Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
IT'S OFFICIAL: JAGGER'S SURPRISING Plans after STONES END
Posted by: MicksBrain ()
Date: April 27, 2006 04:58

As if the Charlie news wasn't bad enough this was in the New York Times today (Wed. 4/26/06) Front Page, The Arts section:

MICK JAGGER has signed on to an ABC (American Broadcasting Company) Sitcom (Situation Comedy) Pilot to begin airing this fall with a working title of "Let's Rob Mick Jagger". The writing team that came up with the idea are Rob Burnett (Executive Producer of the "David Letterman Show" and his partner, Jon Beckerman who was creator of an NBC comedy/drama called "ED")"Jagger read the script while the Stones were on tour in Japan and liked it very much. Mr. Jagger said he would be calling Mr Burnett directly on March 24th. Mr Jagger called at 2am and was very enthusiastic" He asked all the right questions, liked the answers he received, and agreed to join the show. The 2 men flew to New Zealand on April 17th to shoot the scenes with Mr. Jagger using a luxury hotel room in Auckland to stand in for a NYC penthouse. Mr. Barrnett said some of the funniest lines came from Mr. Jagger, "He's just a smart, funny guy."

Well, now we know what Mick's plans are after the tour ends (be it in England or Hawaii of this year). This is not a one show cameo. This is an on going character part that Mick would play throughout the 24 episode first season. Now we know why SWAY and AS TEARS GO BY are the only 2 100% new - never done live since 1967 - songs to be played - sounds to me like Mick's making after Stones plans and not focusing on the Stones and set lists like in the past. I wouldn't expect any new surprise in Europe - Come on, Mick's got a TV show to do. Sounds SAD....VERY SAD...

Re: IT'S OFFICIAL: JAGGER'S SURPRISING Plans after STONES END
Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: April 27, 2006 05:00

sad sad sad, in fact.

Date: April 27, 2006 05:04

Yeah Nikkibong, but this has more dignity then replacing Charlie, a TV sitcom...he WILL be the new Don Knotts.....Long live BARNEY.....

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: April 27, 2006 05:14

TV, thats where Eva Langoria's at

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: April 27, 2006 05:29

Sad? On the contrary, this should make certain un-named posters very happy. Guys like Mathijs have been wanting to kill-off the band since 1974.

For the Taylor freaks, you may end up having your fondest wish of EVERYONE living in the past and being as unhappy as you.

As for me-- yeah, SOME history is cool, but IF the big tours end in December, that does NOT mean the end of history, however desperate some of you may want it to be.

All things must pass -- deal with it.

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: April 27, 2006 05:52

So he's signed for a season. Typically, it's about three years between Stones tours anyway. This does NOT mean the end of the group. It's like everybody has been in a big "end of the Stones" panic lately, or they just enjoy the frenzy. Get a grip.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 27, 2006 06:19

ROCKMAN

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: April 27, 2006 06:26

this post has been on this site in 7 forms now. Jesus nikkibong, give him grief like you gave me!

Posted by: nikkibong ()
Date: April 27, 2006 07:53

::grief being given::

Posted by: RollingStonesRob ()
Date: April 27, 2006 07:58

The Stones will probably find another drummer to tour with.

Mick Jagger Joins a New ABC Sitcom
Posted by: triplelicks ()
Date: April 27, 2006 08:09

From the New York Times article -

"If ABC does order the series, Mr. Jagger is expected to appear regularly, though not in every episode. "We'll work around his schedule," Mr. Burnett said."

I think Mick can handle both a tour and some small parts in a TV show. He's been involved in multiple projects for decades now, all of which didn't come to a standstill when he toured. And the producer of the show seems willing to work with Mick's other commitments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-27 08:22 by triplelicks.

Posted by: Ron Wood ()
Date: April 27, 2006 08:18

it's ok - i'm gonna host a late nite talk show called "drinkin' with ronnie wood,"

Posted by: PhilLesh ()
Date: April 27, 2006 08:34

Ron - drinking is no laughing matter. I've been sober for 2 decades and there's nothing so fine.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 27, 2006 08:43

One must also remember that the vast majority of sitcom pilots rarely make it past the first several episodes.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 27, 2006 09:20

PhilLesh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ron - drinking is no laughing matter. I've been
> sober for 2 decades and there's nothing so fine.

