Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Your Second Rolling Stones show
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 9, 2007 05:48

Well why it's true you never forget your first love. Their has been many a thread about people's first Stones concert. As you would expect. But does anybody remember their second Stones show? I will confess I bring this up mainly because I just acquired the boot from second show. Candlestick Park Oct.18th 1981.......I can't say I remember a lot about this show. I was only 18 and it was already my second stones show. I do remember J Geils & George Thorogood opening. But listening to the boot, sounds like a hell of a show. Love all the between song chatter by Mick.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Re: Your Second Rolling Stones show
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 9, 2007 05:59

Yeah! '81 Detroit/Pontiac was my first show, and my second (and third) was the Steel Wheels tour at Alpine Valley Wisconsin. So there was guite a gap between the first and second, and for me it was quite a different experience. I remember the '81 show in all its ragged glories, and I was stunned by the Steel Wheels show. How different it was! I was very excited by it because of how professional and organized, and so many new songs that I loved but didn't hear at the first show in '81. Yeah, it was glitzy, but I liked it and had always wanted to see a "big" stones show, like the 70's with the full horn section, et. al. Was a great and memorable show...I do remember though that my buddies and I were a bit dissapointed how Ronnie seemed relegated to more of a back up player, as opposed to a member of the group. No more backing vocals from him and his leads seemed more true to the studio versions, especially on You Can't Always Get What you Want. But loved it none the less.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-09 06:02 by whitem8.

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: May 9, 2007 06:24

Foxboro, MA - Voodoo Lounge

I remember that it wasn't really that loud but that could have just been my seats.

"All Down The Line", "Rocks Off", and "Monkey Man" shocked the hell out of me. Voodoo was my last pre-internet tour - I kind of miss the spoiler-free shows.

Posted by: euromik ()
Date: May 9, 2007 06:53

Aaaaahhh, a very fond memory! My second Stones show was..............

WINTERLAND 1972 !!!!! Due to the extreme haziness of those times in the Bay Area, I forget exactly which of the 4 it was - but it still ranks as the BEST of my 70+ shows over the decades.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 9, 2007 06:57

My first 2 Stones shows were at the LA Coliseum 1981 when I was 18 years old.
Both of them were great, although the second day we had better seats.
We thought of getting down to the field, but it was too insane,
so we perched ourselves about 20 rows back and 10 rows up on the side.

Nothing will match the excitement of the first show though.
We were about 40 rows back, and 20 seats up on the side.
Again, there was no use trying to get to the field, it was complete madness.
After months of anticipation and preparation for the show, the memory will live forever.

J. Geils Band was great, as was George Thoroughgood. But Prince was another story...horrible.
Watching him being booed off with bottles and crap thrown at him was hilarious.
I'm not even sure he showed up the second day (can't remember)...I wouldn't have if I were him.
Anyways, that was along time ago, and I've grown to somewhat appreciate Prince since then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-09 07:03 by Hairball.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: May 9, 2007 07:13

Denver Coliseum, Matinee. 1972

Posted by: diane d ()
Date: May 9, 2007 07:16

second show was altamont. not easy to forget that one.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: May 9, 2007 07:43

My second show was at Oakland Stadium. November 14th, 1997.
Highlights included Dead Flowers, Out Of Control, All About You, Wanna Hold You and Little Queenie.
Great opening set by Pearl Jam.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-09 08:02 by erikjjf.

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: May 9, 2007 07:44

the 2 Candlesticks were my first two. First day I got pretty close up front and the second day had seats with bunch of friends. Both shows were pretty similar/identical as far as I remember. Would love to hear the boots. How is the sound??
Winterland, Altamont wow!

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: May 9, 2007 08:26

My second Stones concert was 19 June, 1972 in Chicago.
What an intense experience. Whoa!
(That's me, wearing glasses, in the middle of the picture.)

Photo by Marty Novak.

Posted by: hoodooyouvoodoo ()
Date: May 9, 2007 08:35

August 25th 1990. The 'final bow' with Bill Wyman at Wembley stadium. Awesome gig. even Rock and a Hard place took off that night, that's how much they were on fire. (Ronnie seems to play well when I see the Stones,like 29/9/03 at wembley arena)

juiced up and sloppy

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: May 9, 2007 08:36

That is frigging amazing! INCREDIBLE! You are a lucky man and that is so cool to have your face in the pic! It is interesting how you can see the older man face on Keith which echos more how he looks now (except the hair!). Great shot!

