Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
keith in hail hail rock and roll
Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: November 25, 2009 22:58

just watching hail hail rock and roll for the first time in a long while... i must say, this looks like keith at his peak. of course i love bye bye johnny in the 70s, but really, keith nails every solo and is on top of keeping the band in the groove too. reminds me why i like the guy so much.

Re: keith in hail hail rock and roll
Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: November 25, 2009 22:59

Agreed. Just watched this recently and simply loved how ON Keith was - he was at his peak here, arguably.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 25, 2009 23:07

I love when Chuck tries to play mind games with him during the "Carol" rehearsal.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 25, 2009 23:08

71Tele
I love when Chuck tries to play mind games with him during the "Carol" rehearsal.

The look of "kill" on Keith's face is priceless.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 25, 2009 23:11

I know this has been posted a zillion times previously - worth repeating.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 25, 2009 23:24

More Footage

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: November 25, 2009 23:40

theimposter
Agreed. Just watched this recently and simply loved how ON Keith was - he was at his peak here, arguably.

I agree too - although I'd say that this was just the start of his peak, seeing as he then went on to get the Xpensive winos together which I think really showed his true power, raw soul unadulterated even by the Stones.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: November 26, 2009 01:07

Edith Grove
The look of "kill" on Keith's face is priceless.

And what about the cool attitude of Johnny JOHNSON , simply amazing !

HMN

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 26, 2009 01:12

smile: Johnnie Johnson and Steve Jordan both look perfect in this scene
i remember Jordan talking somewhere about what was going through his mind:
"oh fvkk, Keith's gonna knife him and then what - Chuck Berry found dead in his own home!"

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: November 26, 2009 01:29

quite a shame that chuck such an ass and into oneupsmanship and bittaerness..(apologies to cbII here)

he could hardly sing that night from blowing himself out...a shame really....he's out of wind and out of voice and that's realy sad....k tried so hard to pay an incredible homage to him...mebbe he pissed about whatever...johnnie gettin' his due..after YEARS of driving a bus etc..johnnie every bit as important on those hits as chuck imo....

k had to fite him to get in tune for chrissake...and fight w him to get great amp sound etc....
this coulda been a total classic for everyone even casual fans....

oh well

Date: November 26, 2009 01:50

Beelyboy
quite a shame that chuck such an ass and into oneupsmanship and bittaerness..(apologies to cbII here)

he could hardly sing that night from blowing himself out...a shame really....he's out of wind and out of voice and that's realy sad....k tried so hard to pay an incredible homage to him...mebbe he pissed about whatever...johnnie gettin' his due..after YEARS of driving a bus etc..johnnie every bit as important on those hits as chuck imo....

k had to fite him to get in tune for chrissake...and fight w him to get great amp sound etc....
this coulda been a total classic for everyone even casual fans....

oh well

You know I read an interview with the film's director where he said that Chuck (against his wishes) played a gig the night before the show and his voice was already blown out and he had to overdub the vocals later. But when I watched the film recently it didn't appear to be so. Has anybody else heard about this?

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 26, 2009 02:30

i love the expanded dvd release that shows all the extra interview footage. especially Jerry Lee Lewis saying he and Chuck had an argument who was the king of r n r and the Killer said Chuck whipped his ass and proved HE was! HA HA

Date: November 26, 2009 02:46

Rock N Roll ain't always pretty my friends!
But boy, it sure smells sweet!

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: November 26, 2009 07:21

Let me address a few things...

Had Keith peaked? He was on top of his game that's for absolutely sure, peaked? I don't think so, there was still a great deal of creativity flowing from his brain to his fingers. Certainly still plenty of outstanding live work on his part way past Hail, Hail.

Some the best Rock N Roll I've ever seen was played over that 2 1/2 weeks. Too hell with the actual concerts (there were in fact three with the best being the Cosmopolitan Club in East Saint Louis) they pale in comparison to the rehearsals I witnessed. A good amount of music was played even before the camera's started rolling. Only a handful of people will ever know all that took place back then. I was there for every minute.

You have to understand, a great deal of music was left on the cutting room floor or just in our memories. Think of hearing Back To Memphis from the LP of the same name being kicked around as a possible song for the film. The two guitar Gladiators in full battle exchanging licks and solo's all the time amazing each other.

