Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Have You Kept Every Album You Ever Bought?
Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: May 8, 2006 23:07

I have. Just looked at everyone. Wow! What was I thinking 30 years ago. But got some golden oldies. This Is The Modern World, The Jam. Crossing The Red Sea With The Adverts. And I hate to admit it, even a M.Jackson lp. Off The Wall. But one of my favs, Never mind The ----- (OK BV?) Here's the Sex Pistols. What a stunner.

Re: Have You Kept Every Album You Ever Bought?
Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: May 8, 2006 23:08

Are you talking actual LPs or are you using the word "album" to mean cds as well?

Posted by: Reptile ()
Date: May 8, 2006 23:09

Erm.. think so.. ofcourse there are those CD's you like to slide up and down a brick wall. But ofcourse I'm relatively young, and I wouldn't want to say goodbye to my precious vinyl's.

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: May 8, 2006 23:12

no.

Date: May 8, 2006 23:17

CindyC Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you talking actual LPs or are you using the
> word "album" to mean cds as well?

Anyone in my age group, it would be vinyl. So yes vinyl lp's. My friends daughter asked what does lp mean. I'm not that old am I?

Off course, it's MP3 now.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: May 8, 2006 23:19

Yes, Yes you are.

Well if we're talking LPs then yes, I still have all of them.

I have given some cd's away though as I had some crap stuff (that I didn't buy).

Date: May 8, 2006 23:23

Hey, that's an insult to my small but awesome vinyl collection. Loads of Stones, but also The Kinks, The Pointer Sisters(hey man, they swing, OK?!), Bruce Springsteen, The Animals, Johnny Winter, Black Sabbath(Paranoid!!), some soul stuff(Eddy Floyd), a Chuck Berry live album I think, but that one really sounds really bad, as do most Chuck Berry live records, and some more stuff. Eric Clapton's "There's One In Every Crowd", now there's a BAD album for you. No more pills for you Eric. If there would be one I'd dump, I'm guessing it would be that one.

Date: May 8, 2006 23:24

When I was learning the drums I bought a load of jazz funk stuff. Weather Report, Tony Thompson and Bill Bruford records. But one of the best produced lp's I ever heard is Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Welcome To The Pleasure Dome.

Crikey! I just found a Linda Clifford lp. Excuse me while I hang myself.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 8, 2006 23:54

I've worn out several copies of the older Stones albums but guard the ones I have left with my life.[Still a full set on vinyl with several copies of the real Classics].
I still buy the new releases on vinyl too...because it's better than CD.

Date: May 9, 2006 00:05

I agree. If you've got a decent stereo vinyl will sound more dynamic than CD's

Posted by: john r ()
Date: May 9, 2006 00:07

So much stuff I outgrew in my mid teens, then grownup I wanted some of it back.
Not "Chicago At Carnegie Hall" (lots & lots of trees had to be cut down to produce that behemoth, with its car sized posters of one of r & r's most charismatic bands & so forth). Almost picked up Grand Funk's "Survival" last week but they wanted $14.99 for it, and this copy didn't even come with the original pix-suitable-for-framing of Mark, Don, & Mel decked out in caveman drag), nor do I need Jethro Tull's "War Child", "Benefit" will suffice...But what the hell happened to my Bobby Womack/Gabor Szabo lp? I've never seen it anywhere except my collection, & now it's gone. Also I occasionally have a hankering to hear "Steppenwolf At Your Birthday Party" (underrated, and I want the Mickey Mouse gatefold w/ the group sitting in a burned out someplace inside. John Kay looks like a rodent). OK, who stole & sold Tom Verlaine's "Words From The Front"?

Date: May 9, 2006 00:11

jagger50 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree. If you've got a decent stereo vinyl will
> sound more dynamic than CD's

Definetly. I just got Undercover a few days ago, cleaned it with some alcohol and now it sounds a lot more dynamic then a CD would ever sound.

Posted by: midrambler ()
Date: May 9, 2006 00:20

Well I lost sveral LPs and someone stealed some cds but I keep many of them

Posted by: john r ()
Date: May 9, 2006 00:22

Beware of mid 80s Columbia/Sony vinyl reissues of Atlantic period stuff, the artwork is lacking (no zipper) and the pressings are blah, inferior to UK and US (& Jap.) originals ('dist. by Atco Records, a division of Atlantic...')

Posted by: winter ()
Date: May 9, 2006 00:25

i sold 75% of them when i moved away from home in the early '80's for living expenses $. i still have about 70 lps today, although DW is probably the only post-1985 one i have. there's probably 20 stones, 10 pink floyd, some boots, basic classic rock (gabriel, yes, dylan, crimson, zep, who), and a few oddities like the BW-produced tuckey buzzard and a michael anthony phillips (1st genesis guitarist) classical flavored lp.

i haven't listened to any of them for 20 years, but my parents are going to get rid of their turntable this year, so i'll get to check them out. hawaiian holiday (if i remember, a bizarre mislabeled patchwork of stones), europe '74 (a mislabeled brussels 73), the german import Around and Around, and a horribly warbly Floyd's The Wall boot await!! an 8-track tape of Jamming with Edward is also in the box. haha!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 9, 2006 00:28

Yes, I cleaned up my LP's back in the early 80ties, I still regret some Stones LP's, but they are still in the familie I hope, so maybe I check it someday.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: May 9, 2006 00:47

the only stones related product I have ever sold was Mick's Primitive Cool CD - pile of junk and just owning it bothered me.

