Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Ya Ya's - not as good as I hoped...
Posted by: kees ()
Date: November 17, 2009 18:36

It is better than nothing but still far behind what bands like Springsteen, Dylan, Young, AC/DC, Black Crowes, etc. etc. released

But reality is, that contrary to the Beatles releases, there is not much commercial interest in the Stones anymore (not mentioning their tours).

If they would really dive into their vaults seriously, they would only do it for the hard core fans. And I don't think Jagger and Co. (except probably for Ronnie) have any interest to move their asses for a non commercial project.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 17, 2009 18:43

kees
I there is not much commercial interest in the Stones anymore (not mentioning their tours).

well...they are one of only a handful of bands that can still play stadiums and their music has
been used in more and more tv commercials and major motion pictures...and everywhere you look
some 20-something celeb or kid at the mall is wearing a stones logo t-shirt etc.. etc... etc....

IORR............but I like it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-17 23:14 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: November 17, 2009 20:45

Does anyone remember the private screening of left over film from MSG with Albert Maysles, maybe a couple of years ago? For those who were lucky enought to get the chance to be there, there were some sort of restrictions on telling about it afterwards. Still I think the lenght of the film got revealed. Anyone remember? How does it compare to the Ya Ya's DVD?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 17, 2009 21:30

kees
It is better than nothing but still far behind what bands like Springsteen, Dylan, Young, AC/DC, Black Crowes, etc. etc. released

But reality is, that contrary to the Beatles releases, there is not much commercial interest in the Stones anymore (not mentioning their tours).

If they would really dive into their vaults seriously, they would only do it for the hard core fans. And I don't think Jagger and Co. (except probably for Ronnie) have any interest to move their asses for a non commercial project.

On the Springsteen fan boards, people are saying the same thing as the 'Darkness on the edge of town' reissue seems to have been delayed again.

These things are always geared towards hardcore fans. No artist should realistically expect to sell millions or even hundreds of thousands of copies of these projects. The Beatles and perhaps Led Zeppelin) are maybe an exception because they continue to have such a HUGE fanbase that the public thirst for anything they put out continues unabated (it also helps that neither band has existed for four and three decades respectively)

However, there are artists with much less commercial appeal than the Stones who come from the same era and who are not only still going but who also have no problems with issuing archive material as well as new material (Neil Young being an example)- the Stones have somewhat missed the boat in this decade by hardly doing either.

Their commercial stock may be at an all time low sales-wise (a situation not helped by the fact that the industry is in a slump in general), but sometimes the releases of archive projects can have a knock-on effect of giving their back catalogue a shot in the arm and reviving interest in them commercially. Certainly didnt do Bob Dylan's career and record sales any harm.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-18 01:34 by Gazza.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: November 17, 2009 23:02

Get Yer doesn´t have so bad sales. The box is in the amazon best sellers a good time. I think 30 or 40 days. It was in the first 20 more salles a little time ago. Of course the box doesn´t sale milions but Gazza is 100% correct. The box was release to hard core fans and not for general rock fans.
If you remember the Stones have 47 years of the road and a lot of cds, dvds, books and all kind of memorabilia are in the stores now, well the sales are good.
All days you have a new book, new dvd or new cd to buy. You never have all. It´s impossible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-17 23:33 by carlostones10.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: November 17, 2009 23:26

S.T.P
Does anyone remember the private screening of left over film from MSG with Albert Maysles, maybe a couple of years ago? For those who were lucky enought to get the chance to be there, there were some sort of restrictions on telling about it afterwards. Still I think the lenght of the film got revealed. Anyone remember? How does it compare to the Ya Ya's DVD?

Would love to hear more about this. After watching the DVD from Ya-Ya's, The Stones in '69 were magic.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 18, 2009 01:41

What I can't understand is why they bother with the re-releases at all if they are now willing to do them right? Why the exception for Exile (though believe me. I'm grateful)? Why not SF, GHS, IORR, etc. with the bonus tracks? Claudine, Criss Cross, Drift Away, etc. Proper liner notes putting the LP's into perspective? The Replacements and Elvis Costello reissues were great. Dylan has done a lot. Also The Beatles (even though they used up the bonus tracks on Anthology). I can't understand why the Stones hold their heritage in such low regard, unless of course Mick just can't be bothered.

Date: November 18, 2009 04:26

71Tele
What I can't understand is why they bother with the re-releases at all if they are now willing to do them right? Why the exception for Exile (though believe me. I'm grateful)? Why not SF, GHS, IORR, etc. with the bonus tracks? Claudine, Criss Cross, Drift Away, etc. Proper liner notes putting the LP's into perspective? The Replacements and Elvis Costello reissues were great. Dylan has done a lot. Also The Beatles (even though they used up the bonus tracks on Anthology). I can't understand why the Stones hold their heritage in such low regard, unless of course Mick just can't be bothered.

what an original post! (not)

let's wait and see what they do with the Deluxe Exile...

Personally I don't think they should just throw on a bunch unfinished
songs (that aren't anywhere near as good as the official releases).
It would sound way too disjointed. I'd be more in favor of alternate takes
of well-known songs, never before released (relevant) live material, non-album
b-sides (if there were any) and a couple finished songs that never made the album
but sound as though they could have. And a bonus dvd of live footage or interviews
would be nice. ;-)

Deluxe packages by other artists usually include the things I mentioned
above..and sometimes audio from tv appearances or radio shows....so
I think I'm being realistic.

The (ABKCO) "deluxe" boxed Ya-Ya's is a slightly different animal than a studio album.
Obvious upgrades are additional live tracks from same show...so, once we see
what the Stones do with Exile, we'll get a better idea of what to expect on future Deluxe Editions.

