Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: London Hotels (I really need help guys).
Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: October 4, 2009 18:23

So my fiancé and I are going to London tomorrow (From Oct. 5th to Oct. 10th). Back in the end of June we booked a room at The Queens Park Hotel. So today I called them to make sure everything was fine and ready. It wasn't. sad smiley The guy I talked to said that we weren't in their system. Even though we have an e-mail with a confirmation code (we paid 305 GBP for it too - Where's that money now)? I called them twice and wrote them an e-mail to no avail.

So it's impossible to get anything out of those f****** a******* it seems.

Now my question, or more like a plead, is: Anybody know a good hotel in London? It doesn't have to be anything fancy, but it does need to be in a somewhat good district (Not too far from the city center), and have a double bed. And most importantly: It must be as cheap as possible (Keeping in mind that 305 GBP already went out the bloody window).

Help please!!!!!!!

JumpingKentFlash

Re: OT: London Hotels (I really need help guys).
Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 4, 2009 18:42

Kent, you have mail.

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: October 4, 2009 18:46

St Giles is were we stay when in London, very central, near Oxford Street.
It´s nothing fancy, but you can´t beat the location.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: October 4, 2009 19:26

The Park Inn, used to be the Bonnington. Near the St Giles actually.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: October 4, 2009 20:32

Try the Sanderson hotel on Berners street. It's very close to the 100 Club on Oxford Street. If you do make your residence there, make sure to eat at Stef's also on Berners street between the hotel and Oxford Street. Absolutely fantastic Italian food.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: October 4, 2009 20:54

did you pay with cash or credit card? if with credit card, you can get a refund...

i've found some great deals on london hotels on travelocity.com

Posted by: Wolfgang ()
Date: October 4, 2009 20:57

Any suggestions to Stay in London with the whole family (wife, kids..) I mean it should be OK ,..not too loud and not to expensive & central would be great ;-)

Date: October 4, 2009 21:19

The Langorf on Frognal in Hampstead. If you paid w/credit card you can dispute the charges. langorfhotel.com

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: October 4, 2009 21:27

Hi

You can call your Bank to stop the payment even on Sunday, there's a phone number in each Bank with each card , which allow you to do that.
If you couldn't call them for any reason, go to your Bank as soon as possible
to make an opposition for "Being involved in litigation".
Hope for you it's not too late, because i don't know when you've paid.

HMN

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: October 4, 2009 22:51

Yeah, that makes no sense that they could take the money without providing the room. I'd defianately look into that. That's a lot of money, at least it is to me. Think of how many records you buy in London.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: October 5, 2009 11:52

Very sorry to hear this, Kent!
But I'm sure you paid by credit card. Then you have a receipt. And they probably sent you a confirmation when you booked. If I were you, I'd bring the documentation, and the girlfriend and luggage, and go to the hotel.

If you've used a booking engine, like hotels.com or hotelclub.com, they sometimes don't inform the hotel about the names of the guests until a couple of days before arrival. Some stupid hotel employees don't know how things work, and you might have reached one of them.
Your money's not lost. Just speak with the credit card company, if they fail to give you the room you've paid for, and they'll take tke money back, on behalf of you. If you try to do it yourself, it would be called "robbery". When the credit card company tries to do it, it's just "Taking care of business".
And you can tell the hotel that ending up on a credit card company's black list for attempted fraud can be extremely bad for business. And that customers seldom keep these things to themselves.

Have a pleasant stay! Don't forget tea at Claridges in Brook St. You never know who you'll bump into. I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Posted by: 3DTeafoe ()
Date: October 5, 2009 15:30

i stayed at the charlotte guest house in west hampstead.
cheap and cheerfull. excellent loacation. good neighbourhood.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: October 5, 2009 15:41

Maybe this in Dartford? [www.windsoraccomm.co.uk]
"Ten minutes walk from mainline train service to Bromley & London"
34 GB-Bucks for a double room.
"Discounts available for Friday, Saturday & Sunday nights when 2 nights booked and paid for 6 weeks in advance." [www.windsoraccomm.co.uk]

"Jessamine Guest House used to be a 19th Century Ale House.
It is situated 2 miles from the Dartford Crossing (1 mile from junction 1b A282).
18 miles from the centre of London, with a train service running every 20 minutes."

And nice pictures at [www.windsoraccomm.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-05 15:44 by Baboon Bro.

Posted by: tomremi ()
Date: October 5, 2009 16:52

I stayed at the Quality Crown Hyde Park hotel this summer. About 250m from the nearest tubestation (Paddington), and 20mins walking distance from Oxford street.
Cheap clean and quiet.

-TomR

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 5, 2009 17:38

Baboon Bro
Maybe this in Dartford?

The guest house is in Swanley - not Dartford

The nearest town of note to Swanley, is Bromley. It's around 20 minutes to London Victoria from Bromley South and probably around 35 from Swanley train station.

Dartford isn't too far from there, but there is no mainline train service to Dartford from either Bromley or Swanley.

I would rather stay in London myself, personally.

Date: October 5, 2009 18:26

Big Al
Baboon Bro
Maybe this in Dartford?

The guest house is in Swanley - not Dartford

The nearest town of note to Swanley, is Bromley. It's around 20 minutes to London Victoria from Bromley South and probably around 35 from Swanley train station.

