Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

The Rolling Stones New Orleans Shows
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 18, 2009 00:32

Based on Chet Flippo's book The Rolling Stones have only been in New Orleans, at that time, 2 times - 1978 and 1981. I know they went there in 1989 and 1994.

That's it, right?

They peaked in 1981 attendance wise. They'll never come back.

Re: The Rolling Stones New Orleans Shows
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 18, 2009 01:12

skipstone
They'll never come back.

Don't be so damn pessimistic!

And, yeah, I've seen every show since '78.

We got that new Arena now too, so they don't have to try and fill the Superdome.

Or, they could play the University of N.O. Arena. 5000 seats. I could deal with that!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-18 01:27 by Edith Grove.

Posted by: drummer_dude ()
Date: November 18, 2009 03:08

I am looking forward to seeing them again in New Orleans and if they forget about us again, I will end up going see them in Texas. I want to see them in New Orleans, its closer to home for me.

drummer_dude

Date: November 18, 2009 03:49

Hopefully tickets would be affordable if they were to come back to New Orleans. I'm guessing getting tickets would not be a problem, ha ha...

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: November 18, 2009 06:50

I was there at the 1978 Superdome concert. Van Halen opened the show and were followed by the Doobie Bros. The ROLLING STONES then hit the stage and the real concert began. The only bad part about the show was the fact they opened all the doors at about the same time except for the doors where we were at, I think our group was one of the last ones let in and therefore we ended up with about the worst seats in the dome. Still, a fabulous concert by the boys and one that at the time, set the world record for an indoor concert if my memory is right.

Mike

Date: November 18, 2009 08:08

Both shows at the Supe set records at that time for a indoor concert.

Date: November 18, 2009 19:14

skipstone

Good point Skip, in fact, I think the 1981 Rolling Stones concert at the Superdome may still be the indoor concert record. Maybe someone will double check on it.

Mike

Posted by: izzyanderson ()
Date: November 18, 2009 19:29

Wasn't the New Orleans show in 1994 broadcast on the radio? I remember taping one show from the VL tour and playing along on my drums to the entire concert when I was a kid. That's pretty much how I learned how to play. I would even leave the room while the crowd was cheering for an encore. Ah, memories...

Posted by: jeanmarie ()
Date: November 18, 2009 19:31

RSbestbandever
skipstone

Good point Skip, in fact, I think the 1981 Rolling Stones concert at the Superdome may still be the indoor concert record. Maybe someone will double check on it.

Mike

you're right, 80,173 fill Dome in 78, 87,500 in 1981:

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: November 18, 2009 19:38

They played Baton Rouge in 75

Date: November 18, 2009 20:15

jeanmarie
RSbestbandever
skipstone

Mike

you're right, 80,173 fill Dome in 78, 87,500 in 1981:

Thank you JeanMarie. Much appreciated.

Mike

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 18, 2009 20:37

Edith Grove
skipstone
They'll never come back.

We got that new Arena now too, so they don't have to try and fill the Superdome.

Or, they could play the University of N.O. Arena. 5000 seats. I could deal with that!
i saw slowhand there in 1992 at the university of n.o. arena .thats the seating capacity 5000 only .sure looked bigger to me maybe like 12-15 thousand seats?

Posted by: Fredluvzstones ()
Date: November 18, 2009 21:01

I sure enjoyed the 78 show from what I remember of it! I wish there was a good quality video out there of it. What I have is pretty bad but it is better than nothing!
Hello Edith Grove!
Hope all is well!
Fred Hardin
Pleased to meet you........

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 18, 2009 22:14

The Greek
Edith Grove
skipstone
They'll never come back.

i saw slowhand there in 1992 at the university of n.o. arena .thats the seating capacity 5000 only .sure looked bigger to me maybe like 12-15 thousand seats?

I was at that Clapton show as well.

I've only heard that the UNO Lakefront Arena seats 5000, but that seems right to me.
The UNO arena is only a fraction of the size of a typical NBA basketball arena.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 4, 2016 08:04

Old thread, I know, but this popped up. From 2014:

Rolling Stones Attendance Record Broken

Even if you loathe and detest country music (like me), you have to respect the legends. Saturday night in Dallas, the venerable George Strait broke the North American attendance record for an indoor concert that the Rolling Stones had held for over 30 years.

Back in 1981, the Stones played to an audience of over 87,000 at the Superdome in New Orleans. No indoor concert had drawn that many people until 104,000 people packed into AT+T Stadium in Dallas for what was billed as George Strait’s final concert.

