Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

73 Missing Live Album
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 31, 2009 00:21

I'm new, so forgive me if this topic has been done to death before...I think the band was in top form during the '73 tour of Europe and sounds completely different from the '72 version or anything that came after it. My question: Did the Stones ever plan on formally releasing a live album, and was it blocked by Klein/ABCKO issues...and does anyone thinks there are prosepcts for them to release it in the future? My view has always been that Jagger does not like to put out something that might favor well in comparison to the current product, hence the lack of "extras" on the re-releases (here's hoping for "Exile"!)

Re: 73 Missing Live Album
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 31, 2009 00:27

>> was it blocked by Klein/ABKCO issues <<

Mathijs Gazza (thanks shortfatfanny & sorry Gazza) noted in your El Mocambo thread that the settlement with Klein
included a proviso that they couldn't release any concert versions of ABKCO-owned tracks until 1977

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-31 10:09 by with sssoul.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: October 31, 2009 01:01

with sssoul

Mathijs noted in your El Mocambo thread that the settlement with Klein
included a proviso that they couldn't release any concert versions of ABKCO-owned tracks until 1977
One wonders then what has stopped them from doing so after 1977. Perhaps as 71Tele stated, it was because Mick did not favor putting something out that would outshine current releases. The Stones contemporaries have left them in the dust as far as this goes though.

71Tele, do you have Brussels Affair? This is as likely, for the moment at least, the best live concert you are likely to hear from the 73 tour. It is a must have for any Stones enthusiast and generally available in excellent sound quality.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 31, 2009 01:22

ChrisM
One wonders then what has stopped them from doing so after 1977. Perhaps as 71Tele stated, it was because Mick did not favor putting something out that would outshine current releases. The Stones contemporaries have left them in the dust as far as this goes though.

Jagger commented various times in 77 and 78 that he wished to release some recordings from 72 and 73 (he mentioned Angie from Brussels and Brussels in general specifically), but that it would be strange as that was with "the other guitarist".

Mathijs

Date: October 31, 2009 01:23

71Tele, do you have Brussels Affair? This is as likely, for the moment at least, the best live concert you are likely to hear from the 73 tour. It is a must have for any Stones enthusiast and generally available in excellent sound quality.

ChrisM, I have "Headed For An Overload" which I think is the same as Brussels Affair - soundboard recordings. It is what they used for the King Biscuit Flower Hour radio broadcast. Back in the vinyl boot days I had another great show from that tour, but can't remember which one. Love the electric version of Angie, Gimme Shelter, even Dancing With Mr. D crackles...plus, you can really hear Bill. I don't think the band has ever played better.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 31, 2009 01:53

with sssoul

In all fairness,with sssoul,Gazza pointed out to the legal issues you mention above
in this LYL/El Mocambo thread.
[www.iorr.org]

On the other hand Gazza will survive and I remember Mathijs recently referred
in another thread exactly to this point......so what.

smileys with beer

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: October 31, 2009 01:58

71Tele, you must seek out the "Nasty Music 24-bit Remaster" and "The Definitive Brussels" for the best quality recordings of these legendary shows from Brussels & Wembley. "Definitive Brussels" is available as a download in the "Hot Stuff" forum, posted by Urban Steel.

Date: October 31, 2009 02:59

Thanks, bassplayer617! You see, this is why I joined this site. I have been a lonely Stones obsessive for 35 years. Now I have company.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 31, 2009 03:14

Bassplayer is incorrect here - "The Definitive Brussels" is a lousy product; missing portions of the talking in-between-tracks; etc
Better get the 5th edition of "Europe 73" (VGP) AND also Nasty Music/Nasty Remixes (either VGP or the vinyl "Nasty Music" or "A Tour De Force")
You'll still miss some SBD tracks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-31 20:43 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: October 31, 2009 13:08

In the Amsterdam 73 press conference (which circulates on lots of 'official' CDs) Jagger says he wants to release a live album and mentions YCAGWYW as being very different live.

