Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Taylor in Kansas City 1981
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 22, 2009 23:01

"Another notable performance during the tour was the 14 December performance at Kansas City's Kemper Arena. Previous Stones lead guitarist Mick Taylor joined the band for a large part of the performance.[10] Ronnie Wood was not happy with the Taylor's appearance, however: "[He was] bulldozing through parts of songs that should have been subtle, ignoring breaks and taking uninvited solos."

Just read this on the Wiki entry for the '81 Tour. Does this jibe with what we know about Taylor's guest slot in KC? I had read that MT was not even in the PA mix. It seems Wood was having his own problems during this period. Professional jealousy perhaps?

Re: Taylor in Kansas City 1981
Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: November 23, 2009 00:04

i thought it was ronnie & keith who invited taylor to play and it was mick jagger who was not happy?

Date: November 23, 2009 00:22

Me too...hence my puzzlement at this quote attributed to Ronnie.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: November 23, 2009 05:45

The quotes from Wood appear in According to the Rolling Stones, and he drops a number of malignant ones into that book.

To my ears, the boots show Taylor was, despite not having played any of the songs for years and in some cases never having previously played the songs onstage, amazing.

Taylor played chords over Richards opening in YCAGWYW and then played a solo during Mick's singalong. I suppose the Wood quote from Wikipedia could apply to those, but I don't agree with his characterization, Wood might not have the cajones to play over Richards' opening or Mick's singalong, but, to me, Taylor's playing added considerably. And despite Wood's view, I wish Taylor would have played more. I found he consistently added a dimension to the Stones sound and musical soul that I've missed since he left the band.

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: November 23, 2009 07:36

I like Taylor's little ditty played during Beast of Burden. It's simple and adds some swing. It is a tantalizing glimpse of what Some Girls could have been.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: November 23, 2009 07:42

More in this thread:
[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: November 23, 2009 07:48

Smokey: " I found he consistently added a dimension to the Stones sound and musical soul that I've missed since he left the band."

Yeah, I agree about that. He is a great guitarist and made some beautiful solos in that era songs, e.g. Sway. IMO, it was kinda wrong for the Stones to play Sway during the last tour. It should've been played during the seventies with Mick T having a five minute solo fireworks :-)
It was a great combination of sophisticated gtr v ruff gtr. But of course Wood/Richards combination of two rough guitars is also good (esp. pre 1989 tour).

I saw Mick T play with Ventus Blues Band in 2003 at Helsinki and it was an awsome gig, had some marvelous solos there also. But I still wouldn't compare him with Jones or Wood because those three musicians are totally different and all fit into The Stones in their own way.

Date: November 23, 2009 07:55

<<< I like Taylor's little ditty played during Beast of Burden. It's simple and adds some swing. It is a tantalizing glimpse of what Some Girls could have been. >>>

Where cam I hear this??

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 23, 2009 08:03

>> I had read that MT was not even in the PA mix. <<

the fact that he wasn't in the soundboard doesn't mean he wasn't loud on the stage.
in his book All the Rage Mac also describes the problem.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: November 23, 2009 10:41

it would be intresting to listen the audience recording..
(if mick t guitar is more audiable ?

if he's guitar ? more upfront ? a mix of soundboard & audience would be nice !!!!

Date: November 23, 2009 11:32

Taylor is soloing on the opening of Time Is On My Side as well smiling smiley Great slide playing on Black Limousine and in the ending of Imagination, too. I was listening to this boot the other day.

A question: It was said that Taylor wasn't plugged into the PA-system. How come we hear him so well on the soundboard bootleg?

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: November 23, 2009 13:04

if ronnie was upset it was probably due to the fact he came close to being fired during that tour

Date: November 23, 2009 13:57

Mac is backing up Ronnie's story, claiming he left the stage because of Taylor crankin' the amp...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 23, 2009 15:44

DandelionPowderman
Taylor is soloing on the opening of Time Is On My Side as well smiling smiley Great slide playing on Black Limousine and in the ending of Imagination, too. I was listening to this boot the other day.

A question: It was said that Taylor wasn't plugged into the PA-system. How come we hear him so well on the soundboard bootleg?
taylor had his amp cranked to 10 .i think it was a mesa boogie that he was using .taylor was not plugged into the p.a..it was jagger that made the remarks to ronnie to say out loud about taylor amp being to loud .to me this was AMAZING.the triple guitar blitz of taylor ,richards ,and wood .to me it does not get any better than that .fantastic version of ycagwyw.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-23 15:52 by The Greek.

