Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Official Aftermath Appreciation Thread
Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: July 5, 2006 02:23

I thought that we could share our perspectives on some earlier stuff, and one album that has always fascinated me for some reason is Aftermath.

Both versions (US and UK) paint an interesting, bleak picture at times, while at others it appears to be one in which the songs represent a search for redemption somehow.

However, the greatest theme that I sense within the album(s) as a whole is the sense of fleeing, or leaving to new places in life, or destinations in the mind. Some titles give us an idea of this: Flight 505 (though that's kind of satirical), It's Not Easy, Going Home, Think.

It doesn't seem to tread ground lightly.

Tracks (on both versions) such as Mother's Little Helper, Paint It, Black, I Am Waiting, Under My Thumb, Lady Jane really stand out and add to this vibe.

I've always thought that Goats Head Soup is an album that should be played on a rainy day, or a cold bleak winter day.

That being said, Aftermath seems like it should be played in the early early morning hours when all is dark and quiet. Albums give a particular image or feel, and that's the one that comes to mind for me

It's an album that doesn't get mentioned much I feel, which is sad.

What are your thoughts on Aftermath?

Re: Official Aftermath Appreciation Thread
Posted by: highanddry ()
Date: July 5, 2006 02:59

It is the ultimate Brian/Mick album, with its pop music (Mick) sensibilities, and its diverse use of instruments (Brian)

I'll take Aftermath every single day of the week over every, and I mean EVERY, album that came after Exile.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: July 5, 2006 03:00

The UK version is one of the best pop albums ever, its pure magic from start to finish. I don't like the US version.

Posted by: 12X5 ()
Date: July 5, 2006 03:12

I love Aftermath...heck, I love all of the really early albums. I don't understand why they don't get talked about more, they're awesome. My favorite of the early stuff is Now! but Aftermath is great too. Perfect pop rock album. Under My Thumb, Lady Jane, Mother's Little Helper, Out of Time, I am Waiting, Stupid Girl, High and Dry,Going Home, Flight 505...how could anyone not love an album with those great songs on it?

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: July 5, 2006 03:22

Agree with you all.

Always liked it until I heard the UK version - then it went to a whole 'nother level entirely. For me, Bleed, Sticky, and Exile are all tied for #1. Aftermath would have to rank a very close second.

Maybe it's just because it's the first album entirely in stereo, but I think it's the best sounding of all the pre-Jimmy Miller stuff. And the RCA stamp is all over it - it just seems to breathe L.A.

Everybody blossomed on this record - Mick as a vocalist in both sneer and quality of singing, Keith went way beyond anything he'd done before, Brian was all over the map, Bill's bass is like a rubber band, and Charlie plays in a different style on almost every track. Not to mention the Jagger/Richards songwriting team - they took off the training wheels here.

Funny you mention when you like to listen to it, Jumpin' Jack - for me, this record sounds best on a warm spring night. Very much of a time and place, regardless.

@#$%& GREAT record.

Posted by: Stones89 ()
Date: July 5, 2006 04:19

Quite simply: Aftermath rocks! Would love to see that, some of the songs that appeared on Flowers and Between The Buttons as a double album! Eat your heart out Exile! winking smiley

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 5, 2006 05:23

The aftermath of Swingin' London...Fame..drugs
screaminnnnn' gggggirls...hangers on...groupies
All Jagger/Richards...Brian...dulcimar..sitar
dulcimer...RCA...Andrew Loog..Dave Hassinger
Anita..full on girly put downs...deadly Flight 505..
Out Of Time and an 11 minute sexual grind down.....CLASSIC

Awww yeah by the way...for full trip must be UK version..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: nick ()
Date: July 5, 2006 06:33

If it were not for the long version of Out Of Time and Mother's Little Helper appearing in stereo on the UK SACD, I would had picked up the US SACD and never seen the light about the UK version being the better of the 2.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 5, 2006 06:42

But then you'd miss out on Take It Or Leave It and What To Do...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: July 5, 2006 13:55

IMHO just as important and groundbreaking a release that year as Blonde on Blonde, Pet Sounds and Revolver, and arguably more enduring.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: July 5, 2006 14:09

Brutal,popy,magic,bluesy,drugy..this album has it all!!!

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: July 5, 2006 14:12

rooster . . . we need your enthusiasm in the UAWCPM thread!

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: July 5, 2006 14:17

great album imo

Date: July 5, 2006 14:36

nikkibong Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> rooster . . . we need your enthusiasm in the
> UAWCPM thread!

Wich thread???Are you havin a good time ..nikki Bong? Dontyou know your the rebel of Tell me...my wife thinks you very funny andme to!! dont go!!

Date: July 5, 2006 14:37

your WIFE! wahhhh - i mean, congratulations! hang on, i'll get the link to the thread where a ROOSTER INFUSION is desperately needed!

