Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Tim Ries - Rolling Stones Project
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: November 20, 2005 03:43

While I make no claim to be an expert of either jazz or obscure Rolling Stones sidemen (Tim is the current "other" sax guy, besides Bobby), I read an earlier post about this CD. The poster was saying Nora Jones did a great version of "Wild Horses" on this CD. I was willing to invest $15 to hear that.

What a pleasant surprise. Mostly instrumental jazzy type versions of several songs we know by heart. But, damn interesting! Yeah, Nora sounds (and looks) good. But the rest of the songs sound like the Stones would have sounded if Mick would have met Coltrane on the train ramp instead of Keith. Not for everybody. But I'm a lover of loud electric guitars and I dig it. For mellower times, this is a nice relaxing CD. Like many of our favorites, this may be best enjoyed while slightly ganga-ed! Sorry so long, just my review. Try it, you'll like it.

Re: Tim Ries - Rolling Stones Project
Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: November 20, 2005 03:47

Elmo Lewis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> While I make no claim to be an expert of either
> jazz or obscure Rolling Stones sidemen (Tim is the
> current "other" sax guy, besides Bobby), I read an
> earlier post about this CD. The poster was saying
> Nora Jones did a great version of "Wild Horses" on
> this CD. I was willing to invest $15 to hear that.
>
>
> What a pleasant surprise. Mostly instrumental
> jazzy type versions of several songs we know by
> heart. But, damn interesting! Yeah, Nora sounds
> (and looks) good. But the rest of the songs sound
> like the Stones would have sounded if Mick would
> have met Coltrane on the train ramp instead of
> Keith. Not for everybody. But I'm a lover of loud
> electric guitars and I dig it. For mellower times,
> this is a nice relaxing CD. Like many of our
> favorites, this may be best enjoyed while slightly
> ganga-ed! Sorry so long, just my review. Try it,
> you'll like it.

I have never been "slightly" gangaed in my life. Interpret that any way you want!

Seriously, the CD sounds pretty good. I bet Charlie would dig it, he is a big jazz fan. Can you post a track from the album here? I know, it is a commercial release, but at this point I am not going to spend $15 on it, unless I hear it and like it. If I don't like the track I promise to delete it. Wouldn't want any record company executives to feel like they have been ripped off and can't afford their next yatch!

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 20, 2005 03:48

a better album with the same overall concept was one done by Chicago blues stalwart Barry Goldberg a few years back. All Stones songs re-done in various blues-oriented arrangements - Mick Taylor even shows up to reprise his work on Ventilator Blues. worth seeking out

Date: November 20, 2005 03:53

StonesTod,

Is this the Paint It Blue CD? That is good, as is the Stones Country CD. Again, these aren't our boys, but sincere and good tributes. Any others out there?

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: November 20, 2005 03:55

no - Barry Goldberg's "Stoned" - better than Paint it Blue, IMO

Date: November 20, 2005 03:57

I'll check it out. Thanks!

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: November 21, 2005 11:21

Tim Ries (with Michael Davis & Bernard Fowler) will perform at Dazzle Jazz in Denver this Wednesday.

[www.dazzlejazz.com]

Posted by: phd ()
Date: November 21, 2005 14:27

I am not a jazz fellow, but I must admit this a pretty good CD. Especially Wild Horses, Waiting on a Friend and Honky Tonk .

Posted by: bv ()
Date: November 21, 2005 14:33

If you are in Denver on Wednesday then don't miss the Tim Ries show. It's great. Bernard Fowler on vocals. Tim Ries on saxophone, Michael Davies on trombone and some other world class musicians backing up. Doing great jazz inspired versions of Stones songs like "Wild Horses", "Ruby Tuesday", "Satisfaction", "Street Fighting Man", "Honky Tonk Women" etc.

Bjornulf

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1399
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home