Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Billy Preston's departure
Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: November 29, 2009 14:47

whitem8
Yeah, Billy's live in Europe is a stellar live release! Taylor is on fire, and it is full on rock/funk. I met Billy as well at a Beatles conference in Chicago, years ago, before all his legal issues. And he was a funny, cool, and strange cat! We poured into an elevator stoned to the gills and he was there with an "assistant" a west indian looking teenage boy, that seemed to be more than an assistant. Go Billy! And then we chatted a bit, and he signed my copy of Bangladesh album. And he did a Q and A that was very cool. He was really into recounting his memories playing during Let it Be and said the Roof Top gig was a blast.

was your encounter with billy at the fest for beatles fans? i met him there briefly as well, but was disappointed that he didn't play with the house band that night, as he was on dialysis. i did get a signed copy of a cd of beatles cover tunes he was working on.

Posted by: squando ()
Date: November 29, 2009 14:48

Wow didn't know he wrote "You are so beautiful". Great song. Esp Joe's last ditch effort to go for that final note.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 29, 2009 15:47

Yes it was at Beatlefest but quite a while ago! Like I said, before his legal problems with the IRS. It was in the 80's... In Chicago. WIth Joey from Bandfinger as well, I got him to sign The Magic Christian as well...another nice bloke!

Posted by: Loudei ()
Date: November 29, 2009 15:59

Keith was not opposed to funk, or Billy's dancing (or flirting) with Mick on stage... the reason why Billy was shipped out was that his playing was just so awesome and so strong that it affected the Stones sound... Billy Preston should have been a solo artist period... his playing was so unique that it drowned the Stones onstage and in the Studio. Nevertheless before the Some Girls sessions , all supporting cast of musicians were shipped out as well... not only because of the punk thing but for finding a band sound again.

Me two cents

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: November 29, 2009 16:03

-

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-30 10:27 by dcba.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 29, 2009 16:11

Eleanor Rigby
wasn't Preston involved with some under-aged boys late in his life ??

it was well known Billy was gay(he and Mick? guess we'll never know!) AND he did get some jail or probation time later in life for underaged boys. People can do whatever(being gay NOT the underaged thing) but I did get kinda tired of watching Mick and Billy play grabass every show on that tour!

Date: November 29, 2009 16:30

His legal issues were related to 1. Coke addiction and failing a drug test, 2. assaulting a teenage transvestite prostitute, and 3. Tax issues. I have heard rumors of the underage boys but that seems more like gossip based on his gay lifestyle.

Date: November 29, 2009 17:01

You forgot him being convicted of insurance fraud for setting his own house on fire!

Date: November 29, 2009 17:11

YEs, sorry! That is right I did forget that. In fact I think Clapton refers to that in an interview on why he hired him for his touring band, to give him a break, since he quit the drugs and was trying to start over.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 30, 2009 18:49

squando
The Elton thing was definately Colorado during a daytime show in front of about 75 000 people. I'm sure Rockman would have the pics. Elton stayed on for eight songs I think and that pissed Keith off. Elton I'm sure overstayed his welcome but Keith seems to get pissed at alot of people for small things.

As for Billy, well I dunno. It still amazes me that he was given two songs during the Stones set. I know both tracks were US #1 hits but he shoulda just done a support act thing and left it at that. He really was too much in the limelight for a non member. Could anyone imagine the maulling Chuck would cop if he were to do that today?
billy was a solo act with #1 hits .chuck never had any #1 .thats the reason .

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 30, 2009 19:47

Always heard that Billy wanted an equal cut of the touring money ... the last straw for Jag.

Dennis Wilson of Beach Boys fame claimed he wrote "You Are So Beautiful" and Preston stole it.

Are either of these true? I don't, I don't really know ......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-30 19:47 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: November 30, 2009 19:57

No wonder Keith wanted to get rid of Elton John

Is that singing or a screaming cat?

