Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

? About 1969 boots
Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: December 9, 2009 05:34

Having just loaded the 3 boots I have from this tour to my Zune Player (Live'r, Detroit and Baltimore) I wondered about the term Soundboard that is given to these. They certainly don't sound like what we expect from current soundboards but then again this was 1969...........But are these really soundboard and are they the best out there for this tour? Feel free to add or discuss any info you may have on these boots and this tour. Hopefully it can bring back some good memories for some.....
Let me also add that I put several boots like Argentina 98 (love She's a Rainbow live there) and Atlantic City 89...great to hear these again!!!!

Re: ? About 1969 boots
Posted by: Tate ()
Date: December 9, 2009 05:59

I can't really listen to those old '69 boots because of the poor quality. I love the Leeds/ Marquee '71 shows, as the sound is crisp and the performances were unique (especially the version of Satisfaction, which I love), and of course there are some great sounding well-circulated gigs from '72, especially w/ the unreleased live album masters. For '69/'70, I just listen to Ya Ya's. Now that the extended version is out, it does the trick for me.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: December 9, 2009 06:08

Live'r, Detroit & Baltimore are only AUDIENCE recordings...
There are some songs from each show which can be found from a soundboard recording.

From Oakland there's a Bill Graham soundboard source (different rec. to Live'r) which sounds a bit different...but it's definately no YaYa's !
Detroit (from memory) there's 3 songs...again from a rough soundboard...no YaYa's...just a slightly better recording than the usual aud. recording which is commonly available.
Love In Vain from Baltimore is what you hear on YaYa's and can be heard on the CD Shot of Salvation in perfect soundboard quality.

note: boston (both shows) were also recorded on the soundboard, as was Baltimore (you'd think), Altamont and perhaps some of the earlier shows (Oakland) by the Stones.

Posted by: tumblingdice ()
Date: December 9, 2009 06:21

Thanks for the info. That reminds me, I used to have a boot of Altamont but haven't come across it when loading my boots to the Zune...perhaps it's lost or mislabled? I sure loved hearing that first playing of Brown Sugar!!

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: December 9, 2009 06:24

Tate
I can't really listen to those old '69 boots because of the poor quality. I love the Leeds/ Marquee '71 shows, as the sound is crisp and the performances were unique (especially the version of Satisfaction, which I love), and of course there are some great sounding well-circulated gigs from '72, especially w/ the unreleased live album masters. For '69/'70, I just listen to Ya Ya's. Now that the extended version is out, it does the trick for me.
there are a few 1969 audience recordings recorded on the west coast that are not that bad but i agree most are hard to listen to

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: December 9, 2009 09:56

Eleanor Rigby
note: boston (both shows) were also recorded on the soundboard, as was Baltimore (you'd think), Altamont and perhaps some of the earlier shows (Oakland) by the Stones.

I don't think that any of the West Coast shows was recorded professionally. This is the reason why Decca got upset when the LIVE'R THAN YOU'LL EVER BE bootleg came out.

Personally I do think that the San Diegoe recording was not bad and gave an impression of how the Stones sounded live in concert. I appreciate GYYO very much but then the Oakland and San Diego recordings have a special 'live' feeling and were not 'doctored' afterwards. I get more of an impression of having been there (actually, I wasn't, of course).

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: December 9, 2009 10:05

the only hint that the Stones recorded some of the earlier shows are the spoken words of Jagger in the Gimme Shelter movie..."we'd like to see how you look...ahh we couldn't see you.."
comes from Oakland...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2004
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home