Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Time For Reflection - The Rolling Stones In The '00s.
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 1, 2010 11:48

What are your thoughts on The Rolling Stones in the past decade? Discuss albums, tours, releases, solo stuff etc.

JumpingKentFlash

Re: Time For Reflection - The Rolling Stones In The '00s.
Posted by: Scooby ()
Date: January 1, 2010 12:04

A money machine!

Sadly the 00's were very bare on the new releases front with just ABB and the few new cuts on 40 Licks.

Tour-wise as enjoyable as ever, it is the Stones after all!

Personal highpoint was seeing Shine A Light at the Imax in Birmingham, it was awesome on that screen!

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: January 1, 2010 12:09

The worst decade ever...

Some highlights here and there during some shows that's all!

HMN

Date: January 1, 2010 12:17

To be honest the Licks tour defined the decade for me. This marked the moment when the Stones went from being a current act to a nostalgia act. The B2B tour showed them willing to play new material. Once they hit upon the Licks formula they stuck with it - the Bigger Bang tour was the same tour re-badged.

Too many projects left a dissatisfying taste. Live Licks was totally ruined by that awful edit on Rocks Off - I rarely play the album because of it. ABB itself is not a bad album - but after the first month or two I lost the desire to play it. Rarities - some good stuff on there but it would have been better as an expanded more comprehensive collection. Four Flicks was good - but Biggest Bang just trod the same ground.

The highlight of the decade was Shine A Light. Sitting in the front row of the cinema and watching this beats the hell out of seeing them at the enormodome these days - and the set list was interesting.

Other personal highlights - shaking Charlies hand at the 100 Club in June 09.

What of the future? Well, there's Keiths book to look forward to. There will be a tour of some sorts - but it's reached the point where it's like watching an elderley Sinatra. You know what you are going to get and roughly what order you are going to get it in. I'm not going and will save my money for new experiences rather than re-treads of things I've done before.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: January 1, 2010 12:18

i had a GREAT decade with the stones - saw a lot of the world and a lot of the shows! but never got to see "back of my hand".

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 1, 2010 12:34

I saw a shitpile of shows in quite a few countries and had a ton of laughs with a lot of folk I met principally through IORR. All in all a great decade in that respect, bags of great memories and silly photographs. As for the band's output, well nothing can compare to the golden years of decades well past ... so nothing new there. But hey, they're still here, and the fat lady ain't sung yet !!

Posted by: Rosto ()
Date: January 1, 2010 12:50

A lot of tours, not enough new songs, a lot of live releases. I rate this decade as a 6/10.

And I think we entered the final decade...

Let it rock!

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: January 1, 2010 14:50

Probably the only realy interesting new thing of the decade was the Licks formula and the great Four Flicks release. All the other projects and releases felt like routine business and a lot of releases deserved extra attention: Live Licks, Rarities and A Bigger Bang. Biggest Bang was another Four Flicks, but just not as good.

The decade showed a rapid decline in playing abilities, lots of health issues and Jagger still trying to stay current: Goddess, Being Mick, Timberlake in Toronto, Aguilera in Shine A Light and Charmed Life.

Solo wise not much to discuss really. Goddess In the Doorway turned out to be forgettable release, Not For Beginners was solid, but nothing more. Keith grew a moustache, played a pirate and fel out of a tree. Mick's colaboration with Stewart for Alfie resulted in something fresh, though I have to admit I haven't given it a spin in years. Oh, and there were the New Barbarian releases, which were a nice addition to the collection.

The next decade? Well, it doesn't look very promising, does it? I seriously doubt the Stones are prepared to scale down the circus and change their routine. So the next tour probably will be another Vegas spectacle. The only question is: will Keith and Ronnie embarass themselves? I sincerely hope not, because the lack of musicianship on stage was the main problem the last tour.

I wouldn't get my hopes up regarding new music at this point. The creative well has run dry, which is ok when you've become a senior citizen, I guess. I won't be attending several gigs next time 'round, but cherish the great recordings from the last century.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-02 13:14 by mr edward.

