Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: St. Pauli Theater - Oct 12, 2009 - Boogie Night with Charlie Watts, Axel Zwingenberger, Ben Waters, Dave Green, Jools Holland, Lila Ammons
Posted by: dead.flowers ()
Date: October 19, 2009 16:04

Here's another report about this gig. By the German newspaper Die Welt/ Welt Online:

[www.welt.de]

A Rolling Stone drums himself free

By Olaf Dittmann 18th October 2009, 04:00 hrs

Since 1963 Charlie Watts is the drummer with The Rolling Stones. But his “lesson” named the "ABC of Boogie Woogie" at the St. Pauli Theater on Monday night acted like a liberation.

World Star in the Neighbourhood

Finally another band! Among his co-musicians were Axel Zwingenberger of Hamburg as well as the Britons Ben Waters and Jools Holland, all of whom treated the piano with virtuosity. But Charlie Watts repeatedly upstaged them all by the way he kept beaming and making faces during his powerful play, as though he was overwhelmingly rejoicing to be finally returning to his musical roots.
Gratitued is well adviseable: Boogie Woogie is considered the historic base of Blues and Rock'n'Roll. While with the latter Charlie Watts, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and the other Stones have made miillions. Watts, who was born in England in 1941, joined the band only a year after their foundation in 1962, however, he is among the hard core of the band up-to-date. He successfully overcame his alcohol addiction in the 1970s and 80s. What a luck: The guests of the St. Pauli-Theater could proof on Monday the ungovernable energy of this rock grandad. The Boogie-Woogie-sextet was completed by bassist Dave Green and singer Lila Ammons. At the end of the concert, that lastet a two-and-a-half hours net, the audience of about 500 bid the musicians farewell with standing ovations.

Ein Rolling Stone trommelt sich frei

Von Olaf Dittmann 18. Oktober 2009, 04:00 Uhr

Seit 1963 trommelt Charlie Watts bei den Stones. Doch seine Schulstunde zum "ABC of Boogie Woogie" am Montagabend im St. Pauli-Theater wirkte jetzt wie eine Befreiung. Seit 1963 trommelt Charlie Watts bei den Stones. Doch seine Schulstunde zum "ABC of Boogie Woogie" am Montagabend im St. Pauli-Theater wirkte jetzt wie eine Befreiung.

Weltstar auf dem Kiez

Endlich eine andere Band! Unter den Mitmusikanten waren der Hamburger Axel Zwingenberger sowie die Briten Ben Waters und Jools Holland, die allesamt virtuos die Pianotasten bearbeiteten. Doch Charlie Watts stahl ihnen oft die Schau - zu sehr strahlte und grimassierte er während seines energetischen Spiels, als freue er sich unbändig, endlich zu seinen musikalischen Wurzeln zurückkehren zu können.
Dankbarkeit ist durchaus angebracht: Boogie Woogie gilt als historische Basis von Blues und Rock'n'Roll. Und mit Letzterem verdienten Charlie Watts, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards und die anderen Stones Millionen. Der 1941 in England geborene Watts kam erst ein Jahr nach der Gründung 1962 zur Band, gehört bis heute aber zur Stammbesetzung. Seine Alkoholabhängigkeit in den 70er- und 80er-Jahren konnte er überwinden. Welch ein Glück: Die Gäste des St. Pauli-Theaters konnten sich am Montag von der unbändigen Energie des Rock-Opas überzeugen. Das Boogie-Woogie-Sextett vervollständigten der Bassist Dave Green und die Sängerin Lila Ammons. Am Schluss des netto zweieinhalb Stunden dauernden Konzertes verabschiedeten die rund 500 Zuhörer die Musiker mit Standing Ovations.

edit: translation German to English: d.f

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-20 12:37 by dead.flowers.

Re: St. Pauly Theatre: Ben Waters with CHARLIE WATTS - NOW WITH PICTURES!
Posted by: Mr.Ed ()
Date: October 20, 2009 11:00

Thank you very much for the news links dead.flowers.
The DVD with the episode of Later with Jools (with interview CW + 1 ABCD song and 1 ABCDJ song) will be posted today.

No reply yet from Torsten about the setlist and other questions...... ;-)

Mr.Ed

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-10-20 11:01 by Mr.Ed.

Posted by: latvianinexile ()
Date: October 20, 2009 12:20

The setlist included before mentioned Down The Road Apiece and also Call It Stormy Monday.

The secod half of the show featured some songs from the new album of Axel Zwingeberger and Lila Ammons "Lady Sings The Boogie Woogie".

Other songs they had never rehearsed or played together before. Axel just signalised to the bass player that the next song is going to be in the key of F or so and they got going.

