Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
I like Chuck Leavell, BUT......
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 17, 2009 21:57

......has anyone here ever heard of Chuck Leavell being referred to as "The Sixth Rolling Stone?"

The article below does just that and I do not mind saying that I am rather PISSED OFF about it.

I appreciate Chuck, especially for his humanitarian efforts, but as far as I'm concerned, Ian Stewart is the only person worthy of being known as the "Sixth Stone."
I have actually thought about posting a comment to this article, but so far have not convinced myself that it is worth signing up to the site for a one-time rant that will probably not get much attention anyway.
Perhaps I should simply take solace in the fact that this article was written by some backwoods journalist(s) from Minnesota who is, in fact, nameless on the article itself.

Click the link below to see the article in it's original form, and click another link to see a rather embarrassing performance with Chuck and some congressman from Minnesota.

Published October 17 2009
Minnesota Rep. Collin Peterson jams with a Rolling Stone
Minnesota Congressman Collin Peterson took a break from his political work earlier this week to play guitar with noted musician Rolling Stones touring keyboardist Chuck Leavell.
By: Forum Staff Reports, INFORUM

Minnesota Congressman Collin Peterson took a break from his political work earlier this week to jam out with a member of rock royalty.

Thursday night Rep. Peterson (D-Minn), who is from Detroit Lakes, played guitar with Chuck Leavell, a noted keyboardist who’s toured with The Rolling Stones long enough to have earned the nickname “The Sixth Rolling Stone.”

The session came during a benefit for the American Forest Foundation and featured Peterson and Leavell playing Stones songs like “Brown Sugar” and “Dead Flowers.”

According to the Web site politico.com, Leavell said during the performance, “ ‘C’mon congressman! I know you can step up to the plate,’ … Peterson finally acquiesced: ‘I’ll give you a good rhythm and background,’ he told the famous musician.”

Peterson appeared at the event with his band The Second Amendments, which features several other politicians. The group played WE Fest, the country music festival outside of Detroit Lakes, in 2005.

“That was a hoot,” Leavell said to the Web site GMANews.tv. “It was a wild and wacky thing to be playing with a bunch of congressmen. This couldn’t have worked out better.”

Peterson’s office didn’t immediately return calls seeking comment.

A clip of video from Peterson’s jam session can be seen on The Star Tribune’s Web site, or by following the link on this page.

[www.inforum.com]

Re: I like Chuck Leavell, BUT......
Posted by: Baxter Thwaites ()
Date: October 17, 2009 22:39

In termns of lonegevity the term 6th stone is spot on. He's been with them a long, long, long time. Why not? It's a harmless tag. Although given Bill's departure he should in fact be the 5th Stone!

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: October 17, 2009 22:54

Chuck will NEVER be a Rolling Stone just like Darryl wont. They are hired hands,nothing more nothing less. And I totally agree,Edith Grove. In the beginning Ian Stewart WAS the sixth Rolling Stone, as original a member as anyone. We all know how Oldham crapped on him and its a lasting tribute to Stu how honorable he handled it.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 17, 2009 22:57

Not really getting worked up over to be honest. One journalist's offhand compliment doesnt mean anything.

Date: October 17, 2009 23:05

Gazza
Not really getting worked up over to be honest. One journalist's offhand compliment doesnt mean anything.

Exactly.

Date: October 17, 2009 23:06

On second thought,Gazza, you are 100% right!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: October 17, 2009 23:08

No let 'em get worked up over it ..... makes better reading!!!!

ROCKMAN

Date: October 17, 2009 23:44

Hey! We had a twenty degree drop in the weather and I'm worked up like a dog on nice cool morning!

But not to worry, I'll sleep good tonight.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: October 18, 2009 00:05

not crazy about chuck but he is here to stay so i just got used to that fact and learned to deal with it, for some unknown reason mick n keith want him there and thats it

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: October 18, 2009 00:21

F*cks sake, another bit of Chuck bashing yaaaaaawwwwn

**turns on match of the day**

Date: October 18, 2009 00:34

yorkshirestone
F*cks sake, another bit of Chuck bashing yaaaaaawwwwn

**turns on match of the day**

Read the whole post.
I ain't bashing Chuck. Just don't think he deserves a special title.

Date: October 18, 2009 00:46

Cool,Grove! Lassie Come Home LOL But just as afterthought Chuck couldnt carry Stu's jockstrap!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 18, 2009 00:53

5th Stone, 6th Stone - whatever. During rehearsals Jagger discusses the arrangements with Chuck, and not with Keith or Charlie, not to speak of Ronnie. In fact, if someone is treated like a hired hand it's Ronnie. Chuck is there for a reason. He gets the fire from a lot of fans who believe Keith and Ronnie are not actually dominating the band with their guitar sound anymore just because Chuck is there. That's just wrong, plain and simple.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: October 18, 2009 01:08

Well the author of that article did exactly what they intended to do, provoke a response from it's readers.

CBII

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: October 18, 2009 01:11

I´ve never been that interested in the Stones´ side musicians.

The Stones I grew up loving (1964-1974) didn´t NEED any side musicians!
NOT forgetting Ian Stewart...

