Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT - Plant, Page, or J.P. Jones - any USA shows in 07-08?
Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: June 4, 2007 15:44

Jimmy Page announced earlier this year that there would be a "very nice surprises" (or something to that effect) for Led Zeppelin fans in 2007.

Of course, the most optimistic thought "reunion....with Jason Bonham." (Yeah, right.)

Most likely, we'll hear that there is a new DVD or t-shirt available.

Here's are some thoughts, though:

Plant is playing lots of dates in Europe for the second summer in a row, but no shows in the USA planned. I hear snippets of "recording in New Orleans, tribute to Fats Domino, sessions with Allison Kraus," and other stuff, but no new material released yet.

Page, we've been hearing, has been working on a solo album for many months, and I'd like to think that, once released, he would want to play some live dates....somewhere.

Jones seems to be happy playing mandolin and working on his own projects. Somehow I don't see a large John Paul Jones solo US tour in the makings.

So, this leads to my question.....are the three of them done performing in any way in the USA?

Re: OT - Plant, Page, or J.P. Jones - any USA shows in 07-08?
Posted by: andy js ()
Date: June 4, 2007 15:49

well there wont be a Zep reunion if thats what you mean ?

its finished, its over, time to move on

Page needs to understand that

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: June 4, 2007 16:17

Plant is suppose to tour with Alison Krauss in the fall.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: June 4, 2007 16:58

.....hey mongoose, did you happen to see JPJ at MerleFest in April? He sat in unannounced with the Duhks on Saturday afternoon.....here's a YouTube clip:

that's John on mandolin

(I was there but missed that song.....imagine my disappointment when my friends said, "Dude, you just missed John Paul Jones with the Duhks".....D'oh!!!!)

Date: June 4, 2007 17:11

Thanks, Lukester!

No, I know a Zep reunion will never happen. When the DVDs were released, I think Page realized that just by putting those classic 70s performances out to the public there would be no way a "21st Century Zep" would be able to match 'em.

Can't really hear Plant hitting those highest notes anymore, and, as a drummer, I would miss Bonzo.

That being said, though, wouldn't a Page and Plant reunion be nice? And, considering how much JPJ has been getting into bluegrass/acoustic over the years, maybe he could join up with Plant and Allison Kraus for the fall USA tour. The only problem with that scenario would be people with lighters screaming for "Immigrant Song" or that kind of thing!

Date: June 4, 2007 17:16

....that's funny.....after seeing Alison Krauss and Union Station at the MerleFest, I'm having trouble envisioning Robert Plant fans being compatible with her music, and vice versa.......it seems like the fan base for each performer are way too different.....oh well, it would be fertile ground for a JPJ appearance.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: June 4, 2007 17:23

Maybe Page put together another cleaned up/remixed live DVD with all the stuff that didn't make it on the firt 2 - CELEBRATION DAY/HEARTBREAKER - MSG 73, portions of EARLS COURT '75 that were left off, SEATTLE '77 Pro Shot (there's the whole acoustic segment - GOING TO CALIFORNIA, BATTLE OF EVERMORE, MYSTERY TRAIN(Elvis), BLACK COUNTRY WOMAN, BRON-Y-AUR STOMP - I think that's all of them), A few more songs off of KNEBWORTH '79 (especially TEN YEARS GONE which is already a video clip), and, possibly some 1980 European Tour footage (don't know if any was pro-shot, at least one show must have been). Now a new, live disc would be a great surprise, let's hope......

Date: June 4, 2007 17:32

All of that would be cool, HelterSkelter. Yeah, I have to admit, I would enjoy all of that. I've just been hoping for some kind of live show by any ex member of the band.

You sound like you keep up with LZ a good bit. Have you heard anything else about this Allison Kraus/Robert Plant tour?

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: June 4, 2007 18:37

Mongoose Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> That being said, though, wouldn't a Page and Plant
> reunion be nice?

i've got to be honest and say no. Plant's got a really great band of his own now and has no need for Page. last time i saw P&P (at Glastonbury) it was abysmal

contrast that with the last 2 times i saw Plant with the Strange Sensation, which were fabulous

Date: June 4, 2007 18:45

According to Nashville newspaper, The Tennessean's celebrity columnist, Robert Plant (ex-Led Zeppelin) and bluegrass diva Alison Krauss are the collaborators in question. After Plant was spotted at several "see and be seen" Nashville restaurants and clubs in recent days, columnist Beverly Keel started sniffing around and discovered that the seemingly unlikely pair have been in the studio, recording an album of duets under the watchful ear of producer T Bone Burnett. Release date for the album has yet to be announced.

Date: June 4, 2007 19:00

..thanks trainarollin....this I can't wait to hear.....and T-Bone has a good ear for producing.....

