Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Which Are the Best Recordings from Each Tour?
Posted by: MJG196 ()
Date: November 2, 2009 18:25

Hey everyone. I am new to the forum, but certainly not new to the Stones or their bootlegs. I am a 2nd-gen Stones fan (born in 1973) and my favorite eras are late Brian Jones-era and Mick Taylor-era.

Instead of piling up on more mediocre recordings, I was hoping people could list what they believe to be the - generally accepted - best recordings from each Stones tour, whether a legit release or not.

As for 1969, I just d/l the San Diego show, TSP release TSP-CD-214.

Re: Which Are the Best Recordings from Each Tour?
Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: November 2, 2009 19:04

I never get tired of this question. Limiting it to the period you indicate, and basing it on performance and sound quality, I'll recommend these shows, but no particular release of the show unless indicated:

1) Melbourne/St. Kilda: radio show from Feb. 1966, I think the 24th
2) Hawaii, July 1966
3) Paris '67

4. San Diego '69 (the LP source is my favorite but is incomplete)
5. New York 11/27/69 (as with San Diego, this is an audience source. It's not as good as San Diego soundwise, but the performance is great0

6. Leeds, March 1971

7. Ladies and Gentlemen (Houston/FW 1972)
8. Fort Worth 2nd show (72)
9. Philadelphia 72 shows, especially the tracks from 7/20, but also sbd tracks from the 21st
10. MSG 7/26 (Welcome to NY, incomplete sbd)
10. Perth February 24th, 1973.
11. Sydney February 26th and 27th

12. London/Brussels/Newcastle show soundboards from fall '73 (radio broadcasts)

Most of these, as it turns out, are incomplete shows.

My 2nd tier -- all are audience unless otherwise indicated and are all complete shows as far as I recall:

Oakland '69 2nd, Baltimore '69, Boston 69, Altamont (Detroit is great, but another step down soundwise, and Hyde Park is worthy for various reasons.)

From 70: Berlin, Paris 9/22 (rough sbd), Essen

From 72: Mobile, Charlotte, Washington (others would add Norfolk and Akron)

From 73: London 9/8 (Devils Breath or one from same source -- is this 1st or 2nd show?), Birmingham 9/17?

There are many IORRians that are more knowledgeable. Hopefully, you'll get some great ideas....

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: November 2, 2009 20:14

I would go with all of that and just add the 9 soundboard tracks from the 2nd 1969 Oakland show available here [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: MJG196 ()
Date: November 2, 2009 20:30

Thanks a lot for the info, guys! Feel free to list shows thru the Some Girls tour. I have read a lot of posts discussing the general sloppiness of the playing and Mick's word-slurring thru the '76 tour. I have a couple '76 shows from that era that seem to be pretty good - but the best? That is for the experts to tell me...

6/4/76 - Exil Aux Abbatoirs
6/7/76 - Down & Out in Paris (complete SBD, though some tape hiss issues)

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 2, 2009 20:47

Some insights here:

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: November 2, 2009 20:54

A couple more while it's on my mind:

Pittsburgh 1972 is a pretty muddy soundboard but a soundboard nonetheless and there are a couple of compilations of soundboard scources of the London 8/9 nd 9/9/73 shows in the Buy/sell/Trade section of this website if you do a quick search that are well worth a listen.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: November 2, 2009 21:33

1978 Ft Worth or Passaic
1981 Hampton Roads or Tempe

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: November 2, 2009 23:57

Munichhilton
1978 Ft Worth or Passaic
1981 Hampton Roads or Tempe

I'd add Handsome Girls to Munichhilton's list for 1978. It contains the Fort Worth show mentioned by Munichhilton and a couple of cds worth of songs from a few different shows that were radio broadcasts. All tracks are excellent quality.

I've heard one version of Fort Worth that sounded better to my ears than the excellent Handsome Girls version. I'm not sure, but I think it may be "No Flash, No Gimmicks" on the Halcyon label. To my ears, this may be the best sounding live recording of the Rolling Stones ever. If you want guitars that just jump out of your speakers, find this one...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-11-03 00:01 by texas fan.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1178
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home