Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Guitars on Exile
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 2, 2009 02:25

Anyone know which guitars/amps were used for the Nellcote sessions for Exile, particularly songs like Rocks Off? There's a bit of rehearsal footage of Shake Your Hips and Tumbling Dice, but not sure if that was done before or after those sessions. What guitar did MJ use on Stop Breaking Down? How about Taylor's guitars?

Re: Guitars on Exile
Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: November 2, 2009 03:55

Good question that. The guitars used on the Exile sessions are fairly well documented in the photos taken by Dominic Tarle (Exile) but I don't know for sure which guitars were used on which songs. Also does anyone recall when in the sessions that Great Nellcote Robbery occurred and whcih guitars where brought in as replacements?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-02 05:14 by ChrisM.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 2, 2009 05:02

Some shots here ......[www.iorr.org]

ROCKMAN

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: November 2, 2009 05:31

Ah thanks Terry. My link to the same thread got muddled in the verbiage.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 2, 2009 05:50

........arrrrr whoops didn't notice you'd slipped it in there chris....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 2, 2009 07:30

>> There's a bit of rehearsal footage of Shake Your Hips and Tumbling Dice, but not sure if that was done before or after those sessions <<

the Montreux rehearsals were filmed in May 72, just after the album was released.

Date: November 2, 2009 07:49

Thanks with sssoul...was that footage of them singing to an apparently pre-recorded track of Loving Cup also from Montreux?

Date: November 2, 2009 07:58

yep ... the Montreux rehearsals also include some nice jams, and are in pretty wide circulation -
i'm sure someone in the Hot Stuff forum can help you get ahold of them: [www.iorr.org]
meanwhile, here's a great site where you can look up stuff like that: [www.nzentgraf.de]
under 1972 we find:

1972 18th May: Montreux, Switzerland, Rialto Theater. Rehearsals for the upcoming US-tour. Incl.
- Shake Your Hips (James Moore)
- Bluesberry Jam ( ) -STU on piano
- John's Jam ( )
- Tumbling Dice 1 (MJ/KR)
- Tumbling Dice 2 (MJ/KR)
- Loving Cup (MJ/KR) -playback with live vocals
+ The Rolling Stones receive a gold award for Sticky Fingers
Note: Filmed by German Radio Bremen TV for Beat Club

the footage was shown on The Old Grey Whistle Test.

Date: November 2, 2009 08:14

>>1972 18th May: Montreux, Switzerland, Rialto Theater. Rehearsals for the upcoming US-tour. Incl.
- Shake Your Hips (James Moore)
- Bluesberry Jam ( ) -STU on piano
- John's Jam ( )
- Tumbling Dice 1 (MJ/KR)
- Tumbling Dice 2 (MJ/KR)
- Loving Cup (MJ/KR) -playback with live vocals
+ The Rolling Stones receive a gold award for Sticky Fingers
Note: Filmed by German Radio Bremen TV for Beat Club>>

Thanks for this!

Posted by: MonkeyTrain ()
Date: November 2, 2009 17:48

I met Taylor last year and asked him specifically about Stop Breaking Down. He said he used a Tele and recalls MJ playing the 355.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: November 2, 2009 17:49

Keith overdubbed a Telecaster part on "Rocks Off"

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: November 4, 2009 21:51

MonkeyTrain
I met Taylor last year and asked him specifically about Stop Breaking Down. He said he used a Tele and recalls MJ playing the 355.

That's the problem with drugs using rock stars -you can't trust their memories! Jagger is in open G, so very unlikely he used the 355, and his sound is much more that of a Les Paul. There's various pictures of Taylor on Tele with a capo on 2nd fret and Jagger on the Bigsby LP, taken at Olympics, 1970 when SBD was recorded.

Concerning Exile: one has to take into account that there's just very little recorded in Nellcote that has ended up on Exile -it's mostly 1969 to 1970 Olympics and Stargroves and 1972 Sunset Sound. In 1970 it was mostly SG and 355 for Taylor and Dan Armstrong and LP Custom for Keith, in 1972 it was LP and 355 for Taylor and Tele, 355 and LP for Keith. Amps is mostly Fender (Deluxe, Twin) and Ampeg SVT and V2/V4/VT40 and Gemini.