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: January 1, 2010 15:22

equal to 90s and pretty much better than 80s (Tattoo You is tough, though)

1 very good studio album that I play quite often
2 very good live albums (SAL OST being the better one)
3 very good videos (Four Flicks being the best one, SAL 2nd and TBB 3rd)
1 very good compilation (Forty Licks) w/ new songs

2 very good tours

come on, cheer up ;^)

Date: January 1, 2010 15:23

oh, and just 8 singles this decade. all time low, of course, but by a mile!

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: January 1, 2010 15:52

It was the decade when their past decisions about career and personal life caught up with them. The Vegas-path (warhorses, high ticket prices, Chuck and his friends) has come to an end, and their health isn't promising. They should either redefine themselves as a group completely, or quit.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 1, 2010 16:17

I think the analysis of mr. Edward is spot on as far as the actual musical output is concerned. The openly nostalgic and retro Licks tour (with a collection album finally covering their whole career and a great new format of four DVD box) could have been a perfect place to left the building with some kind of grace and dignity still left.

But that is as far as objectivity and taking care of the legacy goes - you know, the things critics and the books of history in the future are concerned. For the rest - the band and its faithful followers & casual costumers - there are other things to be remembered from the noughties:

First, the band and its members made themselves once again wealthier than the previous decades taken together. So in purely economical terms - and are there any other criteria in 2010? - Keith is right when he says that it is the "Best Stones Yet". And most likely the enterprise... sorry, the 'band' is getting just better. Future looks bright.

Secondly, the fans did got what they wanted: to see their idols - their tours were so worlwide huge that anyone who has enough financial credibility had a chance or two or dozen or hundred to see the living legends all over the world. "Good to be here, good to be anywhere" to quote the master. It is a routine for us Stones fans to consult our credit cards, pick up our loved ones, relativies, friends and all, and go see the "greatest rock&roll band in the world" once again (and, of course, one of the motivations lyiong behind is the eternal fare: this could be the last time).

Thirdly - and now turn to more subjective side (and I also ease down the sarcasm-level). Thanks to the new technology, the decade has been tremendous for a Rolling Stones fan - and this has nothing to do with the actions of the band itself. Thanks to the net, it has been possible to share thoughts with other Stones fans, share opinions, knowledge, music etc. The torrent, youtube etc. have made it possible to see and hear secret wonders from the past and thereby to experience and reconstruct the glory days again even not being there. Personally I think I have find more hidden gems - and pieces of information - of the history of the Rolling Stones during the decade than I even dared to thought to exist in 2000. And all this mostly for free tongue sticking out smiley I think without this tecnological intervention I might not even consider myself a Rolling Stones fan anymore. But thanks to IORR and all the other treasures and possibilities the net offers, I seem to be more connected to the Rolling Stones dailybase than ever before (or at least since my teenager yaers).

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-01 16:27 by Doxa.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: January 1, 2010 16:34

After the nineties, during which the Stones ruled, the 00s were a disappointment. The Licks tour had its moments, but it turned the Stones into a nostalgia act, that was absolutely not the case in the nineties, even if some papers wrote it. ABB was a good album, but it vasnished from the setlists as the tour went on. The performances during the ABB tour were worse than in the past, Rio and Saitama were good though.In 2007 the guitarplaying was a nightmare, I hate to say it, but it was.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 1, 2010 16:50

Bärs
It was the decade when their past decisions about career and personal life caught up with them. The Vegas-path (warhorses, high ticket prices, Chuck and his friends) has come to an end, and their health isn't promising. They should either redefine themselves as a group completely, or quit.

And the 'funniest' thing is to that thanks to their ever-lasting Vegas-Saga, that was cemented in the noughties, the Stones have succeeded in rewriting themselvels almost totally out the history of interesting music, especially considering their days of true relevance and impact: the 60's. The gap between - to pick our dear theme grinning smiley - the musical legacy of The Beatles and the Stones is bigger than ever. When I was a young fan of the Stones in the early-80's, I could never thought that there will be the day when a re-relaese of YELLOW SUBMARINE will sell more than the re-release of the whole Rolling Stones Records catalog taken together... Even Bob Dylan - the man more of true artistic relevance than that of strong sales - did sell more records in the noughties than the Stones!

