Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Pondering on Bill
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: October 11, 2009 14:00

People and pundits, got a few questions for you

1) Who is playing the bass guitar on Jiving Sister Fanny )n Itchy Fingers on outtakes. Sounds much like Keith

2) On wich track Bill and Keith had an argument, Bill saying Keith' bass line was crap? Was it Happy?

3) More important : do know if Bill, during his long Stones' tenure, was more accustomed to record his part after Keith and Charlie rather during the original take? Because this would also explain a part of Bill's late-in-the-time, kind of lazy musical signature and groove

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-11 14:06 by The Joker.

Re: Pondering on Bill
Date: October 11, 2009 14:36

I would surmise, that Bill did not over dub his Bass. Might have happened here and there but that is one of Stones trademarks - to do the'real' basic tracks.
Matter of fact - if there was a bass track to be overdubbed, I would think that those very occasions could have called for Keith or Taylor or Ronnie to do the Bass.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: October 11, 2009 14:56

1) I'm 100% certain it's Keith on JSF.

Thre was an interview with bill where he said that his 'job' in the Stones was to lay downn the bass part after Keith and Mick had worked out/laid down the basic cut (with Charlie presumably). From the mid seventies I think.

But it depends on the era really. Some girls seems mainly laid down with them all playing 'live' - or at least that's how the tracks were first cut. Same with much of Steel Wheels.

Much of the sixties work would have been cut fairly 'live'.

After S Fingers he wasn't consistently present at the sessions and Taylor and Keith either overdubbed his parts or did the bass parts from the get go. I think he's only on 1 or two tracks on GHS. maybe about four or five on IORR.

I think he's on most of Black and Blue - and I think Keith re-did his bass part on Crazy Mama. There's a photo from one of those sessions with Bill looking on as Keith lays down the bass as he wants it.

It was 'telling' that when they did Fing File live they called on Ronnie to do the 'cool' funky bass line. (Mick Taylor created and played the original).

Generally I think the best 'band' songs, even on exile, have him playing on them - even though he lacks the individual flare of the guitarists in the band. Individual flare isn't generally the point in a Stones' context really.

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: October 11, 2009 15:32

The process of overdubbing the bass guitar is not too clear, especially in term of royalties

Just for the record, Bill complained many times about the money, but he also said he would not replace an original Keith bass line because he had not a too big ego

Basically, if Bill re-did the Keith part, Bill would get the royaties, and if Keith erased the Bill part to play it himself, Keith woud get extra credit, Bill being penniless? Is that the way this circus works?

At least, better than nobody dares overdubbing Charlie.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 11, 2009 22:22

>There's a photo from one of those sessions with Bill looking on as Keith lays down the bass as he wants it.

That's SFTD.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: October 11, 2009 22:26

Four Stone Walls

It is Wyman. JSF was cut live in the studio with the entire band present, and the bass lines are trademark Wyman.

Mathijs

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-11 22:26 by Mathijs.

Date: October 12, 2009 00:38

Mathijs
Four Stone Walls

It is Wyman. JSF was cut live in the studio with the entire band present, and the bass lines are trademark Wyman.

Mathijs

It sounds classic Keith to me - recorded and played so 'up front'. All of Bill's stuff from that era is less 'blatant'.

Date: October 12, 2009 00:41

Glam Descendant
>There's a photo from one of those sessions with Bill looking on as Keith lays down the bass as he wants it.

That's SFTD.

I think there's also one from '75 or '76 - in Roy Carr's book? - with the caption, 'Poor Bill'.

Date: October 12, 2009 00:55

I always thought it was Keith on Bass for JJF for sure.

I just want to point out a sentence by Four Stone Walls earlier post. When I first read it, I overlooked the word 'seems':
"Some Girls mainly laid down with them all playing live..." winking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2249
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home