There are so many instrumental boogie woogie numbers around that I doubt that anybody will be able to recall the whole setlist, if he's not an expert on boogie woogie or Axel's music.

Date: October 21, 2009 22:51

Hello,

I recieved a reply from Torsten Zwingenberger.
Unfortunatly he can't help us with the setlits.
Someone already stated here that there will be probably no setlist at all.

As bonus he attached 2 pictures (BIG Thanx to Torsten) from the jamsession a day before the gig in the St.Pauli Theatre.
These pictures may not be used commercially as Torsten states in his reply.
Threfore I only uploaded 2 copies in a smaller resolution then the originals.

Here is Torsten's reply and the 2 pictures:

------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Eddy,

we have no informations by Charlie about any future plans (new CD, new Tour) of The Rolling Stones during our time together in that Birdland jazzclub.
I'm sure, he wouldn't even tell us. And we didn't ask.

There is also no setlist of the St. Pauli Theater concert. Sorry, that I can't help you.

But in my attachement, I send to you 2 pictures of the jamsession at the Hamburg Birdland with Ben, Jools, Axel and Dave, Charlie and me together on my drumkit. By the way, Charlie checked the drums for about 70 minutes, playing together with ABC and D of Boogie Woogie and a couple of songs with Lila Ammons. For the concert next day, he decided to use the snaredrum right next to him on his left side ( I have 2 Slingerland Radio King snaredrums for choice ).

These 2 pictures are not for commercial publishing without permission by the photographer Christa Brockmann. Please mention this, if you put these fotos on your webblog.

The session at Birdland was just with the musicians and very few relatives and friends of the musicians and the Birdland owner Dieter Reichert, who was so kind, to open his club spontaniously just for us.

"Zwingingly" yours

TEASY (TZ) Torsten Zwingenberger

------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr.Ed

Posted by: marvpeck ()
Date: October 21, 2009 23:55

The front head on the bass drum is a Radio King!
I'm pretty sure it's been a while since those were made.
Marv

Marv Peck

Y'all remember that rubber legged boy

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: October 22, 2009 16:58

Charlie Watts arrived in Hamburg a day before the concert to rehearse, the evening in the St.Pauli theater was better prepared than some ABB shows, so we might get a recording with the ABC and D of Boogie Woogie! That would be great.

Date: October 22, 2009 20:27

windmelody
Charlie Watts arrived in Hamburg a day before the concert to rehearse,

Yep, that was already posted on october 19 with the email from Torsten Zwingenberger.

windmelody
the evening in the St.Pauli theater was better prepared than some ABB shows, so we might get a recording with the ABC and D of Boogie Woogie! That would be great.

Why do you think they would do that?
Do you think they recorded the St.Paili show?
There will be a BBC Radio session with Jools.
Maybe that will be released officially later on.

Mr.Ed

Date: October 22, 2009 23:53

Dear mr.Ed,
first of all thankyou for spreading the news about the Hamburg gig, it was a joyful evening. I do not think the St.Pauli concert was recorded, yet Charlie Watts and the others were prepared well for the concert, so somekind of release of another concert would be possible. I have neither contacts nor information, so I do not want to spread false rumours.

Date: October 12, 2010 11:04

windmelody
...we might get a recording with the ABC and D of Boogie Woogie! That would be great.

Mr.Ed
There will be a BBC Radio session with Jools.
Maybe that will be released officially later on.

...just a question in general (so not about that Sankt Pauli gig in particular): has there been any news about a CD-release of "the ABC (& D?) of boogie woogie"?

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 12, 2010 11:19

Exactly one year ago.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: October 12, 2010 11:27

MississippiBullfrog
...just a question in general (so not about that Sankt Pauli gig in particular):
has there been any news about a CD-release of "the ABC (& D?) of boogie
woogie
"?

from nzentgraf.de

01/17/10:

Charlie Watts does some touring with Axel Zwingenberger, Ben Waters and Dave
Green as The ABC & D Of Boogie Woogie. On their current (short) European Tour
they sell a studio-CD with 19 boogie woogie-tracks at the gigs (although Ben
Waters is for whatever reasons absent on this recording). Hopefully this album
will also be in the shops soon. Available here (from March 12 onwards).

CD by Axel Zwingenberger, Dave Green, Charlie Watts "The Magic Of Boogie Woogie"
(Vagabond VRCD 8.10035).

Date: October 12, 2010 11:37

...Cheerz!

["I can hear the Bullfrog calling me..."]

Date: October 12, 2010 15:10

It is one year ago, and it was a joyful night! Funny that this thread turns up again just in time.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: October 12, 2010 23:29

Your pics & reviews are just great !
It's a shame I missed Charlie's gigs last time he was in Paris.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1776
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home