Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Leonard Cohen OK after collapsing on stage
Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: September 19, 2009 17:29

From BBC NEWS:

BBC NEWS

Singer Leonard Cohen is recovering after collapsing on stage in Spain, a spokesman for his music company says.

Cohen, 74, became ill during a concert in Valencia and was taken to hospital as a precaution. He has been discharged and is said to have had food poisoning.

His final Spanish concert will go ahead in Barcelona on Monday, organisers say.

Cohen was in the middle of singing his song Bird On The Wire in Valencia when he fainted, prompting the band to stop playing and rush to help him.

The Canadian singer was treated first by stadium medical staff and then taken by ambulance to a local hospital.

He was given the all-clear in the early hours of Saturday.

A band member told the crowd Cohen had suffered stomach cramps and vomiting fits.

After Spain, Cohen is due to perform in Florida on 17 October.

The legendary artist resumed touring last year after a lengthy break.

Get well soon, Leonard

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Re: OT: Leonard Cohen OK after collapsing on stage
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 19, 2009 17:48

It's a shame he has to work so hard at his age, but, as he readily admits, he needs the money because his business manager ripped him off while he was a monk.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: September 19, 2009 19:42

Hope he gets well soon. Must have been a scary experience to have seen him collapse like that.

Date: September 19, 2009 19:46

Lenny faints at 3:28

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-19 19:46 by Gazza.

Date: September 19, 2009 21:28

Pretty scary to watch that video. Thanks anyway Gazza for posting it.

-------------------

Posted by: Ringo ()
Date: September 19, 2009 23:01

Posted by: milio77 ()
Date: September 19, 2009 23:12

I didn't know about this incident. I'm glad he's ok now.

Last weekend he was sublime in Madrid. Maybe he's old and it's only in it for the money but he delivers in a way one couldn't imagine. Three hours of pure magic and all of his classics in a row peformed with absolute passion. He's one of the greatest, no doubt about it for me.

Some younger bands should follow the example.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: September 19, 2009 23:12

I'm glad he is alright - But I DO NOT GET THIS MAN!!!

Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: September 19, 2009 23:15

I hope you get well soon Len.

My brother used to tell this story about The Sisters of Mercy (the song, not the group).

This was back in the sixties in Edmonton. As he tells it, After seeing Leonard in concert he went to a party with these two women that he knew very well from university and things were going really well. Until . . . Leonard shows up at the party and moves in on both of these women and ends up leaving with them both.

According to my brother, Cohen stayed over at the women's apartment that night and in the morning he had written a song for them that he played: The Sisters of Mercy.

So for years my brother would tell of how the song The Sisters of Mercy came about because he had taken these women to this party, who were picked up by Leonard Cohen, etc.

Of course we all had a hard time believing him, as it sounded rather fantastical. But sure enough, when Cohen rereleased the song on his greatest hits album he included a paragraph describing how he came to write the song and he details how it was written in Edmonton (where my brother was at the time) after he had stayed the night with these two women.

Date: September 20, 2009 00:04

Cool story camper88

-------------------

Posted by: Floorbird ()
Date: September 20, 2009 02:41

Good to see band members coming to his aid, I bet alot of bands would keep playing and let the roadies clean up the mess.

Date: September 20, 2009 03:40

milio77
I didn't know about this incident. I'm glad he's ok now.

Last weekend he was sublime in Madrid. Maybe he's old and it's only in it for the money but he delivers in a way one couldn't imagine. Three hours of pure magic and all of his classics in a row peformed with absolute passion. He's one of the greatest, no doubt about it for me.

Some younger bands should follow the example.

Yep.

I dont think hes only in it for the money, in fairness. If he's playing for something like 160-165 minutes each night, that would indicate a serious degree of dedication. Considering his age (he's 75 on Monday - the day of his next scheduled show), I dont think anyone would begrudge the man playing shows an hour shorter.

Saw him twice this tour - Dublin in June 2008 and Belfast 6 weeks ago, and the shows were absolutely wonderful. I JUST missed meeting him by about 5 minutes too when he was here in July, and have been kicking myself ever since. My mate was luckier and said he was an absolute pleasure to chat with. He did add that he does look quite frail however - but then again, everyone says that about Charlie, dont they?

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: September 20, 2009 04:11

Kurt Cobain turned me on to him.

Give me a Leonard Cohen afterward - so I can sigh eternally...

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: September 20, 2009 07:36

Gazza
I dont think hes only in it for the money, in fairness. If he's playing for something like 160-165 minutes each night, that would indicate a serious degree of dedication. Considering his age (he's 75 on Monday - the day of his next scheduled show), I dont think anyone would begrudge the man playing shows an hour shorter.

He said in a recent New Yorker magazine article that he is doing this tour because he is broke. I believe that by going on such a long tour, at his age, after not having toured at all for 15 years, he is risking his health. Because he is broke, the ticket prices have to be high, and because the ticket prices are high, the shows are three hours long. Lenny thinks that by doing a long show he's at least giving his fans a worthwhile experience for their hard earned money, but he shouldn't be doing three hour shows at his age. You're right. He should be doing shorter shows (and a shorter tour).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-20 07:38 by tatters.

Date: September 20, 2009 16:29

Fair analysis, tatters - hopefully that means the Stones will be playing ten hour sets next time out!

Date: September 21, 2009 01:00

Well, the man himself admitted he returned to the scene because he was broke. But of course, there could be some further motivation considering the way he gives himself at every gig. For what I could see, he enjoys performing on stage.

But that's Leonard Cohen, and ironic kind of man that probably won't confess all of his real motivations.

And after all, no musician goes on tour if there is no economical profit wich is legitimate, it's their work, that's how they make a living. At least he's one of the few who openly admits it. And he is honest enough to make you feel that the ticket money was well spent money.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: September 21, 2009 11:58

Gazza
Fair analysis, tatters - hopefully that means the Stones will be playing ten hour sets next time out!

Or at least Ronnie! It is funny to imagine that after 2 hours Mick announces that the RS show is over, but Ronnie will play for another hour to earn some money for his divorce. smiling smiley

Anyway, I didn't go to see Leonard Cohen, in fact because of the ticket prices. I quite regret it I have to say, but I would get really really bad ticket for money that I guess I should get some FOS ticket. The good tickets were really too expensive. But I kind of understand it - what tatters wrote really makes good sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-21 12:02 by Happy24.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: September 21, 2009 12:11

Happy24
Gazza
Anyway, I didn't go to see Leonard Cohen, in fact because of the ticket prices. I quite regret it I have to say, but I would get really really bad ticket for money that I guess I should get some FOS ticket. The good tickets were really too expensive. But I kind of understand it - what tatters wrote really makes good sense.

Same for me. I just couldn't / wouldn't affortd it.
The prices were just insane for a huge arena like Bercy
The olympia shows were better priced, even if very expensive too.
At least people seem to get someting great for the money they pay.

Date: September 21, 2009 19:06

I was hesitating myself and finally bought my ticket quite late, meaning one of the cheapest of the very few that were still available and in an awful seat. It turned out to be the right choice. Huge video screens helped me to follow what was going on on stage, and the sound (what really matters) was amazingly good, so can't complain.

After all, considering ticket prices these days, it wasn't that expensive and there always was a much cheaper but worse option... not going. A worthwhile experience from the beginning to the end.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1414
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home