Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Whats your favorite @#$%&?
Posted by: Tommpa ()
Date: July 20, 2006 16:51

i Like Let´s spend the night together. Its nice to hear songs from tattoo you and emotional rescue. Mick and the boys got the energy here.

Re: Whats your favorite @#$%&?
Posted by: glimmer twin 81 ()
Date: July 20, 2006 17:13

most dvds are bad because they are all cut and
most of them are recorded within the usa where the
crowd is pretty boring
they should put a southamerica or southeurope
show on film and not some wall street idiots in the
first row who are SITTING in a @#$%& stadium

Posted by: J-J-Flash ()
Date: July 20, 2006 17:16

glimmer, Stones seem to play their best in the US and have had their most memorable tours there. Gimme Shelter is the best among released stuff, don't see any Wall Street people on that one.

Of the boots I would say (besides the great Ladies & Gents) perhaps Paris 76 and of the newer ones I really like MSG 2005 and Saitama.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: July 20, 2006 17:20

I believe a sitting wall street idiot could enjoy a concert just as much as a crazy wanking fool jumping around. And where can you see these wall street idiots? In LSTNT, Gimme Shelter or Four Flicks?
And how about Japan in the 60s/70s/80s, where the audience sat really quiet? Lotsa terrific concerts over there.

Posted by: glimmer twin 81 ()
Date: July 20, 2006 17:20

jj flash
for sure they play their best in the US cause they
always play their best
but i still have to say vl btb and flick msg are @#$%& boring
because of the crowd its a fact
i wonder how somebody came to the stupid idea to shoot btb in
st louis
i mean redneck city
thats stupid

but i have to admit that flicks london is bad too
so better no live dvd from uk anymore

Posted by: Bockwuchsd ()
Date: July 20, 2006 17:32

It's nice with all the official concert releases but I prefer rare footage and backstage and rehearsel footage. For that reason I am one of the few people who like the "Just For The Record" DVD box very much. The lack of original Stones music doesn't affect me cause when I want to listen to Stones music I can put a CD into the player. The JFTR DVD's contain some great footage from throughout their career.

I like @#$%& Blues cause it's a kind of a time capsule into the early 70s and of course I love Gimme Shelter, mainly for the Studio and Road scenes. 25x5 is great, too.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: July 20, 2006 22:28

It would have to be Ladies & Gentlemen, but if we're talking official DVD/video releases, then I'll side with Voodoo Lounge.

Posted by: LeedsLungs71 ()
Date: July 20, 2006 23:02

I really like the bootleg DVD from this year's show at Radio City Music Hall. Keith was on fire during Sympathy For The Devil!

Something about a theater show that brings out the best in the Stones.

Posted by: midrambler ()
Date: July 20, 2006 23:03

Official??? 4 Flicks for sure!!!!

Bootleg???? Japan 2006

Date: July 20, 2006 23:05

LeedsLungs, I agree, it's very special!

Concerning offical DVDs, Gimme Shelter is the definate best one.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: July 20, 2006 23:17

Of the officials, my favourite are the ones that captures the band young, fresh and dangerous, and in the process of reaching the top form: R&R Circus, Stones In The Park, Gimme Shelter... I am eager to add CS Blues and Ladys & Gents into the list.

- Doxa

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: July 20, 2006 23:48

the new and improved Gimmie Shelter. crank it up!!!!!!!1

Posted by: mikey ()
Date: July 21, 2006 01:53

OK list of the best Stones DVDs - not up for debate these are the best!

No. 1). GIMME SHELTER Arguably the best ever rock doc and filmed almost by default (as they weren't the first choice) by the Maysles brothers ably abetted by the sublime editing skills of the late Charlotte Zwerin. Captures the band at the height of it's powers towards the end of their triumphal U.S. tour of late '69. From the ecstatic reception of M.S.G. to the debacle of Altamont via Muscle Shoals this is the finest Stones film bar none.

Beautifully restored and a joy to watch.

If it's not in your collection - it should be!

No. 2). THE COMPLETE ED SULLIVAN SHOWS. 1964- '69 Two editions to choose from version one comes with rehearsals from January '67's show plus the Stones NME awards appearance from 1965 and Michael Lyndsey Hogg's second Jumpin' Jack Flash promo from May of 1968.

Version two comes with no extras but a much cleaner image - you takes your choice.

No. 3). THE ULTIMATE TV MASTERS. Includes nearly all their Shindig appearances plus their U.S. TV Debut on the Dean Martin show and Gimme Sheler and Honkey Tonk Women as filmed at Elektra studios plus another highlight from 1969, "You Can't Always Get What You Want" from the U.S. David Frost Show.

Packed with clean and well sourced videos and gives a great insight into what all the fuss was aabout in the early days.

No 4). CHARLIE IS MY DARLING. Various versions including the almost legal (about a couple of dozen copies made it into the UK before they were literally pulled from the shelves) Australian DVD.

My favourite is the beautifully sourced altenative edit free from "tram lines" and other archival detritus which shows in stunning quality the band on a two day tour of Nothern Ireland in 1965. Very par for the course for the Stones but a major opportunity for the young and highly talented Peter Whitehead who directed the film and tried with varying degrees of success to gain some insight into the band as an entity and individually. The interviews with Brian Jones are particuarly prescient.

No. 5). ROCK N' ROLL CIRCUS Although my personal preference is the edit on the black and white version, this still kicks ass (as they say). Great version of Jumpin' Jack Flash and "No Expectations" is brill too (the official release for some weird reason edits out Brian's slide playing.

