Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: I like Chuck Leavell, BUT......
Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: October 18, 2009 15:53

Deathgod
so does that make Tim Ries the 11th Rolling Stone ?

I prefer Ian McLagen over Chuck

Chuck seems like a nice guy, but a 'nice guy' don't fit the Stones for me.

Look, when the Stones go on tour, we fans think in terms of Rock'n'Roll and attitude, but on tour they are a multi million dollar corporation and they need a safety net, also for insurance reasons, not another drinking buddy for Keith and Ronnie in oarticular, no matter how great Mac is as a player. Chuck is - not only seems like - a nice guy, but what's more important is that he is totally down to earth and reliable. At this stage, they just need a sober and reliable guy like him as a counterpart to the bad habits of other band members to make a year-spanning journey that's called "The Rolling Stones On Tour" work.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: October 18, 2009 18:34

Nothing personal but F-ck a bunch of Chuck!

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: October 18, 2009 18:55

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if they called Lisa Fisher, Kent Smith or Michael Davis Rolling Stones members.
What's the big deal really, since it's a fact that these guys will be on stage if the band intend to hit the road again. But it won't happen of course,
´cause it took a bunch of years for Ronnie to become a full member or whatever his status is nowadays.

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: October 18, 2009 22:34

The Stones
Honestly, I wouldn't mind if they called Lisa Fisher, Kent Smith or Michael Davis Rolling Stones members.
What's the big deal really, since it's a fact that these guys will be on stage if the band intend to hit the road again. But it won't happen of course,
´cause it took a bunch of years for Ronnie to become a full member or whatever his status is nowadays.

Well, that's kind of how I feel. Nothing wrong with calling Lisa, Bernard, Blondie, Chuck, etc., "Stones Extended Family". People often cite Stu as being the '6th Stone' because he 'held things together'. Well, like it or not, that seems to be very much what Chuck does as well, at least in regards to the stage show. And anyway, don't most people here practically consider Bobby Keys to be a Rolling Stone? I know I do. True he doesn't write the songs, and he's neither British nor a founding member, but his presence on stage and influence on the sound has been a big part of most of their history. I still consider his spot on 'Brown Sugar' to be perhaps the greatest sax solo in rock and roll history, and I really wouldn't want to hear anybody but him play it with the band (even if he struggles with a high note once in a while these days). At any rate, Chuck's an excellent musician (even if, speaking as a piano player myself, I find his style a bit too much), and he's done nothing more whatsoever to sully the Stones legacy any worse than anything the original members themselves have done (see: Dirty Work album cover, Streets of Love, Mick fighting inflatable monsters during 'Street Fighting Man').

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 18, 2009 22:50

theimposter
he's done nothing more whatsoever to sully the Stones legacy any worse than anything the original members themselves have done (see: Dirty Work album cover, Streets of Love, Mick fighting inflatable monsters during 'Street Fighting Man').

How do you feel about the inflatable sluts during Honky Tonk Women? eye rolling smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 18, 2009 23:45

retired_dog
Deathgod

Look, when the Stones go on tour, we fans think in terms of Rock'n'Roll and attitude, but on tour they are a multi million dollar corporation and they need a safety net, also for insurance reasons, not another drinking buddy for Keith and Ronnie in oarticular, no matter how great Mac is as a player. Chuck is - not only seems like - a nice guy, but what's more important is that he is totally down to earth and reliable. At this stage, they just need a sober and reliable guy like him as a counterpart to the bad habits of other band members to make a year-spanning journey that's called "The Rolling Stones On Tour" work.

thumbs up absolutely spot-on.

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: October 18, 2009 23:56

and he is the one to thank for all the unknown numbers they play!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: October 19, 2009 01:37

Baxter Thwaites
I can't understand the antipathy towrds Chuck especially when so many suck up to Blondie Chaplin.

And Bernard Fowler and Tim Ries and Lisa Fisher.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: October 19, 2009 01:38

but I luv Stu...and Mac

Posted by: boogie69 ()
Date: October 19, 2009 02:33

Listen to the Allman Bros. Brothers and Sisters album and tell me Chuck's not awesome.

Very true. I think the main issue with Chuck is, he's a great player, but his style isn't the best for the Stones. It's fits the Allmans much more so than the Stones. He's not a stone cold boogie/rock n roll piano player like Nicky Hopkins and Mac (who could also play others styles beautifully, especially Nicky), and of course Stu.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: October 19, 2009 13:48

Deathgod

That's right .
If I had the choice ,no Chuck ,no Daryl ,no chorists .

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 19, 2009 14:53

He's boring. His sound is far too round and precise. Nothing remotely exciting. Nicky Hopkins was by far the best pianist they had and Billy Preston easily the best organist.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: October 19, 2009 15:47

Rik
and he is the one to thank for all the unknown numbers they play!

I thought it was Ron that always pushed for that. In fact, it's well documented he was behind them recording so many old numbers for the "Stripped" sessions!

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: October 19, 2009 15:57

Edith nice dog!!!

Will Chuck ever be an official Stone/Member of the band? Probably not but outside of Mick, Chuck has probably contributed more to the Stones live performances the last 2 tours than any other member of the band.

Date: October 19, 2009 16:02

Well, Chuck is closer than anyone else (as much as I hate to admit it), since he get to decide the setlist in collaboration with Mick...

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: October 19, 2009 16:13

SwayStones

Fair enough you didn´t touch the horn section,Sway...winking smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: October 19, 2009 16:47

Gazza
retired_dog
Deathgod

And it 's precisely for that reason that the Stones' live show has degenrated into a stadium size cabaret act. Safety has no place in rock'n'roll, it's all about danger and the fact that anything could go wrong. By far the most exciting thing that could possibly happen at a Stones show right now is the inclusion of a real oddity - some song they haven't played for years. Sad really.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: October 19, 2009 17:02

shortfatfanny
SwayStones

Fair enough you didn´t touch the horn section,Sway...winking smiley

I really liked Bobby Keys ,that's why ! smiling smiley

In an e-mail exchange, Mick Jagger praised Mr. Leavell's musical talents, his prodigious enthusiasm and his patience during tours, even if they expressed a bit of wonderment about what he does in his spare time. "It's fine with me if Chuck is crazy about trees," Mr. Jagger wrote. "They are very sensual and they don't talk back too much."

"They don't talk back too much " Ha ha ha!

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: October 19, 2009 18:00

chuck rocks

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: October 19, 2009 18:29

I thought Michael Cohl was the 6th Stone?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: October 19, 2009 18:31

Silver Dagger
Gazza
retired_dog
Deathgod

And it 's precisely for that reason that the Stones' live show has degenrated into a stadium size cabaret act. Safety has no place in rock'n'roll, it's all about danger and the fact that anything could go wrong. By far the most exciting thing that could possibly happen at a Stones show right now is the inclusion of a real oddity - some song they haven't played for years. Sad really.

Agreed, but no reason to shoot Chuck, he's only the piano player. Its a path the Stones themselves have chosen to go down. If anyone has a problem with how they play or how they sound, the buck stops with them.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1508
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home