Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: We Love You Promo in FANTASTIC quality!!!
Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: December 22, 2009 21:41

Well, love was in the air during 1967...grinning smiley

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: December 22, 2009 21:53

jamesfdouglas
Turd On The Run
The Beatles took care to only release top-shelf stuff.

The Magical Mystery Tour movie, top shelf stuff indeed!
tongue sticking out smiley

Touché. Nevertheless, compared to the Stones' We Love You promo-film mish-mash, even the Beatles' most pedestrian material looks positively "Kubrik-ian"...

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 22, 2009 23:06

Turd On The Run
Sacke
NICOS
Maybe you should see the clip in his time

'bad-home-movie status'?: Watch the horrible video of Child of the Moon!!
But I think that this We Love You video is not that bad, we're talking 1967.

Yes...VERY bad home-movie status. Look at the Beatles promo film/"video" for Stawberry Fields Forever. Also filmed in 1967. A masterpiece and a compelling piece of early Psychedelia. The Beatles took care to only release top-shelf stuff.

The Stones film of We Love You suffers terribly in comparison. There is no cogent theme...just a silly mash-up and amateur-status 'acting' by Keith and Mick and Marianne. The piece looks as if it was directed and edited by an Albanian on acid (no disrespect meant to any groovy Albanians). As much as I love the trippy vibe of the song, I find the promo film a shoddy, off-hand piece of garbage...especially in contrast to what the Stones' Liverpudian mates were producing in that same time frame. Embarrassing.

You call this video an "A masterpiece and a compelling piece of early Psychedelia" jumping around a tree?

By the way the song it self is a master number two in my top 10

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 22, 2009 23:20

mitchflorida
It reminds me of All You Need is Love, no??

have you listened to the song (either)? They're nothing alike.

I don't see the grounds for calling "We Love You" "poorly written," either. The main melody is drawn out but intriguing, and the bridge is by contrast straightforward and very powerful, reminiscent of the bridge to "Have You Seen Your Mother." Then brian's mellotron work takes the song to another level.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-22 23:23 by cc.

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: December 22, 2009 23:34

Everyone remarked that Satanic Majesties was just the Rolling Stones trying to copy the Beatles' success with Sgt. Pepper. Even John Lennon complained about that.

Some of the songs are quite good, but way too over-produced, and inferior to the stuff they did before and after that album.

"Have you seen your Mother, baby, standing in the shadow" was a rather forgettable single . . too formulaic. I would have loved to hear them go more into the "What To Do" direction.

[popup.lala.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-22 23:37 by mitchflorida.

Date: December 22, 2009 23:36

Your the first that mention this

Posted by: Sacke ()
Date: December 22, 2009 23:46

Then brian's mellotron work takes the song to another level.

Weeew, that's for sure! Not that many bands were using the mellotron at that moment. And when bands (like the Moody Blues and Beatles) used it, they really didn't use it in this nasty, groovy and distorted way Brian played it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-22 23:50 by Sacke.

Posted by: Turd On The Run ()
Date: December 22, 2009 23:50

NICOS
Turd On The Run
Sacke
NICOS
Maybe you should see the clip in his time

'bad-home-movie status'?: Watch the horrible video of Child of the Moon!!
But I think that this We Love You video is not that bad, we're talking 1967.

Yes...VERY bad home-movie status. Look at the Beatles promo film/"video" for Stawberry Fields Forever. Also filmed in 1967. A masterpiece and a compelling piece of early Psychedelia. The Beatles took care to only release top-shelf stuff.

The Stones film of We Love You suffers terribly in comparison. There is no cogent theme...just a silly mash-up and amateur-status 'acting' by Keith and Mick and Marianne. The piece looks as if it was directed and edited by an Albanian on acid (no disrespect meant to any groovy Albanians). As much as I love the trippy vibe of the song, I find the promo film a shoddy, off-hand piece of garbage...especially in contrast to what the Stones' Liverpudian mates were producing in that same time frame. Embarrassing.

You call this video an "A masterpiece and a compelling piece of early Psychedelia" jumping around a tree?

