Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OKTOBER 12th: Hamburg, Germany - St. Pauly Theatre: Ben Waters with CHARLIE WATTS, Jools Holland, Axel Zwingenberger & Dave Green!!!!
Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: October 13, 2009 15:23

It was a fantastic evening. Everybody o on stage played well, I did not know what a great pianoplayer Jools holland is.

Re: OKTOBER 12th: Hamburg, Germany - St. Pauly Theatre: Ben Waters with CHARLIE WATTS, Jools Holland, Axel Zwingenberger & Dave Green!!!!
Posted by: turd ()
Date: October 13, 2009 16:12

Wow - Charlies drums !!

They are 1940's 'Slingerland Radio Kings' - similar to what Gene Krupa would have played back then. Nice big 26" bass drum.

No wonder Charlie asked to borrow these - they are mega rare, really serious drums.

Really really great photos BTW - thanks for posting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-13 16:14 by turd.

Posted by: Mr.Ed ()
Date: October 13, 2009 16:20

turd
Wow - Charlies drums !!

They are 1940's 'Slingerland Radio Kings' - similar to what Gene Krupa would have played back then. Nice big 26" bass drum.

No wonder Charlie asked to borrow these - they are mega rare, really serious drums.

Really really great photos BTW - thanks for posting.

Maybe Charlie should visit this site to buy a kit for his own:

[www.vintagedrumjunkies.com]

Mr.Ed

Re: OKTOBER 12th: Hamburg, Germany - St. Pauly Theatre: Ben Waters with CHARLIE WATTS, Jools Holland, Axel Zwingenberger & Dave Green!!!! [NOW WITH PICTURES!!!!!!]
Date: October 13, 2009 18:21

Any news links available about the ABC(D) Hamburg gig?

Mr.Ed

Charlie Watts im St.-Pauli-Theater Axel Zwingenberger lädt Stones-Drummer zum Kiez-Boogie
Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: October 13, 2009 18:37

Mr.Ed
Any news links available about the ABC(D) Hamburg gig?

Mr.Ed

Yes,

Charlie Watts im St.-Pauli-Theater
Axel Zwingenberger lädt Stones-Drummer zum Kiez-Boogie

Charlie Watts at the St. Pauli Theater
Axel Zwingenberger invites Stones Drummer to a Neighbourhood Boogie

[www.abendblatt.de]

Not much text though.

Re: OKTOBER 12th: Hamburg, Germany - St. Pauly Theatre: Ben Waters with CHARLIE WATTS, Jools Holland, Axel Zwingenberger & Dave Green!!!! [NOW WITH PICTURES!!!!!!]
Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: October 13, 2009 18:45

it's so funny, vince weber, zwingenberger, etc. - these guys play every year at a boogie festival in my small hometown [www.shakethelake.at] It would be so great to see charlie there!

Date: October 13, 2009 18:49

More pics here:

[www.bildmaschine.de]

Looks like a photographer offering these pics to the print media.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: October 13, 2009 18:55

Mr.Ed
turd
Mr Ed, regarding Charlies drums he borrowed for the gig, can you describe them, do you know what make they were, (not Gretsch?), colour etc ?

Charlie is very fussy about his drums, I am amazed he borrowed someone elses.

During the brake I took a close look at the stage.
It was not a Gretsch, there was a very small logo on the bassdrum. I could not read it.
The front of the bassdrum looked as if it was been wet and dirty, a bit marmered.
The Toms where white.
Hopefully there will surface some pics that give you more info.

Mr.Ed

Those drums look to be Radio Kings made by Slingerland, most likely in the mid 1950s. solid maple shells.

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 13, 2009 18:57

Thanks for the pictures smoking smiley

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 13, 2009 22:47

What a great evening, meeting some good friends again
and seeing and hearing Charlie playing so great! He really
is a better drummer than everyone "knows", he got so many
different sounds and rhythms out of that drum - and enjoyed
every second. In a Stones show he has to be more athletic, to
keep the pace for that singer and that rhythm guitar player.
But when he swings and boogies he can show how diverse his
style can be. I was stunned, watching him 90% of the show from
row 4.

Someone yelled "Charlie is good tonight!" -
Oh, yes, he was!

And here´s the tough one from yesterday. Took me a few frozen
fingers and the right moment after the show, when I headed back
in. There he was still onstage, chatting. Then he kneeled down
for a few diehards and signed some stuff. "Great show, Charlie!"
"Thanks!" he answered and wrote "Danke!" on the only sleeve
that seemed to fit for that moment. Thank you, Charlie!

Date: October 13, 2009 22:56

Lorenz
it's so funny, vince weber, zwingenberger, etc. - these guys play every year at a boogie festival in my small hometown [www.shakethelake.at] It would be so great to see charlie there!

Lorenz, is Richie Loidl your father/brother/uncle?

Date: October 14, 2009 10:46

Here are two more newspaper articles (Hamburger Abendblatt, Die Welt), in German only, however, I tried to translate a few lines.

"Charlie, spielst du das Stück bitte in F?"
"Charlie, would you play the next number in F, please?"
Statt an seinem Gretsch-Schlagzeug mit der markanten kleinen Bass-Drum saß der Rolling Stone am 40er-Jahre-Slingerland-Set von Axels Bruder Torsten. Hamburger Abendblatt
Instead of playing his own Gretsch drumkit with that distinctive liittle bass drum, the Rolling Stone played the 1940s Slingerland set of Axel's brother Torsten.

