Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Best Rambler version
Posted by: MickGibsonSG ()
Date: December 24, 2005 23:30

I'm a newbie as far as live versions, I have the ya ya's which scorches, but what are the top three or five other ones? And can anyone usendit them?

Re: Best Rambler version
Date: December 24, 2005 23:38

My favorite version bar none is on the "Get Yr Leeds Lungs Out" boot from '71. They start out with a Bo Diddley jam while Keith gets his guitar together and then it hits like a freight train. Besides the fact that it rocks, it's one of the best examples of how the Stones could go beyond simply playing music and tranform the performance into theatre. There were some killer versions from '72 and '73 Euro tours as well. After that, as one critic noted, "Midnight Rambler doesn't make your hair stand on end like it used to." But that guy probably still lives with his mom and watches a lot of TV.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: December 25, 2005 00:39

UnderAssistantWCpromoMan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
After that, as one
> critic noted, "Midnight Rambler doesn't make your
> hair stand on end like it used to."

According to my own experience, it still did in 2003 (and I'm confident that it will in 2006, if I'm lucky enough to get this song at the concerts I'm going to attend).

"got to be worked on
don't have no bark nor bite..."

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: December 25, 2005 01:14

My fav is from Brussells Affair

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: December 25, 2005 01:56

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-24 22:52 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: December 25, 2005 03:39

The version on Brussels Affair is not only the best version the Stones ever played of this song, but the best version they ever played of ANY song.

If you ever want proof of what a brilliant and hypnotizing performer Jagger is, the way he whips the crowd up into a frenzy in the slow part in the middle of the song is all you need

The band he has behind him aren't too fĂșckin' shabby, either!

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: December 25, 2005 04:07

philadelphia 1972

Posted by: Roger457 ()
Date: December 25, 2005 04:11

As was already mentioned above, Leeds 71 is simply nasty! After a minute of fooling around, Keith comes blasting out of the gate with that Ampeg amp on 10. The next 13 minutes is pure magic. Awesome version!

I also thought the boys did a great job with it in 2003 at MSG. (HBO show)

Roger

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: December 25, 2005 04:13

Basel 1990.

Posted by: Goyasparanoias ()
Date: December 25, 2005 04:24

I have got so many favorite Ramblers............but my current favorite is always the last one I heard live --- SAN FRANCISCO 2 !!!

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: December 25, 2005 12:55

I like all the live versions, from all tours, but nothing beats being there when they play it. The most memorable time for me was October 5, 2002, Hartford, encore song.

Posted by: Buddha66 ()
Date: December 25, 2005 13:44

The best one that I've seen in person is Oberhausen, '03. I was right up next to the B stage beside Charlie. Absolutly rocked!

Recorded version I like the best is from 4 Flicks...Realy good interaction going on and just plain blistering Rock 'n Roll!

Posted by: wild_horse_pete ()
Date: December 25, 2005 14:05

Rotterdam, 1995 best concert ever

Posted by: Joss ()
Date: December 25, 2005 14:41

I'm with the majority about Brussels being the best recorded version I've ever heard & Leeds '71 or Ya Yas probably comes second for me. I also agree that nothing can compare to actually being there when they play it live - even if it's not their best version. This song just whips you up into a total frenzy & is the highlight of any show I've attended where they've done it smiling smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: December 25, 2005 15:00

I absolutely agree with Gazza -Rambler from Brussels is the best piece of music they have ever played. Everything fits, all play their best ever parts. It's still mesemrizing after 20 years of listening to it.

Mathijs

Posted by: Steven ()
Date: December 25, 2005 16:03

Brussels

Posted by: forestones ()
Date: December 25, 2005 16:37

My favorite was this fall(oct. '05) in Charlottesville after the bomb threat and the fact that it was close to midnight when they were kickin this one into high gear made it very memorable for me.

Posted by: Frayed ()
Date: December 25, 2005 17:43

Roseland

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: December 26, 2005 02:27

The studioversion, the one on @#$%& Blues, Brussels and Philly (ladies and gents).

Posted by: albop ()
Date: December 26, 2005 11:31

Marseille 2003 was great !

Posted by: marko ()
Date: December 26, 2005 13:03

Brussels-73
La 9.7.1975
Rio 4.2.1995

Posted by: thomas guitar ()
Date: December 26, 2005 13:18

For me the best version is Bruxelles 1973. Keith Richards and Mick Taylor at his best.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: December 26, 2005 15:25

London 1973, can't remember if it's 8/9 or 9/9
NYC 26/07/72
Brussels 73 ain't bad at all

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: BOBM ()
Date: December 26, 2005 16:42

Now if someone could take the 1973 version and reduce the speed by about 20%, then you'd have something. All the songs after You Can't Always Get What You Want, from all the 1972 and 1973 shows, were played too fast. They would have been even greater if played more slowly.

Posted by: rknuth ()
Date: December 26, 2005 17:16

Brussels is great. The best version of Rambler I've heard live myself was Stuttgart 99 b-stage.

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: December 26, 2005 19:28

Brussels is of course magic, but my personal favourite is Sydney 73 (and all of the Ozzy tour from that year). Pure magic - especially Taylors contribution of bluesy licks in the middle section.

Date: December 26, 2005 20:07

Roseland........defently

"mick's my wife, and we can't get divorced"

"Alright keith, gimmie some of them women"

"And now, dressed as mick jagga........mick jagga"

AIM- ohnonotyouagainn

Posted by: MickGibsonSG ()
Date: December 27, 2005 03:37

Can anyone post some of these, e.g., Leeds, Roseland etc.?

Date: December 27, 2005 17:30

As I was reading this thread Rambler from Boston 72 (Jailhouse Rock CD) popped up on Random! smiling smiley

I won't disagree with those saying good things about the Brussles' version at all-the whole show kills!

The main reason I favor Leeds is because (as someone above pointed out) Brussels is played 4x speed during the crucial build up in the middle. The Leeds version is all about sex, and is a great song to be playing while getting laid-specially the "whipping" section!

But, please only try this under adult supervision, of course.

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: December 27, 2005 17:35

Akron 1972

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1730
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home