Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: keith in hail hail rock and roll
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 27, 2009 22:57

I think i prefer the rehearsal stuff to the actual show on Hail Hail RNR

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-28 04:27 by ryanpow.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 28, 2009 07:26

CBII

Some the best Rock N Roll I've ever seen was played over that 2 1/2 weeks. Too hell with the actual concerts (there were in fact three with the best being the Cosmopolitan Club in East Saint Louis) they pale in comparison to the rehearsals I witnessed. A good amount of music was played even before the camera's started rolling. Only a handful of people will ever know all that took place back then. I was there for every minute.

And in between the cameras rolling during the Fox shows! Especially the 2nd show, with Etta James doing the singing, and Keith, Clapton, and Robert Cray jamming.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 28, 2009 11:35

CBII
with sssoul
>> Can you address what I mentioned about Chuck having to overdub his vocals <<

not to speak for CBII of course, but that's discussed in the commentary on the recent dvd release of the film -
which everyone should check out, since it's full of very fine extras

and thanks CBII for those fascinating insights. (to be fair, a lot of us have pondered things you're pointing out,
but as you note, when it's just us pondering it, it's merely speculation; when it's you, it's insight. :E )

Yeah, dad's voice had roached out but that happened a couple of days before the performances at the FOX. The last couple of days he pretty much stopped talking and singing but it was a bit rough. Some parts of the Fox shows vocals were overdubbed, mostly the stuff from the second show.

I'd say nearly all of the guitar work is all straight from the Fox shows. As evidenced by the attempted change in key (of which Keith commented on). The footage from the Cosmopolitan Club is 100%.

The Fox shows are available entirely on bootlegs, and if you compare them to the released movie and album it is clear that about all songs released feature overdubbed vocals by Berry, much of Berry's guitar playing has been edited out as he played very much out of tune, and about half of Richards' guitar parts where overdubbed. Keith's playing on the actual gigs was quite aggressive, and for the actual release he toned down quite a bit.

ps this is not meant as negative or trying to take anything away from this fantastic moment in time, but these are facts.

Mathijs

Posted by: Dark Horse 77 ()
Date: November 28, 2009 13:48

I remember reading once (not sure where) that Dylan was invited and showed up for some rehearsals but left before the concerts because he and Chuck didn't get along?
Is this true?

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 28, 2009 19:21

From things I've read, Keith got his way - he ran a line out from Chuck's amp to an amp in the basement with the way it needed to sound and had that recorded, according to Keith, for the recording - and THAT is what is used in the movie.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: November 29, 2009 20:20

Mathijs

The Fox shows are available entirely on bootlegs, and if you compare them to the released movie and album it is clear that about all songs released feature overdubbed vocals by Berry, much of Berry's guitar playing has been edited out as he played very much out of tune, and about half of Richards' guitar parts where overdubbed. Keith's playing on the actual gigs was quite aggressive, and for the actual release he toned down quite a bit.

ps this is not meant as negative or trying to take anything away from this fantastic moment in time, but these are facts.

Mathijs[/quote]

Being at the shows myself, I too seem to remember more than a few bum notes that miraculously sounded much better on the later movie and CD.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: November 30, 2009 23:36

skipstone
From things I've read, Keith got his way - he ran a line out from Chuck's amp to an amp in the basement with the way it needed to sound and had that recorded, according to Keith, for the recording - and THAT is what is used in the movie.

MuiscMan under the stage as I remember it. The Showman's on the stage actually sounded pretty good.

CBII

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: December 1, 2009 01:51

<< I remember reading once (not sure where) that Dylan was invited and showed up for some rehearsals but left before the concerts because he and Chuck didn't get along? >>

Two of the world's biggest egos not hitting it off? Hard to fathom.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: December 1, 2009 02:03

CBII, thanks for providing some of the more intelligent and level headed commentary I have seen on this board. You are always cool, calm and collected and share some great stuff. Many thanks! thumbs up

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: December 1, 2009 03:14

Dark Horse 77
I remember reading once (not sure where) that Dylan was invited and showed up for some rehearsals but left before the concerts because he and Chuck didn't get along?
Is this true?

Nah, that one is pretty much a myth. I don't remember anything like that happening. There were a bunch of people at the FOX shows that did not set foot on stage.

I do remember Dylan not allowing ANYONE on his tour bus except my father when he performed here in St. Louis a couple of years ago. Bob also paid great tribute to my father within the last year and months in an article in Rolling Stone magazine (?). A loose quote was "There's only one person I put ahead of my self musically and that's Chuck Berry." If I can find the exact quote, I'll post the link.

CBII

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1202
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home