Keith proved himself a very strong player to me (I already knew it) again and again over that period. You only really have seen a hours worth of live playing where I witnessed closer to over a hundred. They did things so incredible over that span of time it exceeded any expectation I had going in about exactly what the outcome would be.

You also must understand there was not one but two Alpha Males battling for dominance in that environment and NEITHER of them were used to playing the subordinate role. It's amazing what editing can do to transform and or place emphasis on the things the director wants to project. It's really important to understand Taylor Hackford job was to sell movie tickets. Only the hardcore music fiend like us would sit around and watch people rehearsing or playing a concert.

Toss in some bickering, drama and the result will be "maybe Keith is going to kill Chuck?." The scene where they are yelling at each other over the AMP is the perfect example. The viewer is never shown or hears what the sound was PRIOR to the argument, we only see the argument and the guitar being turned ALL THE WAY UP after the fact. Did Hackford tell the sound guy to overdrive the mic to illicit a response or was it just too loud? Duh, I don't know they didn't show that part. The scene where Keith was goofing up the into to Carol (and yes, he was), was my dad's amp to loud then, was that scene before or after the "ARGUMENT? Duh, I don't know that either. You the viewer will never know since the movie was edited and presented the way the director and editor cut it. Taylor Hackford knows drama sells tickets. The man was a news reporter long before he became a director. A news segment about "the spring flowers are budding in Hyde park" will be the last thing shown during the news or not even make it but the story about "man rapes dog, smokes joint and found dead with budding flowers popping out of his buttocks on top of the Empire State building" will not only get top story it will get every one's attention.

As far a the bitterness comment, ponder these thoughts;
The fury I've seen written here countless times about how some feel Mick Taylor was allegedly ripped off by the band. It seems like some are more bitter than Mick Taylor and they have zero skin (sorry, I used a Saint Louis term ), Zero Interest in business deal. We are just fans, big fans mind you but just fans never the less. We only see what we are allowed to. Everything else is just speculation. Has anyone ever wondered if Keith, Mick, Charlie or Bill are a bit bitter knowing Allan Kline managed to give them monetary rectal exams and rip them off? Of course, it's been talked about right here on good old IORR. Every time they play Satisfaction, Parachute Woman, Sympathy for the Devil, Let it Bleed and Mothers Little Helper some other entity is getting a share of the proceeds? Every time one of the pre 1971 albums are repackaged and sold they might be getting a small artist royalty but not the publishing royalties? The things written here make it seem like Mick Jagger is a ruthless accountant counting every penny. I say that's complete BS. As the saying goes, "DON'T LET THE SAME DOG BITE YOU TWICE." Only a fool would allow themselves to be bent over and over and over. I don't think Mick, Keith or my father are fools. Maybe some here think they are.

CBII

Date: November 26, 2009 07:36

Hey CBII, thanks for your views on this. Can you address what I mentioned about Chuck having to overdub his vocals on the actual concert portion of the movie because his voice was blown out from the prior night's show? I also agree Keith hadn't necessarily 'peaked' at this point, but I think he was definitely hitting his stride as a guitar player, and as a musician in general.

Date: November 26, 2009 10:01

>> Can you address what I mentioned about Chuck having to overdub his vocals <<

not to speak for CBII of course, but that's discussed in the commentary on the recent dvd release of the film -
which everyone should check out, since it's full of very fine extras

and thanks CBII for those fascinating insights. (to be fair, a lot of us have pondered things you're pointing out,
but as you note, when it's just us pondering it, it's merely speculation; when it's you, it's insight. :E )

Date: November 26, 2009 10:40

@CBII

Your review is priceless !

Thanks very muchthumbs up

HMN

Posted by: Ruby Friday ()
Date: November 26, 2009 11:50

I'm missing something here, and maybe I should know, but who is "CBII" ?

Date: November 26, 2009 11:53

>> who is "CBII" ? <<

the links he provides in his sig line clarify it pretty well i think: [www.myspace.com] and [www.chuckberry.com]

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 26, 2009 11:53

The son of Charles Edward Anderson Berry .......

