Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones intrigue beyond their music
Posted by: Stones CPA ()
Date: November 14, 2009 16:33

I find the Stones to be full of intrigue, idiosyncracies, and contradictions beyond their music and performances.

What are some of your favorites - can't include anything music related?

Some of mine are:

1. Anything related to Charlie - especially his fondess for expensive automobiles that he doesn't drive.
2. The perception that all Stones appear to be relatively engaged fathers with relatively well behaved children.

Re: Stones intrigue beyond their music
Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 14, 2009 16:45

As a young teen...(other than the music)
I think it was that old saying "guys wanna be Mick and girls wanna be with Mick".
Like many...I also had a rock & roll fantasy to be with many women. winking smiley

Present day: the band has so much history (music & non music)!
I tend to like bands with a long history..makes them more interesting than to only
listen to the music.

I guess I respect the fact that they've been able to remain in rock & roll and
mature as human beings too. R&R was ONLY a young man's game until the Stones.

I'm most intrigued by what the future still might bring. Who's to say that
lightning won't strike and they'll produce another Sticky Fingers.
The audacity of hope. winking smiley

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: November 14, 2009 17:48

Their visual aesthetic is astonishing. No, I don't mean the giant cocks and fireworks of the shows but the fact each of the principals, including Jones when alive, have been incredibly inventive in dress and appearance, despite being, in truth, very average/plain looking guys. It hasn't always been pretty - that sports gear was not your best look, Mick, but it's always interesting and they remain, in my opinion three of the best dressed men in the world.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: November 14, 2009 23:10

the legend of keith richards (hard to tell at times what is truth or fiction)

charlie's fascination with the american civil war

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: November 15, 2009 00:12

Oh, a bunch of things...

-That Sir Mick, who is ever more conventionally English, had the longest r/ship with Jerry Hall, the daughter of a Texan trckdriver instead of an English aristocrat

-That Keith's kids seem so grounded and are making good choices with their careers, but Mick's girls, apart from Karis, seem so skanky, and have been involved in scandals

-That Keith's daughter Angela has had no public presence and married a carpenter

-That despite years of rumors and some pretty compromising pics of him with Bowie, no one ever seems to think of Mick as bi-sexual

-That Allen Klein was able to con them so thoroughly and get the rights to all their work done before 1971

-That none of the Stones' exes have remarried or formed lasting r/ships (I know Marianne did marry a few times.)

-That they are still seen by many of their fans as having artistic integrity, when it has been all about maximum money since Cohl arrived on the scene

-That despite their enormous wealth, they have little involvement with charity

-That although they could afford to be generous, they have ripped off numerous musicians with regard to songwriting credits and royalty payments

-That Keith didn't pay off Spanish Tony to not publish his scurrilous book

-That Mick and Keith still manage to work together despite the apparent huge disparity in their core values, tastes and habits

-That Ronnie is flat broke after being in the Stones since 1975

-That Ronnie abandoned his family for an undistinguished Russian cocktail waitress

-That
A. Mick could keep Carla Bruni on a string for 8 years while he was still married to Jerry, and
B. then not get together with Carla after his marriage to Jerry broke up

-That Bill was never prosecuted or even condemned for his r/ship with underage Mandy Smith, and it had no impact on the Stones

-That they are relatively little appreciated in the UK compared to other places

-That none of them seems to have had any cosmetic surgery or cosmetic dentistry, apart from Keith replacing his disintegrated teeth n 1974

-That fans go to multiple concerts knowing in advance that the same warhorses would be played

-That people tolerate Keith and/or Ronnie being drunk and/or stoned onstage

-That Keith's interviews are so often witty, insightful and penetrating, despite him clearly being stoned or drunk

-That Mick's solo work did relatively poorly

-That Mick is not as highly rated as he should be for his fantastic lyrics and incredible voice

-That Keith is alive and apparently well after a lifetime of abusing his body

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-15 00:15 by Bliss.

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 15, 2009 00:50

nope. it starts and stops with the music for me.

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: November 15, 2009 10:42

Bliss
Oh, a bunch of things...

-That Keith's kids seem so grounded and are making good choices with their careers, but Mick's girls, apart from Karis, seem so skanky, and have been involved in scandals

Keith's girls have made exactly the same career choices as Lizzie and Georgia - they are all, like their mothers, models. I don't get where one set are 'skanky' and one are not. If anything, the Jaggers are involved in rather higher end publications (certainly in Europe) than Theo.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 15, 2009 10:56

their intelligence ~ their spirit ~ their courage

"the energy they generate is amazing, and it gives everybody courage for years and years and years."
- Giorgio Gomelsky

>> very average/plain looking <<

... if such finely put-together men with such remarkable faces were "average-looking",
the world would be a more beautiful place for sure.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 15, 2009 11:17

Always dig the way they stay individual from the herd ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: November 15, 2009 11:41

That Mick Jagger has such presence and still struts around like a 20 year old.

Date: November 16, 2009 10:43

Oh, c'mon - you know it's not stopping with the music...Otherwise you'd be on the sofa with your eyes closed listening to their tunes and not clicking on this particular thread!