Posted by: kaskatanas ()
Date: May 9, 2007 09:19

Malaga 1998 ....... so close to home than I take with me to a lot of friends!! Everybody obsessed with "Paint It Black" and asking me if they goes to play it, and I (the "expert" stone) answering "no way, they donĀ“t play it from 1990".... many drinks, good fish, lot of sun...... and Paint It Black!!! Who say the life is not great???? smiling smiley

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: May 9, 2007 09:25

1st: 1982. Vienna

2nd: 1990. Berlin, Olympic Stadium - one of the best. 2000 Light Years From Home was the highlight. Very good audience (85 000)

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 9, 2007 10:04

Three years between my first two. Manchester in 73...followed by Leicester and Knebworth in '76.

Posted by: Earls Court 76 ()
Date: May 9, 2007 10:40

Wembley 82 with Black Uhuru and J Geils Band . A wet day , I remember standing on the pitch in puddles and when they opened with Under My Thumb the whole stadium went wild . I took my girlfriend at the time , she was Jamaican so loved Black Uhuru but didn't quite get The Stones . Eventually I decided that I loved Mick & Keith more than her .

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: May 9, 2007 10:54

Berlin, Olympiastadion, June 6th, 1990.
2 weeks after the first show in Hannover.

I remember the crowd on the pitch being ONE
moving mass during Start Me Up. No seats required!

Date: May 9, 2007 10:54

My second show was the VL-tour - Oslo 1995. The show was even better than my first; Oslo 1990, first show.

Posted by: lmatth8461 ()
Date: May 9, 2007 10:56

August 25th 1990. The 'final bow' with Bill Wyman at Wembley stadium. Awesome gig. even Rock and a Hard place took off that night, that's how much they were on fire. (Ronnie seems to play well when I see the Stones,like 29/9/03 at wembley arena)

Interesting, I was at both of these too. However my second Stones gig was one day after my first, went to both of the Wembley stadium shows in 1982.

Earls Court 76 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wembley 82 with Black Uhuru and J Geils Band . A
> wet day , I remember standing on the pitch in
> puddles and when they opened with Under My Thumb
> the whole stadium went wild .

I must admit, I don't remember seeing Black Uhuru there! Saw them at a few Glastonburys during the 80's, though, great band. Certainly remember the rain though. On both days <sigh>.

Lee

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: May 9, 2007 11:33

My second show was in Sweden, Gothenburg, Nya Ullevi 20.06.82. The day after my first one.

Per-Arne

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 9, 2007 11:37

Second was Copenhagen 2003. Killer show.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: downtown suzie ()
Date: May 9, 2007 11:46

Wembley Arena,15 Septemper 2003

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: May 9, 2007 11:50

Rotterdam II, 2003. Much better than Rotterdam I, which was my first show. Two great nights. Remember it very very well, better than the first one. We were FOS, after waiting a great day in the sun, we were drunk, my girlfriend was right next to me (she still is)... what a night.

Jelle

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: May 9, 2007 12:01

diane d Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> second show was altamont. not easy to forget that
> one.

The "funny" thing is - I read this somewhere - that most people in the audience were not aware of the tragedy in the front?

Even the newspapers - allegedly - reported none of it to begin with. Then - of course - they picked up on it in a big way.

Did you, personally, know what was going on front of stage? Or were you only made aware later?

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: May 9, 2007 12:49

Second show for me was Paris Stade de France - the first ever concert at this new stadium. July 1998.

Great show. But was on a very tight budget so didnt get a hotel, just stayed out for most of the night and then tried to get some sleep in the train station before getting the eurostar back to London!

What's your favourite flavour?...........Cherry Red!!

Date: May 9, 2007 13:22

My 2nd and 3rd shows were the two consecutive nights at Wembley Stadium in June 1982. Quite superb and the fact that there was a tube strike and the traffic was at a standstill, so a small army of us walked back into the centre of London, just kept the magic going long after the concert was over.....

Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: May 9, 2007 13:26

1. MSG June 1975
2. Greensboro July 1975

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: May 9, 2007 13:26

my 2nd rolling stones concert was in hongkong 2003
that was a great show
and the rolling stones 1st time in hongkong china

Posted by: stonesfan ()
Date: May 9, 2007 13:31

1e Rai Amsterdam 1970
2e Ahoy Rotterdam 1973, 2e Show (Awsome)

Posted by: short&curlies ()
Date: May 9, 2007 14:04

1st show: Bloomington, IN, July 75--Mick's birthday!
2nd show: Cleveland OH, summer of 78.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1381
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home