Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: The latest rumour about this years possible tour.
Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: January 3, 2010 00:53

flacnvinyl
Clapton would challenge the Stones, in particular Keith. The Riffster himself would have to man up and play some serious rhythm guitar and let Clapton take the solos. This would be blast!

If only Keef were still capable of playing serious rhythm guitar! He seems to play more lead these days because lead may be easier on his knuckles than forming all those chords.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: January 3, 2010 01:33

oldschool
Brue wrote:

saw Clapton/Winwood this year, and Clapton might have even been ripping too fast. It was unreal. Winwood was singing the lead on some of Clapton's songs, and he really tore it up when they did that. If Clapton doesn't have to sing, and he wouldn't for the Stones, he'd be apeshit on the guitar. I just don't think he would have any patience for the whole thing - he used to call the Stones 'the funfair every night'. Certainly not for a year and a half. Seems like all of Clapton's tours are like a month or two then he takes a break thesedays.

Agree with you on him maybe not wanting to do it for a long tour but do not agree that he would be "apeshit" on guitar.

The difference is on his tour with Winwood he was the main attraction where as with the Stones he would be a support musician. He was also very excited to be playing with Winwood and was probably showing off a little...
Yeah he was insane. He went off. You could tell he was excited. I saw them on like the third or fourth show in DC.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: January 3, 2010 07:34

the latest rumor in chicago (wxrt 93fm radio) is that ron is out of the band and they're auditioning for a new guitarist.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: January 3, 2010 11:07

Hey! You! Get off of that booze
Mick Jagger tells Ronnie Wood to quit drink or face sack from Rolling Stones

ROLLING Stone Mick Jagger will give hard-drinking Ronnie Wood an ultimatum - quit booze or be DITCHED from the band's tour.

Ronnie's worried family have asked Mick to get his bandmate into rehab to tackle his two bottles of vodka a DAY habit.
It follows a Christmas Eve showdown as ex-wife Jo and kids Leah and Tyrone begged veteran guitariest Ronnie to get help.
A source said: "Ronnie's on a path to self-destruction. His daily alcohol intake is over 50 UNITS."
Frantic Jo, 54, phoned Mick and pleaded with him to help. "If anyone can make Ron listen it's the band," said the source.
If the 62-year-old rocker doesn't clean up, he faces being dumped from the Stones' forthcoming tour, set to be announced in April.
The source went on: "Mick is making it clear to Ronnie he must curb the drinking or he won't be coming on tour.
"He won't let Ronnie's boozing derail the band's plans and already has possible replacements in mind."
But Mick, 66, will support Ronnie - cautioned for assaulting ex-lover Ekaterina Ivanova, 21.
His pal Nick Charles runs Gainsborough Foundation rehab in Cambs.
Nick warned: "Ronnie looks as if he is heading for tragedy. I'd fix him up."

[www.newsoftheworld.co.uk]

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: January 3, 2010 11:45

ronnie out clapton in :
would make me travel over half the world to see them..
would be very interesting to experience how ec and kr would interact musically
a (rock) world historical thing really

sorry ronnie but ec happens to be an absolute favourite of mine.........

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 3, 2010 12:07

little queenie
the latest rumor in chicago (wxrt 93fm radio) is that ron is out of the band and they're auditioning for a new guitarist.

Holy Jeez, you actually heard that on the radio ? Gulp !

Date: January 3, 2010 12:23

This article goes back to July 2008, early days in the Woodie/Kat thing. Apparently he was knocking back up to two bottles of vodka per day at that time. Not a lot's changed, neither does he appear to have learnt anything, in the last 18 months ... so it seems to me. It is getting kinda difficult not to conclude that he he is in fact hell bent on self destruction. I for one won't be surprised if over the forthcoming days or weeks, more and more rumours start emerging that in fact the Stones ARE genuinely looking for a replacement guitarist. I might be proven wrong, but ................ ???????

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

Date: January 3, 2010 12:40

Addicted
I'm just glad I didn't read this untill today. And that I didn't post anything after noon on Dec 31st. (London was LOVELY!)

For all those who think Ronnie's been fired - It's NO! NO he has NOT been fired. (I've received some mails regarding the issue.)

