Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Your Second Rolling Stones show
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 13, 2007 07:05

Cool, thanks. Fun to hear about it.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: May 13, 2007 07:06

no offense lip, but what the hell are you saying about the second show?.....have you seen two "second" shows?

Date: May 13, 2007 07:09

Thanks Lukester....LOL.........I didn't want to have to ask that question a third time...........No offense Lip.sad smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-13 07:09 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: button_your_lip ()
Date: May 13, 2007 07:12

and I thought it was such an elegant and simple explanation.

Do you two own a coconut farm together?

Let me explain. Tall trees with coconuts that fall

Date: May 13, 2007 07:20

It's a good thing I'm outta beer. Because it would have ended up all over the computer screen,after that last post of yours......What's really scary is that me and Lukester are on seperate coasts,..yet still seem to be on the same schedule....LOL

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: May 13, 2007 07:26

.....well that coconut tree analogy cleared it up for me......................not

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-13 07:27 by Lukester.

Date: May 13, 2007 07:27

You ingested

geritol?

Date: May 13, 2007 07:34

Never Mind...............

Date: May 13, 2007 07:38

thats nof fair!! he edited his post to make me look dumber than I am..lol

Has there ever been a thread about rockstars that age gracefully.

I saw this video last nite...if you can hang til the second (damn theres that word again) song you will see Lulu..geez does she look and sound terrific.

Date: May 13, 2007 08:04

Lukester Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Donkey Girl Scout Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> ........ North Carolina is always fun. There are
> some
> hardcore fans there and the crowd is always
> interesting. A mix of bikers, hippes and college
> kids who still think its 1972. Sometimes it was
> a
> little shaky

>
>
> Thanks for the compliment (as I recall you were
> also at the show at Duke University October 2005).

Yea, I was also at Duke. and was really looking foward to it after Charlottesville and DC. Those crowds seemed, to me anyway, just interested to be seen. Carolina was always a sure bet of having a great time with everyone. Maybe cuz it's mostly locals and not close to big cities like New York etc.
Out in the country, we got some great country songs (Dead Flowers was awesome)
It felt like the old Stones of the 70's with alcohol and weed and all. Charlottesville did not sell beer so that was a welcome.
I love BV's reviews of NC shows.

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: May 13, 2007 10:16

2nd show: Olympiastadion München, July 16th, 2006

Posted by: thumbprint ()
Date: May 13, 2007 16:45

1st show was Boulder, CO Oct 3, 1981. 2nd show was the next day. 7 nineteen year olds drove all night in a hippie-van loaded with dope to get to Colorado for what was then a once-in-a lifetime experience. Two songs into that 1st show my friend Steve turns to me & says, "I know where we're gonna be tomorrow." I said, "That's for #@$%&* sure." 24 years later for my 21st show, I won front row center tickets from a radio station for naming the most Stones songs in 60 seconds. Dreams do come true!

Date: May 13, 2007 19:46

thumbprint Wrote:
> 24 years later for my 21st show, I won
> front row center tickets from a radio station for
> naming the most Stones songs in 60 seconds. Dreams
> do come true!

So how many songs did you name in 60 seconds?

Posted by: thumbprint ()
Date: May 13, 2007 22:12

On the day of the show about 2:30 PM or so a local station announced that the 1st 10 people at the station before 3:00 would compete for front row tickets. I didn't hear it but my best mate did & called me at (I'll never forget) 2:47 & said to get right there. It was pure coincedence (or fate) that I happened to be in the area & I arrived just in time. We all drew numbers & I went 2nd. I was ushered into the radio booth & was put on the air live. I had no idea what was gonna happen & after the two dj's had got me nervous enough they suddenly said "OK, name as many Stones songs as you can in 60 seconds." With notice & no pressure I could've done better but the winning number was 23. They were the best seats in the house, walkway on my immediate right & Mick's mic stand right in front of me. I took some nice photos but I don't have the skills to show 'em here.

Date: May 13, 2007 23:17

Nice story Thumbprint.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: May 13, 2007 23:55

9th July 1995, Don Valley Stadium, Sheffield

Was close to the stage on Ronnie's side. They didn't come on stage until 930, by which time many in the crowd were pissed off but well worth it in the end. £25 ticket & a 24 song setlist. Mick outstanding though some clumsy guitaring from Ronnie at times.

Great memory, perhaps one of the best of my 14 gigs so far (the 1st being 24th Aug 1990 - Bill's 2nd last gig) , no 15 will be at the Stade de France on 16th June.