I'm sort of surprised no real info has leaked out yet...or has it (?)

Date: November 18, 2009 04:31

<< what an original post! (not) >>

Jeez, Neocon, a little harsh, perhaps? I have only recently joined so it's hard to be completely aware of the relative originality of my posts. How about this:

Why is their hair so long?

Is Mick the one with the big lips?

I will try to stay more original in the future. Cheers.

Date: November 18, 2009 04:40

71Tele
<< what an original post! (not) >>

Jeez, Neocon, a little harsh, perhaps? I have only recently joined so it's hard to be completely aware of the relative originality of my posts. How about this:

sorry...you're right. i didn't mean it to sound that harsh. apologies.

Date: November 18, 2009 04:44

Sweet Neo con: No problem at all...I was just having fun with you. I am quite sure I was the 842nd person to make that point about the Stones reissues. Thanks for your comment...J

Date: November 18, 2009 04:46

71Tele
Sweet Neo con: No problem at all...I was just having fun with you. I am quite sure I was the 842nd person to make that point about the Stones reissues. Thanks for your comment...J

sorry..i deserved it. i was just being a little snotty. no offense intended.
the fact is...my post (speculating on deluxe editions) was not original at all...either. smileys with beer

in fact...i want to start a thread about Exile...but i'm worried that I will be the 842nd person to make the same point.
i'll do a quick search before i do so. (re: the original album review by Rolling Stone magazine...quite interesting 37 yrs later)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-18 04:49 by sweet neo con.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: November 18, 2009 04:59

71Tele

Aw, I love seeing people kiss and make up! Seriously though, I agree with the gist of your original post 71Tele. I think Mick has shown he isn't terribly interested in their recorded legacy (he's said himself he doesn't care about 'nostalgia'). If that's his bag then fine, but as you said, the Elvis Costello and Replacements reissues were nothing sort of wonderful, and they served as wonderful ways to expand upon their legacies, which will serve them well when they're not recording new music anymore (we all have to stop one day!).

And anybody who has put any effort into collecting boots over the years knows that the Stones DO have some quality stuff in the vaults that has yet to see the light of day, and would make for some interesting reissues or expanded editions.

Date: November 18, 2009 05:11

Exactly right, Imposter...The Beatles had to scrape the bottom to fill out three cd's for Anthology (did we REALLY need a version of Eleanor Rigby without the vocals?) but the Stones have complete tracks such as Drift Away, Claudine, Criss Cross and others that we all know exist. At a certain point it becomes embarrassing that one of popular music's most important artists had such a poor historical legacy compared to their peers. I really think Jagger doesn't want to present a version of the band that might compare favorably with the more recent output.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: November 18, 2009 05:49

Yeah, the Beatles Anthology - while full of tasty stuff - could have just as easily been a really good 2 or 3 disc cd set, instead of 3 doubles. 'I Am the Walrus' without the strings? wow - truly mindblowing.

But yeah, there's unreleased Stones songs like the ones you mentioned that can stand shoulder to shoulder with some of their biggest singles. Hell, if nothing else, pull another Tattoo You and polish some off for a 'new' album. I'd love to hear 'You Got It Made' or 'Criss Cross Man' on a new record, even in re-recorded for they might work!

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: November 18, 2009 08:11

CousinC
As already mentioned, there is no more great material left!

Many of the filmed stuff has been lost or is ruined. Like many of the recorded tapes from 60/70's. Sad but true.

You sound pretty certain about this...where's your info coming from?

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: November 18, 2009 09:38

swiss
CousinC
As already mentioned, there is no more great material left!

Many of the filmed stuff has been lost or is ruined. Like many of the recorded tapes from 60/70's. Sad but true.

You sound pretty certain about this...where's your info coming from?

Ray Manzarek of the doors said that about their unreleased material about 20 yrs ago and i can't begin to count all the stuff that's been put out since then

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: November 18, 2009 12:00

My opinion about the new version of GYYYO is that it could've been much better (like all the recorded gigs released) BUT there could've also been a lot worse situation, like them deciding not to release this new version at all. Now we have at least some unreleased songs in our hands.

I still wish they'd (The Stones or ABKCO or whoever) release all the available soundboards and not let them collect dust inside the vaults. The Doors (a great band also) made a good move forward by releasing the NYC concerts.

Posted by: kees ()
Date: November 18, 2009 13:05

The Stones could release great re-issues / boxes etc. With finished songs and so called únfinished' songs.
Only look at the material on outtake bootlegs from the 77/79 period! Would love to have a Tattoo You Some Girls (with DVD PLEASE) box.

And yes, it would be only for the hard care fans. But so what, are they no worth it or so?

But it seems the Stones are only a money making machine, interested in touring with the same greatest hits over and over for all these 'tourist fans' and don't give a shit about the real fans.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: November 18, 2009 18:01

Ya Ya's- not as shipped as I hoped

Damn I hate that

Date: November 18, 2009 18:02

Hey, I have an idea! Why doesn't the Stones fanclub, instead of putting out wine and all kinds of garbage products, release selected live shows to their fans, starting with ones from the '69 tour, '72, '75, '78 and on? There is a real demand from hardcore fans (like us) and people would pay for the downloads. Then belonging to the fan club would have actual value.

Posted by: misterfrias ()
Date: November 18, 2009 18:13

I would also add the European Tour 1970, the UK "Farewell" Tour 1971, the Pacific Tour 1973 & the European Tour 1973.

Greetings from the Jersey Shore.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2101
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home