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 30, 2009 22:32

Mick & Billy - Ahoy Hall Rotterdam - 14 October 1973 - Laurens Van Houten

ROCKMAN

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: November 30, 2009 22:50

why do fans refer to keith interviews to find out the answer to any question?seriously,let me translate for you.

so why did billy preston leave? well a guy like billy is so talented that he began to have too much of an influence on the stones sound.

translation:i was so junked out the last few years that mick began writing our hits with other people.he wrote its only rock and roll with ronnie and put my name on it and miss you with billy and put my name on it.like we did with mick taylor,we didn't give him writing credit or the money he was due so he got pissed off and left.

i'll call it my keith bull translator or KBT,it comes in handy you just read what keith says and then face reality.

example #2-keith"i had hepatitis c but i cured it all by myself"ok lets use the KBT-not even remotely possible,if you told a medical practioner this they would laugh at you.he took months of treatment just like every other person who has had this affliction.hes so gone he thinks his fans are still stoned out high school kids who believe his crap.bottom line ,they ripped billy off.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: December 1, 2009 00:20

Whoa! Conjecture alert, Conjecture alert! The documented facts speak for themselves. These are things we can speculate about to no end. The one fact for certain, Billy played as a sideman for the band and then he left.

CBII

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 1, 2009 00:27

<< example #2-keith"i had hepatitis c but i cured it all by myself" >>

The first time I read an interview where Keith discussed kicking smack he said it was easy, he used the Black Box treatment. This was a box with electrodes that a woman in Britain developed that was supposed to cure any substance addiction painlessly. I believe Eric Clapton was her first celebrity "cure". Anyone remember this?

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: December 1, 2009 00:28

I can only remember the much rumored blood transfusions.

CBII

Date: December 1, 2009 01:05

CBII
Whoa! Conjecture alert, Conjecture alert! The documented facts speak for themselves. These are things we can speculate about to no end. The one fact for certain, Billy played as a sideman for the band and then he left.
there is no "conjecture "about it. if you do a little research you can find mick talking about writing miss you with billy.ronnie spilled the beans even more saying the stones did this with iorr and his[ronnies] writing credit.and he also talked about billy being angry.i think his qoute was the stones attitude is-" thank you and fck you".

Date: December 1, 2009 01:08

<< there is no "conjecture "about it. if you do a little research you can find mick talking about writing miss you with billy.ronnie spilled the beans even more saying the stones did this with iorr and his[ronnies] writing credit.and he also talked about billy being angry.i think his qoute was the stones attitude is-" thank you and fck you". >>

I met a photographer who used to work with them who confirmed this. They sometimes don't pay people and are quite arrogant about it.

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: December 1, 2009 02:41

Nashville scuttlebutt I've picked up is that the Stones, dealing with Billy, Ronnie (initially) and others was "the coke is on us, the booze is on us, room service is on us, and the catch is that anything you come up with musically is Jagger/Richard." Whether they spelled this out in advance to the people involved, I don't know. Hell, I don't even know if the scuttlebutt's true. The keyboardist on ER (forget his name) was asked to chip in on the cocaine tab, so maybe none of it's true or times had changed by then.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: December 1, 2009 10:22

Billy went round in circles then he flew high up in the sky.

There's an argument (which I don't go along with) that having a gig with the Stones is so profitable that giving up song royalties is worth it. If Ron had said 'credit me for It's Only Rock and Roll or you can't have it' then the song wouldn't have been recorded and Ron wouldn't have joined the Stones.

Date: December 1, 2009 10:57

71Tele
<< there is no "conjecture "about it. if you do a little research you can find mick talking about writing miss you with billy.ronnie spilled the beans even more saying the stones did this with iorr and his[ronnies] writing credit.and he also talked about billy being angry.i think his qoute was the stones attitude is-" thank you and fck you". >>

I met a photographer who used to work with them who confirmed this. They sometimes don't pay people and are quite arrogant about it.

It is no secret that Bill's bass line is based on Billy's idea. But that is NOT songwriting. It added something to the groove, but the song was written by Mick.

