Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ian Anderson's comments on 'The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus'
Date: November 23, 2009 23:34

Ian Anderson's comments on Rock and Roll Circus -

[www.spinner.com]

Jethro Tull Singer Calls Rolling Stones Circus Gig 'Boring'

While 'The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus' brought together some of the greatest musicians in rock history, the concept was just a bit silly, according Jethro Tull frontman Ian Anderson.

"It was a strange atmosphere because it was Mick Jagger's baby," Anderson tells Spinner. "He and the director, Michael Lindsay-Hogg, they had this vision of what they were going to do. They didn't seem to communicate it to the rest of the Rolling Stones, let alone anybody else. We all arrived there, and it was all a bit embarrassing and self-conscious."

The concept was intriguing -- a 1968 TV special that featured the day's top performers playing music in a big-top atmosphere, complete with circus performers and silly costumes. Invited to perform were the Who, Jethro Tull, Taj Mahal and a super group known as the Dirty Mac, which consisted of John Lennon, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix Experience drummer Mitch Mitchell. While the musicians all gathered at once, long delays took the steam out of what should have been a momentous occasion.

"They wanted everybody there all the time because they wanted to make it look like an atmosphere where everybody was together and having a lot of fun and blah, blah, blah," Anderson says. "In fact, it was just deadly boring and a bit silly."

Tull, still a relatively new band, performed the show's first number, 'Song For Jeffrey.' While the Stones performed six songs, most people who saw the show -- including the Stones -- felt that they were badly outperformed by the Who, so the show was shelved until 1996, when it was finally released on video with a soundtrack on CD.
While some have suggested the show proved that the Who were better live performers, Anderson said the Stones had simply played themselves out.

"I was there, and they were pretty good when they were rehearsing," he says. "But they just did too much, and I think Mick Jagger sang himself out. When it came to the crunch, the Who just came in and did a few songs, did what they normally do and -- crash, bang -- the Stones, who had been rehearsing and working at it for ages, felt perhaps a little overshadowed by the energy of the Who."

Re: Ian Anderson's comments on 'The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus'
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 24, 2009 01:33

Interesting perspective...Pete Townshend, who was there until the end, came to different conclusions as you can see in his interview on the DVD. I always thought Tull was an odd choice for this show.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 24, 2009 01:41

Never understood the Quote:

felt that they were badly outperformed by the Who

Talking about silly costumes if one is wearing them it was our friend Ian.

B.t.w. I love his performance on R&RC

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 24, 2009 05:44

71Tele
I always thought Tull was an odd choice for this show.

Tull was picked to open the show only because Led Zeppelin couldn't make it. I thought Tull was a cool choice, though. If the term "Alternative Rock" had existed in 1968, Tull would have been the band it would have been applied to.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 24, 2009 08:34

Ha Ha, Jethro Tull is one of the most boring band I know of.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 24, 2009 09:54

The Stones usually picked the hot new band of the time and Tull were up and coming and getting plenty of good press in 68 much like King Crimson in 69 when they joined The Stones on the bill at Hyde Park. In hindsight they seem like bizarre choices.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 24, 2009 12:17

... so did Anderson make these comments apropos of anything, or is he just being crabby,
or is this a contact-music-style rehash of something he said 14 years or so ago?

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: November 24, 2009 13:08

Re: Zeppelin. More accurate to say Page refused, if I recall.

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: November 24, 2009 13:10

Zack
Re: Zeppelin. More accurate to say Page refused, if I recall.

Why did Page refused? Do you know that? I'm curious about that one.

Posted by: bigtyke66 ()
Date: November 24, 2009 16:43

According to the "Led Zeppelin Concert File" (Dave Lewis & Simon Palett - Omnibus Press):

"Led Zeppelin were also in line to appear in The Rolling Stones Rock'n'Roll Circus Tv spectacular to be filmed at Intertel Studios, Wembley in December. After listening to an audition tape Mick Jagger felt their sound had too much emphasis on guitar and selected another up-and-coming group, Jethro Tull instead."

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 24, 2009 17:00

He needs to shut, er, go play his flute.

Date: November 24, 2009 17:17

bigtyke66
According to the "Led Zeppelin Concert File" (Dave Lewis & Simon Palett - Omnibus Press):

"Led Zeppelin were also in line to appear in The Rolling Stones Rock'n'Roll Circus Tv spectacular to be filmed at Intertel Studios, Wembley in December. After listening to an audition tape Mick Jagger felt their sound had too much emphasis on guitar and selected another up-and-coming group, Jethro Tull instead."