G

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: May 14, 2007 09:14

My first show : Milwaukee 1975. I skipped my high school graduation to go to the show. Broke out with the measles 3/4th of the way through the show. 2ND SHOW : Chicago 1978 SOME GIRLS TOUR. Like you, I don't recall the performance per say, but certain things stand out. Helping carry a 300 pound OD victim from the field and up two long sets of stairs at Soldiers Field to get her Med. attention. Hoping Jagger would join Peter Tosh on stage during his opening set[bands also included Journey and South Side Johnny and the Asbury Jukes]. The Jag did not appear until their set with a tee shirt that had a swaztica on it. I do do remember that they seemed to be as "UP" for the show as the crowd.

Posted by: forligan ()
Date: May 14, 2007 10:04

Rich Stadium in Buffalo New York...........(1st was 75) Loved the way the band looked in 78, the red plastic on mick killed....tshirt with a swastika and lime green shoes.....keith in white smoking jacket.......ron in red leather.........the tongue stage.........still one of my fave shows even though sound was a bit rough........81......didn't care for it too much.......steel wheels.....now they are serious about production values.....sound was great,etc.
They are the greatest rockn'roll band in the world, no one will ever come close............again.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: May 14, 2007 10:43

East Lansing,Michigan (Voodoo Lounge) . 7th row center was awesome! I swear me and Mick made eye contact during SFM . We pointed at each other and it was awesome!

Posted by: wesley ()
Date: May 14, 2007 15:12

Voodoo in Helsinki 1995. The famous killer riffs didn´t work quite well. It was the second show on the row, and maybe the rustiness had something to do with that..

Of the four gigs I´ve attended (1990,1995,1998 and 2003) I consider VL being the weakest, not saying I didn´t like it. Looking really, really forward this summer!!

Posted by: wineaux ()
Date: May 14, 2007 18:53

Second (and subsequently third) shows were in September 1989 @ Alpine Valley Ski Resort in Wisconsin. Opening act was Living Color. It was a beautiful day and we had lawn seats... we were interviewed by a Chicago news team while tailgating in the parking lot. Most vivid memory of the night was 2,000 Light Years from Home. What a powerful performance!! Would love to see them do that just one more time!! Third show was either the next day or day after (they played 3 shows within 4 days). It was raining and people were sliding down the hill on plastic bags and ponchos. Some were getting knocked over and it was actually getting dangerous. Luckily, we had pavilion seats that night (our neighbors had won them on a local radio station and generously gave them to us), so we had a roof over our heads. We had to park a good 2 miles away and walk to the concert in the rain. When we got home in the wee hours of the AM, there was a huge banner in our neighborhood with the tongue logo and 'HONKY TONK WOMEN" written on it! What a weekend!!

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: May 15, 2007 15:38

The first June 2 1982 the second June 5th the best R&R show i ever saw and i saw a lot!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-15 17:31 by rooster.

Posted by: Valeswood ()
Date: May 15, 2007 16:52

Manofwealthandtaste Wrote:
> My 2nd and 3rd shows were the two consecutive
> nights at Wembley Stadium in June 1982. Quite
> superb and the fact that there was a tube strike
> and the traffic was at a standstill, so a small
> army of us walked back into the centre of London,
> just kept the magic going long after the concert
> was over.....

My 2nd and 3rd shows too. I slept on Euston station overnight (those were the days!). I don't remember the tube strike but there was a British Rail strike because my 4th show was due to be Ashton Gate on 27th June.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-05-15 16:53 by Valeswood.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: May 15, 2007 17:44

very loose way and very funnyGive him some drugs i miss those commentssouthboundtrain Wrote:
> sweetcharmedlife Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > More Mick comments from Candelstick 1981 "Did
> you
> > know the Beatles played thier last show here? A
> > minor bit of useless fuc#ing information for
> > you"....Mick sounds a little buzzed.
>
> Mick had a way of speaking to the audience on the
> '78 and '81 tours that changed in later tours.
> Probably drugs like weed and coke made the
> comments seem a little funny from those tours.

Posted by: AlwaysStoned ()
Date: May 15, 2007 19:48

Reading this thread makes me feel very old! First show was NYC Oct.24, 1964, second show May 29, 1965. Havent been the same since, haven't missed a tour since 1964. Usualy only see one or two shows per tour due to money and location. Those early 60's show were a totaluy different animal then anything post 1969. Early Stones concerts wre like everybody elses- obnoxous local DJ's asa mc, half a dozen bad acts, then the headliner on real fast for five or so songs, 20-30 min. max. However they are great memories, friends, girlfriends exciting times.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1366
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home