Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
New IORR Contributors
Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: September 24, 2009 01:28

I've been noticing a lot of "new" IORR members! Welcome!!!

By "new" I mean... less than 50 posts.

I realize that some may have been "members" for years and
have only contributed a few times. I still consider you "new".

Just curious about the motivations of the newbies.
Is it the promise of a new tour? The remasters? Special Edition Exile & Ya-Yas?

Welcome! Don't be shy. winking smiley

IORR............but I like it!

Re: New IORR Contributors
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 24, 2009 02:26

Old members kicked off,returned with new names?confused smiley

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 24, 2009 03:16

sweet neo con
Just curious about the motivations of the newbies.

sweet neocon and all...

My motivation is I love the Stones!

I like to engage in interesting discussion about Stones' music, their lives, and how the Stones shaped, fit into, and reflect late 20th century popular culture.

I'm probably most motivated by learning and sharing what I learn, connecting with other people who are thoughtful, ever-curious, and passionate about the Stones. I also get eagerly sucked into silly posts about hair, affairs, and Stones wares.

I've been a fan of -- and aware of the Stones as a musical cultural presence -- since I was 4, in the '60s. What I mean by that is the Stones were always on turntables and in the news, and I noticed.

I personally "like" all the Stones, and don't fool myself that I know them, or that they're warm and fuzzy boy scouts (I wouldn't like them if they were).

favorite eras (in order):
1. Beggars Banquet thru Exile
2. Decembers Children thru Between the Buttons
3. Goats Head thru Black and Blue
4. Some Girls thru Tattoo You

Have read most of the books on the Stones. My bookshelves are filled with books on music--musicians, composers, bands, etc. So, not only Stones. I'm not a collector of memorabilia, but when memorabilia like photos, letters, lyric sheets, comes to my attention (like Brian's letters I posted) they're interesting to see because it helps color in the lines -- as well as shed new light on what we already know.

I'm a librarian by education. I'm geeky & hip by nature. I love to do deep dives into research about stuff, read what other people think, or are wondering about.

I'm not a writer, but I interview people as part of my work. I may put that to use in writing an article or two. Someday. Many people who knew the Stones (and were part of the 60s-70s scene) are dropping like flies and I hope to help document the history while it's still relatively easy.

I started writing projects in other phases of my life on Billie Holiday and the twin rise of hip-hop and punk in NYC (1975-82), either of which I may or may not return to. But that's why I say I may write an article or two. Sometimes research is the best part for me.

Not as much a fan of live Stones recordings, or of recent concerts. They seem too big for me and I'm not able to sense creativity popping at concerts as much as "performance," which is less compelling and enjoyable to me. I wish I'd caught them 30 years ago, but respect that many people adore seeing them live now. I love outtakes, rehearsals, and alternate versions of songs. Not a fan of boots of shows, tho some 1972 stuff grab me. And I do like Ya-Yas (tho obviously not a boot).

I met Mick once, briefly, as a teen. I'm fascinated with Keith, have one photo on my fridge, but haven't met him. John Lennon lived in my town, as did other famous people. I've met and occasionally known (not biblically!) various "famous" people over the years--last weekend had a cult music figure stay at my house cuz I know him, he knows how much I appreciate his music, and I have a guestroom. When young I thought I'd be an actress and be a peer of massive celebrities, but thank god I'm not. The life of a celebrity can be massively crappy. I live quietly and privately and am not "known" and will never be.

I'm a woman, music is one of the most important facets of my life, I still go to shows (not stadiums or giant concerts), tho I'm "old." I'm American (not Swiss - swiss is a nickname whose origin I would share w/anyone I meet in person) All my life I've had friends who are musicians. I listen to new and old music and think there's always amazing shit being created (thank god). There are few genres I can't find get into, once I hear what the best most talented people in that genre are trying to do. I challenge myself to learn new artists and genres, and am rarely disappointed.

I play piano and violin/fiddle (badly), sing in a chorus the shower and car.

I joined this list because it seemed like the busiest one, with some amaaaazing, intelligent, focused, fun, thought-provoking, noninflammatory discussions going on the rolling stones and others who swim in the same pond.