Thats a brat pack we got here.
Keith the Crooner with a smokin' Scotch in his pirate hand, smoke in the other... (next moment a Stoli in his hook)...
Ronnie the Dave Allen-chickadee-jokes-cracker or Occasional Sketch painter
Charlie the League influenced with connections deep underneath
the "West End" 's innocent surface
Mick the Crazy Walks- and upper claws imitator

...Imagine the guest stars... Wyman; Ringo; Mick "Benny Hill" Taylor.
(Sorry. Couldnt resist.)

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: April 27, 2006 10:14

I think we can safely predict that Setlist Haters will write ABC each week to complain that most key scenes and dialog were just like those from the week before.

Hey! Hey! You got me watchin'!

... When I'm watchin' my TV, and the Mick comes on to tell me

How white my shirts can be ...

But he can't be a man cause he doesn't hate

The same setlist as me ...

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 27, 2006 10:19

worth repeating:

>> From the New York Times article: "If ABC does order the series, Mr. Jagger is expected to appear regularly,
though not in every episode. "We'll work around his schedule," Mr. Burnett said."

that article also said his involvement would not be long-term,
and that the program's title (if the project goes anywhere) is not going to be Let's Rob Mick Jagger.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 27, 2006 11:23

bassplayer617 Wrote:
> Sad? On the contrary, this should make certain
> un-named posters very happy. Guys like Mathijs
> have been wanting to kill-off the band since 1974.
>
>
> For the Taylor freaks, you may end up having your
> fondest wish of EVERYONE living in the past and
> being as unhappy as you.
>
> As for me-- yeah, SOME history is cool, but IF the
> big tours end in December, that does NOT mean the
> end of history, however desperate some of you may
> want it to be.
>
> All things must pass -- deal with it.

Well, it looks like that Keith needs to find both a new singer and a new drummer for the next tour...or perhaps Chuck could play these parts also as he already covers Keith and Ronnie's ass. But who cares, it's The Rolling Stones, and me and my checkbook are so thrilled! I hope they never stop!!! smiling smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Debra ()
Date: April 27, 2006 15:11

Give it a REST! Triplelicks is absolutely right, Mick loves juggling multiple projects and I think it's a great thing! It means he will remain active and vital and the creative juices will be flowing! No threat to the Stones at all, just something new to keep Mick jazzed!

Posted by: turd ()
Date: April 27, 2006 15:48

Mick should join Bills Rhythm Kings after the tour, they need a good vocalist - maybe he could persuade Keith and Charlie to join too.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 27, 2006 16:28

I hate these posts that has the words "IT'S OFFICIAL" in the header. Like IORR is some kind of tabloid press.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: April 27, 2006 16:33

Debra, I have to SO disagree with you. I live in Los Angeles part time, my Girlfriend's sister works in TV production. Do you know how long it takes to shoot a 30 minute sitcom? Maybe some people that don't understand the behind the scenes working of the TV industry don't get how major this is. This WHOLE show is built around Jagger - that's the draw, that's the name. If this pilot does take off it will be Because of Jagger. Someone said above about how so many pilots don't get anywhere. True, but 99% don't have a giant NAME attached to them like Jaggers. There's NO WAY he could continue to tour and do this also. Yeah, NO THREAT to the Stones at all because there WILL BE NO STONES ANYMORE.

They do these big tours to make big money. I heard Jagger do a big long interview on the business side of these monster STONES tours, they're called "VIRTUAL CORPORATIONS" in business terms. Jagger went to the London School of Economics - he knows all about this stuff. To tour on a very limited bases as Charlie wants to is not a big money making operation - what would be the point? You think their #1 objective for touring now a days is to entertain people?

Mick's a moving on type person. If Charlie's gonna set up rules that will cut down on making big money that's it for this band. I know that pops everybody's FAIRY TALE bubble but that's the facts these days - if you can't see the move away from the Stones at this point by Mick then I don't know what to tell you - get in touch with REALITY.

Charlie's an old 65 (very soon) Cancer survivor that wants to take it easy for a change. Mick doesn't but won't be in the Stones if Charlie's not so end of story. You don't commit to a 24 episode TV series if you plan to do another album and tour.If the show is a big success it could ALMOST engulf Jagger's schedule - no time for music, Stones or Solo. Sorry, all good things come to and end. This ain't sounding to good as far as more Stones projects go.....That's the way I see it and I know a bit about these things....EVERYTHING depends on the success of this TV Sitcom... IF It Fly Fly's, say Bye Bye's to the RS's as you know them in their present state......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2006-04-27 16:38 by MicksBrain.

Date: April 27, 2006 16:38

MicksBrain ... don't you want to read the fuller article about the show?