Posted by: RollingStonesUSA ()
Date: May 9, 2006 01:02

I have all my vinyls and cd's all in one music room....I'm blasting Irom Maiden as we speak,lol

"It's Good To Be Here, It's Good To Be Anywhere"-Keith Richards

"Halloween Is Every Night Of My Life"-Keith Richards

"I Got The Sticky Fingers, For Some Girls"

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: May 9, 2006 01:28

As far as the Rolling Stones...Yes, even on their worst releases there are some diamonds in the dirt.

For everybody else no, especially since the advent of the mp3 player. Its just too easy to rip it and trade it in. In fact other than the Rolling Stones and a select few, I don't buy new CD's, I stick to the used ones 90% of the time.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 9, 2006 01:28

I've given away some really good Stones bootlegs to my ex-band-mates. Because I've upgraded to a slightly better source.... for instance Brussels 73, Philadelphia Special and Crushed Pearl.

Posted by: nick ()
Date: May 9, 2006 02:08

I only kept Some Girls. The rest I took into Greenwich Village in NY and traded them in a record shop for Stones CD's. The shop owner took full advantage and only offered me 4 CD's. As I was walking out I saw a Mick Jagger Let's Work CD single. I told him that since he made out so good he should let me have it. He looked at it and said "I'll never get rid of that shit disc, knock yourself out." Got outside, opened it up and it was the PROMO. Went to another shop and got 6 more Stones CD's for that. I was very happy.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 9, 2006 02:14

I also got the Let's Work promo for.....ONE euro.
But I knew the seller in that store, so I told him about it. He didn't want a penny more.
But I don't play it too often... :-)

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: May 9, 2006 02:20

I only wish I had. but, I have more LPS now, than I could ever have imagined in the day....hehehehehe. Anybody else got 4 variations of the 1st UK LP with the alternate Tell Me...? REALLY! I WANT TO KNOW!

JR

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: May 9, 2006 02:34

Yeah, I've still got several hundred vinyl albums, but not every one I bought. I sold some at yard sales and traded some in for others at second hand album stores. I regret selling some, but I don't miss most of them.

Some of the ones I have smell like mildew and the covers are tattered. Others have scratches on them. To this day there are some songs that I can't hear without expecting a skip on it, Sympathy For The Devil from Beggars being one of them. But I love them, scratches and all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-05-09 02:51 by Lukester.

Posted by: Jed Clever ()
Date: May 9, 2006 02:56

I've got probably about 1,000 L.P.s Pretty much studio stuff from the Stones, Beatles, Dylan, Neil Young, Hendrix, Who, the Band, Deep Purple, Steppenwolf, etc. plus Cash, Buck, Hank, etc. Didn't listen to them for years until I found my old Technics tutntable I bought a new stylus about 4 years ago. Now I spin wax all the time. To me, sounds much better than C.D.s

Posted by: TatteredTongue ()
Date: May 9, 2006 03:03

I've just become a fan in Jan-2005. So I'm starting my collection, which is going great. I got a record player for Christmas, and I'm now collecting Stones LPs from garage sails. I got Exile, 2 Ya-Ya's, 2 Beggars Banquet, Tattoo You, Let It Bleed, More Hot Rocks, Aftermath US.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 9, 2006 05:14

I wish I were kidding here but, no, I don't have every album I bought. The Partridge Family LPs went away around the late seventies and the Kiss records were used as frisbees in the early eighties! As for the Stones, I still have everything I've acquired on vinyl and I'm duplicating that on CD.

Posted by: keefstheman ()
Date: May 9, 2006 22:47

When i got my first CD player in '87 I figured the days of lp's were over,so guess what this smart guy did? He GAVE AWAY most ofd over 800 lp's dating from the early 60's to the mid 80's. What a knucklehead..... Only ones I kept were my original "Her majesties.., Sticky, Exile, and a few other special ones that I wopuldn't part with. I could kick myself now!

Date: May 9, 2006 22:52

I started also in 87 collecting CD's. But I can't resist vinyl. With all other formats and those yet to be invented, I believe vinyl will always be around. You can even buy record players for 78's. I wonder how much Stones records will be in 100 years? Mucho dinero!

Posted by: austrianstones ()
Date: May 9, 2006 22:54

and when i dig very deep, i will also find shakin`stevens.... but that was pre-stones period of course.

btw. first lp was "still life". i don`t know why i bought it, but since this album everything turned around the rolling stones, since about 24 years.

robert from austria

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1856
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home