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: November 16, 2009 10:58

Wanton Witch of the Côte
Oh, c'mon - you know it's not stopping with the music...Otherwise you'd be on the sofa with your eyes closed listening to their tunes and not clicking on this particular thread!

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 16, 2009 14:14

Wanton Witch of the Côte

You are exactly right....and with a simple search we could probably find that StonesTod
has commented on a bunch of non-music posts. StonesTod thinks they're dreamy. winking smiley just kidding.
Most of StoneTod's posts..are, in fact, about the music.

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-16 14:33 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: November 16, 2009 14:41

Their 'we piss anywhere, don't give a fuxk attitude' has been inspiring in many an hour of need and in many different situations. 'Petty morals' - not for The Stones!

Posted by: Mean.Mr.Mustard ()
Date: November 16, 2009 15:16

It's only the MUSIC that counts...........

Mean Mr.Mustard

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: November 16, 2009 17:50

Mean.Mr.Mustard

yup. all the rest is either bogus, fluff or embarrassing...or some combination thereof.....

Posted by: From4tilLate ()
Date: November 17, 2009 00:59

T&A
Mean.Mr.Mustard

yup. all the rest is either bogus, fluff or embarrassing...or some combination thereof.....

no it's not.

Date: November 17, 2009 01:01

From4tilLate
T&A
Mean.Mr.Mustard

no it's not.

suffice to say that in the history that's written about this band long after we're all gone, there won't be any mention of anything besides the music

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: November 17, 2009 01:47

sweet neo con
As a young teen...(other than the music)
I think it was that old saying "guys wanna be Mick and girls wanna be with Mick".
Like many...I also had a rock & roll fantasy to be with many women. winking smiley

Present day: the band has so much history (music & non music)!
I tend to like bands with a long history..makes them more interesting than to only
listen to the music.

I guess I respect the fact that they've been able to remain in rock & roll and
mature as human beings too. R&R was ONLY a young man's game until the Stones.

I'm most intrigued by what the future still might bring. Who's to say that
lightning won't strike and they'll produce another Sticky Fingers.
The audacity of hope. winking smiley

Great post SNC, especially the last paragraph.

Mike

Date: November 17, 2009 02:43

T&A
From4tilLate
T&A
Mean.Mr.Mustard

no it's not.

suffice to say that in the history that's written about this band long after we're all gone, there won't be any mention of anything besides the music

the history's already been written to a great extent, and jagger's visual appeal and keith's wasted elegance are very much a part of that history.

you think we'd all be hanging out on this message board if the music were exactly the same, but the band were five dumpy-looking, prematurely-bald milquetoasts with clean records?

i think not.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: November 17, 2009 10:07

the stones are the perfect blend of legend and mythology , modern day greco roman gods you could say... um well more like the norse gods because they kick ass "musically" i belive a 100 yrs from now there will still be keith stories singers will still be ripping off mick's stage act teenage guitarists will be learning to play all the classic licks in their bedrooms and so on. it's true that some critics and non stones fans ridicule them because of their age but it's because of the old saying "don't know what you've got until it's gone" as generations pass people outside of stones fandom will realise how great of a band they were and they will be exalted above bands like led zepplelin, cream, and the who

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 17, 2009 15:13

or not

Date: November 17, 2009 19:50

From4tilLate
T&A
From4tilLate
T&A
Mean.Mr.Mustard

no it's not.

the history's already been written to a great extent, and jagger's visual appeal and keith's wasted elegance are very much a part of that history.

you think we'd all be hanging out on this message board if the music were exactly the same, but the band were five dumpy-looking, prematurely-bald milquetoasts with clean records?

i think not.

i don't know about "we all" but it wouldn't matter to me and others i'm sure. is the music somehow affected depending on what a musician looks like? that's a new one....

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 17, 2009 21:03

Bad attitude, clothing, hair, style on and off stage ......... did I mention bad attitude?

Oh yeah, the music is great too.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: November 18, 2009 00:32

Bliss' post is kinda mean, I think..especially mentioning little apparent involvement with charity; they gave a million bucks toward Katrina aid, there are other instances, helping various charities
I also would say there are many documented and likely as many or more undocumented examples of generosity on the Stones' part toward other musicians, Etta James comes to mind..

a lot of what you say is true but scratch a little deeper. You'll (hopefully) find decent people.

Date: November 18, 2009 05:40

T&A
[is the music somehow affected depending on what a musician looks like? that's a new one....

if that's a new one to you, you need to get out more.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: November 18, 2009 05:53

The sexual menace that oozed from the band in the 70's

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: November 18, 2009 06:18

Ha ha, just found another one!

>>Today, the official Stones website is pushing wine...again.
Urging all Stones fans to "Pop a Cork on the New Wine Revolution."

"The Rolling Stones are working closely with a group of passionate wine makers and die hard music fans..."

From Bliss, the Queen of Mean.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 18, 2009 06:58

The sexual menace that oozed from the band in the 70's

WOW!!!.....Wonder who got the job of wipin' that up ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: cirrhosis ()
Date: November 18, 2009 07:26

"As long as there's sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll." -Margaret Trudeau

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2589
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home