Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Ev`ibody rave `bout "Exile", but if "Sticky" is nearly as good, ..
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 23, 2009 03:12

I remember I hated Soul Servival, always skipped it back then and now I love it

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 23, 2009 03:13

<< But I have to admit... I had to get used to some of the songs on Exile. I had to LEARN to listen and to love some of the songs. For example: Tumbling Dice, Hip Shake, Rip This Joint. I hated those songs first, but now I do love to them. I think it's a matter of patience and a matter of learning indeed. >>

I had the exact same response. My first reaction was "what is all this stuff?". I had to go back and give it another chance. As a very young Beatles fan, I had the same response to the White Album. I didn't even get through all four sides for months...Another album like that is Elvis Costello's "Get Happy". 20 songs crammed onto two vinyl sides. Very dense. But it soon became my favorite EC & The Attractions album.

Posted by: RockinBud ()
Date: November 23, 2009 15:40

Exile has 18 songs, all others @ 10 as you are all aware about half the songs on EXILE are from previous London sessions and not from Nellcote..thus somewhat of a mythology has arisen around EXILE which to many makes it unique and culminates in the 72 tour arguably at their utmost pinacle..
If I were on a desert Island it would probably be LIB/SF as most of these songs were recorded in a 12 month period from 3/69 to @ 3/70
RockinBud

Date: November 23, 2009 15:58

More songs on Exile + the "Nellcote-myth" smiling smiley

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: November 24, 2009 01:59

DiamondDog7 wrote:
"I had to LEARN to listen and to love some of the songs. For example: Tumbling Dice, Hip Shake, Rip This Joint. I hated those songs first,"

Well, now we`re talking. "Rip This Joint" has always sounded like real throwaway to me. So light-hearted. -As it was made just for fun. Ah, those 70s. Yeah, it was really only rock `n roll from then on. But this is a difficult discussion. GHS was better. -And then IORR a little less better, and then BAB a little less better than that.

Rock and Roll in just black & white, is that what you want?

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: November 24, 2009 02:29

noughties
DiamondDog7 wrote:
"I had to LEARN to listen and to love some of the songs. For example: Tumbling Dice, Hip Shake, Rip This Joint. I hated those songs first,"

Well, now we`re talking. "Rip This Joint" has always sounded like real throwaway to me. So light-hearted. -As it was made just for fun. Ah, those 70s. Yeah, it was really only rock `n roll from then on. But this is a difficult discussion. GHS was better. -And then IORR a little less better, and then BAB a little less better than that.

=LOL=

EXILE is a masterpiece. But I think some of us have to learn to listen to those tracks and give it a chance. Again, I was one of those who couldn't understand EXILE. But if you read and understand the background information about EXILE and see some footages of L&G, the rolling stones, you WILL love some of the tracks. Not all of them of course. winking smiley

Posted by: RockinBud ()
Date: November 24, 2009 03:41

When EXILE and the 72 tour happened , which I was at at MSG, I was @ 24-25 so I was livin and doin shit and that was the soundtrack of that time..if you were 14 or 4 ya missed it..so its just a record . or 8 track, or casette, or cd or mp3 or whatever the f**k it is...after all Its Only RocknRoll
RockinBud

Posted by: British Columbia ()
Date: November 24, 2009 09:12

noughties
DiamondDog7 wrote:

Hmmmm.....I respect your opinion, and I love Goats Head too, but there is just no way it's better then Exile.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: November 24, 2009 11:10

I love them all, but Sticky is the best album ever recorded, and for me that includes all eras and all kinds of music.

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: November 24, 2009 13:06

bv
Every single Stones album is great, in fact fantastic. Bleed, Sticky, Exile, GHS. Even BTB and ABB. And by the way, what album have they performed every single song from live?

but if every album is fantastic, then they are all equaly good???
i think even a diehardcorefan like you must admit that ABB is lightyears away from classics like LIB, SF or EOMS....