- Doxa

Posted by: Tricky76 ()
Date: January 1, 2010 17:05

The 00's were the victory lap of the Stones - the last shattered wave to the crowd of a completely spent force.

Long live the Stones.

Date: January 1, 2010 17:10

They have nothing more to offer.

They shoudl call it quits and step aside.

Then we can all sit back and enjoy the legacy without worrying about the future.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: January 1, 2010 17:13

the decade ended for them after the last Licks show,

Date: January 1, 2010 17:25

Sir Craven of Cottage

Then we can all sit back and enjoy the legacy without worrying about the future.

biggest load of rubbish I can think of. I hate this way of thinking.
there are people who wish they finished it in 1972. or 1966. the Stones, luckily, don't give a flying fvck ;^)
I wouldn't hear so many great songs.
I'm enjoying their legacy without worrying about future, ya shall try, too ;^)

and I'm not trying to be offensive - hey Sir Craven, don't take no offence - but still giving opinion of something that's yet not done ain't wise. ever.

and think of younger fans - many of you here have seen Stones hundreds of times.
I've seen 'em only once in 2007. thank God they were still touring!
I'd pay any price now to go to see them, as they say, turning into parodies of themselves.
I'd pay any price for a show with a following setlist: JJF, SMU, SFM, BS, YCAGWYW and so on, so on... warhorses and nothing more.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: January 1, 2010 17:30

mr edward
Probably the only realy interesting new thing of the decade was the Licks formula and the great Four Flicks release. All the other prjects and releases felt like routine business and a lot of releases deserved extra attention: Live Licks, Rarities and A Bigger Bang. Biggest Bang was another Four Flicks, but less goodm as was the tour it documented.

The decade showed a rapid decline in playing abilities, lots of health issues and Jagger still trying to stay current: Goddess, Being Mick, Timberlake in Toronto, Aguilera in Shine A Light and Charmed Life.

Solo wise not much to discuss really. Goddess In the Doorway turned out to be forgettable release, Not For Beginners was solid, but nothing more. Keith grew a moustache, played a pirate and fel out of a tree. Mick's colaboration with Stewart for Alfie resulted in something fresh, though I have to admit I haven't gave it a spin in years. Oh, and there were the New Barbarian releases, which were a nice addition to the collection.

The next decade? Well, it doesn't look very promising, does it? I seriously doubt the Stones are prepared to scale down the circus and change their routine. So the next tour probably will be another Vegas spectacle. The only question is: will Keith and Ronnie embarass themselves? I sincerely hope not, because the lack of musicianship on stage was the main problem the last tour.

I wouldn't get my hopes up regarding new music at this point. The creative well has run dry, which is ok when you've become a senior citizen, I guess. I won't be going to attend several gigs next time 'round, but cherish the great recordings from the last century.

As far as I am concerned, the post from Mr. Edward is right on the money.. My biggest concern as a long time stones fan IS NOT to see my favorite rock and roll group embarass themselves on stage..I agree that in the last few years the musicianship has suffered. Many who write on this board know damn well that the supporting players on tour with Stones have been carrying their behinds for quite a while now... Sure, they will continue to rake in the big money, but at what cost? To me it doesn't matter whether they decide to keep Ronnie in or bring in another guitarist. I vote for the Stones to retire the circus before they permanently wear out their welcome...

Date: January 1, 2010 17:33

Amused
Sir Craven of Cottage

biggest load of rubbish I can think of. I hate this way of thinking.
there are people who wish they finished it in 1972. or 1966. the Stones, luckily, don't give a flying fvck ;^)
I wouldn't hear so many great songs.
I'm enjoying their legacy without worrying about future, ya shall try, too ;^)

and I'm not trying to be offensive - hey Sir Craven, don't take no offence - but still giving opinion of something that's yet not done ain't wise. ever.

and think of younger fans - many of you here have seen Stones hundreds of times.
I've seen 'em only once in 2007. thank God they were still touring!
I'd pay any price now to go to see them, as they say, turning into parodies of themselves.
I'd pay any price for a show with a following setlist: JJF, SMU, SFM, BS, YCAGWYW and so on, so on... warhorses and nothing more.

