Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Let's Spend The Night Together Movie
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 10, 2009 06:05

I just saw YCAGWYW and, what, She's So Cold on VH1 classics or whatever and I was stunned - STUNNED! - at how bad they are in that movie! The first minute or so of YCAGWYW is obviously mimed because, gee, while Keith is playing his guitar and posing with both hands in the air - the notes change...

My wife turned it off. She couldn't take it. I didn't object.

Did Mick really think they were that good to release in a movie like that? I know the answer is yes but damn, he must have been smoking some good dope.

Re: Let's Spend The Night Together Movie
Posted by: stevecardi ()
Date: December 10, 2009 06:21

This movie is an abomination. This was my introduction to the 1981 tour, and as such, it initially ruined for me what I now believe to be an energetic and very unique tour. The overdubs and editing of the music (and poor direction on the part of Hal Asbury) is a disgrace. When I got the complete and uneditied recording of the Tempe show, I was blown away by how much better the performance was. The versions of "Neighbors" and "Beast of Burden" from this show are my favorite live takes of these songs.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: December 10, 2009 08:18

How many shows were filmed for PPV? Would make an awesome DVD set.

Posted by: Child Of Clay ()
Date: December 10, 2009 08:26

it's arguably the worst concert movie ever, but within the reels of film shot for this piece of crap there must lie a great unedited tour documentary. A choice, uninterrupted concert on one DVD, another for highlights from other shows and one for backstage & misc. stuff.

Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: December 10, 2009 09:25

If there was one thing about this movie I could change, is to fix the frames per second. The tone/pitch of the film suggests a PAL (50 fps) print, whereas NTSC uses 60 fps for all TV broadcasts. I represent the latter.

~Ben

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: December 10, 2009 10:06

And KRs guitar is almost audible

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 10, 2009 10:23

skipstone
The first minute or so of YCAGWYW is obviously mimed because, gee, while Keith is playing his guitar and posing with both hands in the air - the notes change...

That's the virtue of open G -hit a chord, raise your hand and let it ring. Keith basically doesn't do anything else these days.

Just to note: the movie does NOT feature any overdubs. It's edited down and sped up to fit in 90 minutes, but there's no overdubs.

Mathijs

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: December 10, 2009 15:51

it's just that the fact that it's out of synch and edited that makes some of it look overdubbed

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: December 10, 2009 15:57

Mathijs
Just to note: the movie does NOT feature any overdubs. It's edited down and sped up to fit in 90 minutes, but there's no overdubs.

In some cases I would have prefered decent overdubs instead horrible edits ( Brown Sugar,for example ).

Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: December 10, 2009 16:29

well if anyone already havent said this:
the reason for the "miming" is because sometimes footage from other concerts are coming into the movie,, from three different ones,, you also notice in the begining(U.M.T) that charlie doesn't hit the cymbal, but at the sound he does, thats because that little part is taken from another concert, I have noticed that too..

and otherwise, i realy love stones around 81-82. They were absolutly at their best! full tempo through the whole concert,, its so amazing

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: December 10, 2009 16:57

Watched some of it last night until my wife asked me, don't you have this on dvd or something". when you watch it for the 50th time you look at different things, at least I do. It is interesting to see how Keith is submerged into his playing and almost in a trance. Woody is also focused on the sound and not clowning at all. The interaction between the boys is fantastic. Boy howdy are the songs played fast. First concert for me and still remember it.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: December 10, 2009 18:48

I've always loved this film. The Arizona stadium footage is fantastic, with the saguaru cactus in the background and the folks up on the hill watching, and the glowing red sunset colors... Yes, there are edits, and for us they are annoying, but I still love the film and enjoy the snapshot of the era.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: December 10, 2009 19:11

That was their last bgreat moment. After that, all seems to me show business, pure show busissnes. IMHO

Date: December 10, 2009 20:15

The miming to YCAGWYW is just as bad as the miming to Ruby Tuesday in the iMax film!

Also I noticed no solo in Tumbling Dice. It sounds like they edited it out and even shorted it regardless.

She's So Cold is still the absolute worst of any song of the Stones on film - yet brilliantly bad. That's the true joy of the movie - how bad they are. It's brilliant.

But it's really bad. I do recall thinking, at the time when I was young, that it was fantastic. The opening is good. Not all of it is bad but a lot of it is. Mick and his wincing about - he was at the top of his game in terms of posing and prancing about - it really detracts from his singing. One big grunt of a concert.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: December 10, 2009 21:14

Best concert movie ever.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Date: December 10, 2009 21:17

Is this opposite day? Must be.

Posted by: perosand ()
Date: December 10, 2009 21:24

Under my thumb and waiting on a friend is great!

Perry

Date: December 10, 2009 21:42

If I recall correctly, the only song from the tour (in general) that didn't make the movie was Let It Bleed, right?

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: December 10, 2009 22:23

You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: December 10, 2009 22:26

I actually prefer Black Limo on LSTNT over Hampton

Posted by: Pelle ()
Date: December 10, 2009 22:46

why does everyone complains about She's So cold? I love it on the movie!! so full tempo, and it really rocks the shit out of the studio song

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: December 10, 2009 22:47

I wish they would have done some improvising of some songs as the tour gets rolling. It does appear they rush through the songs.

Date: December 10, 2009 23:06

skipstone
If I recall correctly, the only song from the tour (in general) that didn't make the movie was Let It Bleed, right?

"Well we all need someone we can lean on..". I'm pretty sure Jag's plays guitar on this number.

The uptempo She's So Cold is great. Pity it's in dispersed with Jags backstage.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: December 11, 2009 00:06

Child Of Clay
it's arguably the worst concert movie ever, but within the reels of film shot for this piece of crap there must lie a great unedited tour documentary. A choice, uninterrupted concert on one DVD, another for highlights from other shows and one for backstage & misc. stuff.

Oh honey, try & watch "Born to Boogie".

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 11, 2009 00:08

I also enjoy this movie very much, and yes it would be a great idea to release a 2dvd set with bonus and backstage footage, but this is the stones and it wont happen

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: December 11, 2009 00:24

my favourite stones film ever!!!

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: December 11, 2009 00:29

IT's awful and wonderful at the same time. Some versions here are just rockin': She's So Cold, Keith's rip-roaring Little T&A and some are lame: Tumbling Dice, YCAGWYW.

There's a ton of good guitar interplay going on between K and R, especially on numbers like 'Beast of Burden'. Sometimes I cannot tell who is playing what, which was the intention (man who doesn't miss that?).

it's no classic, but it's fun. I have it saved on my dvr in High definition/widescreen from when it was aired on cable back in May. Why on earth we don't have a proper dvd release I have no clue.

Date: December 11, 2009 00:33

The marginal cost of putting together a boxset of the 81 shows surely wouldn't be very high. If they're going to have LSTNT on shelves, why not add a bit of value to it?

Date: December 11, 2009 00:35

Maybe skipstone would prefer to listen to the boss instead!

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: December 11, 2009 00:49

thumbs up.....the last good tour with the last great Stones lp (Tattoo You)

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1878
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home