Interpret as "They will blow the place apart and make us look bad"

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: November 24, 2009 17:30

tatters
bigtyke66

Exactly - although Led Zep, The Who and The Stones would have been THE line-up of all time. If it had happened the film would probably have never been released though. Too much for Mick's ego to bear.

Date: November 24, 2009 17:33

Roll73
tatters
bigtyke66

Exactly - although Led Zep, The Who and The Stones would have been THE line-up of all time. If it had happened the film would probably have never been released though. Too much for Mick's ego to bear.

The lineup of all time was The Beatles, The Stones, and The Who, at the 1966 NME concert.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: November 24, 2009 17:40

tatters
Roll73
tatters
bigtyke66

The lineup of all time was The Beatles, The Stones, and The Who, at the 1966 NME concert.

ok - fair enough smiling smiley

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: November 24, 2009 18:12

Roll73
If it had happened the film would probably have never been released though. Too much for Mick's ego to bear.

That's what I was thinking too. Zeppelin would have totally blown the circus tent far, far away.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: November 24, 2009 19:03

I never knew Zeppelin was considered for that show. That would have been awesome.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: November 24, 2009 19:30

Well, Ian mimed to a backing track, you know.

Posted by: nobs ()
Date: January 24, 2015 02:04

Good thing Zeppelin wasn't there, Page may have stolen the entire Stones 70's catalog to come

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: January 24, 2015 02:27

Whatever...judge for yourself.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: January 24, 2015 02:36

The RNR Circus may the only time Tony Iommi played live with Tull.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 24, 2015 02:38

Of course Ian Anderson would have found that party boring, he wasn't much of a partier. I would imagine he would have at least been a bit humbled to be among such rock royalty but I've always found his comments on other rock artists of that time to be somewhat pretentious.

peace

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: January 24, 2015 03:26

Jethro Tull did not perform anything. The whole band mimed, and they were the only band to do so.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 24, 2015 06:09

Too bad they didn't get a mime for Yoko's vocals.

The music jam is pretty damn rockin' if ya can get past Yoko's contribution. I'm pretty sure the applause at the end is because the tune is over. grinning smiley

peace

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: January 24, 2015 07:33

Naturalust
Too bad they didn't get a mime for Yoko's vocals.

The music jam is pretty damn rockin' if ya can get past Yoko's contribution. I'm pretty sure the applause at the end is because the tune is over. grinning smiley

peace

thumbs up

Yoko's contribution always makes me chuckle!

What a drag it is gettin' old

Date: January 24, 2015 07:55

I do believe our own dear Mick Jagger was the session guitarist on one of Yoko's albums (forget which one).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-24 07:58 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 24, 2015 08:36

71Tele
I do believe our own dear Mick Jagger was the session guitarist on one of Yoko's albums (forget which one).

APPROXIMATELY INFINITE UNIVERSE

Date: January 24, 2015 08:43

Glam Descendant
71Tele

Thank you, Glam. Happen to know which tracks he played on?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-24 08:46 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: January 24, 2015 08:56

71Tele
Glam Descendant
71Tele

"Is Winter Here To Stay?"

I've seen Beatles books that say it was "Winter Song" but Nico Zentgraf's site specifies:

"Note: Not to be mixed up with Winter Song"

(me : ) "Is Winter Here To Stay?" makes more sense, as it's a kinda jam song.

I am very, very, approximately infinitely reluctant to post this but here goes:

[soundcloud.com]

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-24 09:40 by Glam Descendant.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: January 24, 2015 17:27

Glam Descendant
71Tele
Glam Descendant
71Tele

"Is Winter Here To Stay?"

I've seen Beatles books that say it was "Winter Song" but Nico Zentgraf's site specifies:

"Note: Not to be mixed up with Winter Song"

(me : ) "Is Winter Here To Stay?" makes more sense, as it's a kinda jam song.

I am very, very, approximately infinitely reluctant to post this but here goes:

[soundcloud.com]

I had never heard it. I like it suprisingly (one listen only, not many more will follow). Mick plays a good bluesguitar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-24 17:28 by RipThisBone.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1900
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home