Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

ot: tom petty- live anthology
Date: December 16, 2009 08:26

did anyone get this? how is it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-16 08:26 by keefriffhard4life.

Re: ot: tom petty- live anthology
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 16, 2009 13:35

Must say I fully intended to pick it up Monday - had a 10% off coupon for BestBuy, but you can't use it on sale items, and the Petty box is on sale until 1/4/10? I think it is, so unfortunately no, I've not gotten it yet. I've fallen far behind on my boxsets and I have to say the price of them is outta control these days. The Petty one is $100. I still need to get the Neil Young DVD version one at $250, and the new AC/DC one is $200-250 too I believe...

Hell even the new Ya-Ya's box was a bit much at a $100. Thankfully it was on sale at Amazon for $72 and I signed up for their credit card to save another $30, so it didn't work out to be too too much! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-16 13:36 by VoodooLounge13.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: December 16, 2009 13:36

Avoid!!!!

Yes, this release does has it's moments, but anything remotely worth listening to on this 4 CD compilation is already included on the far-superior 1985 "Pack Up The Plantation" live album; i.e. the likes of The Waiting, Breakdown, Refugee, Insider, Southern Accents etc.

The sad fact of the matter however, is that he just can't cut it as a live act, and since his partnership with Jeff Lynne at the end of the eighties, Petty's material has become somewhat over-reliant upon crisp, vibrant, studio production; all of which would explain a glaring absence of this more recent material, replaced instead, by the odd, cringeworthy, accoustic sing-along.

In my wildest dreams, I cannot imagine anyone wanting to listen to so many inferior, unauthentic, cumbersome blues standards; nor can I visualise someone at home tapping their feet along to the theme of Goldfinger.

Worse still are the seemingly endless number of songs which Petty chooses to stop halfway through, in order to introduce long spells of tedious-beyond-words audience participation, serving only to turn a hitherto half-decent, three-minute rocker into an eight-minute dirge.

The whole of this 4 CD compilation could have made a listenable 4-track EP.

Seriously.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 16, 2009 13:59

What about the DVD boxset? Anyone heard that?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 16, 2009 15:44

I actually disagree with Logie. I think it is a stunning collection. From the inception of The Heartbreakers to their recent gigs, there is a treasure trove of incredible performances. ANd some really odd ones at that! A killer version of GOld Finger and Green Onions. The collector's edition is very very nice! Lots of care and attention to detail. All in all a very solid box set, and well worth the price. If you can splash for the deluxe version, I highly recommend it. Beautiful.

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: December 16, 2009 16:21

I think TP is great live. I really enjoyed the Running down a dream DVD.
What bothers me is the huge price difference between the normal Live Antholoy (€ 29.99 for four disks) and the deluxe edition (€ 109.99 for six disks).

VD
Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: December 16, 2009 16:28

whitem8
I actually disagree with Logie. I think it is a stunning collection. From the inception of The Heartbreakers to their recent gigs, there is a treasure trove of incredible performances. ANd some really odd ones at that! A killer version of GOld Finger and Green Onions. The collector's edition is very very nice! Lots of care and attention to detail. All in all a very solid box set, and well worth the price. If you can splash for the deluxe version, I highly recommend it. Beautiful.

TOTALLY AGREE with whitem (but you have to get the deluxe version at Best Buy, twice as much music !!! + 2 DVD's and a Blue Ray Disc)... Logie, WTF are you thinking my man, this Box KICKS ASS !!! Go for it....

Posted by: R ()
Date: December 16, 2009 16:31

I think it's exceptional. I'm not a huge fan primarily because I've been overexposed to Petty on FM radio but I find the collection combines enough quality obscure stuff with the hits that it's a tefrrific listen. Each disc has its own sort of vibe. Very well sequenced for repeated listening. PLUS it's dirt cheap. Less than $23 for FOUR full length CDs. An all around grewat value.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 16, 2009 17:40

LOGIE
Avoid!!!!

Yes, this release does has it's moments, but anything remotely worth listening to on this 4 CD compilation is already included on the far-superior 1985 "Pack Up The Plantation" live album; i.e. the likes of The Waiting, Breakdown, Refugee, Insider, Southern Accents etc.

The sad fact of the matter however, is that he just can't cut it as a live act, and since his partnership with Jeff Lynne at the end of the eighties, Petty's material has become somewhat over-reliant upon crisp, vibrant, studio production; all of which would explain a glaring absence of this more recent material, replaced instead, by the odd, cringeworthy, accoustic sing-along.

In my wildest dreams, I cannot imagine anyone wanting to listen to so many inferior, unauthentic, cumbersome blues standards; nor can I visualise someone at home tapping their feet along to the theme of Goldfinger.

