Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Bridges to Babylon PPV Special
Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: October 5, 2009 05:45

For all those of you who followed the Rolling Stones' December 12, 1997 PPV special of their Bridges to Babylon, which was filmed at the TWA Dome in St. Louis, MO, what did you think of the performances they did???

The song list is:
1. "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" (1965)
2. "Let's Spend the Night Together" (1967)
3. "Flip the Switch" (1997)
4. "Gimme Shelter" (1969)
5. "Wild Horses" (1971) (f/ Dave Matthews)
6. "Anybody Seen My Baby" (1997)
7. "Saint of Me" (1997)
8. "Corinna" (1968) (w/ Taj Mahal, as this was his song originally and that he co-wrote with Jesse Ed Davis)
9. "Out of Control" (1997)
10. "Waiting on a Friend" (1981) (f/ Josh Redman)
11. "Miss You" (1978)
12. "All About You" (1980) (Keith solo)
13. "Wanna Hold You" (1983) (Keith solo)
14. "It's Only Rock 'n Roll (But I Like It)" (1974)
15. "The Last Time" (1965)
16. "Like a Rolling Stone" (1995) (cover of the 1965 Bob Dylan song)
17. "Sympathy for the Devil" (1968)
18. "Tumbling Dice" (1972) (Keith briefly shares Chuck Leavell's keyboard on this one)
19. "Honky Tonk Women" (1969)
20. "Start Me Up" (1981)
21. "Jumpin' Jack Flash" (1968)
22. "You Can't Always Get What You Want" (1969)
23. "Brown Sugar" (1971)

~Ben Edge

Re: Bridges to Babylon PPV Special
Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: October 5, 2009 05:59

well I really liked the version of The Last Time...and the ladies flashing the stage.

Seriously though I think four songs from this show ended up on No Security.
Corina is/was an odd choice, that for me didn't really work out so well'
Memory Motel, eh, I was at the Texas Motor Speedway Show and they didn't have Dave Mathews join them onstage then..they should have kept it that way.

Overall Ronnie was kinda out of it in this show.

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: October 5, 2009 12:10

Corinna was an odd choice indeed but I think it was great that choose such an odd song. Better an odd choice that maybe didn't go down well than a preditable one. I really started to like the song once I listened to it a couple of times on No Security. Too bad they cut some songs out of the official dvd. The Last Time was indeed a killer IMO. Great performance other wise.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Doctor Dear! ()
Date: October 5, 2009 14:07

Too bad they couldnt get Chuck Berry to show up and do Little Queenie with them like they wanted to do

Posted by: mickboy33 ()
Date: October 5, 2009 15:24

I was at this show. I've seen the Rolling Stones 8 times, starting with the Steel Wheels tour. I'd have to say this one was my least favorite of the bunch. Songs 5-9, 10, 12, and 13 really made the show lose alot of momentum. I was expecting better special guests. I remember there was a big controversy at the time because "Star Star" looked like it won all the votes on the internet for the fan choice that night, but they did "Waiting on a Friend" instead (probably because Josh Redman was one of the special guests). Remember how we got to vote for a song on the internet? I had kind of forgotten about that.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: October 5, 2009 16:10

Keith's solo on Satisfaction kicks major ass!

Posted by: starstar74 ()
Date: October 5, 2009 16:18

mickboy33
I was at this show. I've seen the Rolling Stones 8 times, starting with the Steel Wheels tour. I'd have to say this one was my least favorite of the bunch. Songs 5-9, 10, 12, and 13 really made the show lose alot of momentum. I was expecting better special guests. I remember there was a big controversy at the time because "Star Star" looked like it won all the votes on the internet for the fan choice that night, but they did "Waiting on a Friend" instead (probably because Josh Redman was one of the special guests). Remember how we got to vote for a song on the internet? I had kind of forgotten about that.
I was at this show and have to STRONGLY disagree. This was a close second for being the best show of the entire tour behind Vegas 11/22/97. SOngs 5-9 were well received especially the Babylon songs. Corina may have slowed things down a little, but SOM and OOC really picked the crowd up. A great show with great performances, and strong Jagger vocals. The DVD has no overdubs that I can hear other than raising the crowd noise higher in the mix.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: October 5, 2009 16:21

Yeah, I was there too, and I was highly suspect too when Waiting on a Friend won, and they promptly introduce Josh Redman. Wonder what he would've done if that didn't win? grinning smiley

The other thing I remember from that show was, it just didn't seem loud enough. Not sure if they had to tone it down for the broadcast or what, but just didn't seem like the sound filled the stadium.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: October 5, 2009 17:46

I was geeked to hear it live on the radio since I didn't have a TV at the time. I recorded it as well and still have the tapes. I was pleased when some of it was on No Security since the radio broadcast was slightly whack.

Overall I loved it - much more so than the previous tour. Better performance, more intense and better musicianship - not so sloppy.

1. Satisfaction - Thought it quite clever that they opened with this to get it out of the way - and actually played it instead of flying through it.

2. Let's Spend The Night Together - Very nice. Really liked this version.

3. Flip The Switch - Most excellent. New song, one that kicks, it's even funny, nice guitaring from Keith - still one of my live faves.

