Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Track Talk: Crazy Mama
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 7, 2009 20:57

Luke, I am your father.

Posted by: CharliesSinger ()
Date: September 7, 2009 21:23

audun-eg
Of Course it's open G. Both Mick and Keith plays open G in the DD clip.

Keith plays it in standard tuning at the Double Door.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: September 7, 2009 21:27

Keith is in open G at the DD.

Date: September 7, 2009 21:30

skipstone
Keith is in open G at the DD.

Nope. Its standard.

Posted by: HeatherAnnePeel ()
Date: September 7, 2009 22:37

Sorry, but "Crazy Mama" is definitely in open G.

Date: September 7, 2009 22:42

HeatherAnnePeel

Keith definitely plays it in standard at the Double Door.

Date: September 7, 2009 22:43

Yeah, but I'm talking about the record. One of the rhythm guitars, likely Jagger's, is in open G.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: September 7, 2009 23:00

To me it was something like Star Star from Goat's Head Soup - a consoling end to a record that has its highlights but that wasn't overall satisfying.

Date: September 7, 2009 23:04

"Goats Heads Soup" is one of my fave Stones albums, and it was the first one I bought the day of it's release in 1973 at the age of 10, something I have done with every Stones release since.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-07 23:04 by HeatherAnnePeel.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: September 7, 2009 23:14

HeatherAnnePeel
"Goats Heads Soup" is one of my fave Stones albums, and it was the first one I bought the day of it's release in 1973 at the age of 10, something I have done with every Stones release since.

Heather Anne, I actually share your argument - but with a "delay". If yours is GHS mine is It's Only Rock'n'Roll: My first self bought (Stones - see the text in the next bracket...) record (actually, to confess, I had the financial choice between IORR and Who's Next and decided for... at the very first time) and therefore this record is very very special to me. But I can follow your general idea about it. I'd rather put an "unusual" Stones album like GHS or Satanic on my player than Let It Bleed or Exile all the time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-07 23:14 by JJHMick.

Date: September 7, 2009 23:18

Yeah, "Goats Head Soup", "It's Only Rock 'n Roll" and "Black And Blue" are all huge faves of mine. These albums represent when I began really getting into the Stones and seriously playing guitar.

Date: September 7, 2009 23:18

Studio version: Mick Open G, Keith standard, Ronnie standard

DidnĀ“t watch the Open Door clip too closely... might be possible Keith is playing Open G there.

Date: September 7, 2009 23:25

Yep, that's the line-up.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: September 7, 2009 23:49

CharliesSinger
audun-eg
Of Course it's open G. Both Mick and Keith plays open G in the DD clip.

Keith plays it in standard tuning at the Double Door.

Yes, by looking closer I see that he is. He still tosses in some of the open G chords though. Byt when moving to G you can see him doing a powerchord on 3. fret. You're absolutely right. smiling smiley

[www.reverbnation.com]

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: September 8, 2009 01:07

..love the attitude...love the riffs...love the singer and the song....

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: September 8, 2009 03:54

CharliesSinger
HeatherAnnePeel

Keith definitely plays it in standard at the Double Door.

Definitely. At the Double Door gig...Keith doesn't change guitars when going from "Crazy Mama" to "The Last Time"...he's in standard. Can't play "The Last Time" with all those licks in "E" when you're in Open G.

Date: September 8, 2009 04:05

Right, he plays in in standard at the DD. My point, once again, is that there is open G guitar on the original recording.

Date: September 8, 2009 04:07

On another notw, I have five Telecasters in my collection tuned to open G. My main standard tuning guitars are my Ampeg Dan Armstrongs, a 1970 original and a 2006 RI:

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: September 8, 2009 04:44

HeatherAnnePeel
A classic track, one that definitely served as a blueprint for the the early Black Crowes sound. Also, a fave of mine, along with "Hand Of Fate"; featuring Wayne Perkins' killer solo and Keith's great open G rhythm playing, as this one does, as well.

don't disagree that the sound of a song like crazy mama influenced the black crowes....
but wouldn't you think if it was a "blueprint for the early Black Crowes sound" they would
have covered it? seeing as they've done several Stones covers....

so maybe one of the songs they've covered was a "blueprint".

IORR............but I like it!

Date: September 8, 2009 05:00

To my knowledge, you are correct, they have not covered it. However, being influenced by something goes beyond that. I am certain that when Rich and Chris were young they absorbed it, as a lot of us did. I have never covered it in a band, either (I have covered a LOT of Stones songs from that era), however, I have played it. It's a certain vibe and groove that directly correlates to things like "Jealous Again". Mind you, there is WAY more to the Black Crowes than the Stones influence. but in their early days, it was more apparent, a jumping off point, if you will. Rich has taken open G in his own direction, one that is vastly different than Keith's. I began playing and writing in open G in 1983, and used to play it in the 5 string configuration like Keith, but hearing Rich on albums like "The Southern Harmony And Musical Companion" and "Amorica" led me to putting the 6th string (D in open G) back on. There's lots of way cool drones, riffs and chords that are facilitated by leaving all six strings on that are simply not possible playing a 5 string using the tuning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-09-08 05:01 by HeatherAnnePeel.

Date: September 8, 2009 16:28

Jealous Again is more like Faces (round Ooh La La) to me, but I see what you mean.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 9, 2009 17:51

to me this is the best track off black and blue.here i am listening to this at work thru the pc and i am blasting it thru the speakers and this sounds so good .the stones in all there raw ragged glory,this is why the glimmers are called the GREATEST rock and roll band in the world .nobody does it better !!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: RSbestbandever ()
Date: September 9, 2009 18:07

One of my all time favorite Rolling Stones songs.

Mike

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: September 9, 2009 18:19

Isn't this the song that Ronnie supposedly co-wrote and that caused all the fuss because he didn't get a writing credit?

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: September 9, 2009 18:43

Silver Dagger
Isn't this the song that Ronnie supposedly co-wrote and that caused all the fuss because he didn't get a writing credit?

not sure about any fuss that ensued, but there are dozens of songs that fit that profile, surely....

Posted by: drewmaster ()
Date: September 19, 2010 05:14

The Greek
to me this is the best track off black and blue. this sounds so good .the stones in all there raw ragged glory,this is why the glimmers are called the GREATEST rock and roll band in the world .nobody does it better !!!!!!!!!!!!

Agree completely. Crazy Mama is one of the my absolute favorite Stones tracks from the 70s. Those guitars, man, they sound soooooo good, so vibrant and alive. And Mick, tearing the roof off with his yowls about this psychotic, insane woman. A red-hot classic that shows the world that no one else can touch the Stones, even a few years past their supposed "peak".

Drew

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 27, 2015 01:21

although start me up was stones-by-numbers done perfectly, this is the stones-by-numbers done pretty well. cool track to put on when you want something very up beat, rocking and stonesy but not a warhorse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-27 01:25 by Turner68.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: August 27, 2015 01:24

crazy mama is a good stones rocker on an otherwise below average album, could never be considered a classic though.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: August 27, 2015 17:52

Just brilliant. Grinding, stripper, rock and roll. Love the sound, the feel and the playing. And the production is just perfect too. One of their best I reckon.

Rod

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: August 27, 2015 18:15

I love it - title, the strange riff, fade out (where the riff ascends and descends repeatedly), Jaggers vocals...another fun track from the 'new' 70s Stones.

Also, well suited for the Black & Blue album, a decent closer (like 'Star Star' on GHS album...which I think was what they were shooting for).

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2127
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home