Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Listening to the Stones on Vinyl LPs
Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: December 9, 2009 04:09

Does anyone still listen to their old Rolling Stones albums on a turntable at 33 RPM?

My first Stones album was Out of Our Heads (a close up of the Stones on the album cover) which cost $2.99 MONO and $3.99 for STEREO (reprocessed from Mono). The last Stones album I purchased was Goats Head Soup, also on vinyl.

I long ago converted to digital and Ipods, and unfortunately tossed out my LP collection in the 1980s. Do people still play the old albums on Vinyl? There is a recent article in the NY Times saying LPs are now making a comeback, even at Best Buy.

Is that really true?

[www.nytimes.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-09 04:22 by mitchflorida.

Re: Listening to the Stones on Vinyl LPs
Posted by: winter ()
Date: December 9, 2009 04:47

yup, vinyl is back; well, as much as any hard copy media is nowadays. In Washington DC, my local record store now gets 70+% of his business from vinyl, he's slowly phasing out cds and they even sell turntables. pretty wierd.

i carted my 2 crates of albums around for 20 years, only briefly living w/ roommates who had a turntable to hear them on over the years. then my folks gave their old one to me 2 summers ago and voila! fun and worth the wait. now i go get cheap used lps and play my old collection (most stones thru DW) too. haven't bought a new cd for over a year, and probably won't until the Exile re-release.

i haven't done a comparison between the 5 RS 2002 SACDs I got and the original records, but i'm sure others on the forum with good equipment/ears have. the tactile experience of putting the record needle on, checking out the cover, just hearing a side at a time, de-seeding on the gatefold, etc is just as engaging as it was then (at least, with a good record, it is).

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: December 9, 2009 05:12

All of the Stones albums before Aftermath were recorded in mono, and changed to stereo by separating the bass and treble to left and righ, and sounded crappy. Best to just listen to them in the original MONO.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: December 9, 2009 09:33

I was playing Vinyl last night....45s ! :

Ray Charles -What'd I Say ep original 1961
Stones - Little Red Rooster 1964 original
Stones- GLIYWI EP 1965
Pretenders - Message of Love 1981
and the LP BB King Live at Cook County Jail (1971)

It's the only reason I haven't upgraded to a Linn LP12 - They only play at 33 1/3 rpm I believe.

sc uk

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: December 9, 2009 09:37

I've got a ton of Stones on vinyl , play it all the time .

Best Buy and other outlets are selling new vinyl releases .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1351
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home