Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: The greatest riff - The Stones on 10th place
Posted by: T&A ()
Date: November 30, 2009 22:26

bach was never the same after his bass player quit...

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: November 30, 2009 23:20

bach wasn't too bad in skid row but his solo career sucked.what band did this mozart guy play in?

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: November 30, 2009 23:31

johnny be good 12 places behind muse??? haha, there are alot of silly lists, but this one beats everything! ;-)

***** i'm a cold italian pizza *****

Posted by: aralla ()
Date: November 30, 2009 23:37

1. The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Voodoo Child (Slight Return) - POWERFULL! A TOP FIVE
2. Guns N’ Roses - Sweet Child O' Mine - A VERY GOOD ONE BUT I PREFER "PARADISE CITY"
3. Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love - A CLASSIC! TOP FIVE
4. Deep Purple - Smoke On The Water - A CLASSIC! TOP FIVE... BUT JUST LISTEN TO "MACHINE HEAD", SPACE TRUCKIN' COME ON!
5. Derek and the Dominos – Layla - A BEAUTIFUL SONG, IMHO NOT EXACTLY A RIFF!
6. AC/DC - Back In Black - UMM,EVERY GOOD ACDC SONG HAS A GOOD RIFF, I CAN'T PICK ONE SO EASILY. THIS IS THE MORE FAMOUSE.
7. Metallica - Enter Sandman - GOOD SONG, OUT OF MY RANKING
8. The Beatles - Day Tripper - DEFINITIVELY, IT'S NOT A RIFF! THE CHEAP TRICK VERSION COULD BE
9. Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit - GOOD ONE, BUT NOT A TOP 25
10. The Rolling Stones - (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - THE FIRST ONE, NO DOUBT!
11. Black Sabbath – Paranoid - A CLASSIC! TOP FIVE
12. Muse - Plug In Baby - WHAT ? NEVER LISTEN TO IT IN MY HOLE LIFE, SORRY !
13.Eddie Van Halen - Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love - SAME AS AC/DC, I CAN'T PICK ONE, I ALWAYS LOVED "DANCE THE NIGHT AWAY"
14. The Kinks - You Really Got Me - A CLASSIC! TOP TEN
15. The White Stripes - Seven Nation Army - I HAVE NO IDEA BUT I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S A TOP 25, NOT IN MY RANKING !
16. AC/DC - Highway to Hell - READ NUMBER 6, WHAT ABOUT "HIGH VOLTAGE" OR "DIRTY DEEDS..."?
17. Led Zeppelin – Heartbreaker - A TOP TEN
18. Black Sabbath - Iron Man - A TOP TEN BECAUSE ITS SPECIAL TEMPO BUT EVERY BS GOOD SONG HAS A GOOD RIFF
19. Led Zeppelin - Black Dog - AND "ROCK&ROLL" AND "INMIGRANT SONG" AND "WHAT IS AND WHAT YOU... "?
20. Michael Jackson - Beat It - A VERY GOOD RIFF FOR A POP SONG, UMM, A TOP FORTY
21. The Beatles – Paperback Writer - NOT SO PRESENT TO ME NOW
22. Jimi Hendrix – Purple Haze - A VERY GOOD RIFF, A TOP FORTY
23. AC/DC – Whole Lotta Rosie - AND WHAT ABOUT "IT'S A LONG WAY..." AND "YOU SHOCK ME..."
24. Chuck Berry – Johnny B Goode - CHUCK WROTE A LOT OF SIMILAR RIFFS, THIS IS THE MORE FAMOUS, NOT THE BEST
25. Metallica – Sad But True - EXCELLENT, A TOP FORTY

HERE MY BEST OF THE REST

The Rolling Stones - "19th Nervous Breakdown" "The Last Time" "Gimme Shelter" "Brown Sugar" "Jumpin Jack Flash" "Child of the Moon" & a hundred more !!!
Lynyrd Skynyrd - "Sweet Home Alabama"
Pink Floyd - "Sorrow" "Run Like Hell" "The Nile Song"
Thin Lizzy - "Bad Reputation" "Emerald" "Cold Sweat"
Aerosmith - "Toys in the Attic" "Mama Kin" "Draw the Line"
The Who - "I Can't Explain" "Subtitute" "The Seeker" "Baba O'Riley" & more !
Faces - "Stay With Me"
Humble Pie - "30 Days in the Hole" "Stone Cold Fever"
Queen - "Hammer to Fall" "Fat Bottom Girls" "We Will Rock you"
Kiss - "Cold Gin" "I Stole Your Love" "Lick it Up"
Whitesnake - "Love Ain't no Stranger"
Joan Jet - "I Love Rock 'n' Roll"
Toto - "Hold the Line"
Def Leppard - "Rock the Ages" "Pure Some Sugar on Me"
Quiet Riot - "Bang Your Head"
& more & more & more

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 30, 2009 23:39

No CCR?