4. Gimme Shelter - Really enjoyed this version and I think the No Security take is quite good. Nice guitar work between Keith and Ronnie.

5. Wild Horses with Dave Matthews - This should have been brought to the nearest gynecologist for an abortion.

6. Anybody Seen My Baby - I liked that they played it - more new, less old - but it stank. The Miss You for the 1990s.

7. Saint Of Me - Another new one only a thousand times better than the previous song. Strange how they couldn't play ASMB worth a shit but SOM is a million times better.

8. Corinna with Taj Mahal - Totally dug it, a nice kink in the show. Very cool and a nice performance. Glad it made the live album.

9. Out Of Control - The fact that they chose this for a single is the last time The Rolling Stones gave a shit about what they do. Like the horn work on this one and I think it's a great song. Too bad they've ignored it since.

10. Waiting On A Friend with Josh Redman - very nice. Hard not to like this quite faithful rendition.

11. Miss You - Crap.

12. All About You - Something different from Keith! Very nice.

13. Wanna Hold You - Quite a surprise - he played an obscure tune and then another obscure tune as opposed to something over done like Happy or Run. Not very good but still a bit more interesting than the usual.

14. It's Only Rock 'N' Roll (But I Like It) - It's just an awful song that they just go through the motions of. Crap.

15. The Last Time - A bit odd. Very odd sounding.

16. Like A Rolling Stone - Certainly they could have played a Chuck Berry song here - which was what I was expecting actually. I liked it with Stripped - I don't care for it anymore.

17. Sympathy For The Devil - Eh, woo hoo. Yawn.

18. Tumbling Dice - Very nice.

19. Honky Tonk Women - Yawn.
20. Start Me Up - Yawn.
21. Jumpin' Jack Flash - Yawn.
22. You Can't Always Get What You Want - Yawn.
23. Brown Sugar - Too long and yawn.

And the DVD is missing some songs because why?

Posted by: rocknola ()
Date: October 6, 2009 03:41

If you watch it closing, I think Waiting on a friend was planned for later on in the set and when it was picked they all had a good laugh because Josh Redman wasn't ready to play. It took him awhle to get on stage.I'll have to watch it again.

Date: October 6, 2009 10:47

Lol, I did not notice that, Rocknola, I'll have to watch that again.
Does anyone have the setlist of that show? I'm curious which spot the song had instead.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: October 6, 2009 16:01

The did we get shorted a song, assuming the internet vote may have picked something different and WOAF would've been played later?

That was a long show as it is, 1 more song may have come close to tying a record for them. >grinning smiley<

Date: October 6, 2009 19:42

I think that internet vote was staged. Like they will just suddenly know how to play something they haven't rehearsed and sound good.

Right.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 6, 2009 19:49

"Corinna" was a sentimental choice for Mick. Taj Mahal's version was one of Mick and Marianne's favorite songs in the late sixties. The name was being considered for the child Marianne miscarried in 1969. The decision to include the track on NO SECURITY coupled with the inclusion of "Sister Morphine" seemed to have more personal relevance than simply being live rarities.

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: October 6, 2009 20:04

Rocky Dijon
"Corinna" was a sentimental choice for Mick. Taj Mahal's version was one of Mick and Marianne's favorite songs in the late sixties. The name was being considered for the child Marianne miscarried in 1969. The decision to include the track on NO SECURITY coupled with the inclusion of "Sister Morphine" seemed to have more personal relevance than simply being live rarities.

hmm..good info. thanks.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: October 7, 2009 02:37

skipstone
I think that internet vote was staged. Like they will just suddenly know how to play something they haven't rehearsed and sound good.

Right.
100 percent correct, it had to be staged to pull it off, but it would have been great if they had the balls to do otherwise

Date: October 7, 2009 03:04

voting could only be done the day of each show. Songs were limited to a list provided by the website

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: October 7, 2009 08:35

Rocky, great information!! Fantastic and very interesting. Where did you get that tid bit?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 7, 2009 10:20

>> "Corinna" was a sentimental choice for Mick. Taj Mahal's version was one of Mick and Marianne's favorite songs in the late sixties.
The name was being considered for the child Marianne miscarried in 1969. <<

thanks Rocky Dijon - and i second whitem8's question:
where does that very charming information come from?

Date: October 7, 2009 11:24

melillo
skipstone

Right.
100 percent correct, it had to be staged to pull it off, but it would have been great if they had the balls to do otherwise

I don't think the vote was staged on the B2b tour. Maybe they could have "staged" it for a special event like this show when they have a guest but otherwise I think they closed the voting before they do there soundcheck/warm up so they could run through the selected song of that evening. They have to prepare the guitars/lighting etc anyway so when the setlist is made up they no what song they are going to play.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: October 7, 2009 17:39

That or they have rehearsed the songs THEY made available to vote for.

Date: October 8, 2009 03:41

where did I get that tid bit?? Lived it!!!

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: October 8, 2009 04:38

>That or they have rehearsed the songs THEY made available to vote for.

? Well of course they rehearsed the songs "THEY" made available to vote for; it was a limited list of songs that they chose.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2573
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home