Posted by: boogie1969 ()
Date: December 1, 2009 11:21

Date: December 1, 2009 00:27

The first time I read an interview where Keith discussed kicking smack he said it was easy, he used the Black Box treatment. This was a box with electrodes that a woman in Britain developed that was supposed to cure any substance addiction painlessly. I believe Eric Clapton was her first celebrity "cure". Anyone remember this?

Yep, I don't know if he was her first, but I do believe she did treat him. She treated Townshend too. Apparently her black box really does work.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: December 1, 2009 12:10

71Tele

Yes, her name was Dr Meg Patterson. I think Pete Townshend helped in finding her and her revolutionary blackbox, if memory serves me correctly.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 1, 2009 15:04

does anybody remember keef falling out of the coconut true ?and hitting his head? as mick said during the band intros on love you live," keef is of course completly strait" .

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 1, 2009 15:13

I remember reading Ronnie's explanatiobn how it went ; Ron and Mick Jagger wrote "IORR "and "I can feel the fire" together. Mick took IORR and Ron kept "I can feel the fire"
Rock and Roll,
Mops

Date: December 1, 2009 15:40

I always heard Jagger was pissed about Keith letting Ron have "Act Together" for his solo album(even though they kept the songwriting credit). He wanted it for the Stones. But I dont know if its rumour or fact. I remember when I Rons first solo album was released it was strange to see the two Stones compositions listed as "Richards-Jagger".

Posted by: odean73 ()
Date: December 1, 2009 15:56

Loudei
Keith was not opposed to funk, or Billy's dancing (or flirting) with Mick on stage... the reason why Billy was shipped out was that his playing was just so awesome and so strong that it affected the Stones sound... Billy Preston should have been a solo artist period... his playing was so unique that it drowned the Stones onstage and in the Studio. Nevertheless before the Some Girls sessions , all supporting cast of musicians were shipped out as well... not only because of the punk thing but for finding a band sound again.

Me two cents

I remember watching billy do a warm up show before the stones were due on at B.ham odean and was taken back how good he was and in fact the crowd were shouting for him to come back on, thats how good he was and certainly got the crowd moving.

Date: December 1, 2009 21:50

DandelionPowderman
71Tele

It is no secret that Bill's bass line is based on Billy's idea. But that is NOT songwriting. It added something to the groove, but the song was written by Mick.
oh i get it ,he just wrote the bass line..and mick taylor only wrote a few guitar parts and brian just added a few instruments to the mix and.....got a question for you-why did the stones sound change so much each time one of these people entered the scene or left? what did you think jagger would say?oh,we wrote the song together but didn't pay him.of course not, he would open himself up to legal action.keith is credited on miss you, who do you think wrote more of it,him or billy.

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: December 1, 2009 23:27

squando
The Elton thing was definately Colorado during a daytime show in front of about 75 000 people. I'm sure Rockman would have the pics. Elton stayed on for eight songs I think and that pissed Keith off. Elton I'm sure overstayed his welcome but Keith seems to get pissed at alot of people for small things.

As for Billy, well I dunno. It still amazes me that he was given two songs during the Stones set. I know both tracks were US #1 hits but he shoulda just done a support act thing and left it at that. He really was too much in the limelight for a non member. Could anyone imagine the maulling Chuck would cop if he were to do that today?

I don't remember Elton staying on for 8 songs. I thought it was less, but he had clearly overstayed his welcome. Keith though was visibly pissed off, and I recall seeing Stew looking from behind the amps shrugging his shoulders with hands out with this "what am I to do?" look, when Elton was still on and wouldn't leave. Would have loved to have heard what Keith was saying between numbers. He was really steaming. Similar looks to what he laid out during the Hail, Hail rehearsals during Carol run throughs.

As for Billy leaving the Stones. His time had come. The 78 tour without Billy was a big improvement to my ears. Mac and Stew were a much better fit. Sounds like a dinner combo....

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1244
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home