Well , good luck to you. I f they tour I really hop you enjoy it. I've seen them 9 times since July 1990 and after two ABB shows at the 02 I deceided that they no longer offered anything but repitition. Of course if you have only seen them once then it's a totally diffrent scenario.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: January 1, 2010 18:01

I saw an amazing show in Baltimore(2006) a couple of others that were great(DC 2003 DC 2005) one not that great Atlantic city 2006. I still listen to ABB and I like SAL. I am excited that the Stones are planning a new tour this year.
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: January 1, 2010 18:14

Tricky76
The 00's were the victory lap of the Stones - the last shattered wave to the crowd of a completely spent force.

Long live the Stones.

victory lap? that's MY LINE! and yes, they really got the whole victory lap thing down to an art form, eh?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 1, 2010 18:15

Creatively, a wasted decade - far more than the drought which drove the band apart for much of the 80s. The main raison d'etre was to pad the retirement fund, so in that sense it was a great one.

I got to see them 26 times, had terrific fun in several different countries every time with people I'd not have met but for the Stones - and many of those shows were excellent, so I'm very grateful for all of that - but as a fan of their music I just wish they'd devoted even a quarter of their efforts to artistic endeavour and preserving/enhancing their legacy than they did in accumulating enough wealth to pay off the national debt of the average African country.

A pity, because I genuinely think they have some good music left in them if they can see past the dollar signs and be bothered to try. Hopefully this decade - which will almost certainly be their final one - will see them redefine themselves as a band, but I'm not optimistic unfortunately. There's too much money in nostalgia and it doesnt require much effort.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2010-01-01 19:00 by Gazza.

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: January 1, 2010 18:44

Musically : Worst - just one album.... not artistically up their par.
Tours: Vegas circus money machine not for my taste. A lot of posing and not a lot of jammin´, Michael Cohl should be shot.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: January 1, 2010 19:03

Sir Craven of Cottage

agree.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 1, 2010 19:18

I would say that the Stones are certainly not the creative force that they once were. Mick and Keith do not have the lyrical wit of a Dylan to write mature songs. That being said here are some other thoughts:

1) The Licks tour for me with the three different shows was outstanding it was after all an anniversary tour and a time to reflect on the back catalog. I thought their playing on the Licks tour was outstanding.

2) Four Flicks and the Biggest Bang were very good releases. Four Flicks is absolutely outstanding and Bang has its moments.

3) A Bigger Bang was a pretty good album - I would have like more new releases.

4) The Bang tour was good pre-tree fall Keith was not the same after that.

5) Mick Jagger is a freak of nature he is amazing for his age. I know he is not what he once was but he still has "it".

6) The live albums were disappointing. Live Licks disc two is ok but the Rocks Off edit mars it badly. Disc one is pointless. Shine A Light has some good moments but could have been better.

7) Shine A Light was disapointing being directed by Martin Scoreses I expected more.

8) Mick and Keith really need to sit down with ABKCO and discuss the back catalog. The Stones are not showing their fans any love in this respect. Work out a deal with them and do something interesting with the back catalog.

9) The remasters are not worth buying there is nothing but the same songs. The Who though I am not a big fan of the mixing job that was done had out takes and rare live recordings on every re-release the Stones should take note.

10) If Mick and Keith don't have new material sift back through the vaults and do another Tattoo You. The material is there we all have it in un-released form.

11) Going forward scale down the shows and Mick stand still and focus on music there are plenty of songs you've never played that the true fans would love to hear. NO MORE STADIUMS PLEASE!! Its been done to death, The small shows on FOur FLicks are fantastic more energy and more passion in the performances.

I do not think that they have become a Vegas act as some of you do. I am glad that they were still able to perform for us this past decade.