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 30, 2009 23:40

Butt Rock is clearly over-represented in this list. Smoke on the Water?

Please...

Date: November 30, 2009 23:42

Can't Hardly Wait - The Replacements

Fortunate Son - CCR

To name just two that are better than almost everything on this list.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 30, 2009 23:42

Satisfaction, You really Got Me, and Smoke on the Water would be my 3 choices....

Posted by: aralla ()
Date: December 1, 2009 00:09

That's unbelievable... we forgot Jethro Tull "Aqualung" "Locomotive Breath"
John Cougar Mellencamp "Hurt so Good" etc.

Can't be serious make a top 25 or a top 100, there's a lot of music all around !

Posted by: ome peet ()
Date: December 5, 2009 12:54

what about the new classics. This is a band from my home town. This song is all over the local radiostations. In my humble opinion a great catchy riff!

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: December 5, 2009 15:35

A bit pedantic I know but Jackson's Beat It should at least be part attributed to Eddie Van Halen.

Joe Bonamassa's 'Dirt In My Pocket' now that's a riff.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: December 5, 2009 16:11

pointless list

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: December 5, 2009 17:47

How is Sweet Child Of Mine a RIFF?

A riff is something more like Jumpin' Jack Flash, Start Me Up, It Won't Take Long etc - various other bands like AC/DC and The Cult, some Zep - a lot of riffs flying around.

But Sweet Child Of Mine is not a riff, it's more of a lead than anything. Not even a lick!

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: December 5, 2009 19:23

ROLLINGSTONE
A bit pedantic I know but Jackson's Beat It should at least be part attributed to Eddie Van Halen.

I dunno I'f I am right about it but I believe that the riff of Beat it was played by Steve Lukather of Toto fame.Eddie played the famous solo

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: December 5, 2009 20:04

mtaylor
What about - Can't You Hear Me Knocking - great opening riff. But, to the big audience it doesn't exists. They only know the popular songs riffs. So what is a 10 ten riff worth, when it doesn't includes the really godd riffs!

... and most radio-sucking mouth-breathers wouldn't know a Grateful Dead classic if it smacked them in the ass. Hence why they're not even on the list. Ditto The Allman Bothers.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: December 6, 2009 02:10

71Tele
Butt Rock is clearly over-represented in this list. Smoke on the Water?

Please...

what the hell are you talking about? you should never be allowed to post again. butt rock? huh? 99% of that list is classic rock artists.

anyways where the crap is "cat scratch fever"?

Date: December 6, 2009 02:24

<< what the hell are you talking about? you should never be allowed to post again >>

I should not be allowed to post again on a Stones board because I don't think much of the quality of Deep Purple?

To clarify: "Butt Rock" is a semi-facetious genre name for lowbrow party rock: Ted Nugent, Head East, Deep Purple et al. Doesn't mean one can't enjoy it.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: December 6, 2009 02:26

stones_serb
ROLLINGSTONE

I dunno I'f I am right about it but I believe that the riff of Beat it was played by Steve Lukather of Toto fame.Eddie played the famous solo

You are indeed right.

Date: December 6, 2009 04:42

71Tele
<< what the hell are you talking about? you should never be allowed to post again >>

I should not be allowed to post again on a Stones board because I don't think much of the quality of Deep Purple?

To clarify: "Butt Rock" is a semi-facetious genre name for lowbrow party rock: Ted Nugent, Head East, Deep Purple et al. Doesn't mean one can't enjoy it.

sorry. when someone says "butt rock" it normally refers to bands like poison and bon jovi from the 80's. since when was deep purple butt rock? "child in time" is one badass 10 minute tune

Date: December 6, 2009 05:10

<< sorry. when someone says "butt rock" it normally refers to bands like poison and bon jovi from the 80's. since when was deep purple butt rock? "child in time" is one badass 10 minute tune >>

It seems I get in trouble here only when discussing artists other than the Stones. No point having it out about the merits of Guns N Roses or Deep Purple.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: December 6, 2009 05:43

then how come they dont call jimi hendrix the riff master?

