Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: The Rolling Stone who's stony broke
Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 15, 2009 03:00

What is comes down to is honor. It has nothing to do with Mick T's personal life and what he choose to do with his career. It comes down to some insecure and dishonest folks who could very easily do the right thing but don't. Shame on them!

Date: September 15, 2009 04:25

Isn't there a blogger here who oversees Mick T's website? Perhaps they could shed some light on the matter...
I read earlier that he was quite content and had zero regrets about leaving the Stones. Even though he sounds passive or even depressed at this time, looks like he's not gonna allow monies to go unpaid.
More Stones news in the press than ever... What next?!!

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 15, 2009 05:56

Wanton Witch of the Côte
Isn't there a blogger here who oversees Mick T's website? Perhaps they could shed some light on the matter...
I read earlier that he was quite content and had zero regrets about leaving the Stones. Even though he sounds passive or even depressed at this time, looks like he's not gonna allow monies to go unpaid.
More Stones news in the press than ever... What next?!!

I believe the poster on here by the name of gripweed runs the Mick Taylor site.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: September 15, 2009 07:13

Again it doesn't really matter if he was happy about leaving The Stones, he did, and wanted to at the time. The fact they don't pay him and try to shaft him out of what he is due is what is disturbing. This isn't an old story rehashed, it is current and was also posted here:
[www.rockdaily.com]

Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: September 15, 2009 07:30

Yes Mick should pay Taylor what he has coming. But then Mick is tight with money, I think money has taken over his life. I think they should give him his money before he sues or before Taylor has health problems.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: September 15, 2009 07:49

Carnaby
As he points out himself, he didn't like the music, which is obvious if you ever listened to him ruin the Stones doing a live Chuck Berry song. He didn't fit, as, again, he points out. Good riddance.

jeezum crow Carnaby; ever listen to ya-yas? i'd give it a spin if i were you.
check out bye bye johnnie from L&G??? how bout o carol? how about signature riffs and elements in Brown Sugar and Honkey Tonk Women and All Down the Line...
... ruin a stones song?

u a stones fan right?
confused smiley

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: September 15, 2009 07:56

Sad article, if any of it's true. We all know the Stones are not charity queens and it is "out of sight - out of mind" to anyone who falls out of the circle.

Sorry to sound harsh, but how many other people expect to still get paid for work they did forty years ago? Mick T will be waiting a long time if he expects a hand-out of any kind from Jagger. I'm surprised he was still getting paid in 1982.

Mick T is struggling with the same problems that happen to anyone who suddenly finds their career in show business in a nose dive. Look at all the former child stars. But in the end, it's ultimately his own responsibility to make his own music career and life. I hope his life gets better than this article depicts.

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: September 15, 2009 15:28

Angus MacBagpipe
Sorry to sound harsh, but how many other people expect to still get paid for work they did forty years ago? Mick T will be waiting a long time if he expects a hand-out of any kind from Jagger. I'm surprised he was still getting paid in 1982.

So, if you follow that way of reasoning the Beatles and Bob Dylan should not whine too much if the recordlabels start taking all the profit for the albums they recorded in the 60s and 70s.
If the recordcompany forgets to pay them for thousand of copies that are sold this week they should not really mind because the work they did in the recording studio is such a long time ago... ?

You're missing the point if you suggest Mick T is waiting for a hand out. It's money that's he's entitled to according to the legal agreement he made in 1970 with his bandmates. The Stones (at least Jagger/Loewenstein) have known all along (27 years) they were wrongfully withholding these royalties from him. Maybe they didn't think they would hear from him again regarding this unresolved issue but it's not that they were not aware of it.
Anyway, the article had nothing to do with Mick T and he did not give an interview to the Daily Mail. For all these years he has taken great care to preserve his dignity and has never publicly pointed his finger at the Stones (even when there were plenty of reasons to). So I'm sure he had not wanted this to be printed.

Date: September 15, 2009 15:39

<So, if you follow that way of reasoning the Beatles and Bob Dylan should not whine too much if the recordlabels start taking all the profit for the albums they recorded in the 60s and 70s.>

I haven't read the contract, but I think it stated "...band members...". Since he chose to quit he's not a band member anymore, and that may be one of the reasons they stopped paying after the catalouge moved to another label? I dunno...

