Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Bob Dylan "Real Live"
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 23, 2009 20:23

Honestman
Gazza
Theres an audience recording (maybe two as you say, I dont know) of the entire Paris show (a great gig, with Bob & Hugues Aufray doing a great English/French duet of The Times They Are A Changin/Les Temps Changent) and a 70 minute soundboard with just over half the show (about 13 songs).

Great show, although I agree with whats said above about Barcelona being the best of the tour. Some of the first few shows on the tour (which had 27 concerts) were a bit rough and ready but the last couple of weeks of it were superb.

True, Hugues AUFRAY who was scared before the show,did it well with Bob.
I also remember how fascinated was the crowd, when Bob in front of 80000 or 100000 people, played some songs alone with his harp and guitar.
It's one of the few guy who can do that !
The Mick T performance was very good and i own "Les temps changent", but what's the name of the soundboard, didn't heard about it????

Thanks in advancewinking smiley

Well, I never had it as a factory-pressed 'bootleg' disc - just as a tape or CDR -so there's no 'title' that i know of.

However, theres a CDR called "Parc des Sceaux Paris France" according to this site - [www.angelfire.com]

Track listing for the line recording is : Just Like A Woman, Simple Twist Of Fate, Masters Of War, Ballad Of A Thin Man, Enough Is Enough, Every Grain Of Sand, Like A Rolling Stone, Mr Tambourine Man, It Ain't Me Babe; Times They Are A-Changin' [w/Hugues Aufray]; It's All Over Now Baby Blue [w/Van Morrison]; Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat, Tombstone Blues, Blowin' In the Wind, Knockin' On Heaven's Door

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: October 23, 2009 20:54

Thanks very much Gazzathumbs up

HMN

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: October 31, 2009 07:34

Wasn't it in one of the Stones books that MT locked himself in his dressing room crying because he was in charge of the band but couldn't get it together? Always wondered if that was true.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: October 31, 2009 08:22

71Tele
Wasn't it in one of the Stones books that MT locked himself in his dressing room crying because he was in charge of the band but couldn't get it together? Always wondered if that was true.

Clinton Heylin's book Behind The Shades devotes a few pages to this tour.
Apparently, Nicky Hopkins was supposed to play keys, but McLagan was hired instead. The drummer's chair was always in limbo. Colin Allen was suggested by
Taylor, who was promoted to band leader although he didn't want it nor was he
in a position to be one. The rehearsals are supposed to have been a nightmare,
Dylan being in his un-talkative moods. According to Heylin, before the first gig,
Dylan had them run through an Ink Spots song.

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: October 31, 2009 11:07

Dylan wanted to tour with the Plugz. A band which backed him at the Letterman show. But they couldn´tso he used this "kind of" all star band with mac & mick etc. It was not a bad tour but it wasn´t great. If you´ve seen the letterman show with the plugz (they are on youtube for sure) you can imagine how great this could have been. He got so much power with this "punk" group which soon became the cruzados and later on Tito & Tarantula....

Date: October 31, 2009 11:10

i´ve searched it for you:

Don´t start me talking

License to kill

Jokerman

I also have the rehersals on tape

Date: October 31, 2009 11:23

Smokey
bluesinc.
so much talk about mick t. dylan did´nt like these lenghty solos, so they did split

They "split" because it was a "Europe only" tour. As for follow up, Dylan later complained to Richards and Woods that Taylor didn't return his calls.

They did´nt work together in the furure and when they were same bill they walked out of their ways, that´s no speculation, that´s eye whitness

Posted by: Drummerboy ()
Date: August 8, 2014 11:52

RE.tomk

My recollection of the RL tour includes none of the behind the scenes melodrama. The general mood was pretty light-hearted. Although we never spoke that much I never felt that Bob was particularly frustrated. Never had the sense that MT was in such a state that he cried in the dressing room. Nicky Hopkins did turn up at Bob's house I think on my third day at rehearsals by which time I had got the gig. Although a great pianist, Nicky knew little about playing Hammond organ so he was not suitable because of that. Ian McGlagan could do both so he got the gig. In my opinion the Letterman thing with the PlugZ was pretty dire, but then I'm an old fart. Can't imagine what a tour with them would have produced.To play with someone like Bob you need big ears & a lot of experience because anything could - & did happen. Despite the speculation & all that has been written about that tour my overall feeling was that for most of the time, certainly on stage, Bob seemed to be having fun. At no time did I ever find myself muttering " I'll be glad when this is all over". As far as the talk about Bob not digging MT's lengthy solos - well none of the songs went on that long, & let's face it when most rock bands play live, the guitarist usually takes a chorus or two - what's the big deal.

Date: August 8, 2014 12:00

Bob wouldn't have hired MT in the first place, if he didn't like his solos?

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 8, 2014 14:36

tomk
before the first gig, Dylan had them run through an Ink Spots song.

"We Three". Dylan's been obsessed with this tune for most of the 80's. He covered it several times during the NET.

