Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: JJF - '75 - huh?
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 20, 2010 01:00

NICOS
Could it be that this is a rehealsel instead of a live song just loosen up

I didn't say this .....did I !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: January 20, 2010 05:01

Everyone finished pissing yet?

Most superstar bands don't sound nearly this powerful through a soundboard.

It's a live show in front of a deafening crowd (reportedly at the Forum in LA) - the fact that they begin with Charlie beating out the rhythm, then tune their way into the song, is a good twist if you're open to spontaneity (e.g., Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, and oh, a group called the Rolling Stones).

By the time Keith actually starts the riff, his tone and timber are vintage - mean, hard and very tight. Mick's wild vocals probably sounded great to the audience, as did Ronnie and Keith taken together.

Keith's tuning? Close enough for rock n' roll (don't like it? Listen to Lawrence Welk ... and DON'T listen to Keith's brilliant slide playing on numerous tracks of Let It Bleed).

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 20, 2010 05:19

scaffer
Everyone finished pissing yet?

Most superstar bands don't sound nearly this powerful through a soundboard.

It's a live show in front of a deafening crowd (reportedly at the Forum in LA) - the fact that they begin with Charlie beating out the rhythm, then tune their way into the song, is a good twist if you're open to spontaneity (e.g., Howlin' Wolf, Muddy Waters, and oh, a group called the Rolling Stones).

By the time Keith actually starts the riff, his tone and timber are vintage - mean, hard and very tight. Mick's wild vocals probably sounded great to the audience, as did Ronnie and Keith taken together.

Keith's tuning? Close enough for rock n' roll (don't like it? Listen to Lawrence Welk ... and DON'T listen to Keith's brilliant slide playing on numerous tracks of Let It Bleed).

He is not close to in tune when the main part of the song starts. He and Ronnie are two guitarists in search of a song here. I love my Stones ragged, but this is just lazy.

Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: January 20, 2010 06:57

Is there any footage available of the other (or "better") LA shows?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 20, 2010 13:09

klrkcr
Is there any footage available of the other (or "better") LA shows?

sadly not. We're just treated to this 3rd LA show.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 21, 2010 06:51

Again another example of how shiity the 1975-1976 tour was - Mick was horrible and the band was not much better - and we complain now?!

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: January 21, 2010 14:28

slew -- I appreciate your opinion, but this is my least favorite show of the '75 tour, and it's not a good example of how the band played that year. I will admit that it is fairly representative of Mick's vocal approach, which is less professional than what he delivers now. But, Mick was also more spontaneous and less rigid and emotionally restrained, not to mention the fact that his show was much more entertaining than now --

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 21, 2010 17:44

texas fan
slew -- I appreciate your opinion, but this is my least favorite show of the '75 tour, and it's not a good example of how the band played that year. I will admit that it is fairly representative of Mick's vocal approach, which is less professional than what he delivers now. But, Mick was also more spontaneous and less rigid and emotionally restrained, not to mention the fact that his show was much more entertaining than now --

There were indeed some fine shows on that tour, as the boots will attest. The things I don't like about the tour - the growling by Mick, the sometimes vacant Keith, the influence of Billy Preston - got worse in '76.

Posted by: michel ()
Date: January 21, 2010 18:59

I really like this version, and jagger is just great. Ragged and heavy, its LIVE!!!!!!!

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: January 21, 2010 19:15

This version/video of JJF encapsulates all that was 'wrong' with the Stones' 1975 Tour Of The Americas...the self-indulgent excess, the campy, swishy preening, the sloppy musicianship, the guttural singing, Ronnie's mindlessly repetitive and boring lead guitar lines, the choice of spectacle over authenticity...all the flaws of that tour are distilled into this one song/video...but that is not a fair assessment of the tour as a whole...there was so much more...a lot of it was utterly visceral and rock and roll of the highest order (in the context of its time) and you know what?...as slipshod and shambolic as this version of JJF is, it still kicks the ass of any version of the song they've played live in the last 15 years...I saw them do this song twice during that tour and it was a messy, explosive, ear-deafening detonation!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 21, 2010 19:29

to me that video shows why Keith really needed a good guitar tech ...the Stones have never been about pristine musicianship. the song evventually rocked!

can't see any of that tuning onstage happening now. in that way its kind of authentic, I mean he's always said they're trying to play 'backroom music' on huge stages in front of huge crowds..

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: January 22, 2010 00:04

This was an off night in '75. Probably the most "off" of any night on that tour. It's a shame that the worst performance of the tour is the only show that circulates as a pro-shot in it's entirety.

There were lots of good shows on that tour and I don't think this one is representative at all.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: January 22, 2010 00:40

Erik_Snow
The clip posted by hbwriter comes from the 3rd LA show

Are you sure it's the 3rd LA show? I thought that the 2nd show (July 10) was professionally filmed.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 22, 2010 00:59

texas fan - I do not agree that Mick was more entertaining in 1975 than he is now. In 1978 he was fantastic. I don't like anything about his performance in 75-76. yes the band had some good nights and when they slowed it down and played songs like You Gotta Move Mick was back to being good. There is an awesome clip of Keith playing You Gotta Move from Paris in 1976 and its some of the best playing he has ever done. However the live album which is from 1976 Love You Live does not show the band in good form with the exception of side 3 which of course is the El Mocambo side the rest I can't listen to.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 22, 2010 04:15

Hey michel, you like garbage type performances don't you. Like the one of this thread. Actually, it's much worse than 'garbage' - it's total shite.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: January 22, 2010 04:49

slew -- understood. Thanks for your comments -- I agree with some of it...I was young and impressionable in '75, but I still find it a good listen today...

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: January 22, 2010 06:08

hey thats what they were back then , i doubt anyone came home from a 75 show and told people it sucked, they probably said the show was freakin great tonite!!!!!!!! but 35 years later it sucks????????

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: January 22, 2010 09:36

melillo
hey thats what they were back then , i doubt anyone came home from a 75 show and told people it sucked, they probably said the show was freakin great tonite!!!!!!!! but 35 years later it sucks????????

I know what you mean, but a friend of mind actually said that.
He was at the Milwaukee show and thought it was awful...
and he's a huge Stones fan. He was looking forward to the Wood-Richards
guitar lineup (my friend's a guitar player). He said they were terrible.
He even said the Eagles (who he hates) were better.
His opinion, not mine, so don't send me hate mail.

Posted by: michel ()
Date: January 22, 2010 18:04

skipstone
Hey michel, you like garbage type performances don't you. Like the one of this thread. Actually, it's much worse than 'garbage' - it's total shite.
No skip, its not, its actually great!!!!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1786
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home