Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Lot 63, Grave C
Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: November 22, 2009 19:03

Has anyone seen this film by Sam Green, dealing with Meredith Hunter's last day? Does it shed any light on the events of that day? Any Stones contributions/clips?

Re: Lot 63, Grave C
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 22, 2009 19:05

Oh, geez, not Meredith Hunter again.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: November 22, 2009 19:09

Never even heard of it.

There seem to be two camps of thought about MH: (1) Poor martyr murdered by the Angels or (2) Troublemarker (for bringing a gun to a concert) who got what was due him. Which came does the film fall into?

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: November 22, 2009 19:18

I haven't seen it, just heard about it today (after watching Gimme Shelter yesterday for the first time in about 10 years). Wondering if anyone has seen it.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: November 22, 2009 21:26

Anyone know why he went there in the first place, is there anything that says he was a fan? If he wasn't a fan, was there with a gun, and had to deal with that idiot Barger and his cronies, well it's a recipe for sure....

Date: November 22, 2009 22:12

MKjan
Anyone know why he went there in the first place

Free show, dude...

Date: November 22, 2009 22:31

Edith Grove
MKjan
Anyone know why he went there in the first place

Free show, dude...

yeah, free show and he ended up paying the ultimate price.

Posted by: boogie1969 ()
Date: November 23, 2009 02:19

Regardless of why he was there and why he had a gun, I don't think he ever intended to shoot Jagger or anyone else. He had no reason to. In moving around and waving the gun he may have pointed it at Mick, but I don't think he was going to shoot him. There was a thread on here several weeks back with an article from somewhere, maybe Rolling Stone, that told quite a bit about about him and how he, and the girl(friend) he was with, went to the show. Based on what the article says, there is absolutely no reason to even think that Meredith Hunter had any intent to do anything to the Stones, or anyone else, that's just an excuse the Angels used because of the way he waved the gun around. The girl said they decided to venture up close to see the Stones. They went to his car beforehand and he grabbed the gun for protection because they were getting the vibe that things might be pretty ugly upfront. It's been established that the people in the back had a much different experience than those close to the stage. If I'm not mistaken, some people have even said they had a pretty good time and were unaware of the problems with the Hells Angels because they were all up by the stage. Meredith Hunter was stupid for even bringing the gun, let alone taking it upfront and pulling it out, but I don't think he wanted to shoot any of the Stones, I don't think they had anything to do with his drawing the gun out and waving it around. Why Hunter pulled the gun to begin with has always been the problem in trying to figure out what exactly happened. Even the girl, who was able to account for when and why he decided to arm himself, was unable to say exactly what made him draw the gun out. He was either provoked and felt the need to pull the gun, or was trying to show himself to be a bigger man than he really was. Either way, it was stupid and cost him his life.

And most of the Angels involved were low level, racist, drug-dealing, criminal dirtbags, one of which got away with murder.

Date: November 23, 2009 03:08

boogie1969
And most of the Angels involved were low level, racist, drug-dealing, criminal dirtbags.

With the possible exception of "racist" and "drug-dealing," you have also described Hunter.

Carrying a concealed firearm without a permit is a felony, I believe third degree in most states.
I don't know about California law in '69, but I think it's pretty safe to assume that Hunter did not have a right to carry that gun, much less threaten to use it.

Having personal experience on the "wrong" end of a gun myself, I am willing to bet that several people who witnessed Hunter's actions were grateful that someone was there to prevent the carnage that could have ensued.
When someone pulls a gun in the middle of a crowd, there is no time to figure out if he "really plans on using it."

This is not the first time I've written about this.
Perhaps I'm weird, but I just can't figure out why some people have such sympathy for an anti-socialite like Hunter who directly threatened the lives of many people who only wanted to enjoy an evening of music.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: November 23, 2009 03:19

boogie1969
And most of the Angels involved were low level, racist, drug-dealing, criminal dirtbags, one of which got away with murder.

Did someone mention drugs??? --

According to Gimme Shelter producer Porter Bibb, after Hunter was chased back into the crowd, his girlfriend Patty attempted to intervene when Hunter brandished a handgun. Porter Bibb said he does not know if Hunter fired the gun, but in the film an orange flash can be seen in a single frame, although it is impossible to tell for sure. In any case, in the film it is clear that Hunter pulled the gun and as a result was stabbed by an Angel. An autopsy later revealed that Hunter was stabbed five times and was high on methamphetamine at the time of his death.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: November 23, 2009 04:08

Drove by there last month and couldn't believe I drove by history buy you would never have known it unless you know the story. Everything went through my thoughts as I drove by.