Date: August 8, 2014 15:33

Justin
But 'Highway 61 Revisited' and 'Tombstone Blues' suffer from formless arrangements, and the band simply can't replicate the reggae groove called for on 'I and I' Surprised by his comments in bold.

I think I agree with Justin. If Kurt Loder thought I & I was a reggae groove he should listen to some reggae - I played the exact same thing that Sly Dunbar played on the album. Four on the floor plus a backbeat. There is nothing on the original album track that is typically reggae. As far as Highway & Tombstone are concerned nothing was ever discussed - we just played. It's only rock 'n' roll after all. I think most audiences enjoyed those songs. No intellectualizing needed.

Date: August 8, 2014 15:41

dcba
tomk
before the first gig, Dylan had them run through an Ink Spots song.

"We Three". Dylan's been obsessed with this tune for most of the 80's. He covered it several times during the NET.

Don't remember the Ink Spots run through but one day at the Beverley Theatre rehearsals, Bob starting singing Boy George's "Karma Chameleon".

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: August 8, 2014 16:43

Drummerboy

Justin
But 'Highway 61 Revisited' and 'Tombstone Blues' suffer from formless arrangements, and the band simply can't replicate the reggae groove called for on 'I and I' Surprised by his comments in bold.

I think I agree with Justin. If Kurt Loder thought I & I was a reggae groove he should listen to some reggae - I played the exact same thing that Sly Dunbar played on the album. Four on the floor plus a backbeat. There is nothing on the original album track that is typically reggae. As far as Highway & Tombstone are concerned nothing was ever discussed - we just played. It's only rock 'n' roll after all. I think most audiences enjoyed those songs. No intellectualizing needed.

A warm welcome to this board, Collin !

I was lucky to see you with Dylan on that tour in Waldbühne, Berlin and I still have great memories. All I can say is that we really enjoyed it. Joan Baez was opening (people shouted:"Do you still love Bobby?"), then Santana played and then Dylan for more then 2 hours.
Santana joined for the encores Tombstone and Blowing with the wind. I remember being a little disappointed that there was no "guitarbattle" with Mick and Carlos. Mick stayed back and Carlos was in the spotlight.
Any memories how did it come to have Santana on stage?

Tom

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: August 8, 2014 18:18

Colin,

Thanks for all of the insight you're providing. Welcome to the board! Nice to have a view from someone who was there in a far different capacity than most of the rest of us.

I'll be looking forward to reading more of your posts as well as your book when it is finished. You'll keep us posted as to how it's coming, right?

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: August 8, 2014 20:59

RE. electricmud

Yeah I remember the show in Waldbühne, Berlin for the simple reason that on the walk back through the trees to reach our bus suddenly I found I had a female companion - her name was Bettina & she was very friendly. LOL

Carlos played with us every night of the tour except the first night in Rotterdam - I think there may have been a bit too much chanting for Bob which may have put him in a bad mood. I think it was great that he came on & played with us but he was Bob's encore guest & a guitar battle would have been a bit out of place.

Date: August 8, 2014 21:22

RE. mr_dja

Don't know how much posting I'll be doing. The book is just something to do plus my daughter also wanted me to write something.

Yeah I'll let you know how it goes but it will be a while yet.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: August 8, 2014 22:01

Drummerboy
Justin

Wow---Collin welcome aboard! What a great treat to have you here and have you share your thoughts about playing with Dylan during this time.

I always felt that the treatment on these tunes on this live album was very Stonsey--and that's just because Taylor and McClagan were in the band. The four-on-the floor beat is prevalent on a lot of tunes and the tempo is beefed up to quite a frantic pace. The execution reminded me a lot of the punk delivery the Stones were delivering especially during the Some Girls tour in 1978. That straightforward backbeat was what struck me in this live album. It just straight ahead rocked.

Could you possible provide some insight about the rehearsal process for this tour and/or how Dylan directed the musicians? How exactly did Dylan mold the group to get this sound? Was there any discussion about how to approach the tunes or you guys just got together and started playing and eventually ended up with this punchy, in your face sound?

Any info would be real great to read!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-08 22:02 by Justin.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: August 8, 2014 22:06

I think the biggest problem with the live album is the production. Doesn't help that Mick Taylor is panned all the way to one side, so the whole album just sounds off and bland when it seems like it SHOULD be pretty blistering.

Posted by: smokeydusky ()
Date: August 9, 2014 02:07

Justin
I always felt that the treatment on these tunes on this live album was very Stonsey--and that's just because Taylor and McClagan were in the band.

This might account for a Stonesy sound:

Nico's website
840526A 26th May: Los Angeles, California, Beverly Theater. Tour-rehearsals.
Jam-session (mostly Rolling Stones-songs; all unverified).
Line-up: MT (gtr)/Carlos Santana (gtr)/Greg Sutton (bass)/Ian McLagan (keyb)/
Colin Allen (dr)

I don't really hear a "Stonesy sound", but things like Knocking on Heaven's Door and Every Grain of Sand were a bit more upbeat like the Stones current version of Sway winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1814
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home