Clapton and Taylor are both absolutely unlikely in a Stones line-up. And that is IF they have to tour without Ronnie.
Personally I now think he'll get the help he needs t get his life back on track again, and get rid of his deamons. (Alcohol, first and foremost)
The Stones don't want to leave him behind when they go on tour and will do everything in their power to support Ronnie.

I'm no longer confident that I can agree with you. I'm inclined to think that his seeming reluctance to try and help himself, and/or furthermore accept help from various quarters, is eventually going to exhaust the patience of those that love him and ARE trying to do things for him. And IF that band is genuinely planning a tour later this year, then at some point in time they're simply going to have to draw a line under the "Ron issue" ... surely ?

Rather like the person that "cries wolf" once too often, so too the person that doesn't show willing to help themselves only alienate themselves in the end.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: January 3, 2010 16:18

too many egos with clapton, it would never work

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: January 3, 2010 16:28

melillo
too many egos with clapton, it would never work

If you had said this about Jeff Beck joining the band I would agree but Sir Eric would fit in just fine

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: January 3, 2010 17:10

It won't be the same with a stranger

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 3, 2010 17:15

Agree with Tatters. Some Girls was the last Stones LP Ronnie made a significant contribution to. All down hill from there.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 3, 2010 18:36

paulywaul
little queenie

Strikes me as someone just reading the reports on the web that its an 'option' and is now just saying that its a 'rumour' that he's 'out'.

Its not exactly a big step from one story to it being twisted into a 'rumour'. They havent decided anything yet, and I seriously doubt they will make any decision until such time as they try everything they can to make sure Ronnie's'usable'.

Posted by: rollin93 ()
Date: January 3, 2010 18:50

Eric Clapton just doesn't fit to the Rolling Stones, he wanted the Job 1969 and maybe he wants the job still today, but in my opinion they should let decide Ronnie if he is fit enough to start a Tour, and if not, then they should wait until Ronnie is ready to rock.

Date: January 3, 2010 18:57

rollin93
Eric Clapton just doesn't fit to the Rolling Stones, he wanted the Job 1969 and maybe he wants the job still today, but in my opinion they should let decide Ronnie if he is fit enough to start a Tour, and if not, then they should wait until Ronnie is ready to rock.

for the long term I agree Sir Eric is not the right fit for the Stones but as a stand in for one tour I don't think he would have a problem...

If Ronnie is not fit for this tour what makes you think things will improve anytime soon?? The boys are not geting any younger so waiting does not seem like a viable option at this point. If they are going to tour 2010 is the year or it is time to just hang it up.........

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 3, 2010 19:24

71Tele
Agree with Tatters. Some Girls was the last Stones LP Ronnie made a significant contribution to. All down hill from there.

Actually, what I said was, SG is the only great album he played on, and while this isn't really his fault (he wasn't hired for his songwriting after all), it does mean that he joined the band too late to play on their best recordings. It's his absence from those recordings that makes him, in my mind, at least, replaceable. But in the studio, he can really only be as good as the material Mick and Keith are writing at the time. Just as Ronnie couldn't prevent Emotional Rescue from being a stinker, so too, MT couldn't prevent GHS and IORR from being lesser than their predecessors. Would Sticky and Exile have been great WITHOUT Taylor? Well, Beggars and LIB were great without him, so I don't see why Sticky and Exile wouldn't have been as well.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: January 3, 2010 20:00

tatters
71Tele

Actually, what I said was, SG is the only great album he played on, and while this isn't really his fault (he wasn't hired for his songwriting after all), it does mean that he joined the band too late to play on their best recordings. It's his absence from those recordings that makes him, in my mind, at least, replaceable. But in the studio, he can really only be as good as the material Mick and Keith are writing at the time. Just as Ronnie couldn't prevent Emotional Rescue from being a stinker, so too, MT couldn't prevent GHS and IORR from being lesser than their predecessors. Would Sticky and Exile have been great WITHOUT Taylor? Well, Beggars and LIB were great without him, so I don't see why Sticky and Exile wouldn't have been as well.

OK, sorry if I misunderstood what you said...BUT: Sticky and Exile would certainly have been different without Taylor, I chose not to speculate as to whether they would have been as good. Some Girls was a great record, and it marked Ronnie's full integration into the band. At the time I was hopeful for the future. I maintain that they never made an album after that where Ronnie's contribution was as key to the finished product. Was part of that because Mick & Keith were no longer writing songs as vital as on Some Girls? Yes.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 3, 2010 20:30

Gazza
paulywaul
little queenie

Strikes me as someone just reading the reports on the web that its an 'option' and is now just saying that its a 'rumour' that he's 'out'.

