Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Surprising Radio ad for Stones Fall Tour
Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: July 27, 2006 20:36

So today at lunch I was listening to WFAN, a New York sports talk radio station, and I heard an ad for the Stones fall tour. And the ad almost implied what songs they would be playing, kind of like those commercials for Sounds of the 70s. It said "come see the Stones stadium show and hear them play" .. and then they played clips from these songs Start Me up, Satisfaction, Honky, Brown Sugar, YCAGWYW, Miss You, TD, JJF, IORR, Sympathy and even YGMR. Then it said also hear them play their new song and they played a few seconds of Rough Justice.

I was surprised to hear this kind of ad almost implying what you will hear them play, although I can't imagine them leaving out any of the songs they said they would play. So have the Stones become this predictable or is the commercial just misleading..

Re: Surprising Radio ad for Stones Fall Tour
Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: July 27, 2006 20:42

Am I the only one who feels this will be far from a sellout? I guess not, maybe that's why an advertisement on WFAN???

for those outside of NYC and the united states...it's an all sports talk AM radio station.

Posted by: RDNZL ()
Date: July 27, 2006 20:43

I heard the same thing. All big artists have ads with their bigs hits playing telling you when tix go on sale. The Who just had a similar ad. Dave Matthews and Stewart and Phish the list goes on and on. I would read nothing into. However, most likely you will hear every song in the ad in September at the show. But, so will the many who never went to see them play before.

Date: July 27, 2006 20:48

Kind of sad that out of the 20 songs they will play you can almost bet your savings account that these 12 will be played, and ONNYA (which I love and should be featured). Probably wouldn't be too hard to predict the others as well..

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: July 27, 2006 20:53

RDNZL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I heard the same thing. All big artists have ads
> with their bigs hits playing telling you when tix
> go on sale. The Who just had a similar ad. Dave
> Matthews and Stewart and Phish the list goes on
> and on. I would read nothing into. However, most
> likely you will hear every song in the ad in
> September at the show. But, so will the many who
> never went to see them play before.

There was an ad for an upcoming Dylan concert on the radio yesterday and they did the same thing, played sound bites of all his hits. I had to laugh, because he probably will do very few of those in concert and the ones he does may very well be so rearranged they scarcely resemble the originals. Which is a good thing - I wish the Stones would follow his example.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 27, 2006 21:29

I also think the Stones should do Dylan songs in unrecognizeable fashion - best suggestion of the week.

Posted by: shidoobee ()
Date: July 27, 2006 21:45

People in advertising pick the tunes the Stones are most known for among ORDINARY people. There are more of them than there are of us. (Fortunately) So that's their main target group. They know we'll turn up anyway. And they know the Stones will do some songs that only hard core and life long fans know how to apreciate. But to the common man and woman, those songs ar quite unknown. It's just marketing. Relax, people. They'll listen to us, too!

Date: July 27, 2006 21:59

I just found it funny that the only well known hits the ad played were ones they play every tour and they also including YGMR.. Didn't hear them playing Street Fighting Man, Get Off My Cloud or Paint it Black.

I gave up on hoping they'd listen to their hardcore fans.

Posted by: drake ()
Date: July 27, 2006 22:09

advertisement serves the masses. pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

-Drake

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: July 27, 2006 22:10

drake Wrote:
> advertisement serves the masses. pay no attention
> to the man behind the curtain.

are u behind the curtain? if so, already taken care of.....

Posted by: drake ()
Date: July 27, 2006 22:20

forget the man, i'm the curtain

-Drake

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: July 27, 2006 22:23

StonesTod Wrote:
> I also think the Stones should do Dylan songs in
> unrecognizeable fashion - best suggestion of the
> week.

If we can get Keith and Ronnie to get loaded and then slip Like A Rolling Stone back into the setlist you may well get your wish.

Posted by: virgil ()
Date: July 27, 2006 22:29

I just one on wods in Boston.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1623
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home