Mick Jagger Joins a New ABC Sitcom

By BILL CARTER
Published: April 26, 2006
Trying to conjure some way to make a new television series stand out, show creators sometimes come up with pie-in-the-sky notions, like getting Jerry Seinfeld to come back and star in a sitcom, or inducing Vince Vaughn to quit movies.

But Mick Jagger?

By far the most unlikely star of a prospective fall situation comedy is that still-active lead singer of the Rolling Stones, who has signed on to an ABC pilot for its fall schedule. Just to increase the degree of unlikelihood, Mr. Jagger shot his scenes for the New York-based pilot in a hotel room in Auckland, New Zealand, last week.

That was the culmination of a saga at least as whimsical as the premise of the show, which, for now, anyway, is titled "Let's Rob Mick Jagger."

The writing team that came up with the idea, Rob Burnett, long David Letterman's executive producer, and his partner, Jon Beckerman, had previously created the NBC comedy-drama "Ed." As Mr. Burnett outlined the tale in a telephone interview, he and Mr. Beckerman "wondered if there was a way do a serialized comedy — something like a comedy version of 'Lost' or '24.' "

Hatched in numerous meetings, the concept centered on a janitor for a prominent New York building, to be played by the character actor Donal Logue. Down on his luck, the janitor sees a celebrity on television wallowing in his wealth during a tour of his new Manhattan penthouse. Enlisting a crew of similar ordinary but frustrated accomplices, the janitor conceives a plot to rob the big shot's apartment, a story line that would unfold over a 24-episode television season.

Mr. Burnett said that the series would track the plotting of the robbers, who would eventually ingratiate themselves with the apartment's glamorous owner. That would entail actually seeing the real-life celebrity interact on occasion with the fictional thieves.

The question was: Who could the celebrity be? "We didn't want it to be too on the nose, like Tom Cruise," Mr. Burnett said. "Not that he would have done it anyway."

The creators decided that they had to have the name before they could pitch the series effectively to network programmers. Finally they came up with it: "Jeff Goldblum seemed silly, just right," Mr. Burnett said. Not that the writers bothered to inform Mr. Goldblum that he had been selected by their imaginations. "He was just the place holder," Mr. Burnett said. Until a network committed to this goofy idea, the creators were not going to write a script to be sent to Mr. Goldblum to test his interest.

They just wanted to pitch his name. If a deal was made, they would write in Mr. Goldblum. If he declined to sign on, Mr. Burnett said, "we'd just rewrite it with another celebrity."

Not at all sure what reaction they would get, Mr. Burnett and Mr. Beckerman journeyed to Los Angeles from New York, accompanied by Mr. Logue, and met with the four major networks.

"We realized that we would know where we stood about one second into the meeting," Mr. Burnett said. "As soon as we said 'Let's Rob Jeff Goldblum,' we'd know. And we did. They all laughed."

Every network made an offer, but Fox and ABC went the extra mile, committing not just to a script, but to also guaranteeing that a pilot would be shot. Mr. Burnett said that he was impressed with Peter Liguori at Fox and Stephen McPherson at ABC, the top program executives at those networks. Eventually they chose ABC.

A script was written and a supporting cast secured, all except the guy with his name in the title. Mr. Goldblum was intrigued, Mr. Burnett said, but he had already committed to a pilot at NBC. With time running short — all the auditioning actors were still talking about knocking over Jeff Goldblum's place — the producers pondered a list of famous names, seeking one that might catch the nation's fancy and their own.

Finally Mr. McPherson threw out a name no one had considered: Mick Jagger. It was far-fetched, but the writing team loved the idea. They were more excited when Mr. Jagger's representatives sent word they enjoyed the script and would run it by the singer.

"We were thrilled, but we still didn't think it was real," Mr. Burnett said. The pilot was shot, with the celebrity's scenes left out, but with the other characters using Mr. Jagger's name as their target.

Finally Mr. Burnett got word that Mr. Jagger, then on tour with the Stones in Japan, had read the script himself and liked it very much. He would be calling Mr. Burnett directly on March 24. "I was a little scared to leave the house," Mr. Burnett said.

Mr. Jagger called at 2 a.m. "He was enthusiastic," Mr. Burnett said. "He asked all the right questions. How was the series going to build? Could the idea sustain? He seemed like a guy who cared a great deal about the quality of work he gets involved with."

The answers satisfied Mr. Jagger. He agreed to join the pilot. The only trouble was he would be halfway around the world for weeks. Mr. McPherson at ABC pressed to get the pilot completed with enough time for ABC to give it full consideration for its fall schedule.