ROCKMAN

Date: November 26, 2009 14:14

@CBII

At the end of the DVD 2 aka the unseen rehearsals, your father played some of his favorite tunes that he listened to when he was younger.
I think it's the highlight of your father in this DVD, Chuck naked and backin' to his roots.
So, i have a request, could you tell us more about those songs he played.
Never found them anywhere else and also never heard them before watchin' this DVD.
And forgive my english , it's not my first language winking smiley

Thanks in advance

HMN

Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: November 27, 2009 14:03

Beelyboy

I'm reading Chuck's autobiography now, and from what I'm reading he doesn't seem to be such a pompous guy. He seems normal and even humble at times, but not shy to admit when he shined or not.

You got the Sun, You got the Moon,
and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 27, 2009 15:08

Chris Fountain
I know this has been posted a zillion times previously - worth repeating.

my compliments to the l.o. for this gem of a clip of the master and his protege !

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 27, 2009 15:15

CBII
Let me address a few things...

Had Keith peaked? He was on top of his game that's for absolutely sure, peaked? I don't think so, there was still a great deal of creativity flowing from his brain to his fingers. Certainly still plenty of outstanding live work on his part way past Hail, Hail.

Some the best Rock N Roll I've ever seen was played over that 2 1/2 weeks. Too hell with the actual concerts (there were in fact three with the best being the Cosmopolitan Club in East Saint Louis) they pale in comparison to the rehearsals I witnessed. A good amount of music was played even before the camera's started rolling. Only a handful of people will ever know all that took place back then. I was there for every minute.

You have to understand, a great deal of music was left on the cutting room floor or just in our memories. Think of hearing Back To Memphis from the LP of the same name being kicked around as a possible song for the film. The two guitar Gladiators in full battle exchanging licks and solo's all the time amazing each other.

Keith proved himself a very strong player to me (I already knew it) again and again over that period. You only really have seen a hours worth of live playing where I witnessed closer to over a hundred. They did things so incredible over that span of time it exceeded any expectation I had going in about exactly what the outcome would be.

You also must understand there was not one but two Alpha Males battling for dominance in that environment and NEITHER of them were used to playing the subordinate role. It's amazing what editing can do to transform and or place emphasis on the things the director wants to project. It's really important to understand Taylor Hackford job was to sell movie tickets. Only the hardcore music fiend like us would sit around and watch people rehearsing or playing a concert.

Toss in some bickering, drama and the result will be "maybe Keith is going to kill Chuck?." The scene where they are yelling at each other over the AMP is the perfect example. The viewer is never shown or hears what the sound was PRIOR to the argument, we only see the argument and the guitar being turned ALL THE WAY UP after the fact. Did Hackford tell the sound guy to overdrive the mic to illicit a response or was it just too loud? Duh, I don't know they didn't show that part. The scene where Keith was goofing up the into to Carol (and yes, he was), was my dad's amp to loud then, was that scene before or after the "ARGUMENT? Duh, I don't know that either. You the viewer will never know since the movie was edited and presented the way the director and editor cut it. Taylor Hackford knows drama sells tickets. The man was a news reporter long before he became a director. A news segment about "the spring flowers are budding in Hyde park" will be the last thing shown during the news or not even make it but the story about "man rapes dog, smokes joint and found dead with budding flowers popping out of his buttocks on top of the Empire State building" will not only get top story it will get every one's attention.

As far a the bitterness comment, ponder these thoughts;
The fury I've seen written here countless times about how some feel Mick Taylor was allegedly ripped off by the band. It seems like some are more bitter than Mick Taylor and they have zero skin (sorry, I used a Saint Louis term ), Zero Interest in business deal. We are just fans, big fans mind you but just fans never the less. We only see what we are allowed to. Everything else is just speculation. Has anyone ever wondered if Keith, Mick, Charlie or Bill are a bit bitter knowing Allan Kline managed to give them monetary rectal exams and rip them off? Of course, it's been talked about right here on good old IORR. Every time they play Satisfaction, Parachute Woman, Sympathy for the Devil, Let it Bleed and Mothers Little Helper some other entity is getting a share of the proceeds? Every time one of the pre 1971 albums are repackaged and sold they might be getting a small artist royalty but not the publishing royalties? The things written here make it seem like Mick Jagger is a ruthless accountant counting every penny. I say that's complete BS. As the saying goes, "DON'T LET THE SAME DOG BITE YOU TWICE." Only a fool would allow themselves to be bent over and over and over. I don't think Mick, Keith or my father are fools. Maybe some here think they are.
spoken like a true insider . i thank you for your unique perspective on one of the true(your dad) giants of the six string who has always been one of my biggest influences in the world of guitar .amazing !!!!!!!!!