No band has ever come close to looking as cool as the Stones did in 1968 (or '66, 67. 69, 70, 71, 72 (ish) for that matter and the rest is up for debate)

No. 6). @#$%& BLUES You need to do a little homework on sourcing this DVD as most (especially 4REELS "BIG" C.S. BLUES suck on ice. But Robert Franks' '72 tour doc is still a sobering look at the "rewards" of life on the road. More interesting than LADIES AND GENTLEMEN which is like a companion piece insofar as it's just a straight ahead concert (mainly ForT Worth) from the same tour.

No. 7). THE MARQUEE "71> Nearly released officially in the early nineties apart from Mick going off the idea (as per bloody usual). Anyway a brilliant film with a wonderfully wasted Keith screwing up guitar lines with great aplomb and the Mick proving that as a front man he was without equal.

No-one but no-one has ever bettered Mr Jagger in his prime.

As for all the stuff from the nineties into the noughties, nice souveneirs but don't hold a candle to these gems.

Although Keith's "91 (?) Boston concert with the XPensive Winos I will almost make an exception for, Fantastic rendition of "Something Else"

Posted by: jumpinjackgreg ()
Date: July 21, 2006 03:07

I really enjoy the official B2B Dvd from St. Louis. It was my first Stones DVD and I think it has some really great songs on there. You can't go wrong with Saint of Me, OUt of Control, Gimme Shelter, Waiting on A Friend and a Like A Rolling Stone. The bad thigns about it are they only include one Keith song and they nixed a pretty good version of Anybody Seen My Baby and Corina Corina. Jumping Jack Flash and Satisfaction on that DVd are cooking.

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: July 21, 2006 03:42

yer that Keef solo on Satisfaction is ripping !

Posted by: TeleK ()
Date: July 21, 2006 05:01

official ones:
let´s spend the night together
live at the max
gimme shelter ( for the atmosphere )

boots:
hampton (one of my favourite dvd,cause i like the 81s sound,great)
atlantic city
ladies & gentleman

-----------------------------------------------------
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away

Posted by: patel ()
Date: July 21, 2006 06:33

glimmer twin 81 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> most dvds are bad because they are all cut and
> most of them are recorded within the usa where
> the
> crowd is pretty boring
> they should put a southamerica or southeurope
> show on film and not some wall street idiots in
> the
> first row who are SITTING in a @#$%& stadium

hey whats your problem with wall street pal? do you like to visit nyc? taxes paid on wall street bonuses largely finance city services so you should be grateful nyc's credit rating was recently improved due to the bull market that began precisely in march 2003 (and is seemingly ending now so hint hint raise cash in your ira if you have one to speak of) and if you had any brains you made money in the market with which to purchase many stones tickets so take your comment about wall street and eat $^!t

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 21, 2006 07:18

midrambler Wrote:
> Official??? 4 Flicks for sure!!!!
>
> Bootleg???? Japan 2006

I agree. Ladies & Gentlemen and Gimme Shelter (Criterion version with extras) are essential too, though. And how can you not include 25X5, which is way more interesting than the Beatles Anthology despite being 1/6 the length!

On the down side, as much as I love the 72-73 stones, CS Blues has always seemed just . . . boring.

Date: July 21, 2006 07:20

CS Blues is a great...or at least interesting movie, IF you see it every 4th year or so. More than that.....then it's boring.
Gimme Shelter which is also a documentary/concert movie can be viewed every day though.

Posted by: stonedmike ()
Date: July 21, 2006 08:41

i just saw btb enjoyed it immensly until the four horn army destroyed it

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: July 21, 2006 10:10

"four horn army" --> one to remember!

B2B with that stage could have been a real cool release, but the audience look like their watching a dvd themselves, same with Live at the Max. They also could have released Barcelona 1990, the show that was broadcasted on tv that year: great performance and a almost "Buenos Aires"-like crowd.

The best: Four Flicks.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: July 21, 2006 10:22

Official:
Four Flicks.
Gimme Shelter.
Voodoo Lounge Tour DVD.

Bootlegs:
Nippon Voodoo.
Buenos Aires 2006.
Ladies & Gentlemen.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Pokalheld ()
Date: July 22, 2006 01:36

Official: Four Flicks

Posted by: Hanns Rainsch ()
Date: July 22, 2006 02:46

Offical: Four Flicks
Bootleg: Brixton (bad quality, but great performance)
Hampton Roads, VA
Bremen, Germany

I have to admit that the crowd on the St. Louis DVD is really boring.
Also, the whole performance is a bit too polished and Vegas-styled for my taste.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: July 22, 2006 08:42

my fav four flicks
lets spend the night together
stones in the park

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: July 22, 2006 22:31

Buenos Aires 2006 is my favourite. The Midnight Rambler version in it did it for me...

Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: July 22, 2006 23:39

Tommpa Wrote:
> i Like Let´s spend the night together. Its nice to
> hear songs from tattoo you and emotional rescue.
> Mick and the boys got the energy here.

Same.

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: July 23, 2006 00:28

The best compilation of live stones from 69 on is Hot Stuff, 5 DVDs, almost 150 vids, about 120 different songs, the very best of every tour and the 500+ DVDs in my collection:

[bootcoverz.com]
[bootcoverz.com]
[bootcoverz.com]
[bootcoverz.com]
[bootcoverz.com]

Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: July 23, 2006 00:59

Oh man great collection.How can anyone own this one?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1564
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home