Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Love is Strong
Posted by: Bone Machine ()
Date: August 6, 2005 19:08

How many people on this board think Love is Strong never got it’s recognition or air play that it deserved. I think it’s a great song, I can almost hear it on Some Girls. The background vocals on the chorus are so deep and Haunting, the guitar work is outstanding and mixed well. You can hear different guitar tracks mixed in and weaved together and Mick’s vocals are awesome. To me it should have been a bigger hit.

Re: Love is Strong
Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: August 6, 2005 19:11

I agree, I love this song!

Belgrade-Bucharest-Budapest-Brno

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: August 6, 2005 20:32

Love is Strong = Classic Stones,,,all the ingredients are there,,,,hope they do that 1 this tour

Posted by: jumpinjackgreg ()
Date: August 6, 2005 20:51

i agree. I love this song. I would say it's my fave off of VL but out of tears is so good too. I would die a happy man if i got to see them perform it live. Although, I seem to remember someone saying once it didn't work well live. Is this true? I also heard this about Anybody Seen My Baby?. It would be cool to see them play that too.

Posted by: stonecowboy ()
Date: August 6, 2005 20:56

Great song and Great album..much underrated.

Lots of poeple ignore Stone music in the last fifteen years or so and get wrapped up in past albums. Not good--

"STONECOWBOY"

Posted by: RankOutsider ()
Date: August 6, 2005 21:21

We've been through this before, but I think it's a great song too.

I ain't stupid, I'm just guitarded.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: August 6, 2005 21:39

Anybody seen my baby doesn't work live indeed. Love is strong could work well, i like the Oakland Halloween '94 version!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Date: August 6, 2005 21:46

hey JJkreg ,,if ya want a great live version of love is strong ,check out the voodoo lounge in japan 95 dvd,,also on their is a great Sweet Virginia,

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: August 6, 2005 21:54

It is one of their worst songs ever. So obviously manufactured. The dull drums, the plodding bass, the stupid words...... and the childish "ooh, ooh, oohs".

No guitar interaction. Some Girls' tracks sounded live. LIS sounds dead. Well done Don Was!

Oh yeah, really haunting!

Embarassing.

Posted by: Jimmie ()
Date: August 6, 2005 21:57

It´s a song that has grown on me through the years. Great one with very sexy Jagger-vocal

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: August 6, 2005 22:27

It's a good tune but I wouldn't like to hear it live,I'd much rather hear some old forgotten gems.The Stones neglect their 1966-1967 period even though it gave birth to many great classics.Maybe they'd better think of that period.

Posted by: Jimmie ()
Date: August 6, 2005 23:37

Ride on baby
Citadel
Mothers little helper
Dandelion
Miss amanda Jones
Connection
Flight 505
Stupid girl.. and so on.. wow.. would be great to hear live.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: August 7, 2005 00:22

It's a good song, but isn't it just a re-hash of Keith's own "Wicked As It Seems" from Main Offender?

Date: August 7, 2005 00:25

Its a Cousin

Date: August 7, 2005 00:29

In my opinion Wicked as it seems is a better tune.Keith sounds really mean on that one

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: August 7, 2005 00:54

stones_serb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In my opinion Wicked as it seems is a better
> tune.Keith sounds really mean on that one

I agree - never really liked LIS. The song just kinda "sits there." Disappointed to hear it's been rehearsed this year...was hoping to have heard the last of it live.

Date: August 7, 2005 01:00

Yeah they'd better dig out the goldies instead

Date: August 7, 2005 01:01

Yeah, it's a dud. Re-hashed Keith riff, with some 'scary, menacing' scoolboy lyrics and a spectacularly dull drum and bass sound. Harmonica hook is good though.

Anyone who finds this song haunting should not go out alone at night. Tuck yourself up in bed before 10 pm with a nice romantic novel and a cup of hot chocolate.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: August 7, 2005 01:05

It's a underated tune! Love to see them play it

Date: August 7, 2005 07:53

Four Stone Walls must be keeping the music from getting through, because this song rocks like a son of a bit@*.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: August 7, 2005 09:02

agreed - if he had 2 more stone walls - he'd have a perfect tomb

Posted by: ChelseaDrugstore ()
Date: August 7, 2005 09:57

LIS is a cool cut. Keith obviously was digging that type groove back then since his other hit of the time was identical (WAIS) I think it is underrated too. Jagger once again is fab on harmonica. Whenever jagger plays harp he is at his best.

Date: August 7, 2005 13:09

If you think it rocks - you must not have outgrown your cradle.

It's worse than kindergarten stuff. "Na, na, na......na, na, na nah." etc.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: August 7, 2005 15:08

Basically it´s Keith´s Wicked As It Seems, but Jagger had the final thoughts on it (harmonica, low voice). The video is really cool and made them a lot of new younger fans via MTV.

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: August 7, 2005 16:16

Four Stone Walls Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone who finds this song haunting should not go
> out alone at night. Tuck yourself up in bed before
> 10 pm with a nice romantic novel and a cup of hot
> chocolate.

that gave me a hearty laugh!! thanks four stone walls. (and by the way, i have mixed emotions about this track ... good intro, love mick's harp, as always, but there is an inertness to the track that is a little disappointing, and the lyrics are a bit weak...)

drew

Posted by: dennysmith61 ()
Date: August 7, 2005 18:39

AGREE ut this is what happerns to a classic artist.

Some of Johnny Cash's best stuff was released on his last few C D'S

Yet no one would play it.

poeople love the old stuff and young fans don't want to hear new music from classic rockers

Although I think this time it may be different

With the war and craziness we need this

And there is an excitement in the air

People realize this probally is the last time

Problem is no matter what they do they can only relicate the past but not touch or pass it.

Love is strong imagine if made by new band?

Posted by: Bone Machine ()
Date: August 7, 2005 19:08

LOL! When I said haunting I didn’t mean I was scared, it was a figure of speech. I still think it blows anything away on Undercover, Dirty Work, Steel Wheels and B2B.

Yes it sounds a lot like “Wicked” but it’s Keith’s open-G sound. But I will admit I didn’t like it live.

Posted by: rod ()
Date: August 7, 2005 23:01

live version from mtv awards '94 is the greatest!!
incredible guitars mix!

Date: August 8, 2005 07:29

And who cares about the lyric's, we're talking about rock 'n' roll right? You can sing 'boom badda boom' and if it's got the right beat/feel it works.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: August 8, 2005 10:43

I liked it very much at the time when it came out, with that cool video, the harmonica, Mick's new way to sing, unusually distinctive guitars ... It was strong opening in Voodoo, too. I remember listening it with Walkman, and how cool and strong it sounded.

But honestly, I don't think it is a very strong song in itself; time hasn't treated it and it's simple-minded production very well. In the context of Forty Licks it sounded like a filler; an obligatory representative of the later days of The Stones. It doesn't have the quality to be reminded as one of the big numbers of the band. Just only one of the many replicas of the simple, basic elements. Plus the lyrical content, starting from the title, being perhaps the weakest ever.

But I wouldn't mind hear it live; drop for instance boring "You Got Me Rocking Me" for make it some room.

- Doxa

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1528
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home