Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Winos & cables
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 22, 2006 18:30

watching the Winos at the Hollywood Palladium last week i wondered yet again at the fact that
they're using guitar cables. is that something that's been mentioned in articles/interviews?
or maybe a known idiosyncrasy of Waddy's that Keith went along with for the Talk Is Cheap tour?
(i didn't doublecheck all my Winos footage, but from what i did doublecheck,
it looks like by the Main Offender tour Keith had gone "cableless" but Waddy hadn't.)
just curious; thanks for any insights; and have some of these sunflower seeds. :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-23 18:14 by with sssoul.

Re: Winos & cables
Posted by: JustinCaseBandDK ()
Date: December 22, 2006 20:07

and I noticed that the cable is RED! and btw it´s called wireless,not "cableless" ;-)

But who is Keef´s guitar tech up to about 1988?

Big T

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: December 22, 2006 20:13

JustinCaseBandDK Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> and I noticed that the cable is RED! and btw it´s
> called wireless,not "cableless" ;-)
>
> But who is Keef´s guitar tech up to about 1988?

How abpout "clueless" ? Just kidding....smiling smiley

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: December 22, 2006 21:13

A red wireless cable? oO

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: December 22, 2006 21:26

How about soullesscablelessnesswirenessless?

Date: December 22, 2006 21:39

yes, it is indeed red. but why is it there at all? Keith went cordless [how's that for a compromise? :E ] in 1978,
so it's an interesting regression and i wonder what the reason for it was.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-22 22:46 by with sssoul.

Date: December 22, 2006 21:49

Waddy may not believe in wireless gadgets - but Keith, he's used to it for many years. I have no clue why he would want a cable.

hmm - wait, maybe the filmcrew requested that, so it doesn't interfere with their equipment.

Date: December 22, 2006 22:41

hm - but in 81 TV crews didn't have a problem with it, so why would they in 88?
interesting theory, though, open-g! have some sunflower seeds.

ps: i do think it might be an idiosyncracy of Waddy's to use a good old-fashioned cable -
so would it make it easier in some techno-audio way for them both to use them?
the Talk Is Cheap tour was pretty short, so if there were complications with one guitar on a cable
and the other off, maybe it wasn't worth horsing around with overcoming them?
that's sheerest speculation, of course - have some more sunflower seeds.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-07 12:39 by with sssoul.

Date: December 22, 2006 23:36

Well, you don't have any problems with cables, except you're not free to move and might get tangled up - but thats all easy to handle.

Wireless systems in the '80s weren't that good.
they liked to interfere with bad shielded car sparkpluggs for instance, or hobby transmitters, pirate radios and what have you.
Spinal Tab comes to mind - hehe.
Filmcrews by the time of '88 probably started useing wireless gear also, but in '81 they weren't.
I have an old Beyer guitar transmitter from '86 I guess. never used it on stage 'cause it's awful. I only tried it in our rehearsal room and so many things can go wrong with it - I never trusted it on stage.
Most of these technical problems were solved in the '90s and technologie leapt forward.
Today you can probably use the cheapest stuff without any flaws to worrie about.
but in the ole days...

Date: December 23, 2006 00:09

yeah, i witnessed some pretty dire onstage instability in cordless gear around 1979/80,
so i can certainly relate to someone being skittish about it. but still find it curious
that Keith reverted to a cable, since he'd been cordless for so long by then and probably wasn't limited to the cheaper brands.
i'll check out some of the audience-shot footage from the Talk Is Cheap tour to see if he's got a cable
even when the official camerapeople aren't around. thanks open-g! and i've made some cookies if you're tired of the sunflower seeds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-07 12:40 by with sssoul.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: December 23, 2006 11:12

As a slight aside,breifly during the Glasgow gig this year (on SMU if memory serves) Keith had to be cabled up whilst on the mini-stage.

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Date: December 23, 2006 15:52

>>...and i've made some cookies if you're tired of the sunflower seeds.<<

mmh, nice. you only make 'em - munch - 'round christmas season? munch, munch. very tasty, thank you.

Date: December 23, 2006 15:56

i made these to round off hannukah, actually - glad they groove you :E

Posted by: normanplace ()
Date: December 23, 2006 17:19

i'll have to double check but i recently downloaded and watched the winos boston '93 concert dvd and i think KR is wireless and Waddy and bass player are wired. Maybe had to due with Keith needing to work the stage more and swap out guitars for every song. Waddy stuck to a les paul standard for most of the show.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 23, 2006 17:53

I hadn't realized keith went wireless in '78. That might be why there's so much hum in his sound, apart from that produced by the pedals. In '81, the hum is appalling. Did ron also go wireless?

Date: December 23, 2006 18:12

>> i'll have to double check but i recently downloaded and watched the winos boston '93 concert dvd
and i think KR is wireless and Waddy [is] wired. <<

yeah, that's what i attempted to say in my first post. (i think the bassplayer at Boston 93 was cordless, though.)
my question isn't so much why Keith (or anyone else) is cordless in 93 - that seems normal to me.
what's weird is that they've got cables in 88, and that Waddy persists in that in 93.