Date: October 31, 2009 14:01

They are just losing money not trying to overcome ANY legal obstacle that stops them from releasing product from the era that just justified the "greatest rock´n´roll band" hype.
I hope one day they just realize it and do it. It will sell. Very much. Reviews will be of people drooling. Specially from those who, unlike us, don´t know these stuff yet.
See the younger generation currently discovering the 4 Fab stuff. The Stones deserve it, I hope one day they realize that they must do it.
And the indu$try will like it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-31 14:03 by Gibson Fender-Nanker.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: October 31, 2009 14:52

the stones should do something simular as what the doors started awhile back.[brightmidnightarchives.com]
a website where you can buy
special releases of live material.

Description:
Bright Midnight Records, a label formed by The Doors Music Company intended to make available from The Doors' archives almost thirty hours of mostly live, unreleased material as well as some rare studio-recorded gems

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 31, 2009 15:54

shortfatfanny
with sssoul

In all fairness,with sssoul,Gazza pointed out to the legal issues you mention above
in this LYL/El Mocambo thread.
[www.iorr.org]

On the other hand Gazza will survive and I remember Mathijs recently referred
in another thread exactly to this point......so what.

smileys with beer

Gazza? Who the fvk is Gazza?

[www.iorr.org]

Mathijs

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: November 1, 2009 13:30

Mathijs
Gazza? Who the fvk is Gazza?

so true...

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: November 1, 2009 14:05

Just to segway slightly to a question I have about the Brussels 73 recordings, I downloaded a lossless torrent from thetradersden a few years ago titled The Definitive Brussels Affair. This title is often listed as being the best available, however @#$%& at the end of CD1 and several other tracks on CD2 are clearly not of the same audio quality as the rest of CD1. Is this the same as everyone else's copies of The Definitive Brussels Affair?

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: November 1, 2009 14:19

just wondering.....since parts of Brussels '73 was officially released to the public (sort of) via the
KING BISCUIT RADIO SHOW.......who signed off on that? Abkco or the Stones or????

if it was the Stones (& NOT Abkco)...could this have been their way of dodging Allen Klein?

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 2, 2009 02:54

It has been stated that the original intention of what eventually became the album It's Only Rock'N'Roll that side 1 was to be live tracks from the 1973 tour and side 2 to be studio recorded covers, of which Drift Away was recorded as well as something else, I think it was Mercy Mercy Mercy maybe? And who knows what else but we do know the only one to be released was Ain't Too Proud To Beg.

So it's out there. It must be. Why ABKCO refused them to release live versions has always baffled me. Seems stupid. Still Life was mostly ABKCO Music songs.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 2, 2009 07:23

>> It has been stated that the original intention ... <<

... that's intriguing; where did you see that?

Date: November 2, 2009 07:25

I remember reading it at the time in one of those magazines - Cream or Trouser Press. They specifically mentioned Drift Away and said one side would be live. Amazing the bits of arcana one retains in the brain for 35 years...

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: November 2, 2009 13:50

Once more back to the original question:
No matter if MJ didn't want to put out any vintage live recordings in more recent times, they were in fact considering to put out a live album in '72 and again in '73. In '72 it would've been a double album, incorporationg one side of Stevie Wonder tracks (he was their support act on the 1972 US tour); in '73 they were thinking about a single studio/live LP, consisting of one side of live recordings and another side of cover versions (highly fashionable at the time). This project then morphed into "It's Only Rock'n'Roll, the studio album we all know. I'm quite sure that the '73 version would've contained "You Can't Always Get What You Want" (as Mick Jagger talked about how much he liked the 'new arrangement') so the ABKCO settlement might have had something to do with their decision to drop the live stuff. What I do know is, that it definitely blocked the '72 live album release (You can hear the proposed contents and some additional tracks in excellent quality on the "Keep Your Motor Runnin'" bootleg).

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-02 14:06 by Greenblues.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: November 3, 2009 00:22

I believe it was the Rolling Stones Mojo issue from...two years ago.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1760
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home