Its not exactly a big step from one story to it being twisted into a 'rumour'. They havent decided anything yet, and I seriously doubt they will make any decision until such time as they try everything they can to make sure Ronnie's'usable'.
Exactly Gazza. Been a very long time since american rock radio stations broke any news.I've heard local stations repeat almost verbatim,stuff posted on Stones fan sites.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: January 3, 2010 21:05

uh oh, that kind of worries me a bit but it still doesnt mean its true, my local new york classic rock station only said the stones are ready to roll in 2010, no mention of ronnie being out, and this was only yesterday

Date: January 3, 2010 21:23

IMO, Clapton hasn´t been an interesting guitar player since the 70s. Of course, they´ll never bring him in...

Posted by: wolfi ()
Date: January 3, 2010 21:35

@Dandelion Powderman:

Have you seen/heard EC with Steve Winwood on the DVD from MSG ?

Date: January 3, 2010 21:39

DandelionPowderman
IMO, Clapton hasn´t been an interesting guitar player since the 70s. Of course, they´ll never bring him in...

He is still a great guitar player who can play with the best of them when he want to turn it on but he prefers to stay in the background for the most part these days........

In any case what does that have to do with his ability to play with the current Stones?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 3, 2010 22:32

melillo
uh oh, that kind of worries me a bit but it still doesnt mean its true, my local new york classic rock station only said the stones are ready to roll in 2010, no mention of ronnie being out, and this was only yesterday

Trust me, Mark - when the Stones announce anything worth a damn it'll be on fan sites before radio stations get anywhere near it.

Date: January 3, 2010 23:12

"ec does not fit rs "

ec is as we all know, a dedicated and very able and fit guitarman and similar age as the stones
and would if given the opportunity undoubdedly increase the standard of their plaing.
he is so fit that they could fire half of their backup staff.. !

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: January 3, 2010 23:32

wolfi
@Dandelion Powderman:

Have you seen/heard EC with Steve Winwood on the DVD from MSG ?

Heard it on New Year's Eve at a party I went to.

Date: January 4, 2010 01:01

DandelionPowderman

hei Baard !
happy new year

dont know if he is interesting or not !¨smiling smiley
he would PLAY the guitar
not like our keith and ronnie
they a just fiddling with their guitars so to speak,

heija norge !

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: January 4, 2010 07:27

I don't think Ronnie will ever be "kicked out" of the Stones. At most they would probably say he is on temporary leave to deal with his medical issues, and will rejoin the band later in the tour, if it starts without him... Even Brian was told he could come back after he was "sacked"... Maybe it could be a tour with Keith, Ron, and Eric on guitars... Now that would be worth seeing...

Date: January 4, 2010 09:06

Uh oh is right... That in fact could be their strategy!
They might be planning an abbreviated tour - not the massive global type. Only play in key markets with Clapton or etc as special guest ... Beck (Jeff and the other guy), Tina, Steve Winwood, Little Steven, Thoroughgood, Mellenkamp, SnoopDog; a Jazz-y star to please Charlie, or whoever they choose. They will keep Ronnie around (unless he is falling down drunk).
It will mean for many fans having to spend money to travel to see a show, and of course, sky-high ticket price$.

Date: January 4, 2010 10:23

oldschool
DandelionPowderman

He is still a great guitar player who can play with the best of them when he want to turn it on but he prefers to stay in the background for the most part these days........

In any case what does that have to do with his ability to play with the current Stones?

If they should decide to bring in a new guitar player, it would have been crucial to me if it was an interesting guitar player. Clapton can play rounds around most of the current guitar players out there, yes. But he lacks soul, signature and an interesting style, imo.

Just my two cents.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: January 4, 2010 10:30

sweetcharmedlife
Gazza
paulywaul
little queenie

Exactly Gazza. Been a very long time since american rock radio stations broke any news.I've heard local stations repeat almost verbatim,stuff posted on Stones fan sites.

i agree that it's been twisted. a friend announced it to me at dinner last night and his take was confident about the report. that's another layer of hearsay.

i still think there will be a rehab stint which will give everyone hope. i suspect they'll start the tour with ronnie...i just hope they end it with him!
xox

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1572
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home