Posted by: boogie1969 ()
Date: November 23, 2009 18:57

According to Gimme Shelter producer Porter Bibb, after Hunter was chased back into the crowd, his girlfriend Patty attempted to intervene when Hunter brandished a handgun. Porter Bibb said he does not know if Hunter fired the gun, but in the film an orange flash can be seen in a single frame, although it is impossible to tell for sure. In any case, in the film it is clear that Hunter pulled the gun and as a result was stabbed by an Angel. An autopsy later revealed that Hunter was stabbed five times and was high on methamphetamine at the time of his death.

I'm not implying that Hunter didn't bring it on himself, my post clearly stated his actions got him killed.

his girlfriend Patty attempted to intervene when Hunter brandished a handgun.

Part of my point was also that it's never been fully established WHY he pulled the gun in the first place. It was such chaos around the stage that even the girl, Patty, apparently didn't know what caused him to pull it. Either way, I don't think his intent was to shoot Mick Jagger, or anyone else on stage. The reason I said Mick is because, if I remember right, the Angels whole reason/excuse for jumping on Hunter is they said he pointed the gun at Mick. The Angels were security, thus they were doing their job by attacking Hunter.

I think Hunter was either provoked in some way and felt the need to legitimately defend himself, or he was provoked and instead of letting it go and walking away, he thought he was a big man with a gun and pulled it out. Big mistake pulling a gun on the Hells Angels like that.

And the Bay Area Hells Angels were known for being racist and earning most of their money from drugs at that time. Maybe I could be wrong about the racism, but I doubt it, and I know I'm not wrong about the drug-dealing. They were unpredictable violent dirtbags, that why the Dead tried to tell the Stones it might not be the best idea in the world to hire them for security and pay them in beer.

Date: November 23, 2009 21:46

boogie1969

I'm not implying that Hunter didn't bring it on himself, my post clearly stated his actions got him killed.

his girlfriend Patty attempted to intervene when Hunter brandished a handgun.

Part of my point was also that it's never been fully established WHY he pulled the gun in the first place. It was such chaos around the stage that even the girl, Patty, apparently didn't know what caused him to pull it. Either way, I don't think his intent was to shoot Mick Jagger, or anyone else on stage. The reason I said Mick is because, if I remember right, the Angels whole reason/excuse for jumping on Hunter is they said he pointed the gun at Mick. The Angels were security, thus they were doing their job by attacking Hunter.

I think Hunter was either provoked in some way and felt the need to legitimately defend himself, or he was provoked and instead of letting it go and walking away, he thought he was a big man with a gun and pulled it out. Big mistake pulling a gun on the Hells Angels like that.

And the Bay Area Hells Angels were known for being racist and earning most of their money from drugs at that time. Maybe I could be wrong about the racism, but I doubt it, and I know I'm not wrong about the drug-dealing. They were unpredictable violent dirtbags, that why the Dead tried to tell the Stones it might not be the best idea in the world to hire them for security and pay them in beer.

Did the Dead really tell them it might not be the best idea, or did they suggest the Angels in the first place? It seems the Dead didn't tell them it was a bad idea and advise against it. The Angels of that era were sub human. I saw them in action first hand in CA, at a restaurant.....what a pathetic bunch.

Posted by: slakka ()
Date: November 24, 2009 07:17

Sam sent me a copy to watch and return.

They begin at the gates of the cemetery. Unseen cameraman interact with a cemetery caretaker who speaks on his profession and his sketchy knowledge of Altamont and Meredith. Meredith's grave is located after a brief trek. Its bare no headstone and unvisited.

Its like 8 minutes or so.

Meredith was not murdered as the gun came out first resulting in the knifing as secondary action=self defense.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: November 24, 2009 16:36

My god, not this again!

Here's are a list of multiple choice questions, pick the one that fits...

1. The guy was carrying the gun because he was wearing a LIME GREEN leisure suit and knew there would be trouble.
2. The gun was a fashion accessory that came with the LIME GREEN leisure suit.
3. It was really his girlfriend's gun and he was holding it while she went to the WC.
4. One of the Angels tossed it to him so they had an excuse the knife him.
5. He had portable machining and fabricating tools in his back pocket and made a blue steel BONG that was shaped like a gun.
6. He wanted to see just how fast he could get himself severely injured or killed by flourishing a hand gun in front of the Hells Angels while wearing a LIME GREEN leisure suit.

All are equally stupid and equally a possible causes of his death.

CBII

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1595
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home