Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ronnie's Fat Sound
Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: October 1, 2009 20:46

Hello all,
I've been listening to the Face's lately and some Stones 75-76 shows. What was Woody's rig like in the studio with the Faces?

For example, on Had Me a Real Good time, it sounds like the guitars are double tracked and/or through a chorus pedal. His sound on the Stones 75-76 tours was really fat. What his set up like on those tours?

Also, I know he played numerous guitars during these periods.....Zematis'and Strats for sure but what other guitars was he using?

Re: Ronnie's Fat Sound
Posted by: wetland10 ()
Date: October 1, 2009 20:52

Maybe this had something to do with it? LOL

Seriously though, cranked through an Ampeg that was over 100 watts.

Wayne

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: October 1, 2009 21:36

Don't know the set-up back then, but I know his sound for the last 20 years has been anything but 'fat'. Sometimes his tinny Strat sound will blend in with Keith, but it usually sounds flat and wimpy compared to KR's heavier Tele sound (good examples IMO would be 'Gimme Shelter' and 'JJFlash' from St Louis 97 - Keith's sound is all muscle, while Ronnie's is paper-thin).

Date: October 1, 2009 22:05

Agreed.The whole Stones sound for the past 10 years is weak at best. If you compare it to anything pre-1983 it is pretty lame.

Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: October 1, 2009 23:51

The worst thin guitar sound I ever heard from the Stones was on Saturday Night Live 1978.

PECMAN

Date: October 2, 2009 00:32

God, do I love that song! It's the one song that I should have posted in the thread where someone asked for a song that you can identify the most with. I'd never seen that particular version; Ronnie with the toilet seat, LOL. You just know it was some drunk dare.
Yes, Ronnie's sound nowadays is anything but fat. I've often wondered why he not only does not have a fatter sound, but almost goes out of his way to have the thinnest, tiniest sound possible. But with the Faces, granted like on "Losing You" or "Miss Judy" e.g. you had Ronnie with that very fat sound; BUT here on "Bad'n Ruin" it is really one of the trademark Faces sounds: Ronnie Lane's superfat Bass counter rumbling downstairs that makes it sound so incredibly f*ckin great.

Date: October 2, 2009 00:52

This You Tube video is a mess!!!! LOL

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: October 2, 2009 01:05

An exception to his usual thin sound was Sheffield 06 when he played his patterned SG for most of the show - sounded fantasic. Can't remember if it was full show or just a large portion.

sc uk

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: October 2, 2009 01:17

straycatuk
An exception to his usual thin sound was Sheffield 06 when he played his patterned SG for most of the show - sounded fantasic. Can't remember if it was full show or just a large portion.

sc uk

Interesting. I'd love to hear that.

Date: October 2, 2009 01:35

Yes...please! I always felt MJ has a good sound live. On Some girls he really stands out with his tele and the Dano sounds great (naturally!)

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: October 2, 2009 08:35

Nowadays he's also got a very fat voice...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: October 2, 2009 09:37

Pecman
The worst thin guitar sound I ever heard from the Stones was on Saturday Night Live 1978.

PECMAN

I like the way they (the guitars) sounded on SNL. A Mesa through an Ampeg is
probably the best sound you're ever gonna hear. I know 'cause I've used it!
That's pretty much how they sounded in rehearsal back then.
However, from what I remember, nobody sounded really, really good on SNL back then (they don't sound that good nowadays, either). It was more of a performance thing--"Did you see them on SNL?"

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 2, 2009 10:17

>> Sheffield 06 when he played his patterned SG for most of the show - sounded fantasic.
Can't remember if it was full show or just a large portion. <<

he used the SG for a number of numbers at Sheffield, but also the usual array of Strats, ESPs, Zemaitae, etc.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: October 2, 2009 10:43

Wow!
That clip was awsome!!!
Really fun. Groovy. Toiletseat not withstanding.
Must admit I´ve never owned a Faces album in my life only because Rod Stewart was in the group. To me he was/is such a ...something.

Any recommendations in the Faces catalogue?

RB

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 2, 2009 10:51

>> Any recommendations in the Faces catalogue? <<

Five Guys Walk Into a Bar: [www.macspages.com]

when you get acquainted with what a hugely gifted blues-rocker Rod was before he became Such a Something,
that might make him even more of a Something, if you see what i mean - but enjoy the Faces anyway!
that's what they're for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-02 10:51 by with sssoul.

Posted by: JMoisica ()
Date: October 2, 2009 10:53

Just took another listen to the live Round the Plynth/Gasoline Alley medley from the box set. Ronnie plays some unbelievable, kickass slide on that tune. At their peak, they made Zeppelin look like minor leaguers.

RB--I would recommend picking up the box set. Its a worthwhile investment.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: October 2, 2009 11:12

Thanks!

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: October 2, 2009 12:42

Yes, his sound in those years was absolutely incredibly beautiful.

But I don't agree with those who complain for his sound in the stones. In the faces he was the only guitarist in the band, and the sound HAD to be fat. You simply can't transpose the same settings in a two (sometimes 3) guitar combo, and, above all, you can't play as if you were the only guitarist.

During the Stones 75 tour the roles of the two guitarists were still quite separated and this explains Ronnie's fatter sound.

But with the Some Girls repertoire things had to change. Ronnie starts playing the higher registers, with a cleaner sound. On tape, this often results in a "tinnier" sound. But thank god we have boots like handsome girls and pearls at swine (78 rehearsals): can it get better than that?

During 81/82 Ronnie used a little more distortion here and there. Distortion compresses the sound, and if taped badly, the result is awful. But when you hear how it was supposed to sound (hampton or still life), you realize it was huge.

89/90. I don't like how the band sounded in that tour. All the band, not only Ronnie (they did play veeeeeeeery well though).

95 - today. There are times when he sounds great and times when I don't hear him. But I don't want to open a can of worms now. Let me only say that if someone knows how to get an "awful thin" sound close to Ronnie's on numbers like If you can't rock me, or the knocking solo, or the superb fills he plays on the live versions of Streets of Love, well send me an e.mail!

C

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: October 2, 2009 12:48

I love Ronnie's sound on YCAGWYW 1975.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-02 12:53 by SwayStones.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: October 2, 2009 18:29

Somehow, don't ask me how I know, but I don't think the clip you posted SwayStones is Ronnie Wood playing YCAGWYW from 1975.

Date: October 2, 2009 19:25

Does anyone know what tuning(s) he used for Plynth? What guitar would have been playing in the Faces days for this song.

I've never seen a clip of him doing it with the Faces. I seem to remember seeing him playing a Strat when I saw the Gunslingers 223 years ago.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1960
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home