Date: December 6, 2009 05:57

melillo
then how come they dont call jimi hendrix the riff master?

because tony iommi and eddie van halen are the riff masters

Date: December 6, 2009 06:07

71Tele
<< sorry. when someone says "butt rock" it normally refers to bands like poison and bon jovi from the 80's. since when was deep purple butt rock? "child in time" is one badass 10 minute tune >>

It seems I get in trouble here only when discussing artists other than the Stones. No point having it out about the merits of Guns N Roses or Deep Purple.

i don't think you know more than 2 deep purple songs or else you wouldn't call them low brow party rock. i'd say the stones are more low brow party rock than deep purple. it seems the stones main goal for the last 45+ years is to get a party going. don't think DP's 10+ minute jams and organ solo's are the type of things that get parties going. you saying ted nugent and deep purple play the same style of music is like me saying george michael and metallica play the same style of music. and btw i like some of george michaels tunes

Date: December 6, 2009 06:16

<< i don't think you know more than 2 deep purple songs or else you wouldn't call them low brow party rock. i'd say the stones are more low brow party rock than deep purple. it seems the stones main goal for the last 45+ years is to get a party going. don't think DP's 10+ minute jams and organ solo's are the type of things that get parties going. you saying ted nugent and deep purple play the same style of music is like me saying george michael and metallica play the same style of music. and btw i like some of george michaels tunes >>

OK, I disagree - I would rather endure root canal without anesthesia than be subjected to a 10-minute jam by Deep Purple - but point taken...As I indicated, I do not feel that Deep Purple is worth arguing about. If you enjoy them, great!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-06 06:48 by 71Tele.

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: December 10, 2009 02:03

These lists are fun to discuss. But in my own opinion, there is NO 'best' or 'greatest' riff! It's a matter of personal taste. Each riff represent a different era, time, vibe, or feeling.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: December 10, 2009 02:05

studiorambo
I call BullSh!t.

yeah it is.

interesting in that satisfaction came virtually an entire pop generation BEFORE ALL
the others listed...no?

Date: December 10, 2009 02:06

<< These lists are fun to discuss. But in my own opinion, there is NO 'best' or 'greatest' riff! It's a matter of personal taste. Each riff represent a different era, time, vibe, or feeling. >>

The end of the year always brings more of these lists. A thread about the top 10 Stones riffs might be more fun to discuss.

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: December 10, 2009 02:16

71Tele
<< These lists are fun to discuss. But in my own opinion, there is NO 'best' or 'greatest' riff! It's a matter of personal taste. Each riff represent a different era, time, vibe, or feeling. >>

The end of the year always brings more of these lists. A thread about the top 10 Stones riffs might be more fun to discuss.

Hmmm... that could be. Maybe we can see the REAL guitarplayers within the IORR members! ;-)

Posted by: mitchflorida ()
Date: December 10, 2009 03:39

I am sorry, but your picks are incorrect.

These are the right answers.

1Smoke On The WaterDeep Purple
2(I Can't Get No) SatisfactionThe Rolling Stones
3Sunshine of Your LoveCream
4LaylaDerek & The Dominos
5Louie, Louie The Kingsmen
6Iron ManBlack Sabbath
7Johnny B. GoodeChuck Berry
8HeartbreakerLed Zeppelin
9You Really Got MeThe Kinks
10Sweet Child O' MineGuns N' Roses
11Purple HazeJimi Hendrix
12Day TripperThe Beatles
13Walk This WayAerosmith
14In-A-Gadda-Da-VidaIron Butterfly
15Whole Lotta LoveLed Zeppelin
16Sweet Home AlabamaLynyrd Skynyrd
17Voodoo Child (Slight Return)The Jimi Hendrix Experience
18ParanoidBlack Sabbath
19Crazy TrainOzzy Osbourne
20Back in BlackAC/DC
21Foxy LadyJimi Hendrix
22FrankensteinEdgar Winter
23AqualungJethro Tull
24Bad to the BoneGeorge Thorogood
25Brown SugarThe Rolling Stones

Date: December 10, 2009 03:58

Bad To The Bone isn't the 24th best ANYTHING.

Oh, I'm sorry...maybe 24th best Bo Diddley rip-off.

By the way, I find it hilarious that you have a 3rd hand Bo Diddley copied riff at #24 and no Bo Diddley at all in your whole list. The guy practically invented the riff.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1720
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home