If they are going out on the road make sure everyone is healthy and can still play well I would hate to see them embarass themselves if they go out and can't do it.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: January 1, 2010 19:19

Doxa
Bärs

And the 'funniest' thing is to that thanks to their ever-lasting Vegas-Saga, that was cemented in the noughties, the Stones have succeeded in rewriting themselvels almost totally out the history of interesting music, especially considering their days of true relevance and impact: the 60's. The gap between - to pick our dear theme grinning smiley - the musical legacy of The Beatles and the Stones is bigger than ever. When I was a young fan of the Stones in the early-80's, I could never thought that there will be the day when a re-relaese of YELLOW SUBMARINE will sell more than the re-release of the whole Rolling Stones Records catalog taken together... Even Bob Dylan - the man more of true artistic relevance than that of strong sales - did sell more records in the noughties than the Stones!

- Doxa

Yes, I agree. When I started listening to them in the early nineties they seemed invincible. I couldn't believe my fortune to have found a band that not only made great music, but also was the leading creative cultural force on earth (or so I believed...). They did everything right. Now I got these paternal instincts that I want to protect them from completely destroying their legacy, and many seem to feel the same. The biggest humiliation is that I feel I would rather see Mr. McCartney again than the Stones, and that hurts to say. He played with huge confidence, he played a lot of material, he was sober, he connected with the audience genuinely, he seemed to really enjoy bringing his music to the audience. I felt the same about the Stones in 1995, 1997 and 1998, but Licks and Bang represented an almost unbelievable drop in all categories. The Stones now resemble a christmas gift that is wrapped in beautiful cover ("the rock show"), but empty inside ("the music). Their challenge would be to get rid of the show element (we've seen it all) and stress the musical element and just enjoy creating music for their fans. Unfortunately I think their self confidence isn't up to it. When did they loose their confidence?

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 1, 2010 19:23

Bars - I can see your point about the Bang tour but I loved the Licks tour I thought they played great.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: January 1, 2010 19:25

I enjoyed and still enjoy Four Flicks. I even enjoyed Licks Live - at least the second disc. The first disc is just mostly garbage (I like Brown Sugar and I like SFM but why they didn't use the MSG version of SFM is still astounding).

I enjoyed A Bigger Bang (most of it). I did not and do not enjoy The Biggest Bang.

I enjoyed Shine A Light...in the movie theatre for the one time. I bought the double album, listened to it twice and put it away. It's amazing they put the Keith songs on it. I bought the DVD thinking it might be good to see it again. Up until they play, yes, it was. When they started playing, no. It's amazing Keith was allowed to do Connection and Little T&A. Just incredibly floored at how bad those are.

That's it for me. Not very encouraging is it. Forty Licks was not really worth buying for the new songs, one of which that was good (Losing My Touch), one that was OK (Don't Stop) and the other two that are just awful. I did enjoy hearing the ABKCO tunes properly remastered though.

I liked A Bigger Bang. It's better than Dirty Work, Voodoo Lounge, Steel Wheels and maybe, I dunno, what else? Ah, gotta go way back - it's better than Their Satanic Majesties Request. At least in the 1980s they put out two good albums (Tattoo You and Undercover). In the 1990s they only put out 2 new albums.

In the 2000s they only put out one album. I'm sure for the 20teens (2010s? 10s? Tens isn't really 'teens' is it) they will do the same.

One can see how it's just become more and more of a nostalgia act.

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: January 1, 2010 19:39

Loudei
Musically : Worst - just one album.... not artistically up their par.
Tours: Vegas circus money machine not for my taste. A lot of posing and not a lot of jammin´, Michael Cohl should be shot.

Well, I'm sure Cohl does exactly the job he's asked to do but I guess it's more diplomatic to call for his head than those of the Stones? winking smiley

Agree with almost everything that's been posted on this thread. At one time I used to side with the optomists in these discussions and it's very apparant that they have diminished in number to the point of becoming an endangered species.

Sadly, the final night at the O2 was something of a turning point for me. Maybe they were never going to top the second night but there was a feeling that they weren't even trying. (Especially Keith.) They need to leave people wanting more whereas I felt that I'd had enough.

The recent release of extra Ya Yas material only highlights the extent of the decline. Having said that I agree with Gazza that they have something left in them if they can be bothered. And like him, I'm not optomistic.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1906
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home