Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Record shopping in London, Paris and Amsterdam
Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: September 16, 2009 21:16

I'm heading over to London in a couple of weeks (three nights of Mott the Hoople-pinch me !) and then on to Paris and Amsterdam. Can anyone recommend good record shops in any of these three cities ? I've done my research on the internet but just thought I'd ask on here as well. Last time I was in London was '88 and Portobello Road and Camden Market were the places to go for the harder to find stuff, if you know what I mean ('course it was all vinyl and live tapes back then). Either posting on here or, if it's illicit goods, emailing me ([email protected]) is very much appreciated. Oh yeah, guitar shops too ! A friend told me Rick's Rare Guitars in Denmark Street is a treasure trove......

Re: OT: Record shopping in London, Paris and Amsterdam
Posted by: franzk ()
Date: September 16, 2009 21:18

As far as London:

[www.iorr.org]

I hope all of these shops still exist. I was there one year ago and bought some great stuff. Good luck with your shopping thumbs up

Date: September 16, 2009 21:33

That's great, thanks Franz !

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: September 16, 2009 21:58

Been to London 3 weeks ago and the best place for bootlegs (vinyl in my case) was Cambden Lock - cheap (around 10 - 12 Pounds each) and plenty available. On Berwick Street I found nothing at all - only the "usual" stuff which is cheaper on Ebay.

If you find something special please let me know as I'll be there again in December and I'd love to go new places then.

Date: September 16, 2009 22:03

Will do, silkcut. Yeah, I was actually hoping to find some of the recent vinyl titles that I believe are coming out of Europe are they not ? Am I right in thinking Camden is happening on Saturdays as well as Sundays ? We're leaving Sunday and what I recall from the 80's is that there were far more sellers there on Sunday, hopefully that is not the case.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 17, 2009 00:06

Stand Out, off Portobello Road in west London, run by Bill Allerton. Great for psych, r'n'b, vinyl etc. It's a tiny, legendary rock'n'roll shop that is only open on Fridays and Saturdays. While you're in the are visit Intoxica on Portobello Road too.

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: September 17, 2009 07:44

I was there on Saturday (Cambden) and you are right, I've got many of the European releases (like "Each Stone Unplugged", "All Down The Line" ) that I never bought on Ebay for being too expensive there. Maybe I'm wrong but the market was crowded on Saturday and I can't imagine any more sellers/people there on Sunday.

Good luck to you!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-17 07:45 by silkcut1978_.

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: September 17, 2009 08:19

amsterdam: Record Palace on Weteringschans, opposite Paradiso

[www.paulinestroosnijder.com]

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: September 17, 2009 09:22

Paris :
Monster Melodies, rue des dechargeurs (Les Halles district)
Paralleles (books and records) in the district of Les Halles : see here Paralleles

Crocodisc : www.crocodisc.com/

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-17 09:23 by Doc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1779
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home