Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Harp on Love is strong/Best musicvideo also
Posted by: joel ()
Date: December 11, 2009 21:43

Was wondering about the Love is strong.
What key is it? G harp ?
My harp do not have that nice sound that Mick has..... (i have (Marine Band)
Also isnt it one of the best musicvideos that Stones have done?

Re: Harp on Love is strong/Best musicvideo also
Posted by: wetland10 ()
Date: December 12, 2009 08:39

I believe the song is in the key of A, so typically that would mean a D harmonica if you are playing blues. I think he is playing this in second position.

As far as harmonica tone, less has to do with the type and more has to do with the player and their technique. Most of the blues greats used a Marine Band. I tend to lean toward Suzuki Harpmasters though.

Wayne

Posted by: Fan Since 1964 ()
Date: December 12, 2009 09:23

The sound of the harp was fabricated when Mick played it into a special harp mic.
Don't know the manufacturer but that's also a fact that he sang into the same mic.
That's what's makes the great sound.

I guess he told that in an interview sometime!

The video is awesome!

Been Stoned since 1964 and still am!

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: December 12, 2009 12:43

The harp mic that he used was probably something like a Shure 'Green bullet' mic. These are radio mics that date back to the late '40's and give that really raspy beefy sound. Pretty much any blues harpist worth a damn would use one of these.

And they would also most likely play through a low wattage amp such as a 15w Fender Champ.

Posted by: wetland10 ()
Date: December 12, 2009 15:10

Roll73
The harp mic that he used was probably something like a Shure 'Green bullet' mic. These are radio mics that date back to the late '40's and give that really raspy beefy sound. Pretty much any blues harpist worth a damn would use one of these.

And they would also most likely play through a low wattage amp such as a 15w Fender Champ.

Yes and no. I've been a harp player for almost 15 years, theories vary quite dramatically. He definitely sang through a lo-fi mic (like a bullet) that does not have the wide range needed for good vocals. The result, partly, is what you hear. Other parts are that he most likely (but not necessarily) sang through a small tube amp like the CHamp which is 5 watts. Other studio production tricks were most likely used on this track tough as well.

Wayne

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-12 15:10 by wetland10.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 12, 2009 16:52

Mick said he sang through the Bullet. That goes to the board, which has an output to a Fender Champ. So both signals are recorded. However, he did not say he sang the entire song through a Bullet nor did he say he used any other kind of mic.

The song is in A.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2157
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home