Posted by: nanker's phelge ()
Date: September 15, 2009 16:18

he quit of his own accord and didn't regret it
he clearly stated that if he stayed he would have died-so in effect he made the correct decision if in fact being alive is what he now enjoys, as it seems

that said.....

there are many things he could do to rectify his situation

1.hire a lawyer pro bono in an atempt to regain some cash from songs that he helped write but was never given credit for.

2.Before he hires said lawyer approach the stones again and ask to be taken care of as a past member/family/fratenity member.
the proceeds of one stadium show would correct this man's life till death if he invested the proceeds wisely.The stones have no reservation paying hubert sumlin's bills or donating to countless charities so at this point wouldn't it stand to reason that they could share something for MT's retirement?
@#$%& all, keith has so many guitars he is thinking about opening a goddam museum....why not auction off half of them and set up a trust fund for MT.Out of all the Stones Keith seems the most generous....and I could easily picture this happening.Meanwhile Charlie is buying and selling million pound Horses...please guys get your priorities in order.

3.he needs real management to get him consistant sideman work and recording contracts.I find it hard to believe a man of his talent which clearly is still intact would have a hard time finding PERMANENT work backing up say sheryl crow or
countless other POPULAR working/touring acts.

4.Write a tell all biography with a ghost writer.He was there for the peak of the mayhem...why not document his side of the story-a contract like that is worth a million pounds alone.This in turn could lead to screenplay/film rights.

5.Its a bloody shame that the stones are so tight fisted to let this guy carry on as to barely scrape by.

6.They technically don't owe him anything but morally they do.

7.He has to get off his ass and chase the money down...as it will never fall into his lap without him pursuing any of the above options.

8.release some live shows which included MT and make sure he is cut in on the proceeds-this alone could pull him right out of the mire

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-15 16:28 by nanker's phelge.

Posted by: turd ()
Date: September 15, 2009 16:36

I hate to be harsh, but this is a real losers story.
Mick T isn't the first and wont be the last to have had a sniff of stardom and come away affected. Think of, typically, Pete Best, Jet Harris, even Dick Taylor, Carlo Little etc... Some didn't even get a decent sniff.
It's not in Mick T's genetic make up to chase the glory he once had. He had a very, very lucky break when he joined the Stones. He owes his 'popularity' and fame to them alone (forget John Mayall, - anyone remember the drummers name in 1968 without looking it up?).
He has gone through the passage of time like a typical troubador, highs and lows, but never any more real success. You can't live off previous glories forever.
However, at least he has remained a professional musician and not had to go get a proper job for his living. He has trees in his garden and a VW Passat in his drive, Suffolk is a nice place too.
He has some great yarns to tell and probably never has to buy a drink down the pub - I don't call that a bad life.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: September 15, 2009 16:41

nanker's phelge
The stones have no reservation paying hubert sumlin's bills or donating to countless charities so at this point wouldn't it stand to reason that they could share something for MT's retirement?

The difference is that people like Sumlin admit that they are broke. But whenever stories pop up that Taylor is broke, can't pay his bills and lives in a deranged shithole, there is always someone who raises his voice to declare that all this is not true and "totally and entirely made up" by certain newspapers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-15 16:43 by retired_dog.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 15, 2009 17:42

to all the nay sayers ,just maybe MICK TAYLOR has pride .i would have a army of laywers going after whats mine ,but maybe that is beneath taylor .he could do all kinds of things .imagine the tell all he could write and really dish the dirt from within the band.think like the tony sanchez book except from taylor's ears and eyes .can you imagine the #$%^ flying? to me seems like when he left he did not look in the rearview mirror.now what jagger/richards should do is pay the man whatever is owed to him ,but you know it and i know it sir tightwad will never let go of a pound !

Mick Taylor sues Stones
Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: September 15, 2009 05:34

Never mind...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-15 06:02 by ChrisM.

Re: Mick Taylor sues Stones
Posted by: Smokey ()
Date: September 15, 2009 05:38

This seems to be a re-write of the discredited Daily Mail story. Anything new here?

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: September 15, 2009 05:48

I didn't read or even know about the Mail story, just the story linked here...