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 18, 2009 01:21

Golly, I thought Blondie was the 6th Stone.

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: October 18, 2009 01:24

Bobbie Keys is more of a Stone than Ronnie IMHO.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 18, 2009 01:36

retired_dog
5th Stone, 6th Stone - whatever. During rehearsals Jagger discusses the arrangements with Chuck, and not with Keith or Charlie, not to speak of Ronnie. In fact, if someone is treated like a hired hand it's Ronnie. Chuck is there for a reason. He gets the fire from a lot of fans who believe Keith and Ronnie are not actually dominating the band with their guitar sound anymore just because Chuck is there. That's just wrong, plain and simple.

Exactly. Some people actually blame Chuck himself for his increased role in the band as if he has the power to call all the shots.

If anything, onstage Chuck has become the 2nd Stone - not the 5th or 6th - behind Mick, as Keith has basically abdicated his role as musical director and prime whip-cracker. Keith has admitted several times in the last few years that he basically doesnt suggest what songs the band should play on any given night anymore because its Mick who has to sing them and entertain the audience. Chuck, to his credit, at least tries to push Mick into trying something different and to move away from playing the same warhorses all the time.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 18, 2009 02:05

stonesrule
Golly, I thought Blondie was the 6th Stone.
No,he's the 7th.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: October 18, 2009 02:18

Nice guy....WRONG BAND!!!

Date: October 18, 2009 02:20

scottkeef
Chuck couldnt carry Stu's jockstrap!

Wouldn't think he'd want to, either! eye popping smiley

eeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww !!!!

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: October 18, 2009 07:08

Again, I don't see the point in getting worked up over one journalist's comment. Besides, as others have pointed out, the guy HAS been with them for over 20 years now, he helps design the setlists and basically works as a sort-of 'musical director' during shows. He's been on every album (and nearly every song), as well as every concert since 1989. In other words he does a lot of work for the band. He'll never be Stu or Nicky Hopkins, and I have had my complaints about his overly-prominent presence in the past, but I think the guy's earned his place in Stones history both past and present. I'd even bet that some people wouldn't object as much to him being called something like "the 5th or 6th Stone" if he was a lanky, spirit-swilling old English bloke as opposed to a bearded, curly-headed good old boy from Georgia.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-18 07:09 by theimposter.

Posted by: Zack ()
Date: October 18, 2009 08:56

Listen to the Allman Bros. Brothers and Sisters album and tell me Chuck's not awesome.

The man has kept the Stones together musically, and seems like a hell of a nice guy too. What's the fuss?

Posted by: TE ()
Date: October 18, 2009 09:06

Kind of agree with Gazza, but to me he is n'th.
Bobbie and Ian!

TE
Oslo

Date: October 18, 2009 10:54

I can't understand the antipathy towrds Chuck especially when so many suck up to Blondie Chaplin.

I like Chuck.

Posted by: 6853 ()
Date: October 18, 2009 12:03

chuck has a life also outside of rolling stones circus which he enjoys!
which is great. connectins between unlike areas ( rock and roll vs politics) is not only important, is to my mind very important.

i like him but but to my mind he is in the rolling stones context a technical guy like fx. the guitar tec or something and when saying that I am not downgrading technichians, they are as important as anyone else in a bands setup, but they just hafe another role than the bands "faces" so to speak,...

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: October 18, 2009 12:11

The change of the performance in concerts from 81 to 89 is due to Chuck Leavell I think. In 81 the band was raw and more of a garage band. 89 onwards until 99 we have a polished kind of presentation with the guitars low in the mix. Since 2002 the guitars are dominating more again, but the guitar playing (Ronnie mostly) is often horrible causing toothache. So I hope that there are more rehearsing sessions, before they go on tour next time.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: October 18, 2009 12:25

Baxter Thwaites
I can't understand the antipathy towrds Chuck especially when so many suck up to Blondie Chaplin.

I like Chuck.

Totally agreed.

Posted by: still ill ()
Date: October 18, 2009 14:11

Gazza
retired_dog

Exactly. Some people actually blame Chuck himself for his increased role in the band as if he has the power to call all the shots.

If anything, onstage Chuck has become the 2nd Stone - not the 5th or 6th - behind Mick, as Keith has basically abdicated his role as musical director and prime whip-cracker. Keith has admitted several times in the last few years that he basically doesnt suggest what songs the band should play on any given night anymore because its Mick who has to sing them and entertain the audience. Chuck, to his credit, at least tries to push Mick into trying something different and to move away from playing the same warhorses all the time.

And it's on those songs that Keith will often just plink and plonk a few notes here and there and forget any signigicant chord changes.Compare his strong and vibrant rhythm playing on Learning the Game from Austin,a song he sang on and presumably had input in picking and the live versions of Sway,where he clearly wasn't involved at all.

Posted by: Deathgod ()
Date: October 18, 2009 14:15

so does that make Tim Ries the 11th Rolling Stone ?

I prefer Ian McLagen over Chuck

Chuck seems like a nice guy, but a 'nice guy' don't fit the Stones for me.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1724
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home