Date: November 27, 2009 21:21

with sssoul
>> Can you address what I mentioned about Chuck having to overdub his vocals <<

not to speak for CBII of course, but that's discussed in the commentary on the recent dvd release of the film -
which everyone should check out, since it's full of very fine extras

and thanks CBII for those fascinating insights. (to be fair, a lot of us have pondered things you're pointing out,
but as you note, when it's just us pondering it, it's merely speculation; when it's you, it's insight. :E )

Yeah, dad's voice had roached out but that happened a couple of days before the performances at the FOX. The last couple of days he pretty much stopped talking and singing but it was a bit rough. Some parts of the Fox shows vocals were overdubbed, mostly the stuff from the second show.

I'd say nearly all of the guitar work is all straight from the Fox shows. As evidenced by the attempted change in key (of which Keith commented on). The footage from the Cosmopolitan Club is 100%.

CBII

Date: November 27, 2009 21:58

Honestman
@CBII

At the end of the DVD 2 aka the unseen rehearsals, your father played some of his favorite tunes that he listened to when he was younger.
I think it's the highlight of your father in this DVD, Chuck naked and backin' to his roots.
Never found them anywhere else and also never heard them before watchin' this DVD.

Thanks in advance

That stuff was from the 30's and 40's. I've mentioned this before (can't remember where) but that's the music he was exposed to when he was a child and teen. As an example, "A cottage for sale" was also covered by Frank Sinatra, Judy Garland, Johnny Mathis and Billy Eckstine. Judy Garland's version is so moving it almost could make one cry.

Can't remember if the original writer was Johnny Mercer, Hogie Carmichael or Conley and Robinson. He will pull one of those standards out of his hat now and again before shows and it just makes me stop in my tracks. Incredible listening to one of the founders of Rock N Roll playing Big Band and Jazz tunes.

The tune "It don't take but a few minutes" makes me want to put on my cowboy boots and yell YEE HAW! Hilarious just how much Country and Western music influenced him. The Keith was obviously heavily influenced by country and western music. Far Away Eyes is at the pinnacle of the form. Bill Wills (and his Texas Cowboys) and Porter Wagner would be proud of Keith and his playing style.

I'll have to watch Hail, Hail soon, it's been a while.

CBII

Date: November 27, 2009 22:22

CBII
Honestman
@CBII

Thanks in advance

That stuff was from the 30's and 40's. I've mentioned this before (can't remember where) but that's the music he was exposed to when he was a child and teen. As an example, "A cottage for sale" was also covered by Frank Sinatra, Judy Garland, Johnny Mathis and Billy Eckstine. Judy Garland's version is so moving it almost could make one cry.

Can't remember if the original writer was Johnny Mercer, Hogie Carmichael or Conley and Robinson. He will pull one of those standards out of his hat now and again before shows and it just makes me stop in my tracks. Incredible listening to one of the founders of Rock N Roll playing Big Band and Jazz tunes.

The tune "It don't take but a few minutes" makes me want to put on my cowboy boots and yell YEE HAW! Hilarious just how much Country and Western music influenced him. The Keith was obviously heavily influenced by country and western music. Far Away Eyes is at the pinnacle of the form. Bill Wills (and his Texas Cowboys) and Porter Wagner would be proud of Keith and his playing style.

Thanks very much for your answer, now i could search for those original amazing tunes if i could find it!
And of course, "It don't take but a few minutes" is really funny , a great tune!

HMN

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 27, 2009 22:26

I wish we'd get the whole Cosmopolitan show in either audio or video... The 2 songs we did get in the movie from that gig always left me wanting MORE!

Date: November 27, 2009 22:27

Honestman
CBII
Honestman
@CBII

Thanks in advance

OOPS! That's Bob Wills and his Texas Cowboy's not Bill.

Thanks very much for your answer, now i could search for those original amazing tunes if i could find it!
And of course, "It don't take but a few minutes" is really funny , a great tune!

CBII

Date: November 27, 2009 22:33

@CBII

Ok great thanks a lot!winking smiley

HMN

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1566
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home