Date: November 23, 2009 15:57

<it was jagger that made the remarks to ronnie to say out loud about taylor amp being to loud>

Well, Taylor was clearly having feedback problems throughout the gig. Mac also complained bout how loud he was blasting it. About Jagger telling Ronnie (and Mac?) to make the remarks - where do you have that from?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 23, 2009 17:39

DandelionPowderman
<it was jagger that made the remarks to ronnie to say out loud about taylor amp being to loud>

Well, Taylor was clearly having feedback problems throughout the gig. Mac also complained bout how loud he was blasting it. About Jagger telling Ronnie (and Mac?) to make the remarks - where do you have that from?
i think i heard it here on a earlier thread about this ,and it could have been in bill german's book also .

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: November 23, 2009 20:36

ghostryder13
if ronnie was upset it was probably due to the fact he came close to being fired during that tour

Really? Why? What happened?

Date: November 23, 2009 21:20

The pictures of the boys on stage show them in regular clothes. Must have been a warm December 14th to play an outdoor stadium in Kansas City of all places. Do your homework!

Posted by: Rochdale3 ()
Date: November 23, 2009 21:29

Kemper Arena is indoors..

[www.kemperarenakc.com]

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: November 24, 2009 03:57

>..it was jagger that made the remarks to ronnie to say out loud about taylor amp being to loud .

As told in Ronnie's book THE WORKS (and assorted interviews), it was *Keith* who instructed (that's a euphemism for "ordered") Ronnie to tell Taylor to turn it down.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 24, 2009 22:12

71Tele
<<< I like Taylor's little ditty played during Beast of Burden. It's simple and adds some swing. It is a tantalizing glimpse of what Some Girls could have been. >>>

Where cam I hear this??

are we talking about the CROSSFIRE HURRICANE boot?

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-24 22:18 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: November 24, 2009 22:16

71Tele

Where cam I hear this??

Anything mentioned here [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 24, 2009 22:27

[www.hungercity.org]

You can still get it here thanks to after8
One seeder left.

Its free to join...

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 24, 2009 22:45

Taylor's technique and musical abilities doesn't take away from the fact that this show sounds like an absolute mess on the bootleg (yes, the one called Crossfire Hurricane). The sound quality is fine, but the performance is sloppy and Taylor isn't very audible.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 24, 2009 23:08

As he is clearly audible in both the audience and SB recording his amp (Keith's Boogie) is miked and send through the PA.

Mathijs

Date: November 24, 2009 23:08

Great photo! Thanks for posting it. I am dying to hear the Richards/Wood/Taylor 3-guitar attack. Did they do anything in the set with Mick J. on guitar? That would have been FOUR. Then Bill could have come out with a guitar and it would have been like the end of those old Outlaws live shows.

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: November 24, 2009 23:20

Quote taken from the 'crossfire hurricane digipack collection':

bill wyman remembering this gig : " we performed this show for 17670 fans, with our usual repertoire. i think it was the worst gig of the whole tour. mick taylor was special guest and he took part in this concert playing guitars. i couldn't hear anything than guitars. i got big problems with my equipement that i couldn't hear at all. but the audience was pretty good"

Date: November 25, 2009 00:16

71Tele
Great photo! Thanks for posting it. I am dying to hear the Richards/Wood/Taylor 3-guitar attack.
That would be more like random fire (95% misses) in the battle of Somme...

Date: November 25, 2009 00:28

<< That would be more like random fire (95% misses) in the battle of Somme...>>>

Well, that's kind of what we've been getting for the last 15 years or so, eh?

Date: November 25, 2009 00:54

71Tele
<< That would be more like random fire (95% misses) in the battle of Somme...>>>

Well, that's kind of what we've been getting for the last 15 years or so, eh?
Yeah, haha. Well, the '81 Kansas City show isn't that bad, of course. It still has a lot of that ragged early 80's Stones energy. I just wanted to let people know that the boot is really a disappointment, IMHO, especially for people who love Mick Taylor's playing, as he's really lost in the blur of guitars and overall mess. Let me put it this way: Taylor's entire contribution audible on this boot is equal to perhaps half a song from a sloppy '73 show. Bill Wyman's account on this gig (published in Rolling with the Stones and approximated above) seems pretty accurate.

Btw, I hope Kansas City has gotten their share of good Stones concerts in due time, since they seem to have been stricken by the "worst show of the tour" epitah both in '81 and '72...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-25 00:56 by LieB.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1865
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home