By the way the song it self is a master number two in my top 10

Yes, I indeed call this a "masterpiece"...in the context of its' time. When this came out it kinda blew people's minds. Looking at this film today it might seem somewhat primitive and unsophisticated, but at the time of its release it was considered a breakthrough. The template for the era of the music video was further refined and expanded with this film. I have directed music videos, and I can tell you that the Beatles' Strawberry Fields Forever promo film is very influential...and I still - today - find it very compelling. (and I agree, the song is a masterpiece)

Having said that...We Love You (the song) is also a trippy delight...

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 22, 2009 23:54

mitchflorida
Everyone remarked that Satanic Majesties was just the Rolling Stones trying to copy the Beatles' success with Sgt. Pepper.

that doesn't mean they were correct. These comments are just cliches, repeated since the album was released.

And your post I was replying to was about your trollish attempt to compare "We Love You" to "All You Need Is Love," not TSMR and Sgt. Pepper. Nice of you to change the subject rather than to respond.

mitchfullofshit
Some of the songs are quite good, but way too over-produced, and inferior to the stuff they did before and after that album.

"Have you seen your Mother, baby, standing in the shadow" was a rather forgettable single . . too formulaic. I would have loved to hear them go more into the "What To Do" direction.

this is nonsense. "Have You Seen Your Mother" is anything but formulaic--a failed experiment, perhaps. And what "direction" would "What to Do" have represented? This absurd comment is the closest you've come to being amusing.

Date: December 22, 2009 23:57

Then we agree on two things ......and that's great

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 23, 2009 01:48

@cc - lol, and I couldn't agree more

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: December 23, 2009 02:06

Have You Seen Your Mother was a copy of Mother's Little Helper, neither of which have really stood up the test of time. mother's little helper was a hypocritical song , considering how the Stones were all druggies during that period.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: December 23, 2009 02:12

Sacke
Weeew, that's for sure! Not that many bands were using the mellotron at that moment. And when bands (like the Moody Blues and Beatles) used it, they really didn't use it in this nasty, groovy and distorted way Brian played it.
Very true. The guy had an amazing talent for the instrument and made sound very special anytime he used it. The strings on 2000 Lightyears are outstanding and the flutes on Jigsaw Puzzle...man I wish we could have had more of this from him.
Some might unfairly claim that Brian dabbled a lot with the instruments he played. I say - just listen to his wonderful playing on the harmonica, slide, dulcimer and mellotron.

Amazing quality on this clip! Big thanks for sharing. Poor Brian. Horrible decision to show this footage of him in the video. They could have done something better and more constructive. But I guess it was a new way to bully him...again.

But that cool footage of him playing the tanpura made me wonder. The only song that I know of by the Stones where Brian played the tanpura is Street Fighting Man and that is a year later than this! Could there be some nice unreleased material where he play the tanpura? Because the sure isn't any tanpura on We Love You...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-23 02:17 by tonterapi.

Posted by: Brue ()
Date: December 23, 2009 02:14

Good job Blueranger. Whoever cleaned it up - completely solved it technically. There wasn't a spot on that thing. Outstanding. Good video too. In any era.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: December 23, 2009 11:45

tonterapi
But that cool footage of him playing the tanpura made me wonder. The only song that I know of by the Stones where Brian played the tanpura is Street Fighting Man and that is a year later than this! Could there be some nice unreleased material where he play the tanpura? Because the sure isn't any tanpura on We Love You...

Maybe there´s some on "Satanic"? (Isn´t it called tamboura in English?)

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: December 23, 2009 13:30

mitchflorida
Have You Seen Your Mother was a copy of Mother's Little Helper, neither of which have really stood up the test of time. mother's little helper was a hypocritical song , considering how the Stones were all druggies during that period.

A Copy of Mothers Little Helper? Jeeeeez, why? Because of "Mother" in both titles? Then Atom Heart Mother by Pink Floyd must be a copy of both Have You Seen... and Little Helper, too.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: December 23, 2009 14:16

rootsman
Maybe there´s some on "Satanic"? (Isn´t it called tamboura in English?)
Yes, maybe there is one hidden deep in the mix somewhere. It's a sound that stands out normally so I think one would hear it.

Tanpura is the name used in north of India and Tambura/Tamboura is used in the south. I prefer to use tanpura since there's another european lute known as tambura.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2515
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home