[kmhk.com]

Date: March 4, 2016 16:03

GasLightStreet
Old thread, I know, but this popped up. From 2014:

Rolling Stones Attendance Record Broken

Even if you loathe and detest country music (like me), you have to respect the legends. Saturday night in Dallas, the venerable George Strait broke the North American attendance record for an indoor concert that the Rolling Stones had held for over 30 years.

Back in 1981, the Stones played to an audience of over 87,000 at the Superdome in New Orleans. No indoor concert had drawn that many people until 104,000 people packed into AT+T Stadium in Dallas for what was billed as George Strait’s final concert.

[kmhk.com]

I was at the 1981 Super Dome Show. Was crazy. General admission. You had zero control of your body. You went which ever way the crowd forced you. There were times I would almost be on a 45 degree angle and could not help it and would not fall down. A guy in the crowd freaked out, pulled a knife out and as the crowd tried to get away from him. My friend and I were forced straight to the front. He had the plywood barrier in front of him that is right in front of the stage and I was right behind him. Great show. It was rumored to have been filmed and aired on MTV which did not happen. Towards the end of the show Mick came out with a fire hose and hosed down the crowd. We both got soaking wet. We tried to find a Hotel after the show but could not and we ended up spending the night at the New Orleans airport. When we got to the airport is was full of Stones fans most of them wearing Stones T Shirts. Slept there and caught our plane back to Dallas the next morning. I was 16 at the time. Great memory. I would not allow my 16 year old to ever do that this day and age. George Thorogood was the warm up. Seeing him tomorrow night. First time to see him since 1981! Would love a Stones show in N.O. and please if they do. Do the Super Dome again.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: March 4, 2016 17:20

skipstone
Based on Chet Flippo's book The Rolling Stones have only been in New Orleans, at that time, 2 times - 1978 and 1981. I know they went there in 1989 and 1994.

That's it, right?

According to [timeisonourside.com]

The Superdome July 13, 1978
The Superdome Dec. 5, 1981
The Superdome Nov. 13, 1989
The Superdome Oct. 10, 1994

There was also a show planned in 2005 but cancelled after Katrina.

Posted by: VoodooAllie ()
Date: March 4, 2016 17:37

Let's add 2016 to that List!!!! Come back to the Big Easy, Rolling Stones! This place loves to party & the Smoothie King Arena would be perfect for your return visit! We'll roll out the Red Carpet, I guarantee!

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: March 4, 2016 17:59

My 3rd favorite city and the Stones have to play there, one more time.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: March 4, 2016 18:12

I too was at the '78 show. I completely missed Van Halen ( I'd never even heard of them at that time ) I think I caught the last couple of tunes by The Doobies and I don't remember a damn thing about The Stones' show. I must have been Blasted eye popping smiley

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: March 4, 2016 18:36

I just scratch my head why they have skipped NOLA recently.

Posted by: BamaStone ()
Date: March 4, 2016 20:36

Yep Superdome was my first Stones show 12/81, and it did set an indoor record, over 80,0000, I think it might have been broken but just recently. Neville Brothers and George Thorogood were the opener.

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: March 4, 2016 23:17

@#$%&
Wasn't the New Orleans show in 1994 broadcast on the radio? I remember taping one show from the VL tour and playing along on my drums to the entire concert when I was a kid. That's pretty much how I learned how to play. I would even leave the room while the crowd was cheering for an encore. Ah, memories...

Yes! I remember listening to it; wish I'd have taped it!

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: March 5, 2016 00:49

VoodooAllie
Let's add 2016 to that List!!!! Come back to the Big Easy, Rolling Stones! This place loves to party & the Smoothie King Arena would be perfect for your return visit! We'll roll out the Red Carpet, I guarantee!

As a Louisiana resident, I totally agree, but as a side note--there's something so embarrassing about the renaming of these corporate-sponsored venues. I think the worst might be the KFC Yum! Center in Louisville. I don't know whether I'd be more mortified to say I was playing the Yum! Center, the Smoothie King Arena, or Whataburger Field. confused smiley Of course, the money I'd be making might ease the pain.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: March 8, 2016 17:03

franzk
skipstone

That's it, right?

According to [timeisonourside.com]

The Superdome July 13, 1978
The Superdome Dec. 5, 1981
The Superdome Nov. 13, 1989
The Superdome Oct. 10, 1994

There was also a show planned in 2005 but cancelled after Katrina.

They were supposedly going to play the Arena, not the Superdome. And the only reason they'd even consider it is because it holds about 20,000 people for shows, which they probably wouldn't've sold out anyway.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2412
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home