Date: June 4, 2007 19:22

I just found this on the net, at the Roanoke, VA website, www.Roanoke.com, dated mid May:

Associated Press: People in Nashville have been talking about your upcoming album with Robert Plant. He's such an influential figure in rock. Can you talk about it?

Kraus: We made an album together that will be out next fall. I have kept in touch with Robert for the past six years on and off, and he suggested making a record together. I suggested T-Bone Burnett [producer] and he did a wonderful job of collecting material. We had a great time.

AP: Will there be a tour?

Kraus: A tour is in the works.

Guess that settles that, huh?

Date: June 4, 2007 19:24

SEE ! and people think I can be nutty with my editorials!

Date: June 4, 2007 20:41

.....yeah train, the story just didn't seem credible 'til mongoose said it (joking)

Posted by: Ricky ()
Date: June 4, 2007 21:08

I read around 6 moths ago that Page is remastering The Song Remains The Same...and that's all

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: June 4, 2007 21:15

John Paul Jones has been working on his next solo album since at least 2005, so I would imagine it will be out within the next year and that he would tour behind it. He toured in the US behind his last 2 solo albums, as well as the tour he did behind his album with Diamanda Galas, so I would assume we'll see Jones touring the US by 2008.

I believe Plant has 2 solo albums in the works, with the Alison Kraus album that has been mentioned and an album with his band the Strange Sensation. I'd imagine that he will tour the US behind each of those.

Page toured behind his Outrider solo album in 1988, so I assume he'd do another solo tour once he releases his new album.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: June 4, 2007 21:39

If the new album is as bad as Outrider there´s no need to tour. I listened to it a while ago and it´s completely boring, both the songs and the production. Strange really, his first real solo album and not a good song on it. Ten years later he did Walking Into Clarksdale with Plant and that one is also, in my opinion, very dull and strangely uninteresting. The best work Page did after Zeppelin I think was the Firm and of course the unplugged project and the mid-nineties tour with Plant. Time to release something listenable now...

Date: June 4, 2007 22:07

.....you know svartmer, after Plant began his solo career it became increasingly evident to me who the ceative genius was behind Zep..... it was Plant, not Page, unless Page lost his muse in the late 70's.......certainly Plant's solo stuff is superb compared to Page's.....and as far as creative genius goes, I am often guilty of overlooking JPJ's contribution to the Zep music....but check him out on this triple neck song...

not bad, not bad at all....

Date: June 4, 2007 22:54

Yeah, JPJ is a very good musician, and he hasn´t lost it a bit.
Page´s last creative spark in Zeppelin was Presence in 1976. After that he didn´t do anything special. In trough the out door was JPJ´s and Plant´s album more or less. I like that one much, but I know it´s considered to be one of their weakest albums. I once talked to the engineer of that one, he said that they were very disciplined and nice to work with. Bonham was by far the most brilliant drummer he had ever recorded, and JPJ was in charge in a way that surprised him. Page wasn´t in his best form in these days and he didn´t contribute much. Just listen to Hot Dog, he couldn´t play it better than that, so they had to keep it. Page also recorded most of the guitar parts with a clean sound and then he distorded them with variuos effects afterwards.

Date: June 4, 2007 23:00

.....I suspected as much about Page...thanks svartmer

Date: June 4, 2007 23:12

Mongoose Wrote:
> All of that would be cool, HelterSkelter. Yeah, I
> have to admit, I would enjoy all of that. I've
> just been hoping for some kind of live show by any
> ex member of the band.
>
> You sound like you keep up with LZ a good bit.
> Have you heard anything else about this Allison
> Kraus/Robert Plant tour?

Naw, I haven't heard ANYTHING at all. Does Plants website say anything? I never know what that boy's up to. Hey, just remembered - A few weeks ago I got a CD/DVD combo (very pro looking boot - GF thought it was real - haha) has all kinds of live Italian TV and shows from the 29 PALMS period. There's a great pro shot clip of Plant doing the Buffalo Springfield song BLUEBIRD (+ a lovely CARPENTER) also has HOOCHIE COOCHIE MAN a few times plus sound only has a rehearsal of LIVING LOVING MAID and The Zombie's - SHE'S NOT THERE (!) + the entire LED ZED reunion for the anniversary of ATLANTIC RECORDS - 5 songs (Kashmir, Misty Mt Hop, Whole Lotta Love, Heartbreaker, Stairway) - really interesting stuff, AMAZON carries it under Plant/Page. Sound is generally really really good and the package looks pro/legit - very well done

Date: June 4, 2007 23:55

Hey, thanks for the info!

In any event, my band, The Amazing Mongooses, has a live version of MOBY DICK on our website, with my tribute on drums to Bonzo. Check it out, at:
[www.myspace.com]

While you're there, give a listen to our CD single, RAINY DAY and DIDN'T THINK YOU'D LIE TO ME.

Thanks for listening!