>> Did Ron also go wireless? <<

you mean in 78? i'm not sure, but i would imagine so, at least for the stadium shows.
by 81 i'm sure they all had - well, all the Stones that ever moved on stage, anyway. :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-12-23 18:16 by with sssoul.

Date: December 23, 2006 18:33

okay, let me amend that: yeah Ronnie was off the leash in 78; and i do have one shot of Keith with a cable
(see the Lynn Goldsmith shot where he's got the Strat, below) amid a bunch of him clearly cordless.
there are also some shots (not posted here) where it's hard to be sure whether Keith's wireless or not,
but until further notice i reckon the cable was an exception in 78.

- 1978, by Jim Crowley

- both 1978, both by Lynn Goldsmith

- both Oakland, july 26th 1978, both by Greg Myhra

- Oakland, july 26th 1978, by Baron Wolman

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-07 12:48 by with sssoul.

Date: December 23, 2006 19:10

i just checked the Winos' 1988 Atlanta and Oakland shows - it's audience-shot footage,
and they've got cables at those too. so now i guess i have to decide whether i think it's likely
that there were film crews at all the Winos gigs in 88 asking them not to use wireless gear ...
what do you think, open-g honey? [passing the cookies]
i mean: i do appreciate your insight into the technology not being advanced enough at the time
for wireless guitars and tv equipment to cooperate - but i still wonder if that was the Winos' main reason for using cables.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-07 12:42 by with sssoul.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: December 23, 2006 20:46

in most of those shots above, he is indeed wireless--I hadn't noticed before. The short cable is plugged into a transmitter that's probably on his belt, or on his back (was it international news when bush appeared to be "wearing a wire" during one of the presidential debates in 2004? so someone could coach his answers...). The technology was new, which is why he sounds as if he's plugged into a jet engine when you hear his guitar isolated.

Date: December 23, 2006 22:07

>> in most of those shots above, he is indeed wireless <<

yeah i know, cc - that's why i posted them.
(sorry if it sounded like i wasn't sure! i've edited the post now so i hope it's clearer what i'm trying to say)
and don't worry, it wasn't the first thing i noticed either, the first 700 or so times i looked at them. :E
they seem to like their transmitters on their guitar straps, not their belts -
Ronnie's is easy to see in that Goldsmith shot, and Keith's (less easily) in the Wolman shot.

i just watched the Fort Worth footage and they're wireless there too, so it wasn't just for the stadium shows.
have some of these cookies.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-07 12:50 by with sssoul.

Posted by: yeager ()
Date: December 23, 2006 22:29

w o n d e r f u l l c o o k i e s ! :-)

holy smoke I saw

through it appears a thought:

maybe the reason for using a cable is :

drum drum drum tsch!

to put themselves together - you know disciplin and all that ...

Greetings to the cookies, too

would ya' like another cup of tea?

"when I travel coast to coast
you' re the hook I miss the most
feel on, baby"

Date: December 24, 2006 02:23

with sssoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i just checked the Winos' 1988 Atlanta and Oakland
> shows - it's audience-shot footage,
> and they've got cables at those too. so now i
> guess i have to decide whether i think it's
> likely
> that there were film crews at all the Winos gigs
> in 88 asking them not to use wireless gear ...
> what do you think, Open-G honey?
> i mean: i do appreciate your insight into the
> technology not being advanced enough at the time
> for wireless guitars and tv equipment to cooperate
> - but i still wonder if that was the Winos' main
> reason for using cables.

Well, I guess it's a bit more of a problem than just a film crew that would wish
to stop one useing wireless transmitters.
It's very technical, but to give you an idea of what the techies talk, here's a quote from a forum:

I encourage everyone that has to deal with multiple RF systems in a touring situation to buy a small (preferably Canadian) RF scanner and actually -listen- to what is going on in your frequency bands as soon as you get off the bus or arrive at the venue..
You'd be surprised at all the crap stepping on your 'this is me for the day' frequencies.
It's time consuming but I set it to scan between 518>553HZ (Senn. ew300IEM) and note what is stepping on me at intervals throughout the day.
I'll listen to it @ catering, taking a dump, sitting on the bus,going back to catering (I love food) and (time providing)... 1/2 hour before downbeat..
Don't fool yourself into thinking that what you scan on the packs @ 10AM will be clean @ 9PM, listen, scan, listen, scan...
Obviously, all the large city's have the most gack on what little we are left with but it really surprised me what was on the bands in the smaller city's. Muzak, inter-office calls, taxis,those cheap o 2 way radios, more taxis... .
I've gleaned a small database of 'useable' bands around the U.S. that I've found "clean" and the frequencies that I've got from some of the TV and varsity venue guys..
<<

from [srforums.prosoundweb.com]

...and they are talking about todays problems.
It's a microcosmos we're usualy not aware of.

Date: December 24, 2006 02:56

fascinating - thanks open-g!
and people wonder how it could happen that Mick heard Satisfaction on his earphone monitor
while Keith was tearing into It's Only Rock & Roll ... :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-07 12:44 by with sssoul.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1767
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home