Date: July 5, 2006 14:38

Date: July 5, 2006 14:42

i thought she was just your girlfriend - ya know, secular dutch style! winking smiley

Date: July 5, 2006 14:56

She is one of a kind...and i lle be back next season with a bang...bong!!!

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 5, 2006 15:42

I've never been a huge fan of Aftermath. I liked when I first bought the US edition and liked it even more after I purchased the UK edition, but I think a lot of the tracks are quite weak. It's often celebrated for the fact that it was the first LP with all Jagger/Richards originals and while that’s certainly something to celebrate, I think that’s what lets it down too. I personally think it took the Stones a good while to really become consistently good songwriters and songs like Take It Or Leave It and Think just don't cut it for me. I personally much prefer other 60's albums like Decembers Children, Out Of Our Heads etc.

Not counting the great singles (imo, the Stones were primarily a great singles act up 'till ‘68) Beggars Banquet is the true begging of the Stones as wonderful songwriters in my opinion.

Posted by: LQ1977 ()
Date: July 5, 2006 15:56

Aftermath is actually my favourite album, closely tied with Let it bleed. It has Brian written all over it, which is of course much of the reason why I love it so much. :-) My Dad had (and still has) the UK vinyl in his collection and he had played it so much that it was all scrathes and bumps, I had to buy another one. I still prefer the UK version, although the US CD is the one I have.

Nice to see that many others also appreciate this album, I find it strange that it does not get mentioned more. The instruments Brian brings in are making the album very special - and it is also the first album where Mick and Keith has written all the songs. It certainly deserves all the praise it can get!

Posted by: Odd-beat ()
Date: July 5, 2006 16:58

It's actually my top Stones album too, all things considered.
Sure I adore LiB and SF, but Aftermath is more completely satisfying to me, more consistent.
I have heard it inside out when it came out (US stereo version) and to this day can't disavow it: it is funky and moody, and it rocks!

Posted by: curtisdavis ()
Date: July 5, 2006 18:35

flight 505 ,,,lady jane....under my thumb ,,,great almost lost album,,,,,everyones to busy listening to E.O.M.S or Let it bleed wich is fine I think alot of people sleep on AFTERMATH ;Brians feel is all over the album

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 5, 2006 19:13

curtisdavis Wrote:
> flight 505 ,,,lady jane....under my thumb ,,,great
> almost lost album,,,,,everyones to busy listening
> to E.O.M.S or Let it bleed wich is fine I think
> alot of people sleep on AFTERMATH

Although I'm not a huge Aftermath fan, I do fully agree with your statement. I'd actually go a little further and say, singles aside of course, that the whole 1963-1967 period is very much overlooked, ESPECIALLY by the band when it comes to set-lists.

Posted by: Some Girl ()
Date: July 5, 2006 19:25

Mother's Little Helper is the song that made me stop and listen to the Stones for the first time. And in a way, so is PIB. I wish both the UK and US versions could somehow be crammed into one. Great album.

Posted by: stoned_in_dc ()
Date: July 5, 2006 19:25

i think the whole early period being overlooked has something to do with hot rocks' release in the US.. at some point after hot rocks was released american radio started to only play songs on hot rocks... (not all radio stations but many)..also people wanting to hear the stones seems to me just bought hot rocks which outsold all the early albums by a huge margin...

Posted by: 12X5 ()
Date: July 5, 2006 19:31

Some Girl Wrote:
> Mother's Little Helper is the song that made me
> stop and listen to the Stones for the first time.
> And in a way, so is PIB. I wish both the UK and US
> versions could somehow be crammed into one. Great
> album.

That's actually what SHOULD be done. ABKCO should combine both versions of Aftermath into one and maybe make some of the songs extra tracks. Just like they should combine Between the Buttons and Flowers into one album with some of those songs as extra tracks. It would really cut down on alot of confusion if they'd do it that way. It makes no sense for them to sell two versions of Aftermath, they are only hurting the consumer that way!

Posted by: curtisdavis ()
Date: July 5, 2006 19:33

I agree I think hot rocks shouldnt have been released ,,,,it would have made people search more and find great stuff

Posted by: nick ()
Date: July 5, 2006 20:28

curtisdavis Wrote:
> I agree I think hot rocks shouldnt have been
> released ,,,,it would have made people search more
> and find great stuff

Either that OR make it an out of print title. Same thing with Big Hits 1&2.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 5, 2006 22:02

Hi 12x5. I seriously doubt ABKCO would do something like that and risk losing potential CD sales! I bought both versions.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: July 5, 2006 23:36

I love Aftermath but it has to be UK version. Wasn't it the longest album then? (over 50 minutes when average records had 30-35 minutes). The whole A side is killer. Some songs on B side aren't that good but I still love Out of Time, High and Dry, I am Waiting, Take It or Leave It. But Stones seem to neglect it. Except for Under My Thumb they haven't played any song from it live since 1967 (UK version)!!!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2386
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home