I'm on another Stones board too--some of you may recognize me by another name, and some of you may like me very much, and some of you may not like me, thinking me too analytical, too geeky, too liberal, not loose enough, whatever. Not my problem. I made the mistake of engaging on the other board once with an enraged stampeding ideologue on the topic of black people. Incidentally, I've dated and loved men of every race, age, and configuration you can dream of. And I'm a lily white Mayflower descendant to boot. But I won't engage thus again. If things start heading South, so to speak, I'll opt off posts or the board but I won't engage.

And what's your role here sweet neocon?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-24 03:43 by swiss.

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: September 24, 2009 03:21

I initially joined to discuss the 40th anniversary deluxe edition of Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!. However, I have poked around occasionally for several years.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 24, 2009 04:09

However, I have poked around occasionally for several years.

Maintain a high intake of cranberry juice .... some of those STD's can really bite ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: September 24, 2009 04:13

Thanks for the info Swiss! Well written...and interesting.

Studiorambo...I guess I should've said "new" = under 100..or 200 posts.

Welcome.

Any others?
Sweetcharmedlife's theory may be correct too.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 24, 2009 04:59

Great reading swiss

I noticed it too there are some poster from that post for 4 years and only had 5 posts

Date: September 24, 2009 05:15

Thanks, NICOS, I enjoy your posts smiling smiley

sweet neocon, glad I answered your Qs! are you the administrator?

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: September 24, 2009 09:07

Nah, he is the Withholder of Coolness.drinking smiley

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 24, 2009 09:36

swiss, thanks for the interesting introduction! our host/administrator here is bv (Bjornulf)

Posted by: Strike ()
Date: September 24, 2009 09:42

I don`t know wether I should hope for a last tour or should be afraid of. At this point I canĀ“t imagine seeing them again on stage.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: September 24, 2009 10:36

swiss
swiss is a nickname whose origin I would share w/anyone I meet in person

Reading your interesting post, my guess is you're as accurate as clockwork.
Or do you smell like cheese?

Welcome aboard, swiss. I'm always impressed by people who dive deep into research about stuff,
read what other people think, or are wondering about. There are some others on this board
(like the department of historical accuracy and some great guitar connaiseurs) who never
fail to amuse and amaze me with their encyclopedic knowledge.

It is always great to see the flame never dies and new people find motivation to keep
boards like these going strong.

Posted by: AngieBlue ()
Date: September 24, 2009 11:00

At 39 posts I guess that makes me 'new' even though I registered three years ago.

I don't remember exactly why I did now, other than my love for the Stones. This was the first message board I came across that had several active posters.

I had intended to post more, still do most days, but I have had a couple of small strokes in the last two and half years. Some days the brain just doesn't cooperate with the fingers to get anything written. And even when the brain does cooperate, sentences don't always make sense. So my apologies for any vague or poorly written posts.

Thanks to many of you I have found out about bootlegs that I didn't know existed before I found IORR and now own several. And lots of great pics that I hadn't seen. I also found another board through this one that I recently joined. So thanks for all...not sure my kids would say that...I seem to have used much of the hard drive in my Stones findings via the web.

Posted by: kingkirby ()
Date: September 24, 2009 11:21

Hi All,

I guess I'm another 'newbie', although I've actually been coming to this site for a few years now. I've been a Stones fan since I was a little kid, thanks to my mum; she used to go and see them play at Eel Pie Island, and I grew up listening to her copies of Let It Bleed and Through the Past, Darkly - she also had a great little collection of early singles...

Until I found this site, I actually had no idea there were so many Stones bootlegs available - I still vividly remember listening to the Trident Mixes for the first time and just being flabbergasted that there was so much unreleased music available from my favourite Stones period.

Musically speaking, my interest in the Stones pretty much finishes with Some Girls, but I was very happy to see them on the Steel Wheels tour, and lucky enough to be able to go backstage and meet Mick and Keith briefly before the gig. I distinctly remember Keith being deep in conversation with Peter Cook...

Nowadays although there's rarely anything on the download forum that I actively want to listen to, I still find myself dropping into the discussions most days, just to see what people are talking about. Very occasionally I'll chip in with a comment, but considering the amount of experts on this board, and some of the (very amusing) rows that flare up, I'm mostly just content to listen and learn...