Mr. Burnett and Mr. Beckerman flew to New Zealand on April 17. They first had to find a location that might pass as a Manhattan apartment, then hire a film crew. Finally they had to direct Mr. Jagger in his American sitcom debut.

A luxury hotel in Auckland stood in for the penthouse. The crew was professional. As for Mr. Jagger, he threw himself enthusiastically into the project, Mr. Burnett said. "He did a lot of ad-libbing. Some of the funniest stuff in the pilot came from him. He's just a smart, funny guy."

He is also now a star of an ABC pilot for the fall 2006 television season. Mr. Burnett, not wanting to jinx what has been a charmed project so far, said, "We just hope to be one of the ones they pick up."

If ABC does order the series, Mr. Jagger is expected to appear regularly, though not in every episode. "We'll work around his schedule," Mr. Burnett said. Not much has been worked out as to how successful the band of thieves might be in their heist, and like the serialized shows that inspired this one, a big question remains about how the series will continue after its first season.

Most likely Mr. Jagger's participation will end, one reason the title will almost surely not end up "Let's Rob Mick Jagger."
Mr. Burnett said the first season of the prospective series might culminate in a twist that sets up a second season. "They could come up with a different scheme," Mr. Burnett said, referencing the many get-rich schemes of Ralph Kramden in "The Honeymooners."

Or "they could just rob someone else completely different," he said. "How about: 'Let's Rob Tiger Woods' ? "

Date: April 27, 2006 16:45

JumpingKentFlash Wrote:
> I hate these posts that has the words "IT'S
> OFFICIAL" in the header. Like IORR is some kind of
> tabloid press.

I put that there because I got it straight out of one the the best newspapers in the world...what would you like me to change it to Kenty? (better yet, dig up your own Stones news stories and post them...eh?) You know, I hate when people put up little pictures in the corner of their comments page (except for ROCKMAN and POTTED SHRIMP) like IORR is some kind of picture gallery...MY GOD !!!

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: April 27, 2006 16:51

Thank you, with sssoul. Not to knock your enthusiasm, MicksBrain, but this very topic, and the points that with sssoul made, have already been discussed in previous threads and it seemed, in my opinion, that the people responding concluded that this is not a nail in the Stones coffin.

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: April 27, 2006 16:54

It's just a sitcom. Mick can manage to balance everything, give him some credit. He ahsn't managed to stay around this long without good good business sense and talent.

Date: April 27, 2006 17:05

Yeah, I read the whole article, my GF brought the paper home. You guys, use your logic, Mick is not getting involved in this just to fart around. He wants it to succeed, and if it does succeed it's gonna take up plenty of his time (and they'll keep him on for more than one season, believe me). The Point is is that even by being willing to do these kinds of side projects it shows that he's positioning himself to move ahead without the Stones - not WITHOUT MUSIC - just without the Stones. If I had a friend that was ordering booklets and DVD's on different cities and what it's like to live there and build a house there I would ASSUME he's ready to MOVE ON, it's simple..... Mick pulled out of German Director's Werner Herzog's Film, FITZCARALDO, that was already over 50% finished shooting in Peru in 1980/81 cause he had to go rehearse and get ready for the 1981 tour and the film was way behind schedule (see the Documentary "Burden of Dreams" for the only know footage of Mick's part in this film). This time, due to Charlie, he'll be pulling out of the Stones to do a TV sitcom. Same moves, different reasons......seems pretty simple and logical to me (but maybe I'm retarded)....

Re: Jagger's Plans
Date: April 27, 2006 17:11

... where does it say he'll be pulling out of the Stones to do a sitcom, and not vice versa? just curious.

Posted by: Some Girl ()
Date: April 27, 2006 17:11

I don't see how a sitcom is any more a nail in the coffin than a solo album. It takes less time too. They are obviously gonna stop this huge world tour EVENTUALLY. What happens after doesn't mean The End of Stones Forever. Maybe it does but at this point everything is dubious. And first of all, DGA35 said already, before this thing succeeds, it has to be picked up.

Date: April 27, 2006 17:17

Just to add, of course I KNOW he's had side projects in the past. A few years ago he produced the "Enigma" film but producing is much different then acting. You gotta be THERE for acting, you can be a producer living in Namibia with Brad and Angelina if you have a Cell Phone, Computer, and Fax...you can Produce from the North Pole, from a concert tour.... Anybody wanna put some Euro's on it?....

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2074
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home