Mathijs

Posted by: RockinBud ()
Date: November 4, 2009 22:46

based on pics Ive seen, SG,335(or variant), Dan Armstrong,tele, LP, Flying V, agree with Mathijs that most of the songs were in the can from Bleed/Sticky Fingers London sessions..
btw, Im the new kid on the block so ....
please allow me introduce myself..
Ive seen TRS every tour since 65 numerous times/tour also was at MSG for Ya Yas both nites in 11-69, was at Sullivan show 2x for "Lets Spend Some Time Together"
and Paint It Black,,was at Shindig show in Brooklyn in 65, saw band w BJ @ 6 times, I met KR last spring at Bernard Fowler gig in NYC, spoke w CW, Daryl, met RW several times at POP gallery in nYC and own 3 of his pieces, have spent a # of occasions w Tim Reis, sax player...had breakfast w Blondie and strolled thru Copenhagen summer of 07 when band played there and stayed in same hotel
just picked up 40th anniv Ya Yas cd/dvd pack yesterday..ah to be young again...
RockinBud

Posted by: MonkeyTrain ()
Date: November 5, 2009 02:18

Mathijs
That's the problem with drugs using rock stars -you can't trust their memories! Jagger is in open G, so very unlikely he used the 355, and his sound is much more that of a Les Paul. There's various pictures of Taylor on Tele with a capo on 2nd fret and Jagger on the Bigsby LP, taken at Olympics, 1970 when SBD was recorded.

Concerning Exile: one has to take into account that there's just very little recorded in Nellcote that has ended up on Exile -it's mostly 1969 to 1970 Olympics and Stargroves and 1972 Sunset Sound. In 1970 it was mostly SG and 355 for Taylor and Dan Armstrong and LP Custom for Keith, in 1972 it was LP and 355 for Taylor and Tele, 355 and LP for Keith. Amps is mostly Fender (Deluxe, Twin) and Ampeg SVT and V2/V4/VT40 and Gemini.

Mathijs

Are you saying these guys can't accurately remember what guitar they and others were playing on a blues throwaway they recorded over an 18 month period nearly 40 years ago? drinking smiley

Since SBD was played/recorded at Olympic and Stargroves in '70 and at Sunset Sound in '71, who knows what version and guitar configuration MT remembers - if at all. I'll pin him down on it the next time I see him.

Well, whatever the Micks are playing, they sure sound good. MJ's tone is killer. Someone play it for Keith, quick!

Also, don't know that I've seen the pics of Taylor at Olympic in '70. Anyone know where I can find them?

Date: November 5, 2009 04:22

Begs the question: Why is so Keith always so down on MJ's electric guitar playing. I thought Stop Breaking Down was Keith for years. Jagger's tone and rhythm are downright nasty. Ditto for Sway, and I love his choppy stuff on Some Girls.

Date: November 5, 2009 08:48

>> Why is so Keith always so down on MJ's electric guitar playing. <<

he isn't anymore. he started complimenting his playing circa Steel Wheels.

Date: November 5, 2009 10:40

I think Keith often has complained about Jagger's live-playing, not in the studio.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: November 5, 2009 13:39

RockinBud

please allow me introduce myself..
Ive seen TRS every tour since 65 numerous times/tour also was at MSG for Ya Yas both nites in 11-69, was at Sullivan show 2x for "Lets Spend Some Time Together"
and Paint It Black,,was at Shindig show in Brooklyn in 65, saw band w BJ @ 6 times, I met KR last spring at Bernard Fowler gig in NYC, spoke w CW, Daryl, met RW several times at POP gallery in nYC and own 3 of his pieces, have spent a # of occasions w Tim Reis, sax player...had breakfast w Blondie and strolled thru Copenhagen summer of 07 when band played there and stayed in same hotel
just picked up 40th anniv Ya Yas cd/dvd pack yesterday..ah to be young again...
RockinBud

You are welcome, and quite an impressive pedigree!!

C

Posted by: RockinBud ()
Date: November 5, 2009 15:04

Thanks liddas, I've been sittin & thinkin bout this stuff for years and knew all along that I could not be alone....btw I forgot to mention I was at MSG 7-72 & 75 also..eagerly anticipating EXILE rerelease..
its good to be in NY
Hey , Its good to be anywhere...
RB
www.myspace.com/rockinbuds

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1092
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home