Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

im goin down
Posted by: klrkcr ()
Date: November 13, 2009 12:26

Hi folks, just putting the question out - as well as ather classics , who out there would like to hear the stones play im goin down on the next tour

Re: im goin down
Date: November 13, 2009 12:49

It might be a mick taylor song ,but its shit hot - it would be a perfect add to the seet and something different

Date: November 13, 2009 13:30

<It might be a mick taylor song ,but its shit hot>

He probably isn't even on it, At least according to timeisonourside.com:

Probable line-up:

Drums: Charlie Watts
Bass: Bill Plummer
Electric guitar: Keith Richards
Vocal: Mick Jagger
Congas: Rocky Dijon
Saxophone: Bobby Keys

Posted by: canadian.sway ()
Date: November 13, 2009 13:41

this song has always stood out to me as one that if it was reworked just a touch, it could have been a huge hit. the vocal melody at the chorus always haunts me.

can't picture them pulling this one out to dust off, but no harm in hoping.

Date: November 13, 2009 13:49

Zentgraf:

I’m Going Down’: MJ (voc) / KR (gtr) / MT (gtr) / BW (bass) / CW (dr)
STU (p) / Rocky Dijon (congas) / Bobby Keys (sax)

Date: November 14, 2009 12:07

Well its only my opinion, but what a way to celebrate 50 years of rock and roll, to themselves and for their fans - dust off some(even just a couple) of unreleased - but out on bootleg scorchers- wouldnt most diehard fans love to hear a few "surprises"for the next tour?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 14, 2009 12:44

DandelionPowderman
<It might be a mick taylor song ,but its shit hot>

He probably isn't even on it, At least according to timeisonourside.com:

Probable line-up:

Drums: Charlie Watts
Bass: Bill Plummer
Electric guitar: Keith Richards
Vocal: Mick Jagger
Congas: Rocky Dijon
Saxophone: Bobby Keys

Taylor plays bass, not guitar. Bill Plummer wasn't invited until early 1972.

Mathijs

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 21, 2009 12:25

This is a typical Keith's open-G riff. One of the best Stones riffs and a wonderful saxophone (?). If MT plays in it, i do not hear him.
This song, and the "i don't know why" from Metamorphosis should have been included in the let it bleed album (i don´t like country honk too much). And this secon song should be longer.
I like "family" too, wich i think is from beggars banquet time

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 21, 2009 12:30

KeithNacho
If MT plays in it, i do not hear him.
This song, and the "i don't know why" from Metamorphosis should have been included in the let it bleed album (i don´t like country honk too much).

For I'm Going Down: listen to the bass, that's Taylor. It's very remeniscent of Taylor's bass on Torn&Frayed.

I Don't Know Why is a nice song, but it's actually just an unfinished demo. They copied the first part of the song and spliced it after the break. All you hear after the silence is copied from the 2nd verse, including slide solo.

Mathijs

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 21, 2009 12:49

As far my opinion goes the band was so creative from 1968 to 1971, the peak being perhaps 1969, that many potential classics were lost in the process. As their relaesed stuff from JJF to EXILE shows, they had afford to do that.

I think "I'm Going Down" with its killer riff is one of those things they 'screwed up'. The version in METAMORPHOSIS is just a sketch for a song. For reason or other they didn't work it further. Others I think are things like "Potted Shrimp" and "Leather Jacket" (Mick and Keith should have've taken Taylor's idea and make a proper song out of it. By his own Taylor succeeded ruining a great guitar theme to a mediocre song. Another wasted opportunity.)

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-21 12:53 by Doxa.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: November 21, 2009 13:03

Jiving sister funny as well; cris cross man , gangster maul etc............
What i really miss is a "real rarities album". not that collection of old b-sides that was released some years ago.

Date: November 21, 2009 13:22

Totally agree KeithNacho- some great stuff hidden away -would make a fantastic album if ever released, or even throw a few in to the next set list. As mentioned before - no harm in hoping - long shot though it may be.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: November 21, 2009 13:24

i love the song but i doubt they'd ever do it live considering it's unfinished. jagger sounds like he's ad libbing the lyrics

Posted by: microvibe ()
Date: November 21, 2009 15:03

love the song.great keith rhtymn tone.smoking bass playing from m.taylor.also love the slide from m.taylor on i don't know why!

Date: November 21, 2009 15:44

KeithNacho
Jiving sister funny as well; cris cross man , gangster maul etc............
What i really miss is a "real rarities album". not that collection of old b-sides that was released some years ago.

Yeah, those too (and there are some other as well). In fact, they could have done after GOATS HEAD SOAP when, seemingly, their creativity seemed to go downhill, a TATTOO YOU type of album from the 1968-1972 material. At the time, say 1973-74 when Taylor was still along, and the band was still quite familiar with the material, it could have been possible to finish the tracks in a proper way. I bet that could have been a KILLER album.

I am afraid that nowadays those tracks - well, let's see what Deluxe EXILE contains - are a lost case. They were not finished and the time - that means they are not in an appropriate form to be released - and when they could have finished them is now gone long ago.

To put these thoughts further: I think they could do a TATTOO YOU type of album based on post-STEEL WHEELS material, that I think could easily do the 'trick' of TATTOO YOU again. There actually were rumours of that kind of thing few years ago.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-21 15:46 by Doxa.

Posted by: Fingers ()
Date: November 21, 2009 16:55

Mustique Blues Festival Basils Bar 2005

Happy to be here....Happy to be anywhere.....

[www.myspace.com]

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 21, 2009 17:03

.....I think we're talking about this version.........[popup.lala.com]

Date: November 21, 2009 17:27

Rip This
.....I think we're talking about this version.........[popup.lala.com]

a.k.a

- Doxa

Date: November 21, 2009 17:31

This is another good one, its 'cousin', I would say:

- Doxa

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: November 21, 2009 19:30

keith has covered the blues song i'm going down in concert as well. <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="

&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: November 21, 2009 20:39

There is what may be a rare recording: Mick Taylor at New George's in Marin County north of San Francisco Nov. 19, 1986. It was the period when Taylor was coming out of what I consider a dismal "poorman's bluesbreakers" period and finally playing some of his own music which audiences at the time knew and were asking for. In any event, that night the band played a smoking version of I'm Going Down (the Freddie King version). Guitar-wise it is one of the best versions I've ever heard. If you don't think Taylor can stay in the pocket and play nasty rockin blues, give this performance a listen.

This was a few weeks before his reunion with Keith in NYC.

The Stones' version? Catchy, but uninteresting. I do not think much is going on there.

Date: November 27, 2009 12:49

I must offer an apology - im not referring to the Freddie King song ( though Keith does a hot version 91/92- i actually meant the song on metamorphosis- great Keith open G riff - driving beat - great song, sorry fot any misunderstanding.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1525
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home