[www.abendblatt.de]

Ein Rolling Stone spürt glücklich seinen Wurzeln nach
A rejoicing Rolling Stone searching for his roots
Zu und zu schön anzuschauen, dass er auch ohne sie von der ersten bis zur 152. Minute aussah wie der glücklichste Mensch der Welt. Welt Online
Just too nice to see ... that from the first to the very last (152nd) minute (of the gig) he (CW) looked like the happiest man in the world.

[www.welt.de]

Date: October 14, 2009 11:57

Thanks dead flowers for the news links.

No clips on Youtube yet?

Here the ABC(D) performance in Later with Jools (with Jools....)

Mr.Ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-14 12:30 by Mr.Ed.

Posted by: riccardo99 ()
Date: October 14, 2009 18:53

Any chance of seeing something in future tv broadcasts?

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: October 14, 2009 19:22

hey thomas, no relation, but it's a common name in the region smiling smiley

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: October 14, 2009 22:59

Is there a more famous police station in the world than the legendary Davidswache? Well, the intimate theatre was right next to it.

Looking much happier after dinner smiling smiley

OKTOBER 12th: Hamburg, Germany - St. Pauly Theatre: Ben Waters with CHARLIE WATTS, Jools Holland, Axel Zwingenberger & Dave Green! [NOW WITH PICTURES!]
Date: October 15, 2009 10:56

...also in my opinion he was great that night smoking smiley. Funny to see me and my Friend on the last picture spinning smiley sticking its tongue out. I'm the one with the camera on the left side and my "Stones-Buddy" hold "Let it bleed" in his hands...

Re: St. Pauli Theater - Oct 12, 2009 - Boogie Night with Charlie Watts, Axel Zwingenberger, Ben Waters, Dave Green, Jools Holland, Lila Ammons
Date: October 15, 2009 11:24

Hi, latvianinexile, thank you for the beautiful pics. Do you happen to have more shots of the last scene (Charlie leaving the place)? If so, I would be glad if you could mail them to me or put them here on the board. smiling bouncing smiley Me and dead.flowers jr were also in that crowd, and would be nice to see ourselves in such a snapshot.

PS: Davidwache: The local patriots here proudly refer to it as such a famous place. However, I am not sure if it really is the most famous police station in the world. BTW, I am from Hamburg, you too?

Date: October 15, 2009 20:01

latvianinexile

Man, what a hustle after the show ... that guy with the red bag was trying
to "manage" it all, but failed from beginning to end.

Great pics, thanks.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: October 15, 2009 23:58

Dig that cool leather jacket!

Date: October 16, 2009 12:48

Beast
Dig that cool leather jacket!

beautiful piece

Date: October 17, 2009 18:33

It's wonderful to see Charlie enjoying himself, playing the drums at a small venue. CHARLIE looks great! Please, if anyone was there and wrote it down, can you post the setlist?

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: October 17, 2009 19:32

Sorry, I did not know all pieces before, some were jammed, others old Blues and Boogie, a song we all know was Down the Road apiece.

Re: St. Pauly Theatre: Ben Waters with CHARLIE WATTS - NOW WITH PICTURES!
Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: October 18, 2009 00:27

Is there any news of a comercial release of some of these shows, DVD or CD .
I saw them on Later With Joools on BBC 2 a couple of weeks ago and enjoyed the music very much, would be nice to have something permanent by them to listen to .

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: October 18, 2009 10:42

Very nice pictures again. Thanks for posting

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: October 19, 2009 09:26

Hello,

Just recieved a personal message from Torsten Zwingenberger, brother of Axel and owner of the drumkit that Charlie used in Hamburg last monday.
He probably reads Tell Me or is notified by someone else.
He said that I could post it here so here it is:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Mr. Ed,

my name Torsten Zwingenberger, the owner of the Slingerland Radio King drumkit, which was played by Charlie Watts at the concert in Hamburg, St. Pauli Theater with my brother Axel Zwingenberger, Jool Hollends, Ben Waters, Dave Green and Lila Ammons.

All informations about the drumkit and myself you will find on my website [www.drumming5point.com]

By the way, Charlie was very enthusiastic about my kit. He used my complete equipment and took just his own cymbals and bassdrumfoodedal with him.
It was a real pleasure for me to work with him. I also organised a spontanious jamsession with the whole ABC and D of Boogie Woogie gang at Hamburg's first private jazzclub named "Birdland" at the night before the St. Pauli Theater concert. It was real fun to see, that Charlie got more and more used to my drums and played ca. 70 minutes without an intermission on this session.

I hope, many Rolling Stones fans like to visit my homepage ( it's also in English ) and will also watch my videos on Youtube

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

You can put this on the Stones- webblog

Yours "zwingingly"

Torsten Zwingenberger

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well obviously Charlie was already one day earlier in Hamburg to Jam with Torsten en to get more used to his drumkit.
Anybody any more info about this jammsession?

Mr.Ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-19 09:40 by Mr.Ed.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: October 19, 2009 09:33

cool pics! i love the one of him marching down the sidewalk with his entourage - about to run straight into a little boy.

Date: October 19, 2009 11:24

Then TZ sat right next to me, now I recognize him. Great that he reads this
page. And maybe he can help us out with the setlist? smiling bouncing smiley

Date: October 19, 2009 11:29

TooTough
Then TZ sat right next to me, now I recognize him. Great that he reads this
page. And maybe he can help us out with the setlist? smiling bouncing smiley

I will ask him.

Mr.Ed

Posted by: turd ()
Date: October 19, 2009 12:51

Mr Ed, Thanks for posting Torstens message. The drumming on his wesite is breathtaking - he's a very unique, creative/inventive drummer. Just amazing.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1310
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home