Worse still are the seemingly endless number of songs which Petty chooses to stop halfway through, in order to introduce long spells of tedious-beyond-words audience participation, serving only to turn a hitherto half-decent, three-minute rocker into an eight-minute dirge.

Seriously.
Dead wrong. Have'nt picked this up yet. But as far as Petty not being a good live act in recent years. I saw him last year and put on a great show. Listen to any boots from rfecent shows. Watch the Super Bowl performance from a couple years ago. Him and his band still rock hard.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: December 16, 2009 17:44

I paid $18 for the 4 CD version from Amazon.

I could not fine a setlist for the Bestbuy $100 version. I know the 4 CD set is not as complete..oh well.

The sound is awsome.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: December 16, 2009 18:47

I'm selling this bootleg for € 10.oo plus postage, if interested please send me an e-mail.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: December 16, 2009 18:53

Rank Stranger

I'm selling this bootleg for € 10.oo plus postage, if interested please send me an e-mail.
Wrong place to post that. Plus,you should offer it for free instead trying to sell stuff on here. Not that hard to find Petty bootlegs anyway.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: December 16, 2009 20:06

LOGIE
Avoid!!!!

Seriously.

i can not comment on the live set since i don''t own but what are you talking about? tom petty is a great live act and he only has 3 albums produced by jeff lynn in a 20 year span. most petty fans know the last dj was meant to be taken in as a whole so the fact a few songs are on this live album is a surprise. they only did 1 tour with songs from highway companion to choose from and they picked 1 tune. the regular edition appears to have 8 tunes from albums from 1990-2006 and a lot of covers recorded during that time period

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: December 17, 2009 13:21

Yes, I know Tom Petty CAN be a great live act having seen him myself supporting Dylan back in 1987 and again five years later, when he was touring the UK with Into The Great Wide Open. Pack Up The Plantation is also a fairly decent live album, as I noted earlier.

It's why I own most of Petty's albums and the reason I shelled out the readies for this 4CD Box Set.

I am fully aware too, that he has recorded only 3 albums with Jeff Lynne; my point being that the effect of recording with the former ELO frontman was for Petty to continue with a much cleaner, crisper sound than that which preceded Full Moon Fever.

But having played the album over and over, I stand fully by everything I've said about it being a dull, monotonous, pointless trawl of self-indulgent drivel, the likes of which only only hardcore Petty fanatics could possibly get into; those with the mentality with which to derive some kind of enetertainment value from his mind-numbing mid-song monologues.

Bereft of studio polish, the Heartbreakers can hardly muster the collective musicianship of a teenage garage band, with very little to lift the spirits beyond what is largely a tiresome drudge. In fact, any decent musicianship is limited to completely ridiculous over-the-top piano solos and cringeworthy James Bond theme tunes.

Many have described Petty as a could-have-been; a nearly man who needed to get out more, instead of bunkering up within the confines of his own fan-friendly states for year after year.

This album is all the evidence they need with which to support that assertion.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: December 17, 2009 15:16

I bought the Deluxe set, great!! worth having if you like this man

Date: December 17, 2009 19:19

LOGIE
Yes, I know Tom Petty CAN be a great live act having seen him myself supporting Dylan back in 1987 and again five years later, when he was touring the UK with Into The Great Wide Open. Pack Up The Plantation is also a fairly decent live album, as I noted earlier.

It's why I own most of Petty's albums and the reason I shelled out the readies for this 4CD Box Set.

I am fully aware too, that he has recorded only 3 albums with Jeff Lynne; my point being that the effect of recording with the former ELO frontman was for Petty to continue with a much cleaner, crisper sound than that which preceded Full Moon Fever.

But having played the album over and over, I stand fully by everything I've said about it being a dull, monotonous, pointless trawl of self-indulgent drivel, the likes of which only only hardcore Petty fanatics could possibly get into; those with the mentality with which to derive some kind of enetertainment value from his mind-numbing mid-song monologues.

Bereft of studio polish, the Heartbreakers can hardly muster the collective musicianship of a teenage garage band, with very little to lift the spirits beyond what is largely a tiresome drudge. In fact, any decent musicianship is limited to completely ridiculous over-the-top piano solos and cringeworthy James Bond theme tunes.

Many have described Petty as a could-have-been; a nearly man who needed to get out more, instead of bunkering up within the confines of his own fan-friendly states for year after year.

This album is all the evidence they need with which to support that assertion.

i still don't hear much of jeff lynn on the albums he didn't produce. echo is a pretty raw sounding album, maybe the most underproduced studio album he has

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1560
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home