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 24, 2009 13:11

Yeah, on reflection I can see that Sticky is the more concrete of the two. And damn, the songs all have such loving care on their production. The cover, the tongue, the zipper, opening with the all time classic riff. A pure joy. But so many folks have posted on this thread is that Exile has that mood. It has the atmosphere of decay, yet joy on so many levels. And granted it is harder to get into, for just those reasons. But like many legends it truly is a template for all that is holy in rock. This was my second Stones disc, and being 15 I was stunned by how intense it was. It was like discovering the holy grail. I just cant remove it from my top, and never have and wonder if I ever will? But ain't life a bitch when you have to quibble about which one is better Sticky Fingers or Exile on Main Street? What a joy that is!

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: November 24, 2009 20:14

What do you mean by "but if "Sticky" is nearly as good..." I don't understand the "if" in this sentence.

Posted by: Havo ()
Date: November 24, 2009 20:40

For me " A bigger bang" is equal with "Sticky fingers and "Exile"!!

under the boardwalk---down by the sea

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: November 24, 2009 20:45

The big 4(BB,LIB,SF,EOMS are equally great for me, so rather then see them separately, I see them as the greatest output of rock music ever, and it really has the likes of Springsteen and U2 dreaming they could ever approach that.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: November 24, 2009 20:51

Agreed. ABB is the best record ever by anyone.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 25, 2009 10:39

Beggars banquet was the end of a pop band, a mixture between old blues music, rock and folk
Let it bleed was the beginning of as new era, a new musical direction, a new sound, a new guitar technique and playing (this is Keith's masterpiece in guitar playing, both lead, rythm and slide; do you remember him playing slide after this record?)...........and compositions are great
Sticky fingers is PERFECT, no fillers, composition the best, sound the best, guitars the best (the best of Keiths plus the best of Taylor)
Exile is a compilation of those three albums; has the best of the three; has no comercial purposes, has no snobisms, it's a very simple work in wich they play relaxed with no pressures and no ambitions, but play and be happy. The result is a very eclectic album, with its ups and downs, with nice and not so nice songs, some fillers, but with the spirit and signature of our friends with no commercial or innovating polutions. That's why it is our favourite as a whole RS work.

Date: November 25, 2009 10:51

<The result is a very eclectic album, with its ups and downs>

And now I'm curous about the downs. Which downs?

Posted by: DiamondDog7 ()
Date: November 25, 2009 11:09

KeithNacho
Beggars banquet was the end of a pop band, a mixture between old blues music, rock and folk
Let it bleed was the beginning of as new era, a new musical direction, a new sound, a new guitar technique and playing (this is Keith's masterpiece in guitar playing, both lead, rythm and slide; do you remember him playing slide after this record?)...........and compositions are great
Sticky fingers is PERFECT, no fillers, composition the best, sound the best, guitars the best (the best of Keiths plus the best of Taylor)
Exile is a compilation of those three albums; has the best of the three; has no comercial purposes, has no snobisms, it's a very simple work in wich they play relaxed with no pressures and no ambitions, but play and be happy. The result is a very eclectic album, with its ups and downs, with nice and not so nice songs, some fillers, but with the spirit and signature of our friends with no commercial or innovating polutions. That's why it is our favourite as a whole RS work.

I agree on this one.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 25, 2009 11:42

I just wanna see his face............. mmmmmmmm Filler

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 25, 2009 14:33

Sorry but I Just Want to See His Face is no filler. It is an integral part of the whole package. It is erie, full of mist and voodoo. The keyboards are sublime with the backing singers vamping behind Mick's gospel scatting. And a perfect segue into Let it Loose. Great track, and very underrated.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 25, 2009 16:52

There is no "filler" on Exile (or SF, for that matter).

Re:The Rolling Stones
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 25, 2009 17:41

>> do you remember [Keith] playing slide after [Let It Bleed]? <<

sure! on stage in 69/70, 72/73, 75/76, 78 and 99, for example

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1708
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home