Date: June 5, 2007 00:10

...damn mongoose....that music is killer.....I see your band is from Atlanta....no way in hell are you not coming over to the Bullpen sports bar June 19 to party with Elmo and the others....I'll save you a seat.....

Posted by: lmatth8461 ()
Date: June 5, 2007 01:51

andy js Wrote:
> Mongoose Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > That being said, though, wouldn't a Page and
> Plant
> > reunion be nice?
>
> i've got to be honest and say no. Plant's got a
> really great band of his own now and has no need
> for Page. last time i saw P&P (at Glastonbury) it
> was abysmal
>
> contrast that with the last 2 times i saw Plant
> with the Strange Sensation, which were fabulous

Wow, when I saw them at Glastonbury, they were great!
Each to his own, I guess.

Lee

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: June 5, 2007 02:17

HelterSkelter Wrote:
> Maybe Page put together another cleaned up/remixed
> live DVD with all the stuff that didn't make it
> on the firt 2 - CELEBRATION DAY/HEARTBREAKER - MSG
> 73, portions of EARLS COURT '75 that were left
> off, SEATTLE '77 Pro Shot (there's the whole
> acoustic segment - GOING TO CALIFORNIA, BATTLE OF
> EVERMORE, MYSTERY TRAIN(Elvis), BLACK COUNTRY
> WOMAN, BRON-Y-AUR STOMP - I think that's all of
> them), A few more songs off of KNEBWORTH '79
> (especially TEN YEARS GONE which is already a
> video clip), and, possibly some 1980 European Tour
> footage (don't know if any was pro-shot, at least
> one show must have been). Now a new, live disc
> would be a great surprise, let's hope......

the MSG '73 footage that didn't make the DVD was too poor to be used...just like that ripping version of Heartbreaker from the RAH '70 gig the video/film was not availible and only a snippet of the audio could be used.

Pagey stated that the '77 Seatle performance was too poor of a show by the band to use...now a Pontiac Silverdome pro-shot video is rumored to be around...outside of the MSG and LA runs the '77 Pontiac Silverdome show was a standout show so keep your fingers crossed.

Ten Years Gone not being part of the Knebworth show still has me scratching my head

as far as any '80 pro-shot videos, I've never heard of any...besides the '80 Euro tour soundboard boots were all stolen from Pagey anyway...so if any '80 tour video is out there Page has it...but I doubt it.

I think the best we can hope for is another live CD release...hopefully from the Japanese tour in '71...which has been confirmed by Eddie Kramet, to have been multi-track recorded...any live release of these shows would be great...they were all monumental shows.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Date: June 5, 2007 14:08

Yeah Rattler2004, I remember that when "How the West Was Won" came out there was serious talk that MANY live shows were gonna come out on CD in the future. I understand Page has alot of multi - track soundboards from all of their tours so, unless he becomes too anal, we should hopefully see more of those live CD's coming out in the next few years. BTW as I'm sure you have, I've seen numerous clips from Seattle '77 and it seems alright to me. The sound might be an 8 or 8.5 as opposed to a 9.5 but I'll take 8.5 to 9 just to get some 77 footage... Jimmy should loosen up slightly (I understand the double DVD box is a HARD act to follow since it recieved totally rave reviews but we can handle it if a new DVD collection is not considered the best of the best. CODA was not the best of the best and Page still put that out so.....

Date: June 5, 2007 14:37

The big problem regarding the ´77 tour is Jimmy Page´s very erratic playing and Plant´s less than convincing singing. There would have to be a lot of cutting and overdubbing. A very time-consuming work.

Date: June 5, 2007 15:03

Hmmm, well, i gotta say I went to 2 '77 shows (San Diego and the last night at the LA Forum) and they didn't seem to be much different than '75 or'73 or'72. Maybe the band, well Plant/Page wasn't quite as tight as those earlier years but it's not like they were a MESS or anything.... I don't know, the band was never perfect live (have to go to the Eagle if one need that) but they were real and they rocked so Page needs to loosen up a bit IMHO and give us some good stuff....

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: June 5, 2007 15:12

I've seen presales for a Knebworth DVD so i assume that's it, out 25th june:

Tracklist includes:
The Song Remains The Same
Celebration Day
Black Dog
Nobody's Fault But Mine
Over The Hills And Far Away
Misty Mountain Hop
Since I've Been Loving You
No Quarter
Ten Years Gone
Hot Dog
The Rain Song
White Summer
Black Mountain Side
Kashmir

Posted by: tattooyou ()
Date: June 5, 2007 15:18

I spotted these the other day. I've seen no mention of them anywhere else, Knebworth is out pretty soon (and the Earls Court one apparently came out in February 2007 and on order with suppliers!?) so I thought if they were official they would have had more of a deal made out of them?

Does anybody know any more?

[www.hmv.co.uk]

[www.hmv.co.uk]

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1369
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home