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: September 15, 2009 06:01

http://www.iorr.org/talk/read.php?1,1122939,page=4

Yeah Chris,this story has been on the front page of IORR the last 3 days.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 15, 2009 06:58

YEAH Chris wait at the head office ..... The boss will speak to you soon.

ROCKMAN

Re: Mick Taylor sues - but who?
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 15, 2009 08:56

hm: the way the Mail story is being picked up by various other media
might be part of why Lightning said Mick T is considering suing the Mail

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 15, 2009 18:31

I love how Mick Taylor does such fictitious things! Next thing you know he'll be suing The Rolling Stones! Just like how he was gonna do so much when he left! Fantastic!

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: September 15, 2009 18:51

Do you take great pleasure in kicking the man when he's down, skipstone?
Do you find it very classy?
In that case, I think you might find yourself a bit out numbered.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: September 15, 2009 19:30

I like Mick Taylor and he has lived a life that he chose too.. He didn't have to leave the Stones..Jagger, and even Charlie said he could have just taken time off and do other things... Bill Wyman did and he recorded Monkee Grip...Mick could have gone on the tour of America and raked in tons of cash and then left.
Mick T. LEFT THE sTONES JUST BEFORE they wanted to tour. But he left them without a guitar player and started his Own band.

Mick t. could have worked harder in the early 80's to form a new band..But he didn't. He did him own thing.
You can't tell me with all the connections Mick made with the Stones that he couldn't find a new band.

Mick Taylor reminds me of the old Black Bluesmen...Plays to make himself happy...Whether he has 0 fans or 1,000,000 fans.

He also really doesn't care about the cash but i agree they should pay him what they owe him...

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: September 15, 2009 19:32

He's right to sue, we all know that, don't we? Perhaps a bit late, but still - he deserves a couple of millions from the Stones imho.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 15, 2009 19:34

i agree with your post, hot stuff. MT left on his own terms and hasn't looked back - seems to me that he's charted a course that fits him, whether it fits his fans or not. good for him....

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: September 15, 2009 20:15

Doesn't matter what MT did or didn't do "right" in his life, which in any case is for him to judge - he's the only one living his life, after all - but if he's still owed dues, it's about time he was paid them.

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: September 15, 2009 20:31

here is some info I can share :

"the Daily Mail article is the work of Bob Graham an ex - classmate of Mick’s, commissioned by the ‘Sunday Times Magazine’ to do a piece

as one of a series of articles on Rock n Roll icons , the first being Bob Dylan which Mick thought was a well written and interesting. (Not written by Bob I have to say!)

Bob followed MT around on the last German tour chatting with Mick and compiling the article with the condition that MT's management would have absolute editorial control of both written word and photographs.

It is unbelievable that he should not only have sold it to the Daily Mail with no authority what-so-ever,but added a totally fabricated piece about Mick being broke and living in a run-down hovel -

Mick is certainly not broke and is living in Holland while the house in question, (which has been uninhabited for some time) , is being renovated.

Also , Mick is certainly not preparing to sue the Rolling Stones!"

End of Speculation maybe ...

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: September 15, 2009 21:11

Thanks Gripweed for the correction....Mick T. has alway been a gentleman when it comes to other musicians.
Sad that we find people still looking for him to "cry" or "bitch" about coming or leaving the Stones...
I just put on Sticky fingers or GHS or IORR and say Thanks Mick!

Posted by: MonkeyTrain ()
Date: September 15, 2009 21:12

The story is a load of crap.

From today's NME: [www.nme.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-16 00:23 by MonkeyTrain.

Posted by: Bliss ()
Date: September 15, 2009 21:37

Well, thank you for the update, Gripweed and Monkey Train. But the pictures of Mick in the recent article and the one from 2007 raise some questions. And however good friends Mick may be with the Stones, if he is owed money from unpaid royalty fees, then he should be paid. I will be very surprised if the quotes in the article turn out to be complete fabrication.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-15 21:38 by Bliss.

Posted by: S.T.P ()
Date: September 15, 2009 22:12

Ok, We've done Charlie, and now Mick T. -What's next, Keith playing keyboards...?

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 801
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home