Dartford isn't too far from there, but there is no mainline train service to Dartford from either Bromley or Swanley.

I would rather stay in London myself, personally.

Where I live we actually manage to walk two miles, which is the mentioned distance to D-ford...
Even 2 miles and back would be survivable.
Everybody have their own taste when it comes to travel..
me, I like going with the common vehicles and see the real life,
not only some kinda penguin hotel piccolos with polished chins.
Actually I had in mind anothjer place in Dartfords, where we once was heade, I also booked, without paying thou..
Then had to withdraw.

During "my London years" I used to stay in Leytonstone; and I often walked into
the centre.. But then again, I'm a tough one..

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: October 5, 2009 19:33

Good luck, and I mean it.

Date: October 5, 2009 20:05

Fair enough Baboon Bro: it’s just that I feel Kent would be better served staying centrally and not in, err, Kent!

He can always hop on a train to visit Dartford – if he really felt compelled to, that is!

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: October 5, 2009 20:31

Wow - that is SUCH CRAP!!!

I don't mean for this to come out as an insult, but I know English is not your first language. For some people writing is easier than speaking - would you say that's true in your case? If so, do you think it would be helpful for someone with English as their first language to help you out? I could call for you - I can be really bitchy if necessary, and I'm always willing to put that talent to good use. Let me know if I can help.

Posted by: mattleeuk ()
Date: October 5, 2009 23:53

Kent, email me if you have any problems! You are also welcome to come over one evening if you want to see some cool stuff. Matt

Date: October 6, 2009 08:57

CindyC
Wow - that is SUCH CRAP!!!

I hope you are not referring to my language skills, here!eye popping smiley

Posted by: diane d ()
Date: October 6, 2009 09:16

i stayed at vancouver studios in bayswater last two times i was in london. clean, comfortable, friendly staff. all rooms have fridges and microwaves (and dishes, silverware, etc.) so they're more like small studio apartments and you at least have the option of not having to dine out every day.

Posted by: arniesw ()
Date: October 6, 2009 13:50

I'm a long-time lurker but felt I had to create a login just to say DO NOT stay in either Dartford or Swanley! I grew up near there and can assure you that you would be disappointed.

You can easily reach Dartford by train from central London if you particularly wanted to visit for historical reasons smiling smiley

Date: October 6, 2009 15:18

arniesw
I'm a long-time lurker but felt I had to create a login just to say DO NOT stay in either Dartford or Swanley! I grew up near there and can assure you that you would be disappointed.

You can easily reach Dartford by train from central London if you particularly wanted to visit for historical reasons smiling smiley

I lived in Dartford on-and-off from 2005-2008 and still visit every Sunday for a pub quiz. Incidentally, one of the participants currently resides in Keith's old council house on Temple Hill.

Best bet train-wise for Dartford from central London is either Charing X, Waterloo or London Bridge.

Posted by: arniesw ()
Date: October 6, 2009 16:05

Big Al
arniesw

I lived in Dartford on-and-off from 2005-2008 and still visit every Sunday for a pub quiz. Incidentally, one of the participants currently resides in Keith's old council house on Temple Hill.

Best bet train-wise for Dartford from central London is either Charing X, Waterloo or London Bridge.

Fair enough if you live there but try as I might I just can't see Dartford being much of a holiday destination.

My other half works in Crayford and we lived a couple of minutes from Bexleyheath broadway for eight years, until we got tired of people being sick in our front garden every Friday and Saturday night and de-camped further down into Kent.

I've always wondered whether Mick and Keiths' old houses would now be owned by fans.

Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: October 6, 2009 19:20

Best rates I have found for really noce hotels is on Hotwire.com. Select 4 stars and the part of London you want to stay in and you should find a good price. Ended up with a Hilton for ABB for $120 US.

Date: October 6, 2009 19:41

arniesw
quote]

Fair enough if you live there but try as I might I just can't see Dartford being much of a holiday destination.

My other half works in Crayford and we lived a couple of minutes from Bexleyheath broadway for eight years, until we got tired of people being sick in our front garden every Friday and Saturday night and de-camped further down into Kent.

I've always wondered whether Mick and Keiths' old houses would now be owned by fans.

I used to frequent Crayford Dogs occasionally – didn’t win much!

The Broadway in Bexleyheath is a bit of a kiddies-magnet come Friday night: The Rat and Parrott, Zero Bar, Affinity, Lloyds No.1 etc – did the lot, sadly!

The guy who currently resides in Keith’s old Temple Hill house is called Alf. His family bought it from the Richards in the 70’s, or whenever Keith’s parents finally moved out.

Date: October 6, 2009 23:10

Whateva ya pepple say I find Dartford 990% more interesting than anything else in London, expect Cheyne Walk, South Chelsea etc. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: October 6, 2009 23:42

've ya been ta London, Bro?

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: October 7, 2009 06:32

CindyC
Wow - that is SUCH CRAP!!! I could call for you - I can be really bitchy if necessary, and I'm always willing to put that talent to good use.

Believe what "C' says here, I've been to one of the Rehearsals ....

GREAT HOTEL FINDS at LOW Prices in Europe and NYC - [www.eurocheapo.com]

also [www.ricksteves.com] for more "great find hotels"

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1087
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home