Thanks to everybody, administrators and contributors, who help make this board the entertaining and fascinating place it is...

King Kirby

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: September 24, 2009 11:38

welcome to all newies

Posted by: studiorambo ()
Date: September 24, 2009 12:17

Rockman
However, I have poked around occasionally for several years.

Maintain a high intake of cranberry juice .... some of those STD's can really bite ...

Nice lol.

How many cases of the clap or whatever else do you think Keef has had? Jags and Billy Wyman are the band members with the big published 'stats, but I couldn't imagine Keef being too far behind. They must've picked up some things other than paternity suits.

Posted by: mariannerl ()
Date: September 24, 2009 13:28

Welcome to all newbies

@swiss: Are you swiss? I am.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: September 24, 2009 13:43

mariannerl
Welcome to all newbies

@swiss: Are you swiss? I am.
mariannerl :swiss wrote :<<I'm American ,not Swiss - swiss is a nickname>> winking smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: mariannerl ()
Date: September 24, 2009 13:53

Oh....thumbs up thank you SwayStones, did not read it carefully enough....excusez moi

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-24 13:54 by mariannerl.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: September 24, 2009 14:41

Nice reading Swiss and Kingkirby. You know some days this board makes me smile, some days angry but always keeps me informed. I like the fact that we are all different but share the same interest/s and I think that makes for lively, well rounded discussions on the whole without the back biting and nastiness that I have witnessed on other boards. On the whole people are respectful to each other on here and I have met some great people who post and had some very memorable, fun gig excursions with some of the board members here.

Laters folks

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Date: September 24, 2009 21:09

marcovandereijk
swiss
swiss is a nickname whose origin I would share w/anyone I meet in person

Reading your interesting post, my guess is you're as accurate as clockwork.
Or do you smell like cheese?

Neither: think more swiss as in army knife -- not just one facet.

Date: September 24, 2009 21:10

with sssoul
swiss, thanks for the interesting introduction! our host/administrator here is bv (Bjornulf)

Please allow me to introduce myself, Bjornulf, and to thank you v. much for this marvelous board.

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: September 24, 2009 22:33

well this is post #26 for me & I've been a Member for 3 Years myself, I mostly (obviously) Lurk.

I run MT's American Website, so this site is a Good Read

-GripweED

Date: September 24, 2009 22:40

gripweed

-GripweED

Hi GripweED

How cool you run MT's site. Do you know the answer to my Q on the post running today (OT: Hendrix' sister to open the vaults) about where that MT quote comes from? It's a long quite -- I think it's from Guitar magazine 1988 issue on Jimi Hendrix, but not at all sure. If you know, could you post to that thread? (cuz, as you probably know, someone was asking about MT and Hendrix)

- swiss

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: September 24, 2009 22:44

I really liked that post miss swiss.....cheers from farm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-24 22:45 by rooster.

Posted by: yorkey ()
Date: September 24, 2009 22:53

@swiss: Best introduction I've seen. I'm not a really old member here myself, but still, welcome to IORR!

You got the Sun, You got the Moon,
and you've got
The Rolling Stones

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: September 24, 2009 22:58

I'm not new...I'm new-ish, having joined a few years ago and only recently started posting. I very much like the level of politeness and respect here, all due to BV's management. smiling smiley

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 25, 2009 00:08

Bliss
I'm not new...I'm new-ish, having joined a few years ago and only recently started posting. I very much like the level of politeness and respect here, all due to BV's management. smiling smiley

i hate respect and politeness

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: September 25, 2009 00:12

swiss
gripweed

-GripweED

Hi GripweED

How cool you run MT's site. Do you know the answer to my Q on the post running today (OT: Hendrix' sister to open the vaults) about where that MT quote comes from? It's a long quite -- I think it's from Guitar magazine 1988 issue on Jimi Hendrix, but not at all sure. If you know, could you post to that thread? (cuz, as you probably know, someone was asking about MT and Hendrix)

- swiss

Hi Swiss, I'll have a look & see what I can find, if nothing else I can try & ask MT, one never knows ;-)

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: September 25, 2009 00:14

Yeah where the good old fights?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1490
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home